InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Bittersweet Farewell ❯ Bittersweet Farewell ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: Why do a disclaimer? I'd rather have Rumiko sue me, that way, I could meet her. ^-^

Hey guys, don't worry people who are reading my other fics, this isn't a new story, it's a one shot of how I think the series should end, so…enjoy! Tell me how you like it!

Bittersweet Farewell

The day started off as any other, at least like any other since only the day before when they had vanquished Naraku. Inuyasha led the front with Kagome and her pink bike following with Shippo in the basket while Sango and Miroku conversed in the back. Inuyasha and Kagome were up to their usual quarrels.

"Inuyasha I need to get back to my own time for 3 days! That's all, you can do without me for 3 days," Kagome stated, pulling up beside Inuyasha.

Inuyasha continued to look straight ahead toward the village with a sour expression, "We've been through this a thousand times Kagome!"

Kagome sighed heavily, "But Naraku is gone, the jewel is finished, what's the big deal?"

Inuyasha fumbled for an answer. Without Naraku or the excuse of the jewel there was no reliable reason he could use. He had long since come to terms with the fact that he liked Kagome around. He needed he around in order to relax. He'd become accustom to having her around all the time, so much he was addicted to everything about her!

But that didn't mean she had to know.

"What about the jewel?" Inuyasha finally pointed out.

Kagome cocked an eyebrow, "What about it?"

Inuyasha rolled his eyes, "We can't just hang on to it forever, sooner or later a demon's going to come for it."

Kagome frowned, scooping up Shippo from the basket as they neared Kagome village, "I think the demon can wait 3 days."

Inuyasha scowled as he tried to come up with a better excuse, so deep in thought that he didn't notice Sango and Miroku approaching from behind.

Kagome noticed though and shot them a questioning gaze as they neared with broad smiles. Kagome didn't miss the fact that Sango's face was tinged a slight pink and Miroku was holding her hand.

"Sango, are you ok?" Kagome asked, concerned.

Sango nodded, hiding her face from view with her bangs. Which only seemed to make Miroku happier.

"Guys, we have something to tell you," Sango said, still hiding.

Inuyasha momentarily stopped his musing, "Sango, what's wrong with your face?"

Sango didn't seem to hear and Miroku finished her thought, "Kagome, Inuyasha, Sango and I are getting married!"

Kagome jumped up and down on the balls of her feet practically dancing as she grabbed Sango arm and began to chatter excitedly.

"Oh my god Sango! You're getting married?! And to Miroku even better! I always knew you guys would end up together, Congratulations!"

Sango finally reappeared from under her bangs, "I want you to be my bridesmaid."

(A/N I don't know if Japanese weddings have bridesmaids but work with me people, I'm only American sadly. -.-`)

Kagome squealed and hugged Sango, all the while jumping down and started discussing wedding preparations.

Inuyasha, meanwhile, looked mildly amused at the Kagome's strange behavior, "So your going to marry her?"

Miroku beamed. "Yes."

Inuyasha let his gaze slide toward the monk, "And you won't cheat with other women?"

Miroku put his hand on his chin as in deep thought, "Hmm…"

Inuyasha's eyes blazed, "You better not!"

Miroku put up his arm in surrender, "Relax Inuyasha, only joking."

Inuyasha put his hands back in his haori, "Better be."

~*~*~*~

All through dinner Kagome and Sango chatted excitedly about the wedding as everyone else ate in silence.

Kagome clapped like a child on Christmas, "This will be so fun! You should have it near the river becau-ow!"

Kagome gripped her chest and grimaced as a stabbing sensation pulsed through the section where her heart was. It felt like she was being pulled toward some unknown destination.

Kaede looked up at Kagome with a troubled expression, "Are ye well, child?"

Kagome waited until the brief interlude passed before she responded, "Fine, I guess it's just something I ate."

Sango prompted her several more times before things went back to normal dining discussions. Inuyasha continued to stare at Kagome anxiously, maybe he had imagined it, it had come so fast, but he felt as if Kagome had died briefly for a minute there. Inuyasha shrugged it off, telling himself he was just tired, but nonetheless he persistently inspected Kagome as she discussed Sango's wedding.

~*~*~*~

Sango and Miroku were wed the next day; surprisingly it was Miroku's idea. He said it was good to marry while the love was still fresh, but Kagome suspected it was because he was afraid of Sango changing her mind. Kagome caught the bouquet and bid Sango a teary farewell as she and Miroku took a horse-drawn carriage to their honeymoon in a place they didn't mention.

Kagome smiled at the events that had happened not more than a few hours ago as she sat on a grassy hill, chin in hand, looking up at the stars twinkle in the full moon sky. She always knew it would happen but she had expected Miroku to want to wait. Kagome turned her head slightly to see Inuyasha plop down on the grass beside her. They sat in content silence for a few seconds before Inuyasha interrupted it.

"What're you thinking about?" Inuyasha whispered as if afraid to disturb the quiet tranquility.

Kagome was thinking about how much she cared for Inuyasha. What would it be like to be able to admit to anyone proudly that she loved him? How would it feel to be in his embrace of his own accord? Yes, she loved him, she could never stop, no matter how hard she may try, she'd love him forever and always.

But he couldn't know that.

So instead, Kagome smiled up at the sky, "Miroku and Sango."

Inuyasha followed her gaze, "Would you ever want to do that?"

Kagome let her line of sight trail confusedly to Inuyasha's face, "Do what?"

Inuyasha blushed slightly but held Kagome's stare, "Get married."

Kagome blushed a deep red, "Well, it would depend-Aargh!"

Kagome felt the same convulsion, but multiply ten fold as the pulling, ripping, stabbing sensation rippled through her very being. She wreathed and kicked, hissing as though being attacked from the inside. She clutched her stomach and grabbed the material on her shirt where her heart should be. Inuyasha watched in horror as the scent of death hit his senses full tilt. Inuyasha's eyes widened as he scooped a screaming Kagome and brought her into Kaede's hut. Kaede jumped to her feet motioning for Inuyasha to lay her on the straw mat.

"Inuyasha, what is her ailment?!" Kaede questioned harshly as she checked the girl's vitals.

Inuyasha's voice was panicked, "I don't know Kaede, and she just started screaming and kicking-"

As suddenly as it had come, the pain washed away, and the last thing Kagome remembered was Inuyasha's distraught amber eyes before she slipped into unconsciousness.

~*~*~*~

Inuyasha and Kaede sat in silence on either side of Kagome as they watched for any sign of another fit. It was a good 5 minutes before Kaede spoke.

"Inuyasha, what exactly happened?" Kaede inquired.

Inuyasha looked slightly annoyed but didn't look away from Kagome's sleeping form, "I told you already I don't know-" Inuyasha paused and his gaze softened with concern, "but I smelt death on her when she screamed, like she was dieing slowly, or her soul was being sapped."

Kaede shook her head in dismay, "'Tis as I thought."

Inuyasha's head snapped in her direction, "What? What's wrong with Kagome?!"

Kaede's frown deepened, "Kagome does not belong in this time. The voyage she set out to accomplish is done; she is no longer needed in this era. Her soul is being called back to her birth time, where she must go."

Inuyasha's temper flared, "Who said her job is done?! Who said no one needs her?! What if I need her?!"

Kaede looked down on the unconscious girl, seemingly not hearing the hanyou's desperation, "Worst of all, she can't come back. The well will be sealed for the last time once she crosses, there will be no need for her to come back, thus the well will close."

Inuyasha thought disparagingly, "What if she takes the Shikon jewel? Then she can come back."

"I'm afraid not, were that to happen the jewel would most likely seal her in the portal. Taking shard of it is one thing, but the whole thing is powerful enough to seal her in eternity."

"Then she'll stay here!"

"She belongs in her time-"

"She belongs with me!"

Kaede paused, sighing wearily, "Inuyasha, I know you care for her, more than us I should think, but arguing with me will not change the laws of time."

Inuyasha clenched his fists, "What if I break the rules?"

Kaede looked up miserably, "Then she will die."

Inuyasha plopped down, feeling alone and empty. What could he do? She either went home to her era, sealing the well after her, or stayed with him as he watched her violently loose her soul, piece by piece. He couldn't stand the thought of either, Kagome leaving would break his heart, but her dieing, would kill him. There was no question; she had to leave, but how soon? What would he do without her?

~*~*~*~

Kagome woke up for the second time from violent convulsions. She vaguely remembered the previous night when she had been talking to Inuyasha. She recalled fondly their near romantic talk, but frowned slightly at the memory of pain. She looked out Kaede's window, seeing bright sun light shine through it casting a familiar shadow onto the grass outside. Kagome stood up on shaky feet and walked out to ask Inuyasha if he knew anything about her strange fits.

~*~*~*~

Inuyasha watched Kagome sleep until the sun rose the next morning. He realized that by now she was safe enough to be able to have him away from her for a few minutes. Inuyasha grabbed some Ramen out of Kagome's bag, hesitated and replaced it. The news of Kagome's fate had made him lose all appetite he may have had. He grimly jumped up into a tree and closed his eyes against the morning sun, willing away morbid memories that threatened to push him into depression. Not that it helped.

It was Kikyo all over again, how could he be so stupid to let himself make the same mistake twice? Where did he go wrong? In the beginning he told himself he hated her; she was only Kikyo's carbon copy, a mere shard detector at best. But strangely he found himself becoming closer to her, needing to protect her, and just recently, those feelings turned into something more, even so far as love.

"Inuyasha?"

Inuyasha jumped slightly at the mention of his name, "Kagome?"

Said girl cocked her head to one side, "Who else? Come down here."

Inuyasha sighed as he hopped with practice ease to the base of the tree, "What?"

Kagome looked slightly nervous as she played with the hem of her skirt, "Inuyasha, do you know what happened to me?"

Inuyasha inwardly sighed, `I should've known she'd ask so soon.'

He motioned her to follow him, "Kagome, you'd better talk to Kaede."

~*~*~*~

Kagome stared wide-eyed at Kaede and Inuyasha, "This isn't true, it's not happening!"

Kagome stared at Inuyasha desperately, "Tell me this isn't happening, tell me this is just a dream!"

Inuyasha's back was hunched over in defeat, his bangs hid his eyes from view while his ears drooped in despair, and his body flinched at her every sobbing word.

Kagome's gaze snapped to Kaede, "Please Kaede! I beg you, tell me this isn't true!"

Kaede just looked up forlornly at Kagome, confirming Kagome's fear.

Kagome crawled over to Inuyasha, grabbing handfuls of his shirt, "Look at me Inuyasha, don't hide from me!"

Inuyasha slowly met Kagome's gaze and it shocked Kagome. His eyes were the like the eyes of an abandoned child, swimming with anguish and sorrowful pain, tinny red cuts had formed on his lip where his fangs had been as he tried to keep back his tears. But the most shocking of all was the steady stream of tears that ran down his face leaving wet trails that made him look no longer the mighty hanyou, but a defenseless boy left alone in the world with no one to love him, and no one to love.

Kagome's vision blurred as she buried her face in his shirt, grabbing his sleeves in an attempt to bring him closer, he whole body shuddered as she sobbed into his chest. Inuyasha wrapped his arms around her tightly and put his chin on her head, trying in vain to calm her heart-filled sobs.

Kagome's sobs ceased as she felt a beginning tremor. She had just enough time to look up at Inuyasha in horror before the pain enveloped her. Kagome screamed in agony as the pain returned again, but this time, she actually felt like she was dieing, she could feel her soul being ripped from her delicate frame. She closed her eyes in an effort to quell the pain, just before she slowly into the realm of death.

~*~*~*~

Inuyasha's blood ran cold as he saw Kagome thrashing madly, barely registering Kaede's panicked tone.

"Inuyasha! If she does not get to the well now she will die!"

Inuyasha only nodded solemnly as he scooped Kagome up and ran for dear life to the Bone Eaters Well. There weren't half way there when Inuyasha felt Kagome's soul leaving her, her body went rigid and her eyes opened to look at him with a sadly content expression, smiling slightly up at him.

Inuyasha shook his head vigorously, "No, not yet Kagome! We're almost there!"

Inuyasha increased his pace and was soon at the well, he looked down to Kagome to see her deathly pale. She looked up at him as if to say, `Don't worry about me, it's going to be ok.'

Inuyasha put her on the lip of the well, ready to push her in at that very moment, he almost did but he felt a hand over his. Inuyasha looked up confusedly at Kagome, she smiled sadly and put the Shikon no Tama into his clawed hands gently. She put her other hand on his cheek, feeling warmth radiate into her palm. Her breathing was rigid and forced, but Inuyasha heard her as clear as day.

"I love you, Inuyasha. Forever, don't forget me."

Inuyasha saw her soul leaving her body and hurriedly pushed her into the well, but just before she disappeared into the dark depths of the well she had gone through so many times, he was sure she heard the last words he ever said to her.

"I love you too Kagome, never forget me, for I will remember you always."

~*~*~*~

Dun-dun! Ok, don't worry, that's not the end, I just

Wanted

To

Freak

You

Out

!

!

!

Anyway! Continuing!

~*~*~*~

As soon as Kagome passed through the magic light of the well she felt as good as always. The pain dissipated as if it were never there. The warmth came back to her body and she felt the familiar beat of her heart.

But despite this, she still felt dead and empty.

Kagome hit the bottom of the well in her modern era, `So that's it? No more Sango, no more Miroku, no more Shippo or Kaede? No more Inuyasha?'

Kagome's eyes filled once again with tears, her vision, again, clouded as she ran up the shrine steps to yell her heartbreaking screams into her pillow and cry the tears of all anyone who has lost their loved ones. Outside her house, even the sky seemed to cry with her as it suddenly poured cold rain on the surrounding countryside; soaking everything with a dreadful remorse only the dejected understand.

~*~*~*~

It had been 2 long weeks since Kagome had been sealed back in her era, but she still couldn't forget Inuyasha. She was known to excuse herself during class do to unexplainable breakdowns no one asked about. She had caught up with her school work and her grades were as good as always, but nothing mattered, life had no meaning, Inuyasha was gone, what was the point?

Kagome looked up at the clock through eyes pink from crying as she heard the bell for 5th period ring. She listlessly slung her bag over her shoulder and walked mechanically to Math.

`Great,' Kagome thought, `just what I need, more depression.'

Kagome opened the door and sat down on her chair, grabbing her books from her pack without thinking as she had done so many times before. She didn't notice who was sitting next to her, what her teacher was saying, what the board read, she didn't care. She felt a hand on her shoulder and turned to see Yuri, Eri, and Ayane. (A/N I hope that's their name -.-;;)

"Kagome, are you alright?" Eri asked for the millionth time.

Kagome nodded, "I'll be fine."

Yuri looked angry, "Is it that boy again?! Kagome you need to break it up with him--"

"I'm not seeing him anymore," Kagome interrupted, looking out the window sadly, "I'll never see him again."

Ayane looked sympathetic, "That's why you've been down for the last 2 weeks, you're heartbroken."

Yuri's face lit up, "Oh, forget about him, besides, there's two new cute guys in school! One's taken by this violet chick, but the second one is hot!"

Kagome just looked away, "I don't care, guys, I just need some alone time."

Ayane and Yuri started to protest, but Eri dragged them away, "Come on guys, let's leave Kagome alone."

Kagome looked stoically into her Math textbook, only to sigh in defeat, "I'll never get this, I give up."

"Feh, wench, are you always this easy?"

~*~*~*~

Oh! How evil would I BE TO STOP IT THERE? Oh like mondo evil!

Nah.

Gotta finish it.

At 1:31 AM?!

God you people are lucky.

You better review!

Or else.

I won't update my others!

Oh ya.

Super evil.

~*~*~*~

Kagome's head snapped to the source of the intrusion. There, next to her, sat a boy in black, baggy denim pants and a red baggy t-shirt, and a red and white baseball cap. His black-sneaker clad feet were on top of his desk and his elbow was on the back of his seat, and his silver hair came dangerously close to brushing the ground. But most of all, his face held an arrogant, all knowing smirk she had missed over the last 2 weeks.

"In-Inuyasha?" Kagome's voice shook, afraid she was in some cruel dream.

Inuyasha's smirk deepened, "Who else?"

Kagome's face lit up with a brilliant smile for the first time in weeks, happy tears ran down her cheeks as she pulled Inuyasha in for a long awaited hug. Inuyasha happily draped his arms around her and kissed the top of her head. Kagome smiled up at him through wet eyes, her stomach doing flip-flops in her stomach. Inuyasha cupped her chin gently with his thumb and forefinger, pulling her face up to his as he caressed her lips with his own in an earth-shattering kiss that even the class stopped to watch.

Kagome didn't notice the class though, all she noticed was Inuyasha, and she put her arms around his neck, drawing him closer, as if afraid to let go to find out it was all her daydream. But this was no daydream, it was too real, so pure, she never wanted to let go.

Inuyasha reluctantly pulled away, smirking down on Kagome, "I used the Shikon to wish Miroku, Sango, Shippo, everyone to your era."

Kagome smiled, "What took you so long?"

Inuyasha feigned ignorance, "This and that you know how it is."

Kagome put her small hand in his, "And you didn't forget me."

Inuyasha kissed the back of her hand, never breaking eye contact, "I told you I never would."

THE END

~*~*~*~

Tadaa! I told you it wasn't going to be tragedy…well at least I knew. And that's how Inuyasha should end! What do you think? REVIEW!!