InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Birth Marks ❯ demon salamander ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hmm…what happens when there's a teenager with a computer, almost no homework that week, and wanting minimal human contact (is my immediate family really considered human?)? more than one chapter in a week!
 
Disclaimer: you all know he's not mine, so stop asking! (But here's to wishful thinking!). Also, Godzilla is not mine either!
 
(Peanut gallery) “Spoken” <thought>
 
Yeah, so… here it goes!
 
<><><><><><><><>& lt;><><><><><><><><>< ><><><><><><><><><> ;
(Don't you love my borders?)
 
Chapter 4: Demon Salamander
 
Last time: Gin continued: “the two fated for each other will finally join the pack together and unite the lands after the almost eternal split of territories.” Gin sighed at the finally of the story and grinned at the look on the teenagers faces. It was priceless!
 
This time: “umm… mom…what are you saying?” Kagome asked in an uncertain tone. She was getting even more confused (like she could get more confused!).
 
Gin smiled. She was enjoying dragging her daughter on like this, and oh! The irony! Gin put on her most serious face; “you are both destined for each other!” the serious look didn't work. Gin got up and left the two to talk to each other.
 
“Destined”
 
“Yeah”
 
“What should we say to the others when we get back?” Inuyasha asked, resuming the hair stroking. “They won't sense anything different about you for a while. Should we really tell them, or wait until later?” he was thinking out loud.
 
“I don't know, but they'll probably notice some differences. After spring break, the school uniform changes to short sleeves. They would definitely notice this red `beacon' on my arm. When they do, I'll tell them.” Kagome answered.
 
Inuyasha stood up and picked up Kagome bridal-style. “Then lets go now! That's why I came here today in the first place!” Inuyasha yelled over a screaming Kagome and leapt into the well.
 
“…You jerk! You trickster! YOU BAKA!” Kagome screamed. The rest of the group nodded to each other and sipped their tea. Yep, Inuyasha said he'd get her, and he did. Even with her kicking and screaming. Kagome must have been really pissed for her voice to carry all the way to the village, about a mile away.
 
Inuyasha unceremoniously dropped Kagome onto the ground. “Thank you,” he said, grinning and blocking her way back through the well.
 
Kagome brushed off her shorts and started walking to the village, there was no way she could get back now.
 
“Come back here wench!” Inuyasha yelled at her back
 
“No you idiot!” Kagome yelled over her shoulder.
 
“Bitch” he mumbled, jogging to catch up to her. (No, not the cuss word, even if he meant it that way, it was just a reference to a female dog)
 
“Thanks for the compliment!” Kagome pronounced, continuing to walk. Inuyasha was stunned for a second before he caught up with her.
 
<Well, that one doesn't work anymore. > He thought.
 
The two continued to bicker as the rest of the group caught up to them. “Kagome! I thought that you were staying in your time for the week. What happened?” Miroku asked, eyeing her clothing selection. Sango hit the back of his head with her fist without saying anything. (Sorry, but its tradition in my mind to have Miroku beat up at least once)
 
“What's that?” Shippou asked, jumping up on Kagome's right arm. His tail was hiding Kagome's mark. “Did Inuyasha finally mark you?” Kagome blushed redder than her mark and gave the kitsune to Sango.
 
Kagome subconsciously covered the mark with her hand, “I'll tell you tonight, and no, he didn't mark me!” she said, trying to calm down.
 
“Lets go sometime today!” Inuyasha called from the edge of the woods.
 
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= -=-
 
<They left before I could finish, oh well! I can tell her when she comes back next time. Hopefully the spell wont be broken by the time she comes back> Gin thought as she saw Inuyasha jump into the well house.
 
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_
 
“Wow! Your father's mark. But, I only thought that demons passed on markings to their lineage.” Sango exclaimed. The group was around the campfire, getting ready for bed. And unfortunately, Kagome was stuck with sleeping on the cold, hard forest ground in her shorts and tank top.
 
She hadn't told them yet that she was a hanyou. In fact, she was still digesting that fact herself. All she had really said was that she inherited the mark from her father's side of the family. And that she had really never really known her biological father.
 
Shippou was sitting next to Kagome, hoping to sleep in her sleeping bag that she would magically produce out of nowhere. Kagome sighed and tried to smooth the kitsune's fluffy tail. A thing she never really thought about doing, but just did. “Why don't you sleep with Sango tonight. You can keep the evil boogie hentai (pervert, in this case: Miroku) away from her!” Kagome said with fake enthusiasm. Shippou grinned and leapt to Sango's side on the sleeping mat.
 
Kagome leaned back against the tree trunk and looked up at a relaxed Inu-hanyou in the tree across form her. He looked down to her out of the corner of his eye and turned away from her. “Humph” <If she gets cold, I'll grab her and bring her up here> he thought before closing his eyes.
 
With the rest of the group asleep, Inuyasha was feeling the slight vibrations of Kagome shivering on the other side of the camp. It was spring, yes, but the nights were still as cold as winter. Inuyasha woke up and took off his fire-rat haori. He jumped down and wrapped it around Kagome's small frame. He then picked her up, careful not to wake her, and jumped back onto his branch. He then adjusted her on his person and went back to sleep, careful not to let her fall out of the tree. (Ooh…a little OOC? Maybe).
 
“Inu…yasha?” Kagome asked in her sleep. The hanyou boy froze stiff, thinking that he had awakened the girl. He listened…no, steady breathing and heartbeat told him that.
 
<Heh, must be dreaming of me> the boy thought as he pushed her head gently against his chest, letting her use it as a pillow. They slept a mostly peaceful night, except when Kagome moved, or a strong gust of wind shook the tree. She didn't notice any of this.
 
The pre-dawn reared its ugly head and Inuyasha woke to it to put Kagome back. The last thing he needed was the group to think he was getting soft. He turned back to Kagome as he reached his sleeping tree. Kagome was so beautiful when she was asleep, wrapped in his haori.
 
Wait a minute! His haori! Inuyasha grabbed it and gently unwound it from Kagome. She whimpered a little as her warmth left.
 
He put the jacket back on and jumped back onto his branch. He tried to sleep until food would wake him up, as usual.
 
“Inuyasha” Kagome mumbled again in her sleep, the boy looked down at her. “Ousarwi” (did I spell that right?)
 
Inuyasha screamed in surprise as he was “pulled” down to the earth 15 feet below the branch he was sitting on. And, unfortunately, he had taken the branch down with him and was now on top of it.
 
That woke everyone up instantly, and quieted down the local birds for a good minute before becoming even louder than before.
 
“What happened Inuyasha?”, “did you fall out of the tree again?” came the questions of his bleary-eyed friends.
The boy spit out the dirt in his mouth, “bleh, Kagome was sleep-talking and she `sat' me in her dream,” Inuyasha growled, staring at the girl that was currently failing at looking innocent.
 
“Since we're all up, we should make breakfast and get going,” Miroku suggested, stretching out from his spot opposite and out of arms reach of the girls.
 
Kagome looked down at her flip-flop and started picking a grass blade out. <I'm the one who usually brings food for breakfast, and since I don't have my pack, I don't have any breakfast for them. > Kagome sighed and looked up.
 
Surprisingly, the housai pulled out a small package of rice balls from his robe and divvied them out. “I always have a package of rice balls, just in case someone I come by needs some food,” he explained.
 
Kagome didn't move when the group grabbed their food. “Lady Kagome, are you not going to eat this morning?” the monk asked, holding one in front of her face. He smiled as she grabbed it and took small bites.
 
<That smile!… hold on, Kagome, what are you thinking about. Your Inuyasha's. AND HE'S A HENTAI! > She mentally slapped herself and finished off her food.
 
The entire process of `packing up' today was rolling up Sango's reed sleeping mat and blanket and making sure the fire was out. A precaution that Kagome insisted on.
 
“Where are we going on this hunt?” Sango asked, shouldering her giant boomerang.
 
“There are rumors of a jewel shard that has found its way to a giant salamander demon and it's demolishing everything. We should see if the rumor is true before Noraku decides to get it himself. It's only a couple of days away and the town there is a good one,” Miroku described, heading eastward.
 
The group followed him through the forest to a well-beaten path. “Oi, monk! Why are we walking when riding would be faster?” Inuyasha asked from the back of the group, following Kagome.
 
“Do you have any hurry Inuyasha?” Miroku called over his shoulder, not even bothering to stop and look the hanyou in the eye.
 
“Keh,” is all he said in response, looking over to the left of the path. <Why don't we just hurry up and go so we can get the shard faster and get Kagome back faster. I know she said that she wanted this week of from everything so se could relax. But her being in her own time too long makes me worried and I am lonely when she is there…> wham! Inuyasha face-planted himself into a tree trunk that the others had gone around.
 
Kagome and the others tried to stop laughing, but it didn't work. “You should watch where you're going and you wouldn't hit yourself!” Shippou called, finally giving in to the funny situation.
 
The fed-faced hanyou sidestepped the tree and glared at the kitsune. Why you little br…”
 
“KAGOMEEEE” Shippou screamed, climbing up to her head. Kagome sighed and plucked the kitsune off her head and held him to her chest protectively.
 
Kagome gave Inuyasha that don't-even-dare-to-touch-him-or-you-will-regret-it-later look and continued to follow the monk and demon-slayer. <She's got the look down. Oh, I can't wait until her powers show up! > Inuyasha thought, rolling his eyes.
 
8080808080808080808080808080808080808080808080808080808080808
 
“Just over this next rise, we're almost there!” the monk called, running to the top of the hill. They had been traveling for three days straight and they were eager to get to their destination. Miroku stopped suddenly at the top and looked down at the seaside village.
 
The breeze blew then and Inuyasha got a whiff. The town smelled like a regular harbor village, except that there was an overwhelming stench of blood, corpses and burning huts.
 
Kagome ran to stand beside the housai and gasped. It looked like one of those old Godzilla movies, with the giant lizards ruining all of Tokyo. She had to cover her mouth because her human nose could smell now and she was trying to keep her lunch down.
 
“Kagome, where is the Shikon shard?” Sango asked, holding her boomerang to strike it from a distance.
 
“It's… umm… it's in the tail, in the very tip!” Kagome pointed as the salamander used it to demolish another building.
 
(My fight scenes are bad!) The boys rushed in as Sango threw her boomerang. Kagome stayed on top of the hill with Shippou and aimed her arrow. The kitsune was too young to fight and Kagome didn't have any real fighting ability except for her arrows and miko powers.
 
Inuyasha pulled out Tetsuaga and slashed at the beast's neck. It howled and one drip of saliva dropped to the left of Miroku and burst into flames, luckily missing the monk.
 
Sango caught the boomerang and jumped onto a transformed Kirara's back to give air support. Kagome shot her arrow and missed by just inches of its head.
 
Kagome decided to run in to get a better aim. And help the remainder of the villagers to safety. Kagome ran to the edge of the village and into the nearest hut. Empty. Good.
 
Kagome was to her fifth hut before she found anyone, “I'm here to help you out and away from the demon,” Kagome called to the older woman that had her legs pinned under a timber from the roof.
 
The woman looked up with an expression of pure terror and agony. “Please, hurry! I need to find my husband! He took my baby and left. I was right behind him when this log fell on me. I told him to run. Please, help me!” the woman called back.
 
Kagome and Shippou rushed into the burning hut and helped the woman push the log off her legs. “Shippou, help me get her outside! Ma'am, can you use your legs?” Kagome asked, letting the woman lean on her. She nodded mutely and tried to take a step.
 
“You need to try to use your legs for now, but put your weight on me,” Kagome said, slightly frantic. They made way to the door slowly, but surely, with Shippou clearing fire out of the way with his Kitsune-Bi (fox-fire).
 
They stepped outside the hut and went around the corner towards the edge of the town. Another villager saw the two and took the woman to the rest of the surviving villagers to be treated.
 
Kagome looked back to see Inuyasha get knocked back by the demon's powerful tail. Then it turned its attention to Kagome and scrabbled towards her. The salamander quickly caught up with Kagome and pinned her under its front-left foot.
 
Kagome looked up at the yellow eyes grinning back at its next meal. She reached for her bow and arrows that were just out of her reach. “Kagome!” Shippou yelled as he tried to get the demon to let go of Kagome. “Kitsune-bi! Kitsune-bi! Kitsune-bi!”
 
The salamander shrugged off the attacks like they were annoying flies. Inuyasha was kneeling, using the Tetsuiga as a cane to try to get back up. The salamander glanced at Shippou and used its other front foot to flick him into the air and landing on the other side of the village. He slid down the hut wall he landed against, unconscious.
 
The great salamander turned its attention back to Kagome after watching the kitsune `fly' away. “Mmm… another snack for me. How lucky I am today to have such a treat of a woman to eat!” it hissed, bringing its snout closer to Kagome to smell her.
 
Kagome was terrified beyond thought and no one was able to help her. Miroku and Shippou were unconscious, Sango and Kilala couldn't see anything and were busy with its tail, and if Inuyasha even tried to move, the demon would only knock him back.
 
The demon dribbled a bit of flaming spit above Kagome and drew it back repeatedly. It was enjoying torturing the weak, pathetic, little human girl. “If you harm one hair on Kagome, You'll regret it!” Inuyasha yelled, taking a swipe at the back legs. The creature laughed and continued.
 
The only thing Kagome could do now was pray for a miracle. It came in the form of a wave of warmth from the area of her birthmark. It swept around her body like a blanket, covering every inch of her body. Whatever was happening to her impulsed her to put her hands on the demon's body. In this case, its toe.
 
Kagome did so and the blanket of energy extended to the salamander, burning and dissolving the limb enough so Kagome could sit up and reach her bow.
 
The creature screamed in pain as it backed up onto its hind legs. Kagome aimed and shot her arrow. It seemed more powerful than what it usually was when shot. The arrow hit its mark on the underbelly and threw it into the air. The giant salamander screamed again even more terribly and dissolved in mid-air.
 
The jewel fell to the ground and nobody noticed. Kagome was on all fours, trying to catch her breath. The blanket of energy settled into Kagome, and the ethereal purplish glow faded.
 
Inuyasha was the first to reach her and grabbed her shoulder gently. “Kagome, Kagome, are you all right?” he asked, trying to get a look at her eyes. He could already see a difference with her hair and…her ears. Her ears looked like normal (if you can call it that) Inu-hanyou dog-ears.
 
Kagome closed her eyes and leaned against Inuyasha, feeling a little calmed down by the hanyou's presence. She caught a smell from close range, drowning out the surrounding smells. It was woody and…and smelled free. She put her face into the haori and breathed deeply. It was oddly calming to her newly renewed senses.
 
“Kagome-chan! Are you all right?” Sango called, running up to the couple. Kagome nodded, but a red sleeve hid her new features.
 
“Are you okay now?” Inuyasha asked, helping Kagome up to her feet. But still kept the sleeve covering her head.
 
“Better now that that salamander is off me,” Kagome said, looking up at the boy hanyou.
 
<Good, her eyes didn't change too much, only specks of color. Like her hair.> He thought as he let down the sleeve slowly.
 
Sango gasped as she saw the girl's improved features from the back. Kagome's hair was like the picture's now, but it stayed the same length as before. “Ka-Kagome? Is that you?” Sango asked timidly, reaching for Kagome's shoulder.
 
Kagome turned around to her friend and smiled, showing two dainty canines by mistake. “Yes, it's me. It's just that a spell on me finally broke and this is what I really look like,” Kagome explained, gesturing to her face.
 
“W-we should wake up Miroku and go now, the demon is gone and the village can rebuild,” Sango suggested, going towards the man in black robes in the middle of the street.
 
“I'll get Shippou,” Kagome announced, heading to where the kitsune had `flown.' “And I'll tell you the rest of the story tonight.”
 
<He asleep. Poor thing, that looked like he was hit hard> “Shippou, Shippou, can you hear me? Can you wake up now?” Kagome whispered in the boy's ear. <Blood, not good. He hit the wall hard> Shippou moved slightly at his name, but stayed asleep. Kagome picked him up and carried him gently, trying not to irritate the back of his head that was cut badly. She walked back to join the others.
 
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
 
“…Better wake up before we leave you here,” Miroku heard a female voice say as Sango's form came into focus.
 
“Ugh, what happened? Did we win?” Miroku asked as one hand went to his head and the other went to Sango's butt. Her eyes went wide and a hand mark appeared on his face, nearly knocking him unconscious, again.
 
O00o00o00o00o00o00o00o00o00o00o00o00o00o00o00o00o00o00o00o00o
 
Hey guys! Long enough chapters for you all? I hope so! If anyone can tell me some Japanese phrases and words to use, it would help. Thanks!