InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Bitter ❯ Bitter Tidings ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I still don't own InuYasha or any other characters from the manga/anime. They belong to the creative genius of Rumiko Takahashi.
 
 
This was written for the IY_themes community at LiveJournal. The prompt was “bug” and the limit was 400 words.
 
Title: Bitter Tidings
Type: divergence; takes place a few months after the defeat of Naraku
Genre: angst
Rating: T
Word Count: 399
Characters: Sango/Miroku
Warnings: not my usual fluff
Summary: Miroku returns home after slaying youkai with InuYasha.
 
 
Bitter Tidings
 
“What have I done this time, Sango?” Miroku stood perplexed, his arms crossed in front of him with his shakujou in the crook of his elbow. He had no idea what was bugging his wife. “We've only just returned.”
 
“Two days later than you were due back. How many did you proposition this time? Did one of them take you home with them? Or did you manage to con your way into the household of someone with a pretty daughter?” the angry slayer lashed back. “Why else would you have gone on and not waited for me to return?”
 
The monk sighed and shook his head. “Did Shippou not tell you? The messenger said they were in dire straights - that the youkai had already killed several villagers. Ask InuYasha. He'll tell you that we had to deal with a whole nest of deadly snakes that scattered as soon as we went after them. It took longer than we thought to destroy them all but we had to before they made a new nest.” He flexed his hand. “If you'll recall, I no longer have my kazaana to just scoop them all up. We actually had to drive them out of their hiding places and kill them. InuYasha can tell you that—”
 
“InuYasha,” Sango snarled. “How can I trust him? How can I believe he won't cover for you? You're his only friend, after all. With Kagome gone he was probably—”
 
“How can you say that,” Miroku responded angrily. “Are you not his friend as well? After everything we've been through together…”
 
“Things change - well except for your lecherous ways. Those never seem to—”
 
“You know that isn't true,” he cut her off. “I have been with no other since we met, and I have not groped another woman or asked one to bear my child since we married. I love you, Sango, but I can't live like this any more.”
 
“Live like what? Having a loving, devoted wife that only wants you to be faithful to her?”
 
He sadly shook his head. “It appears that nothing I can do or say is going to make things any better. We cannot have a marriage based on anger and distrust. If you can't let go of the past, then I cannot stay. I wish you happiness, though it will have to be with someone else. Goodbye, Sango.”