InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Bitter ❯ Bittersweet ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha or any of the manga/anime characters. They belong to the wonderful genius Rumiko Takahashi.
 
 
 
This was written for the IY_themes community at LiveJournal. The prompt was “new” and the limit was 300 words.
 
Title: Bittersweet
Type: Canon divergence
Word Count: 300
Characters: Sango & Miroku
Summary: Miroku returns to the village to see Sango.
 
 
Bittersweet
 
Miroku was as silent approaching the village as he was when he departed. A few days after InuYasha had left he decided to go and see Sango for himself.
 
He stopped just before he reached the hut he had shared with her, not knowing where to begin or what to say. There was no doubt in his heart that he loved her - but was it enough? He knew he couldn't stay if some things didn't change.
 
“Houshi!” she exclaimed as she hurried up the path behind him. “You came back!”
 
Miroku turned and saw Sango, her face beaming. He clutched his staff tightly with both hands. “You look well.”
 
Her face fell. “I… thought… I thought you'd come to stay.”
 
“I am considering it. Is it what you really want?” the monk hesitantly asked.
 
“Please, come in,” she whispered.
 
They sat, almost as strangers. Sango worried her obi with her fingers. “I'm so sorry, Miroku, for the way I behaved. You were the loving husband I had wanted and I drove you away. I know you didn't do any of the things I accused you of.”
 
The monk sighed. “Sango, I wanted nothing more than to be a good husband to you and a good father for our children some day. However, you must understand I cannot live with the accusations you constantly made. It was with some reluctance I returned.”
 
The former slayer shook her head. “It wasn't you - I started to doubt our marriage after I heard the village women say over and over that I was not a suitable wife.”
 
“Don't you think I should be the judge of that?” he asked.
 
She nodded. “Will you stay? Can we start anew?”
 
“I'll consider—”
 
She cut him off with a kiss.
 
“We can try.”