InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Birth Marks ❯ A New Journey ( Chapter 31 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Blah. Yeah, I know that it's been a couple months. I've been suffering from `senioritis' and making my prom dress. Well, you know I don't own Inuyasha by now, or at least you should.
 
Now on to the next chapter!
 
Chapter 31:
 
Last time: Inuyasha snarled and drew out his sword, transforming it into the fang. “Kaze no Kizu!” the claw marks of the attack burst along the ground, hitting the wind witch across her fan arm. With a small gasp, she grabbed the feather in her hair and took off with it. She delivered the message, but she didn't need to die for it!
 
This time: “we have to follow her!” Inuyasha growled out, not bothering to sheathe his sword before starting to run after the fleeing sorceress.
 
“Inuyasha, stop!” Kagome managed to grab a sleeve and plant herself in front of the hanyou. “We can't just follow her blindly!”
 
“Yes we can! We'll lose Naraku's scent if we wait!”
 
“Then at least let me say goodbye to Momma and pick up supplies first!” Inuyasha closed his eyes and hugged Kagome loosely, setting his chin between her flattened ears.
 
He took a calm breath before trusting himself to speak. “One week.” He pulled his claws through her hair gently, “we may not get back, so one week should be plenty of time.” Without speaking, Inuyasha looked over to Sesshoumaru, who nodded and turned into the forest.
 
“I shall speak with my generals. Come, Rin.” The child grinned and gave Kagome a tight hug before running after her father. Jaken squawked and ran after the two, muttering something about human-blooded weaknesses.
 
Rumiko walked up to Inuyasha next and stroked his face gently, “this old bird can no longer fight, but my spirit shall stay with you to the end.”
 
“Thank you Rumiko,” Inuyasha lifted his chin slightly and gave her a small smile. Last was Totosai, who stood beside Momo.
 
“The dagger. I would practice that if I were you.” He gestured before jumping onto Momo and taking off. Kagome nodded, fingering the jeweled hilt.
 
“I guess I'm going now—“
 
“Not without me, you're not.” Inuyasha stepped between Kagome and the well.
 
“But what about Ship—“
 
“That damn monk's been looking after the runt for this long, he can do it for a couple more days.” Kagome fell silent and held the sleeping kitsune closer. Inuyasha gestured for him and gave a half-smile, “he's coming with us when we get back, so you're not going to miss each other that much while he's still out.” He brushed Shippou's bangs away gently before setting him in Sango's arms.
 
Inuyasha grabbed Kagome's upper arm before pulling her to the well, “C'mon, lets get this over with; the sooner, the better.” And before she could object, Inuyasha had jumped into the well with Kagome.
 
()()()()()()()()()()()()()
 
“Have I told you thank you?”
 
“For what?” Inuyasha asked, pulling at tight spots on his T-shirt while lounging on Kagome's bed.
 
“For being you.” Kagome swiveled around in her desk chair and smiled sweetly. “…Momma told me something that I might have to do here before we go back.” she fidgeted, grabbing a forelock of hair and starting to braid it.
 
Inuyasha rolled his eyes over to Kagome and flicked his ears in annoyance. “Another test or something?”
 
“No, not a test… I think… well, my cousin's been visiting the past couple of days and… well, he wanted to talk to me and all…”
 
“What's the bastard want?”
 
“No, no, it's not really something he wants…” Kagome's attention drifted to a spider web in the corner, “more like a job that he has…”
 
()()()()()()()()()()()())()())(
 
“Auntie Gin…” the others hadn't noticed—yet—but Yusuke wasn't in the yard with the others `checking out the grounds.' “Do you know when Kag-ko is going to come back?”
 
Gin shrugged and sat down some onigiri on the coffee table. “I can't tell exactly Yus-chan,” he scowled slightly at the term of endearment, “but it's been about a month. She'll probably show up by next week with Inuyasha in tow. Those two are so cute together!”
 
“Auntie Gin!” Yusuke groaned, taking another bite of the rice ball.
 
“But it's true!” he smashed his hands to his ears, not wanting to hear about the mushy stuff. Gin smiled in a motherly way. “I'll tell Kagome to stay around when she shows up so you two can catch up, how's that sound?”
 
Yusuke hesitated, “Actually… my job… my boss wants me to bring in the keeper of the Shikon to see if he's good enough to be trusted. This isn't exactly a fun visit…”
 
“I understand. Kagome's a big girl and she can take care of it. And besides, you'll be there also, correct?”
 
Yusuke fidgeted from foot to foot and looked out the front window. “I don't know if I'll be able to or not, but I'll try.” Gin smiled reassuringly and patted his arm.
 
“I think your friends noticed your absence…” Yusuke stood up and kissed Gin's cheek, swiping two onigiri in the process. Gin shook her head and waved, noting that one of the treats had made its way to Kuwabara's hand as they were leaving the grounds with the others.
 
()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()
 
Kagome looked out the small window that her seat was against. It had been several hours, about a day at least, since the scenery had changed. Clouds, clouds, and more clouds. The attendants had suggested that sleeping would make the trip go faster, or at least seem to, but her ears were anything but enjoying the internal pressure of the cabin.
 
And what was worse, the person that she was stuck with snored. Not only were her poor ears abused by having to be pinned down by a bandanna by the past day, but she had been woken up at midnight by her mother to pack for this `planned' trip that she had absolutely no clue about until right before.
 
“Kagome get up.” her mother's voice floated into her dream world. But… it wasn't her mother's voice. The patterns were all wrong and Gin never called her daughter `Kagome'. It was always Kagome-chan or Dear, never Kagome. She opened her eyes to see Gin hovering over her, holding up a large suitcase. “Hurry up or you'll miss your flight. Your aunt wants you to visit as soon as possible.”
 
There was something wrong there, Kagome thought, but she didn't bring it up while she hurriedly packed. Was something wrong with Yusuke? Was he sick, did he get injured?
 
No, it wasn't something like that, Yusuke had been injured plenty of times and she was never called over. And why was she packing clothes in the large suitcase if she was only going across town. Nothing made any sense and with the way that Gin was rushing her daughter, there was no way to warn Inuyasha that she was leaving. He'd gone across the well for the night to continue preparations and to check in on Shippou's health after the ceremony.
 
Kagome looked at her mother. There it was: what was so strange. Gin wasn't blinking, not even once since she had woken Kagome up. And her posture was completely stiff, like she was being controlled or possessed. But something like that didn't happen in this time, right? “Okaa-san…?”
 
“Hurry up Kagome. You will be late.”
 
“Okaa-san, what's the matter?” Kagome asked, tilting her head and walking toward her mother.
 
Hurry up Kagome, you will be late.” Gin spoke again in a monotone voice, not moving anything but her mouth.
 
“You're scaring me Okaa…”
 
“Hurry up Kagome, you will be late.” This time her eyes moved to lock with Kagome's and she shrunk back to her packing. Gin did not move until Kagome zipped up her bag, and then only moved to grab it and throw it into the back seat of the car while Kagome shifted uncomfortably in the front passenger.
 
Kagome shuddered from the memory, but what had set her mother off like that?
 
“Excuse me miss,” the steward asked in broken Japanese, “but would you like a blanket or pillow?” Kagome shook her head and turned back to the window.
 
This wasn't the way to Yusuke's house. “Okaa-san, where are we going?”
 
“You are going to your Aunt's house. You are going to miss your flight.”
 
“Flight? Where are we going?” Kagome asked, wondering how to get out of the car to get back to Inuyasha. The car hadn't stopped once since Gin had started it up and gotten onto the actual streets. It seemed like every stop sign, every stoplight was in Gin's favor to continue.
 
“You are going to your Aunt's house. You are going to miss your flight.”
 
“But Aunt Atsuko is only on the other side of town; we're going the wrong way!” Gin knew the way to Atsuko and Yusuke's house by heart, and so did Kagome, and this was not it! Kagome couldn't do anything but look out the window, visually memorizing the way back in case she could escape the person that was shadowing her mother.
 
“This is your captain speaking. We are about thirty minutes away from London International Airport and will be beginning out decent momentarily. Please secure your seatbelts and place your trays and seats in the upright and locked positions. Thank you for flying Air Japan.” Kagome sighed and tugged on her seatbelt, making sure that it was still `secure.'
 
“Nonstop flight to London, England now boarding.” The overhead called. Kagome looked up in shock. London? Why was mother sending her to London of all places? And right before what would likely be the final battle also! This made absolutely no sense whatsoever. Why was she being forced into a vacation that she had no say over when her pack mates needed her the most. They could be killed without her there! And what about Shippou and Inuyasha?
 
Gin ushered her to the gate and gave the attendant her ticket and passport. The man looked at the items and nodded. “Welcome aboard Higurashi-san. I hope you enjoy the flight.” it was too late now, she was caught up in the flow of the passengers getting on and she couldn't use her hanyou strength without revealing herself to the human masses.
 
Looking back, Kagome saw Gin shake her head, as if she had just come out of a day dream, and look around. `Where am I' she mouthed as she looked around. Gin shrugged, seeing no reason to why she was there and left, leaving Kagome no choice but to fly to England.
 
Now that she thought of it, she remembered that when she was very little, Gin took her to England to see someone. Dredging up those memories, Kagome remembered that she had moved there from Japan several years before Kagome was even born to live with her English-speaking husband. Her husband died, but she stayed because she loved the countryside and didn't think that she would be accepted back into the Japanese culture after living in England for so long. If Kagome remembered right, she had even changed her name to an English name. Natasha or something like that.
 
The plane was now taxiing toward the gates to let the passengers out and now Kagome only had to find out what would happen next in this strange new adventure.
 
()()()()()()()()
 
Inuyasha pushed open the bedroom window to wake Kagome up for the day and was shocked to find that not only wasn't Kagome there, but her scent was at least a few hours old.
 
“Where's Kagome?” he asked, startling Gin as she opened her daughter's door to put some fresh laundry in the dresser.
 
“What do you mean; I thought she was with you.” Inuyasha shook his head and looked around the room. It looked like there was nothing wrong, but a few articles of clothing strewn around and the rest of it missing.
 
“I left to check on the pack last night when she fell asleep.”
 
“Then maybe she's on the other side of the well already?” Gin supplied, crinkling her eyebrows at the lack of Kagome's clothing in the closet. She always had clothes here even when she was traveling.
 
Inuyasha shook his head. “If she was there, I would have smelled it. She hasn't been near the well since we got back last night.”
 
“Now that I think of it, I woke up in the most peculiar place this morning. I thought that I had sleepwalked again, but I must have taken Kagome to the airport this morning. Strange though, I don't remember why I would do such a thing though…” Gin shrugged and continued to put away her daughter's clothes. “Kagome's a big girl. She'll call or E-mail when she gets the chance to. And then we'll know where she went. Do you want any breakfast Inuyasha?”
 
Inuyasha looked on mutely, wondering where Kagome went and hoped that she could defend herself if she did get into any trouble, which she undoubtedly would. At one time, Kagome had shown Inuyasha the use of the phone, but this `eah-male', whatever it was, he had no clue what it was. All he could do now was watch and wait.
 
()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()
 
Heya, sorry for the long wait. I know, I know, I have no right to even attempt an excuse, but here's my try anyway: I'm on summer vacation and in my notes, I found out that I actually skipped like 5 chapters. Sigh, I'm pathetic. This is the only time that I have notes for this story, and I can't even follow those correctly!
 
Now, you're all wondering why she's in England, right? Well… I like English mythology, particularly King Author and that stuff.
 
Later, Dark Inu Fan (“Don't hit me!” Cringes away from pitchforks and internet viruses)