InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Birth Marks ❯ Pregnant? ( Chapter 45 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Umm… sorry for the long break? I really have no excuse. I should have been working on this the week after I moved up here… I was lazy… yeah…
 
Disclaimer: I wouldn't be living in a trailer if I somehow managed to acquire the ownership rights to Inuyasha… and I'd have this published instead!
 
Chapter 45:
 
Last time: “Yeah, a Honeymoon,” Inuyasha wrapped his arm around Kagome's shoulders, cloaking her with his sleeve. “If you really want to go, we're only two days away from the temple.” Shaking her head, she laid it on his shoulder.
 
“No, that's fine. This is…nice.”
 
This Time: “Inuyasha, I'm fine! I can carry my own bag.” Kagome lunged and Inuyasha jumped back, keeping the same distance they had since the fight had broken out, holding the bag above his head and away from the slightly shorter hanyou's reach. Grinning, Inuyasha shook the bag slightly, rattling the contents inside. “Just give it to me already!” jumping up like a five-year-old trying to get some candy, Kagome stuck her tongue out in concentration, waggled her butt, and jumped, only to sail over Inuyasha, who had ducked as soon as she had taken off.
 
“You'll have to do better than that… pup!” smirking, Inuyasha chuckled at the growl that Kagome gave, hands planted before her knees in the sand, readying another jump attempt.
 
“Shut up! At least let me into the bag Inuyasha!” She switched tactics to an almost pitiful whine. “Please?” Taking a breath, Kagome sat into the sand, crossed her legs and closed her eyes, willing off a headache that had plagued her since she had gotten up that morning.
 
“Uh… Kagome…?” Seeing that his playmate had basically stopped moving, Inuyasha crept closer, kneeling in front of the prone priestess. “Kagome?”
 
Shooting her hand out, Kagome grabbed Inuyasha's wrist, looking up into his eyes, “Just give me the bag already.” Startled, Inuyasha fell back, releasing the bag accidently. Before he could sit up, Kagome was already rifling through it, focused on trying to find one thing… Looking up, Kagome nearly snarled, “Where's the first aid kit?”
 
Looking at anywhere except for the mad bitch, Inuyasha grimaced. “I left it with Kaede.”
 
Narrowing her eyes, Kagome glared at Inuyasha, “You what?”
 
Somehow, Inuyasha managed a nonchalant shrug, “Hanyou don't get sick and I didn't plan on needing the bandages.” Growling, Kagome rubbed her temple and closed her eyes tightly.
 
“We don't plan on getting sick, we don't plan to get injured, but we always pack the kit just in case.” She hissed out, her headache seeming to come in waves. Just perfect, the one time that she didn't have any medicine.
 
Crawling closer, Inuyasha gave Kagome a few sniffs, trying to smell anything off with her scent. “You don't smell…sick?” Unsure since he had never smelled any disease like this before, he took a few more breaths, dissecting her scent into hers and foreign. “Lie down,” he murmured, pressing on her shoulder gently.
 
“I'm fine Inuyasha, just a little headache,” she gave a token protest, but fell back into the sand anyway, giving Inuyasha's nose better access to her body.
 
“Doesn't smell like just a little headache to me,” he copied in falsetto, tracking the foreign scent down her body. Pressing his palm on her belly slightly, he could almost feel where the scent was coming from, he could feel the energy, not what Kagome's energy felt like, but not completely different either… “You sure it's not a stomach ache? That fish that Shippou caught was a little fishy.”
 
Kagome tried to hold back her laughter, she really did. Inuyasha continued to look at her funny as she started to turn blue from trying so hard. Giving in, she snorted and rolled onto her side, clutching her sides, laughing. “Little… fishy!”
 
“Yeah, I'm taking you back to Kaede. Maybe you should go to that… hospital thingy that your Jii-chan's always talking about.”
 
“N…No, I'm better now Inuyasha.” Her chuckles died off slowly and she rolled back up to sitting in front of her mate. Giving him a serious eye, Kagome managed a small smile, “I really want to see Sango-chan and Miroku's wedding. Even if I am somehow sick—it's just a headache, I swear—I wouldn't miss their wedding even if the world came to an end.”
 
Sitting back, Inuyasha gave her a thoughtful frown, seriously contemplating either the wedding or going back to Kaede and the well. Knowing Kagome, and the general attitude of dog-hanyou (all two of them), Kagome would go no matter what he said, unless he knocked her out and somehow kept her out for the entire trip home, and then there was Shippou, who would undoubtedly be on Kagome's side. Looking back at the beach towel they stayed the night curled on, Shippou looked as if he had just woken up, rubbing his eyes and hunched forward.
 
“Momma…?” giving Inuyasha a look that said that she was going, with or without him, Kagome stood up and walked over to Shippou.
 
“Did you sleep well honey?” nodding his head, Shippou finished rubbing his eyes and looked up at Kagome.
 
“Yeah… Until you and papa started playing.” Giving Shippou an awkward grin, she picked him up and gave him a quick hug.
 
“Well then, why don't we get ready for the day, wash this sand off, and head off to Mushin's temple. How's that sound?” Grinning and nodding, Shippou ran over to Inuyasha, who rolled his eyes, sent Kagome a coded look, and handed over their morning bag.
 
(O)
 
Not pushing her beyond what she wanted to do, Inuyasha kept an eye on Kagome as they sped through the forest to Mushin's temple, where they would most likely show up around the same time as Sango and the Perverted Monk. Except for a few murmured directions, travel was mostly silent. Frowning, Inuyasha watched Kagome press her finger against her temple, trying to work out the headache that had been steadily growing all morning.
 
“As soon as we get there, you lie down.” It wasn't a request, but nearly an order. Nodding absently, Kagome sprung forward, continuing on, paying only enough attention to her surroundings to not slam into a tree. “Are you sure that you don't want me to car-“
 
“I'm fine,” she snarled out, blinking away a bout of dizziness. Opening her eyes, she gasped and grabbed the branch she was supposed to land on, swinging her on top and launching off again.
 
“I thought you said that hanyou didn't get sick, Papa?” Shippou asked quietly, watching as Kagome continued to stumble through the air. Inuyasha had refused to let her carry the bag again that morning, and Shippou had opted to ride with Inuyasha. The kit was told by his instinct that it would be a better idea to do so, rather than ride on Kagome like he usually did. He didn't know why then, but it was clearly obvious now, with Kagome's less-than-graceful tree-hopping.
 
“…I thought so also, pup, but apparently I was wrong.” Inuyasha murmured, hitching the bag higher on his shoulder. “At least, I thought so because I'd never gotten sick before.”
 
Lapsing into silence, Inuyasha stayed a branch or two behind Kagome, allowing room in case she stopped or turned suddenly, “Mama!” Or fell. Shippou yelled out in shock, clutching Inuyasha with his tiny claws. Inuyasha moved almost before he realized it, catching Kagome from falling and hitting the ground. Not even stopping to let Kagome down, Inuyasha launched forward, intent on getting to the temple as soon as possible.
 
“Let me go Inuyasha, I can still walk,” Kagome pushed on his shoulder weakly, trying to get him to let go, “I just missed the branch, it's not like I hit the ground.” Sparing Kagome a dry look, Inuyasha launched back up into the trees for the straightest route. It was a good thing that the temple was only a few hours' run away if he pushed.
 
“Just a headache, feh.” Inuyasha mumbled, adjusting his grip so that Kagome would stop slipping around like a dying fish… scratch that, bad thought, like a… a “Pup, stop squirming around, or I'll drop you to run after me.” He eyed Shippou out of the corner of his eye, shrugging the kit back down from where he was trying to get a better view of Kagome.
 
“Inuyasha…”
 
“No, and I mean it. You're sick and I'm carrying you until you get better.” Kagome's response was a small whine as her hand flew back to her head, covering her eyes. “Besides, we're nearly there.” Without looking, it seemed as if Inuyasha had read her mind, “we're going to the shrine, not like you would have let me go back to your time anyway. The shrine's closer, and that damn drunk monk better have something to help you.” Shrugging, Kagome gave in and got comfortable. It would be a while yet until she would touch ground again.
 
(O)
 
“Yes, just put her down there.” Wincing, Kagome came to consciousness, feeling her back hit a futon as Inuyasha put her down gently. Her headache hadn't lessened during her short nap, but at least it seemed as if the room was darker than outside, that was good.
 
“Inuyasha?” Kagome murmured, tracking the sound of voices tiredly.
 
“Yeah, we're here. You fell asleep a while ago.” Inuyasha spoke gently, kneeling beside his ill mate, “Do you want anything?”
 
“Some Advil would be nice?” giving Inuyasha a small smile, Kagome tried to open her eyes, but closed them tighter because of the light, though dimmed by the shut paper door.
 
“I'm sorry Lady Kagome, but I'm afraid that we don't have any of your medicine here, but Mushin probably has some medicine for you to use instead. What's the matter?”
 
“It's just a headache…” Kagome winced and sat up a little, “just a really bad headache.”
 
Inuyasha couldn't help but disagree, pushing his mate back down onto the futon gently. “Your energy says different. It was that fish that Shippou caught.”
 
“Hey!” Kagome winced at Shippou's indignant outburst, but the boy quickly backed down seeing Kagome's ears flatten.
 
“Inuyasha, the fish was fine, and this isn't helping my headache any.” Kagome managed to glare at Inuyasha, braving the light and a flare of pain to do so.
 
“So, I should get some pain tea then…” Miroku turned to leave, looking back from the door.
 
“Wait a moment Miroku,” Sango murmured, hand on her chin, thinking, “different energy, headache… an imbalance? Inuyasha, could I talk to Kagome for a moment… alone?” Sango growled out, giving the boys a warning look as she kneeled beside her best friend. Giving up a token protest, Inuyasha took Miroku and Shippou into the hall to leave the two women alone.
 
Sango watched the boys leave, and then turned to Kagome- who had rolled onto her side- curling into herself. “Hey Kagome, I'm glad that you decided to come.” Sango said softly, stroking Kagome's soft ears. “Want me to try something that might help?” She suggested, fingers softly trailing to a pressure point. At Kagome's nod, Sango applied some gentle pressure for a few seconds. “Did that help at all?”
 
“N-no, I don't think so,” Kagome murmured, looking at Sango, “what was that supposed to do?”
 
“That one is supposed to relieve headaches, or at least lesson them. “How about this one?” Sango pressed the point for stomachaches, like Inuyasha's suggestion.
 
With a groan, Kagome rolled further away from the touch, nearly rolling into a ball on the other side of the futon. “Definitely not that one,” Kagome groaned out, now feeling weak nauseous waves as well.
 
“Hmm… Kagome, can you lie flat please, I promise that I'm trying not to hurt you.” Sango tried to reassure Kagome, gentle pulling her back down by the arm and shoulder. “It's just a hunch, but may I try one last thing?” Taking a deep breath to steady herself, Kagome grabbed the sides of the futon and nodded. Sango rolled her eyes at the overreaction and pressed, ironically, on a certain point on her toe. “Did that work?” Sango asked gently, truly curious.
 
After a few seconds, Kagome blinked her eyes open, giving Sango a nearly-shocked expression. “What did you do?” the headache diminished, leaving only a dull roar in its place. As well as an undercurrent of nausea that she hadn't really noticed disappeared.
 
Sango nodded her head, as if hearing someone talking, “so that's what the imbalance was.” She murmured to herself. “Kagome, when was your last moon cycle?”
 
“What?” Kagome sat up and gave Sango a strange look.
 
“Your Moon cycle. When was, ah, the last time you bled?” Sango blushed, not used to asking such a personal question. That was the job for the village Medicine Woman.
 
“Oh! My period! Oh…!” Kagome's hands flew up to her mouth as a blush stole up her neck to her hairline. “Bu…I…We… It was only once!” She hissed, looking horrified.
 
Sango took Kagome into her arms, smoothing the girl's hair down in a soothing gesture. “Its okay, Kagome-chan. There are many girls who have children by your age.”
 
“No! It's not okay! It was only once, once! And I'm still in school; I can't be, be pre…” Kagome broke down into tears, sobbing into Sango's yukata, her voice cracking.
 
“Shh… it's okay, Kagome.” Sango pulled away to give Kagome a reassuring smile (though a little unsure). “Like you said, it was only once, and your first time too, right?” Sango gave another smile at Kagome's nod, tiredly wiping a tear from her eye. “it's probably jut your body readjusting to you having a mate now.”
 
“Yeah, probably.” Kagome agreed distractedly, resting her chin on Sango's shoulder and a hand on her flat abdomen.
 
“Well, if you're still not sure, we can talk to Kaede when we get back home, how does that sound?” Kagome could do nothing but agree as Sango rubbed soothing circles on her back. “But for now, why don't you stay here and rest up. I bet you're still tired, eh?” Sango gave a wink and Kagome discovered a new shade of red; lying down with Sango's help. “I'll just go and get that medicine now, is that okay? See you later!” With that, Sango closed the door and turned to Inuyasha, who stood, arms crossed, across the hall from the door. “If you ever,” Sango hissed to the boy, “ever hurt Kagome, you will have to find a new way to pee!” she pointed to the offending appendage to make her point. Subtily lowering his hands to a protective position, Inuyasha nodded dumbly.
 
“Great!” Sango chirped and clapped her hands, “now, where does Mushin keep the medicine, Houshi-sama?” She asked perkily, grabbing Miroku's hand and all but dragged him away.
 
Watching Sango walk Miroku down the hall, Inuyasha turned to go into Kagome's room, but hesitated. “Hey kit, why don't you go and find Hachi or something?”
 
Shippou looked up with knowing eyes. “Is this about Mama being preg-mmph!” Inuyasha quickly kneeled down and muffled Shippou, giving him a stern look. So the kit understood the muffled conversation as well, things most likely weren't going to end well. Prying Inuyasha's fingers from his mouth, Shippou stood up straight and gave Inuyasha a look beyond his years. “I remember where I had smelled it before. Grandma Kaede and I would visit pregnant women to make sure that the baby was fine before it was born.” The kit kept his voice low so that only Inuyasha could hear. “But sometimes Kaede would give the woman tea and then she would bleed and the smell would go away.”
 
Inuyasha nodded solemnly, knowing What Shippou was talking about. “Yes, I know about that.”
 
“So Mama doesn't want a baby then?”
 
“I…I don't know, that's why I'm going in there.”
 
Shippou nodded and pulled away from Inuyasha's hands that were resting on his shoulders. “Oh, Ok. So, I'll just go play with Hachi-san then.” Inuyasha nodded and stood up, watching Shippou turn and leave, only turning back once.
 
Turning back to the door, his hand rested on the grip as he took a deep breath, attempting to steady his racked nerves, a low whine coming out instead. Ears lowered, Inuyasha quietly entered and closed the shoji behind himself. “Kagome…” he spoke, not daring to raise his voice more than a stage whisper in the darkened room, “can I come in?” Not getting an answer, he crept further in to sit next to Kagome's back. “Kagome… I'm sorry,” Inuyasha whined, his hand hovering over her arm in hesitation. Not getting a response, he let his hand drop.
 
Almost when Inuyasha had thought that Kagome was asleep, she moved to wipe a tear away. “It's not your fault, Inuyasha,” she murmured, her unfocused eyes boring into the boards of the near wall. “I should have known better,” she chuckled dryly, “Momma even made sure that there were a few condoms in my bag, you know, `just in case,' and I forgot.”
 
“Kagome, I,” Inuyasha blinked hard, swallowing, “I understand if, when we get back home, you want to get rid of… of the pup.” The strangled word game out below a whisper.
 
What?!” Kagome sat up, staring at Inuyasha, “No! No, no, no you can not take away my baby!” she snarled, hand on her flat stomach. Inuyasha smiled shyly and nodded, bumping his mouth next to her ear.
 
“Thank you,” Inuyasha whispered, breathing in her scent, a hand curling around to gently rest on her waist.
 
“Besides,” Kagome laughed nervously and brushed her hair behind her ear, or at least here her human ear was, so it fell back into place. “I-it's too early to tell if I'm preg-ah, I could just be having a reaction to that being my first time?”
 
“Yeah…” Inuyasha sat up, taking his hand back, a note of doubt in his voice, “A reaction.” He didn't mention that she smelled pregnant, not that if she had a reaction, it would have shown up the previous day. They sat in silence, neither wanting to talk about the subject at hand. Going any further would lead to argument, he insisting on pregnancy, she holding onto the life preserver of just being a reaction.
 
“So…” Kagome's eyes took in the room, looking for a new conversation, “any idea what now?”
 
Inuyasha shrugged, playing along, “since everyone's here, I heard that we'll do a practice, then the day after, the ceremony.”
 
Kagome nodded, approving the simple schedule, “so nothing really to do today?”
 
“Not really,” Inuyasha confirmed, pressing Kagome back down to the futon, “just you getting to feel better. Sango wants you to represent her family in the wedding, and me to proxy Miroku's family since Mushin's going to be the priest.”
 
Kagome nodded, now lying down once again, “that makes sense…” giving a sly smile, she turned onto her side, “Want to stay with me until I fall asleep?” Smiling, Inuyasha stretched out beside his mate, letting her use his arm as a pillow as she snuggled into his chest. Inuyasha smiled, his chin resting between her ears and right arm looped around her waist, pulling her closer.
 
(O)
 
I know, I know, that's not really much… but I guess I'm avoiding the next chapter… `The beginning of the end' I guess. Yeah, I just don't want to leave my baby and my most faithful reviewers: you. If you're wondering, at most there're probably about ten chapters left, but I need a little help here. The baby… heh… names, sexes, physical descriptions… I'm completely lost for those. If you can help me, I would be so thankful.
 
Dark Inu Fan