InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Bittersweet Laughter ❯ A Rushed Day ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Don't own.

Chapter One:

Kagome held Souta close. The rain poured down hard and fast. "Kagome…" Souta whispered. "I miss them/"

"I know, Souta, I know," she replied. The tears that fell from both their faces melded in perfectly with the salty rain. Kagome lifted Souta up like a little child, and held him closer, burying her nose in the crook of his neck. She stood there for some time, staring unseeing. Finally, when she had cried all her tears, she walked to the car. She laced a fast asleep Souta in the passenger seat, buckling him in. She got into the driver's seat, and with weary and shaking hands, drove away from that graveyard, from her dead family, from her mother and grandfather.

When she finally got to the Sunset Shrine, she carried Souta up the many steps. Unlocking the front door, she brought Souta upstairs and changed him into some dry clothes. It was a Friday, so luckily there was no school tomorrow. She walked back downstairs and made some rice cakes. She set a note for Souta on the table next to them. "I'll be back by lunch Souta. Don't go anywhere. I love you. -Kagome"

Kagome got back into her car and drove to her job. She worked at a club as a waitress. They had taken kindly to her loss, and let her work when she could, paying her medium wage. Dawn had just broken when she drove back to the Shrine. Kagome crept up the stairs and into her room. She changed into some sweat pants and a shirt and grabbed her yellow bag. She went back downstairs, noting to buy some more milk as she opened the refrigerator and grabbed a Chocolate Frappachino.

Kagome also grabbed an apple from the fridge, and ate it hungrily as she walked to the well house. She jumped in, and holding the apple in her mouth, pulled herself out, running to the village. She stopped when she got to Kaede's hut and opened her coffee. She drank the caffeinated goodness as she stepped inside the hut. She finished off her breakfast before falling asleep in the corner of the hut.

Kagome was roused about two hours later by a irritated hanyou. "Wake up wench," he growled. "We got some shard hunting to do." Kagome was up in a flash, her thoughts racing back to Souta. Was he okay? Did he eat his breakfast? They were out of the hut in a hurry, Kagome straining her senses to find a shard before midday. Luckily for her, she sensed one after an hour or so.

"InuYasha," she said tiredly. "There's a shard nearby. It's about a hundred yards into the forest." The group sprinted away into the forest, Shippou snug in her arms. They came upon a giant spider like creature. Sango's breath hitched. Her eyes narrowed as she threw Hiraikotsu. It sliced the top of the spider, then returned to her hand. "InuYasha!" Kagome yelled over the screech of the spider. "The shard is in it's belly!"

"Gotcha!" he yelled back. "Iron Reaver!" he yelled, slicing the hard underbelly of the spider. The spider screamed as it's blue underbelly was sliced open, and guts and blood came spilling out. It fell to the ground and rose no more. Kagome ran to the remains and, with a look of disgust, pulled out the shard. It was instantly purified with her touch. She placed it in her vial.

Kagome checked her watch and gasped. Ten already! Kagome started running back to the well. "I'll see you all tomorrow!" she yelled. "SIT BOY!" she yelled, remembering just in time. She ran off to the well, hearing a very, very, very pissed off hanyou muttering curses. Kagome finally got to the well after many, many, many more sits, and jumped in. She ran into the house, seeing Souta finishing lunch. She ran and scooped him up, hugging him like she hadn't seen him in years. "Souta, honey," she said. "Do you mind if you spend the night at my friends house?"

Souta returned the hug. "Which friend Ne-Chan?" he asked. "Not Yuka is it?"

Kagome laughed a little. "No, Souta. Not Yuka. It's my new friend, Fox. She's really nice and cool. You'll love her," she said. Souta looked kind of uneasy, but agreed. He wanted to help his sister out as much as he could. "Good. But for now….do you want to go to the park?"

"Yeah! You're the best Sis!" Souta cried in joy. Kagome laughed as she put her bag down and Souta ran to get his kite. Kagome got another Frap out of the fridge, and sighed heavily as she sat down in the chair. As she was halfway done with her refresher, Souta came running back, his blue kite in hand. "Come on Sis!" he cried. He grabbed her free hand and started running to the park.

After Kagome dropped off Souta at her friend Fox's house, she asked Fox another favor. "Hey, Fox?" she started. "Do you mind if Souta stays with you tomorrow also, and I'll pick him up at five?"

Fox gave Kagome a comforting hug and said, "Sure. He's so adorable. I love him already!" Kagome laughed before thanking Fox again and getting back into her car and driving to her job.

A/N: Good? Bad? Shall I continue?