InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Birth Marks ❯ kagome-okaa-san ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sorry for not updating on Friday, I had a dance to get ready for and I couldn't sit down long enough to type anything up.
 
Disclaimer: you all know he's not mine, so stop asking! (But here's to wishful thinking!).
 
(Peanut gallery) “Spoken” <thought> :: Inu-language::
 
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
 
Last time: <He's asleep. Poor thing, that looked like he was hit hard> “Shippou, Shippou, can you hear me? Can you wake up now?” Kagome whispered in the boy's ear. <Blood, not good. He hit the wall hard> Shippou moved slightly at his name, but stayed asleep. Kagome picked him up and carried him gently, trying not to irritate the back of his head that was cut badly. She walked back to join the others.
++++++++++
“…Better wake up before we leave you here,” Miroku heard a female voice say as Sango's form came into focus.
 
“Ugh, what happened? Did we win?” Miroku asked as one hand went to his head and the other went to Sango's butt. Her eyes went wide and a hand mark appeared on his face, nearly knocking him unconscious, again.
 
Sango was helping the monk up as Kagome came back to the group holding Shippou. The kitsune stirred, waking up from his induced sleep. “Okaa-san? (Mom)” he mumbled, apparently really out if it. Shippou's nose moved slightly, smelling what was going on before opening his eyes. <Who's carrying me? I don't know the smell, it's like Kagome's, but it's not her> Shippou thought, opening his eyes a crack to see an unfamiliar angle of a face he felt he knew.
 
“Shh, shh, Shippou! Calm down! Calm down before you hurt yourself!” the stranger said, trying to hold the kitsune still. The voice was just like Kagome's also.
 
Shippou struggled out of the stranger's grasp and into Sango's. “Where's Kagome you impostor?” the kitsune yelled at the stranger, tears falling slowly.
 
Kagome knelt in front of Sango and Shippou with a sympathetic look on her face. “I'm hurt Shippou, please don't call me an impostor. You know that that hurts when you say it. I'm here…”
 
Your not Kagome!” he yelled even louder, pushing into Sango more.
 
Inuyasha came over and sat down by the bewildered monk “this should be interesting” is all he mumbled.
 
“Shippou! Shippou, calm down and listen to me! Why would someone want to impersonate me?” Kagome asked, hoping her psychology would work.
 
“Be-because… to ge-get rid of us! O-or to sepera-ate us!” Shippou sobbed, wiping his tears on his shirt.
 
“Shippou, look at me, do I look like a fake? I know that you know me better as a ningen (human), but this is really what I look like,” Kagome grabbed Shippou's head in her hands, making him look at her. “I look mostly the same, and smell mostly the same, so I'm the same person, just with a better body” at this, Miroku looked her up and down and nodded slightly. Inuyasha noticed this and growled just audibly enough for Kagome to hear. She fought the urge to show that she had heard him
 
Shippou sniffed slightly in Kagome's direction to prove her words true. He looked at her eyes; “did Inuyasha do this to you?” the kit asked innocently enough with big eyes.
 
Kagome couldn't help but laugh, “no! He couldn't… do any… sealing charms even… if he wanted… to!” Kagome explained between laughs. Shippou looked hurt and insulted when Kagome opened her eyes back up after sobering up as much as she could. “Sorry Shippou, but it was Ji-chan that put a spell on me that made me human,” she tried to explain, opening her arms to the kitsune.
 
He came up to Kagome slowly, sniffing every so often to make sure that she still smelled like Kagome. “I'll tell you all the rest of the story tonight when we set up camp.” The girl said, standing up with Shippou in her arms.
 
“Don't forget the jewel, wench. That's why we came here in the first place” Inuyasha growled, walking off to find a decent camp site for the night…preferably up wind of the town.
 
“You need to be nicer to me now, you know that Inuyasha,” Kagome warned, turning to find the jewel shard and pick it up.
 
Inuyasha just growled and left. Sango and Miroku stood off to the side and were watching the couple like a tennis match. “I'd say that they fight like cats and dogs, but that's an insult that even I won't stoop that low to say…and by the way, what happened to Kagome?” Miroku asked a bewildered Sango, who just shrugged.
 
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][ ][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
 
Kagome stooped to pick up the Shikon shard and purify it. “Miss! Miss! Can I talk to you?” a man yelled from the other side of the road, waving his hand.
 
Kagome straightened up and smiled at the running man, “what is it sir?” Kagome asked back, letting him catch his breath from running the distance of the whole village.
 
“ I… I just wanted t…to th…thank you f…for saving my wi…wife f…from that burning hut!” he said more to the ground than to Kagome.
 
She put her hands on his shoulders so he wouldn't fall over. “Catch your breath, then continue. I would like to hear what you have to say and I am not in any hurry,” Kagome said in a motherly tone, still managing to hold onto Shippou at the same time.
 
The villager was still breathing heavily, but managed to bow to his wife's savior. “ I want to thank you for saving my wife from the hut earlier. She is doing fine now, but her legs are temporarily harmed too much to thank you herself. She sent me to find you before you left and to give you this: a token of our appreciation and gratitude.” He held up a medallion on a silk cord, “If you show this to any inn keeper in this area of Japan, you will get a free night's rest and free meals. This is your gift from the lord of the south-western fishing village.” The lord bowed again and left Kagome with a grin on her face.
 
“Thank you so very, very much!” she called after his retreating form.
 
“What's that okaa-san?” Shippou asked, touching the medal.
 
Kagome looked down at the kitsune, <wah, did he just call me mommy? > She thought before answering. “It's our ticket to comfort on the way back to Kayede's village,” Kagome smirked, turning to the direction Inuyasha went.
 
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}< /div>
 
“Come on, we don't want to lose Inuyasha in the woods, do we?” Kagome laughed towards Sango and Miroku. They were both confused at Kagome's sudden gaiety.
 
“Umm…” Miroku tried to speak, pointing lightly at the medallion.
 
“Come on Miroku! You too, Sango!” Kagome called over her shoulder.
 
All they could do was exchange confused glances and follow the retreating hanyou, bouncing Shippou on her hip. <Shippou called me mommy, I guess I am the closest thing that he has for one now. And now I can relate to him easier now, being half demon, I mean…> Kagome was just happy about this little fact: < I wonder if I can really adopt him now. We treat each other like family enough, why can't we just make it official now? >
 
“Arg! Ahh! That hurts!” Miroku hissed as he tried to step on his left foot tenderly. Sango knelt down and looked through a burnt hole in his lower robes. She then lifted them up just enough to see his left ankle. It was burnt severely and had raw pink flesh showing inside the black scorched hole on the outer side.
 
“Wah…Kagome! Help me with Miroku, he was burned in the battle and we need to help him walk to camp,” Sango called over, putting one arm around her shoulders to support his weight. Kagome turned around from her bouncing game with Shippou and gasped. She saw the hole in his robes and the smoke still pouring from the opening.
 
Kagome ran back to the couple and grabbed Miroko's other arm like Sango had. “You still have to walk, but this will ease the pain until I can dress it.” Kagome looked at her friend's hands trying to move to their intended destination. “And we're keeping your hands in check, and if you even think of trying something, you'll have to walk the whole way by yourself.” Kagome warned in a low growl.
 
 
“Did you really mean what you said earlier Shippou?” Kagome asked, sitting the kitsune in her lap after dinner.
 
They had finally found Inuyasha after an hour of wandering. He had found a pretty decent campsite with a hot spring not even 100 feet away. From the looks of it, he had even made a fire pit already and cleared places for Sango, Shippou, Kilala, and Miroku in their usual places, but not one for Kagome. No one had said anything and was just waiting for Inuyasha to explain himself. It was after dinner and still no explanation. Come to think of it, he had been acting strange about Kagome for the past few days and Kagome had no clue either.
 
“What are you talking about Kagome-okaa-san?” Shippou looked up at Kagome with his huge eyes in pure innocence.
 
“That, you're calling me mom. Why?” Kagome asked back just a little annoyed at him being so innocent.
 
“What do you want me to call you then, Kagome-okaa-san?” the boy responded, blinking several times in confusion.
 
“It's fine if you call me okaa-san, I just want to know why you want to call me that now,” Kagome replied, hugging her adopted “son” and smiling at him. Inuyasha looked down at the two and sighed, remembering how his mother would hold him like that.
 
< If Kagome is mine, and Shippou is hers, then Shippou is mine also. That means I have to be nice to that brat now, don't I? > Inuyasha thought, jumping down from the tree and picking Kagome up bridal style.
 
“What are you doing Inuyasha?” Kagome asked wide-eyed as he jumped back into the tree with the two others. Shippou was still being held tightly in Kagome's arms.
 
Inuyasha draped the haori and his arms over the hanyou and demon in his lap. “It's getting cold and with what Kagome's wearing, she can get sick in the weather. And as long as you don't move too much, I won't notice you and push you off her.” He shrugged and turned his hard face to the two humans looking up at them from the fire.
 
Kagome leaned back and prompted Shippou to continue. “ Well, I… I guess since you decided to take care of me, I kinda got attached to you and I guessed that you love me enough…” Shippou didn't need to continue. Kagome hugged him again and smiled. She was thinking the same thing about Shippou: her son and her, his mother. Of course adopted, but that didn't really matter to them or anyone close to the group.
 
Inuyasha nodded at the explanation slightly and relaxed into the tree trunk. Fifty years stuck to one and he had started to like the bark feeling on his back.
 
Miroku looked back to Sango, who was across the fire and out of his wandering arm's reach. “Do you think Lady Kagome will adopt Shippou officially?" he asked in a wondering tone, rubbing his bandages lightly. Kagome had to cut away the burnt flesh that was too “cooked” to repair itself in the healing process and had to put some smelly ointment on to prevent infection. To summarize nicely: Miroku was not the most comfortable monk in the world and he wasn't his most perky self either.
 
“I hope so, they are great with each other and they act like they need each other by now. It would be a shame if they didn't do the adoption,” Sango said distractedly as she was using a brush from Kagome's time to try to brush out some of the salamander blood clots out of her hair. The girls would get a bath first thing in the morning so the night air wouldn't freeze their hair.
 
“ I was actually thinking of doing that already, Miroku!” Kagome called down from her relaxed position, staring into the fire.
 
“Sorry about that, lady Kagome. I had forgotten that you now have enhanced senses. But I would like to see the ceremony when it happens.” He offered, “I could even officiate it!”
 
Kagome nodded and closed her eyes. It wasn't even dark yet and she was tired. She had never done any close-range fighting before, and breaking a sealing spell took a lot of energy.
 
“Go ahead and rest, you had a long day,” Kagome's ear turned to Inuyasha as he said that.
 
“Inu-Inuyasha?…… Thank……….. you,” was all she could say before nodding off to sleep. This is how life should be: her, her mate, and her pup.
 
(Kagome's dream)
 
“Kagome? Do you like it?” Inuyasha asked. I looked at his golden eyes and then to the hut that he had build in secret the past month with Shippou's help.
 
“So this was Shippou's weapon training, huh?” I put my hands on my hips in fake anger. The hanyou shrunk back slightly before nodding slightly. I jumped on him in a gigantic hug, forcing him to the ground on his back. I kissed him and sat back up on his stomach.
 
“You're getting too dangerous for this!” Inuyasha grinned before pulling her back into another kiss.
 
“Okaa-san! Otou-san! Are you out there!” a now teenage Shippou came out of the hut. He was dressed like a blue version of his adopted father, only he insisted on always wearing that fur vest that grew with him. Ever since we had adopted him, he had taken on some more Inu-like features: there were streaks of silver in his strawberry-blonde tail and iridescent black in his fiery hair. He was really growing into a handsome youkai and I would always be proud of him
 
“Yes, Shippou, I was just thanking your father for the house. It's beautiful!” I said, pulling away from the slightly embarrassing position on my mate. Even with the Inu-kitsune less that oblivious to his parent's antics, they were still shy about open affection to each other.
 
I gave Inuyasha another peck on the cheek and walked inside the hut that still had the sweet sap smell in it. I turned back to the two main men in my life and grinned. This would be a perfect place to raise a family, maybe going beyond Shippou and to a bloodline heir to the Inu-throne.
 
“It's small for now, but this can get bigger if you want,” Inuyasha offered, standing beside Shippou and I.
 
“Can this get any better?” I asked, leaning my head on my mate's shoulder and sighing. <No, it can't> I answered myself and closed my eyes.
 
(End dream)
 
<Mmm… I wonder what she could be thinking of to get her scent so excited a minute ago> Inuyasha sniffed lightly and replaced his chin between her ears.
 
“ Inuyasha, can you tell us the rest of what happened?” Sango called up, snapping him out of his light daydream. He growled lightly and hugged Kagome closer. He wasn't the type to interrupt in his rare daydreams.
 
:: Danger?:: Kagome whimpered, digging her fist into his haori with one hand and holding a drowsy Shippou closer. This surprised Inuyasha slightly.
 
:: No, male mad at other female:: he turned his attention to the bodies on his lap and replied to the sleeping girl, who relaxed slightly at this. <How?…of course, she knows this because of her being hanyou! > He realized. He would need to be more careful with his vocabulary in two languages now! <But she probably doesn't know what she is saying yet, being raised by her mother> he concluded.
 
“Not now, let Kagome rest for now. And then both of us can tell you what happened,” he let them off at that and tried to get to sleep. Him, his Koi, and his soon-to-be-adopted son. Perfect.
 
````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````````````````````````
Fluff-o-matic chapter and I'm lovin' it! Please review and see ya next time! (This might not happen for a couple of weeks because of the end of school, moving, and getting free time over the summer!) Domo arigato for reading and bearing with me! Dark Inu Fan