InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Bitter ❯ Not So Bitter ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha or any of the manga/anime characters. They belong to the wonderful genius Rumiko Takahashi.
 
 
These were written for the current challenge at the LiveJournal community Fanfic_bakeoff. The prompt is “tangle” and the requirement is that each drabble be between 100 and 300 words.
 
 
Title: Not So Bitter
Rating: T
Characters: Miroku/Sango + InuYasha
Word count: 299
Summary: Things aren't as bad as they seemed.
 
 
Not So Bitter
 
At first Sango just stared at Miroku's footprints in the snow. She was still shocked by InuYasha's words. She'd had no idea that her fighting again with Miroku had hurt him so much. Blinded by her own suffering, she never even noticed his pain.
 
She felt so foolish.
 
Carefully, she made her way through the snow, following the trail that Miroku had made. She didn't have to go far before she saw his dark head and robes.
 
“Miroku?” she called softly. He stood and started towards her.
 
“Ahhh!” Sango cried as her feet became tangled in her winter robe.
 
“Sango!” Miroku rushed forward and caught her. Carefully, he helped her regain her balance.
 
His wife gripped his clothing and burst into tears. “I'm so sorry - I shouldn't have yelled at you like that. Please don't leave me again!”
 
He sighed. “It seems like I can't do anything right. I left because I didn't want to upset you any further. I'm sorry about the plate… I didn't mean to make you break it… I know it was the only memento you had from your home village.”
 
“It wasn't your fault,” Sango admitted. “I'm just so clumsy these days.” She held out her swollen fingers.
 
“If I hadn't bumped you,” Miroku apologized.
 
“I might have dropped it anyway,” she confessed. “I feel so useless and I've been taking it out on you. Not only that, I didn't realize how much our squabbles hurt InuYasha. I didn't think about how lonely he must be.”
 
“I'll talk to him,” the monk said. “I think he's afraid of losing the only family he has. He's become very protective of me.”
 
“I'm glad,” Sango said. “Someone needs to watch out for you since I can't do it.”
 
“Let's go back before you get chilled,” Miroku suggested.
 
 
 
Not So Bitter (part 2)
Word count: 296
 
“InuYasha?” Miroku called out for his hanyou friend.
 
“Are you all right, bouzou?” InuYasha asked as he appeared out of a tangle of shrubs.
 
“It wasn't nearly as bad as it sounded,” the monk admitted. “I only left because I didn't want to make things worse.”
 
InuYasha questioned, “What happened? I know you've been fighting some, but nothing like that. That was more like her screaming at you when you left her that time.”
 
“She had one plate that Kohaku had managed to bring back from the slayer village for her. It was the only thing she had from her old home. I bumped into her when she was holding it and she dropped it. It shattered into more pieces than the Sacred Jewel did. I didn't want to fight with her but I didn't want to just get screamed at either so I left so we both could cool off.
 
“I don't know exactly what you said to her, but you stopped her in her tracks. She told me she was sorry and said it wasn't my fault,” Miroku responded. “What did you say to her?”
 
The hanyou blushed and looked at the ground. “More than I meant to.”
 
Miroku placed a hand on his friend's shoulder. “I know you were just looking out for me. Plus, I can't imagine how hard it must be for you. It may not sound like it, but things really have been better. Kaede warned me that she might be more… volatile… as the pregnancy progressed. Plus, her fingers have become so swollen that she can't hold on to things very well. It's really not her fault.” Miroku fell silent.
 
“So things are… okay?” InuYasha asked softly.
 
The monk nodded. “Now may Buddha help us through two more moons.”