InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Birth Marks ❯ coming home ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Thank you all for reviewing this story. What' interesting is that I have pre-written this chapter. So, I don't know if it will be up to par. But I have been working on this chapter for the past 2 months. Enjoy.
 
Disclaimer: look at my name, why would I have the word fan in my name if I owned Inuyasha? Unless I was a nut, then it would be a whole other story.
 
Chapter 12: coming home
 
Last time: “Oi!” Inuyasha repeated, chasing after her and soon catching her. He scooped her up and jumped into the well. “You're still as slow as ever Kagome.”
 
“It's because of the stupid kimono!” was the last thing that the feudal era heard before the time stream swallowed them.
 
This time: they appeared at the bottom of the well and Kagome immediately recognized a scent that hadn't been around in years. She growled quietly as she recognized whom it belonged to. “That scent, its Souta's father. Probably the most human loving being in the world. Think opposite of Sesshomaru, but worse,” Kagome took a deep breath to calm down. “Lets just hope that my window is unlocked,” she said as she jumped out of the well and peeked out of the mini-shrine's window.
 
Kagome sniffed again, that bakayarou (trust me, VERY strong language coming out of Kag's mouth there) was in the living room with the family. No, Gin was upstairs for some reason, according to her scent. “I hope she kept her promise,” Kagome whispered before running to the tree outside her window.
 
“What promise?” Inuyasha asked as he followed her up the tree. She sat down on a branch that hidden from view and motioned for Inuyasha to sit down beside her.
 
“I'm getting my memories back form before the spell was placed. One day when I was six, mom caught me coming back in through the window after escaping him and his ideas of treating me. I had run away that morning and hid in the Goshinboku until dinner. I always felt safe in that tree,” they both grinned slightly at that statement, that was something they both had in common. “She left a lunch for me on the bench and she knew I was up there the whole time. But he never found me. She was there when I decided to come in to eat dinner for the night and she was right there on the bed ready to give me a hug. She whispered one thing before she left to take care of Souta, `the window will never be locked to you and I will be waiting,'” Kagome sighed and tested the window. And sure enough, gin was in the room looking through some old photo albums that Kagome hadn't seen before. And by some, I meant that there was a pile as tall as Kagome's bed.
 
Gin looked at the window when she heard the tapping and grinned. Kagome smiled back and motioned Inuyasha to come in. the mother and daughter exchanged hugs until a voice came from downstairs. “Woman, I'm taking Souta now and you'd better not be in that filth of a hanyou's room again!” he yelled, starting to come upstairs.
 
Gin's eyes went wide, “hurry, go into the room, do you remember where it is?” she asked in a barely audible whisper. Kagome nodded and half-dragged Inuyasha under hr bed where there was, surprisingly, plenty of room. Kagome moved to a hidden door to the left of her closet and slid it open. She said a quiet chant as she crossed the magic barrier into a hidden room.
 
The room was big enough to comfortably have a futon, cabinets with non-perishable foods, and a small bathroom area containing a sink and toilet. There was only a little dust on top of the cabinets and nothing else. “Mom kept this room up for when step-dad visits,” was Kagome's answer to all of Inuyasha's silent questions.
 
“Don't worry, the barrier lets sound in, but no sound out. So we can talk normally here. Mom, Ji-chan and I built this into my room and disguised it as a closet. This wall that has the closet is fake. And in all reality, my room is the biggest in the house.” Kagome grinned and pulled out some shrimp ramen and a heater to boil water in. “She must've known you'd be with me this time,” Kagome mumbled, turning on the heater and getting some water from the tap to boil. Kagome had gone on automatic and all Inuyasha could do is sit on the futon and listen.
 
Once Kagome was satisfied that the heater was working, she stepped up the stepladder to look out the false air vent in time to see Kashisu bang open the door. He had light brown hair and blue eyes that seemed to see right to your very soul. He was taller than Gin and was built like a boxer with WAY too many muscles. Kagome was growling slightly at just his sight. Inuyasha was behind hr as soon as the growling started, just in case Kagome did something drastic. He walked over to Gin and hit her in the face. Inuyasha had Kagome in a bear hug within milliseconds. She was about to tear the wall down and kill him.
 
“What are you doing in this… this abomination's room? You should have killed it when you had the chance. You have a normal human child from me. All she was good for were chores anyway! He laughed at his personal joke and left.
 
Kagome regained hr senses long enough to slip out of Inuyasha's hold and out of the small door. Gin slipped a dainty rosary out of her pocket and over Kagome's head when she crawled out from under the bed and Inuyasha following. “Inuyasha: command Kagome!” Gin said just loud enough for Inuyasha to hear.
 
“Kagome stay here,” at that, an invisible force grabbed her scruff and lifted her so that her toes were grazing the carpet. Her arms and legs were totally paralyzed and she could barely move hr head, but her mouth worked perfectly fine.
 
“Let me at him! He deserves to pay for what he did to mama!” Kagome hissed with a stunned look in her eyes. She had been stopped a mere three feet from the door. Inuyasha walked in-between the door and Kagome to stare onto her red-tinged eyes. “What did you do?” she hissed into his face.
 
“You have a commanding spell now with that rosary on,” he gestured to the small white beads and black fangs on a string smirking. Kagome growled in defiance at this fact, at least she was floating in midair instead of making out with the dirt that Inuyasha was practically married to. The spell wore off and Kagome fell to her butt, not getting her feet under her fast enough. #That was good! # Inuyasha grinned before offering his hand to help her up.
 
“Take ten deep breaths before you leave this room,” he managed to say with a straight face, acting more like a parent than a boyfriend does. Kagome closed her eyes and counted to ten before trying to rip the rosary off, which (of coarse) didn't work.
 
Inuyasha had to stifle another laugh when Kagome turned to her mom, who was reading a letter that was in one of Kagome's baby scrapbooks. “Mother?” Kagome asked through clenched teeth, “why did you put a rosary on me?” Gin looked up into her daughter's barely controlled anger.
 
#Its just like every time he comes # “I don't mind you hurting him, but do not kill him on Higurashi property. And besides, Souta wouldn't talk to you for a year. Remember his arm?” Kagome winced at that memory; he hadn't even looked at Kagome for the rest of the fall break. And man, that was a dull break! “And, dear, you're your water is boiling,” Gin pointed behind herself to the hidden room. Kagome's anger was quickly dissipated as she rushed into the room and quickly turned off the heater and poured the water in the cup for Inuyasha's ramen. She crawled out from the room and handed it to a distracted boy.
 
Gin had begun to show him baby pictures. One in particular had a black demon dog holding a black demon pup by the scruff in its teeth. “That was one of the first times she found out about her demon night. Kagome was so scared that that's all that her father could do to comfort her was holding her like that all night. I think that she was about a year old in that picture. I heard from Kagome that you turn human on the new moon, correct?” gin looked into Inuyasha's eyes for the truth. He nodded glumly, suddenly jealous of Kagome's night. Gin patted his cheek, “don't worry, once you two mate, you will have a demon night also. I'm guessing on the full moon.”
 
Inuyasha swallowed his mouthful of noodles as his eyes got wide, #demon night? Does Kagome… will I go wild? # Inuyasha gulped with nervousness. Kagome kept the appearance of not being interested and looking out the window, but she had an ear turned to hear her mother.
 
“Well, if I remember correctly, it was the half-moons. When the left half was gone, she was demon for the night. Or was it the right side? I believe there is the moon in one of her demon pictures,” Gin flipped through an album with the moon phases on the cover. The first page was a sliver of a moon on the bottom. Most of the page was a sleeping Kagome in her crib and her fist stuffed into her mouth. Two words: blackmail material. She flipped through pages until the entire left half of the moon was visible. On that page was a picture of a black puppy curled on a cushion. “Isn't she so cute when she finally falls asleep! Oh, and its when the right side is gone.”
 
Kagome looked up at the day-moon, # only a few more days util the half moon. And it feels like my demon side is like the tides, and its coming in. #
 
“What was she like? When she was demon, I mean. Just so we can be prepared,” Inuyasha tried to put on a tough front, but he was scared, very scared.
 
“If I remember correctly, during the day she would turn into her humanlike demon form. She had -has - a tail and pointed ears. Not really much of a change physically. Bit she seemed on edge on those days. And then as soon as nightfall came, she would turn onto her dog form. She would always be scared out of her wits and her father would always have to calm her down. During the morning hours, she would finally calm down and sleep because her stressing used up all of her energy. The only time that I could get this photo was about half an hour before dawn!” Gin took the photo of Kagome on a cushion and gave it to Inuyasha. “I think I like this picture the best, so don't lose it in your era.”
 
“At least I'm not a fir ball those nights! But I do think that I got a good bite in once step-daddy moved in,” Kagome growled lightly when she mentioned him. “Besides, didn't he leave already with Souta? I need to get something to drink,” Kagome rushed out, followed quickly by Inuyasha and gin.
 
Kashisu was at the bottom of the stairs, leading Souta out the door for his summer visitation. He managed to look at the stair and lock eyes with Kagome. “You!” they both yelled at the same time. Souta went to give his sister a hug goodbye. But Kashisu grabbed Souta's collar and pulled him back, punching Kagome in the face at the same time. Inuyasha caught her from falling back and held her from shredding the man into microscopic pieces.
 
“Gin! You should have gotten rid of this, this filth of a sentient being. It should have been killed as soon as it was born. We don't need this thing to muddle up the clean human genes in this world. I have killed many; I shouldn't even call them beings, of this kind of things before. And you have a human heir to keep this shrine alive,” Kashisu kept a firm hold on Souta, but kept him in plain sight.
 
Inuyasha was even having a hard time restraining himself now, but was concentrating on Kagome. Her eyes were flashing red at her supposed father figure. “Kagome, calm down. All he is, is a stupid human.” Inuyasha whispered in one of Kagome's flattened ears; “he is below us. All he is, is hot air. Just please calm down, Kagome,” he was pleading to the girl in his arms now. Kashisu turned to leave, dragging Souta behind himself.
 
Gin touched her cheek gingerly as she watched her ex and son leave, #my poor boy, gone. And there is nothing I can do about it # Gin sighed. Kagome calmed down slowly as his scent faded and was replaced by Inuyasha's free one. When she looked like she was calm enough, Inuyasha put Kagome down on the bottom step. Gin looked up at Kagome's recently renewed features, finally noticing them. Well, she had noticed the furry appendages earlier, but the connection never clicked `til now.
 
“Kagome!” the excited adult squealed, causing Kagome and Inuyasha to fold their ears down from the noise that was worse than claws against a chalkboard, “you have your ears back!” Gin gave her daughter an affectionate tweak. #Just as soft as I remember, oh how I missed them # Gin thought as she tapped the pressure point at Kagome's tips, causing the girl to become drowsy.
 
Inuyasha's ears had been fine to tide over her need to tweak ears, but she missed her daughter's. Kagome sat down on the bottom step as Gin continued her tweak-scapade. Inuyasha couldn't help but snigger as he tried to make it safely into the kitchen without “sit!”
 
=Thud =
 
“What was that for, bitch?” he yelled into the carpet. Apparently she was not exactly over her whole step-dad fiasco.
 
“For laughing at me!” Kagome said with a low growl in the back of her throat while batting away her mother's hands.
 
“Its not like you laughed at her hurting my ears!” Inuyasha grumbled, “now, where is that point on Kagome?” he asked, a mischievous look in his eyes.
 
Kagome's eyes went wide as she brandished her claws. “You'd better not touch my ears!” Inuyasha barely dodged a hand before remembering the collar.
 
“Kagome, stay there,” Kagome was wrenched up out of Gin's grasp to float at the bottom of the stairs. His grin was renewed as he was instructed to where to press.
 
“I remember Kagome's dad showing me this when Kagome refused to take her nap. It would put her down instantly. And she was so cute! I remember that she sucked her thumb until she was six!” Gin caught her daughter's warning glare, “but that was only in her sleep of course.”
 
“Mom! I'm older now =oomph = I really need to work on that landing,” she muttered, brushing imaginary dust off her rear. “I can take care of myself.”
 
“Actually, in youkai, Shippou is older than you,” Inuyasha cut in, faking an innocent look. That got Kagome, and he knew it!
 
“What! He thinks of me like his own mother and I'm younger than he is? That's not right!”
 
“But you're both hanyous, right?” Gin's words were lost in the teenager's argument.
 
“Your nothing but a pup! A pup! And one that still needs to be disciplined too!”
 
“Kids?”
 
“Disciplined? Disciplined! What do you mean? I can handle myself fine. You're the one that needs to keep his mouth shut!” it was nearing screaming at each other now. Gin pulled the only weapon she had against haninus (literally: half dogs) and put it against her lips and blew, but not before noticing that they were mere inches away from kissing.
 
“Oww!” they both howled for the second that the whistle was blowing.
 
“Now that I have your attention…if you want to fight, go outside in the backyard. I don't want my house to be wrecked!” Gin said more calmly than the two could think. They slinked out, argument completely forgotten for now.
 
“Did you have any idea that she had one of those?” Inuyasha asked, visibly shaken
 
“N-no, I've never seen that around before. She probably got it while I was gone.” Kagome replied, trying to get the insistent ringing out of her poor, abused ears.
 
“What was that? It hurt,” Inuyasha asked, rubbing his head.
 
“I think that was a dog whistle. Humans use it for obedience training. I hope she never used that again!” Inuyasha nodded on agreement. Definitely do NOT get Kagome's mom mad.
 
Kagome sighed, “I guess she is tense after Kashisu coming for Souta for the summer. I'm sorry that you had to witness that. Souta goes with him every summer and comes back in time for school in the fall. I never found out what he does every summer, but he comes back depressed ever time… at least every time he's around me… for about a month.”
 
Inuyasha formed a plan in his head. It was also a good way to judge Kagome's tracking skills, or lack there of. “If you want to, we can follow and find out what happens to him.”
 
“One problem: I don't know where Kashisu lives and I don't think mom knows either,” Kagome sighed and turned to the Goshinboku.
 
“You forget, we have noses…”
 
“It's a city. There are millions of people here,” Kagome waved her hands around to encompass Tokyo's skyscrapers.
 
“I've tracked you before, and Souta's not that different from your human scent. Remember the Noh mask?” Inuyasha discreetly looked to the building that was now finished that he had fought the Noh mask in.
 
“Yes I remember… wait a minute! You TRACKED ME!”
 
Inuyasha grinned at her reaction, his cocky front showing, “and you'd be a blob of rotting flesh if I didn't.”
 
“…”
 
“And if I have won this round, we have to get going so the trail doesn't get cold.” Inuyasha gestured to the shrine stairs (yeah, all 70 million of them. No wonder Kagome and Souta were in great shape at the beginning of the show).
 
“Fine!” Kagome spit out as they raced down the stairs.
 
I guess this is as good as any to stop the chapter. I could have easily made this twice as long, but I didn't want to. The next chapter will be all review responses and then on to tracking Souta. So, if you have any questions about the story so far, ask now or forever hold your confusion. dark