InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Blackout ❯ Blackout: Anatomy of a Lost Evening ( Chapter 1 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Disclaimer: I don’t own Inuyasha or any of the publicly known characters, plot, etc.  I’m just renting them from Rumiko Takahashi, Viz, etc.   I do own the plot of this story and any original characters I’ve created.  I will make no money from this fic; I write for my own enjoyment and the enjoyment of my readers.  


A/N – Hello, everyone!  It’s been quite a while since I wrote a major project.  But I got to thinking about how in all of my previous works, Inuyasha and Kagome only have sex after their feelings are realized and revealed.  But sex doesn’t always happen that way.  Teenagers are prone to irresponsibility and lapses of judgment.  And let’s face it, even though Inuyasha is apparently many years older than Kagome, physically and emotionally both of them are teenagers.  

As to the setting, this story is written as a divergence from the anime/manga.  It takes place soon after Naraku’s defeat at the hands of Inuyasha and his Red Tetsusaiga.  So the Band of Seven arc has not yet taken place, and Kikyou has not been saved by Kagome’s healing touch.  She is still wandering the earth, bound to her artificial body by hatred and bitterness.  Inuyasha and Kagome have grown closer in their time together, but they are not nearly as close as later in the canon.  All of that, however, is about to change in a way that neither expected.  Enjoy!  


~Blackout~


Blackout: Anatomy of a Lost Evening


Inuyasha sat up with a groan, and immediately regretted it.  His head was pounding, his temples throbbing angrily.  Either a giant oni was bashing his skull repeatedly with a rock, or there were a thousand tiny Sesshoumaru whacking his brain with miniature Tokijin.  Or he was just hung over.  

He would guess the latter, considering the residue of alcohol he could still taste on his breath.  But since he had never been hung over before, he wasn’t sure what to expect.  He opened his eyes to gather his bearings, but quickly slammed them shut again.  Even inside this strange room he was in, with the mat covering the door, the morning light was still entirely too bright.  His poor retinas screamed as if they’d been scorched, but his tear ducts lacked any spare moisture to generate tears.  His throat was parched as well, and he knew the first order of business once he rose would be to find something to drink.  Something without alcohol in it.  His stomach churned at the thought of drinking any more of that stuff, though thankfully he felt no urge to vomit.  As his memories of the previous evening came back to him, he began to piece together exactly how he had wound up in this sorry state.  

It had started out ordinarily enough, with him and his friends rescuing a damsel in distress from the clutches of some rogue youkai or another.  It just so happened, however, that this damsel was the only child of the wealthiest man in one of the largest and richest human settlements he had ever come across.  Their exceedingly grateful host had thrown them a rather lavish celebration, complete with musicians, serving girls, and plenty of sake.  Inuyasha had wanted to refuse the invitation, but Miroku was inside and flirting with the serving girls before he could get the words out of his mouth.  Then they were stuck, especially because Kagome cared more about propriety than he did and didn’t want to be rude to their host.  Judging by how Sango had been fuming by that point, she’d just wanted to make sure Miroku didn’t get into too much trouble.  

“We’ll just stay at the party for a little bit, and then go to bed,” Kagome had whispered to him.  “You don’t even have to drink if you don’t want to.”  

He might have laughed at that thread of memory if he didn’t feel so miserable.  If only he had taken her advice.  But then, Kagome hadn’t exactly taken her own advice, either.  Their host had been so keen to give them a toast, and had seemed so dejected when Kagome initially refused to drink, that she caved without too much of a fight.  And when she picked up the sake cup and turned to him with a wry smile, what did she say?  

“Well, I guess one little drink won’t hurt, right?”  

This time he did laugh, and again, immediately regretted it.  The sound of his own voice sent a fresh shockwave of pain through his head, even though his ears had already been plastered to his skull.  He couldn’t even stand the sound of his own heartbeat right now, and was desperately trying to avoid breathing through his nose.  Add scent to the list of hanyou senses he really didn’t want right now, and his overloaded brain might explode.  If there was ever a time to be rendered human, it was now.  

But the Kami showed him no such mercy, just as they had shown him no mercy last night by not making hanyou alcohol-resistant.  He was resilient against many things; stick a sword though his belly, and he’d pull it out and laugh at you.  Try to get him with smoke or miasma, and you’d be dead long before he even had to cough.  But alcohol…alcohol kicked his ass.  There was just something about the stuff that slipped past his youkai defenses and hammered him like any average mortal.  He would liken it to ink or other extremely smelly substances, but those affected him because he was part-youkai, not in spite of it.  Alcohol was probably unique in this regard.  Maybe part of the problem was how little he had been exposed to it in the past.  From what he could gather, people who drank more often built up a tolerance to it.  

Tolerance be damned.  After last night, he was never drinking again.  The next time someone tried to give him a jug of sake, he was going to shove it where the sun don’t shine.  If only that had been his attitude the previous evening…but no, he just had to have a couple cups because Kagome asked him to.  And then he just had to accept when the host’s younger brother challenged him to a drinking contest.  A ‘mighty hanyou’ couldn’t back down from such a challenge, especially when Kagome and the others were watching.  So even though he could already feel the alcohol getting to him, and even though he knew he was going to make a fool of himself, he still went drink-for-drink with the guy.  And won.  He had felt on top of the world, though perhaps that was because he’d been doing a victory dance on top of the table.  As much fun as he’d been having at the time, he was not enjoying the fruits of his victory very much now.  

In short, he was an idiot.  And now he was paying for it.  He wanted to lie back down, but didn’t dare.  He was in a strange place, and needed to get up and make sure Kagome and the others were okay.  He didn’t even remember if they’d gotten drunk or not.  His memories of last night were fuzzy, and at a certain point they cut out altogether.  He had probably passed out shortly after winning the drinking contest and been dragged here to sleep it off.  If a little harmless teasing was the worst that came of this, he would be happy.  Hopefully nothing bad had happened to his companions while he had been too inebriated to protect them.  He trusted his friends, but people did stupid things when they were drunk.  His rogue mind conjured possibilities which made him grit his teeth.  If someone had taken advantage of Kagome in some way, that person would be lucky to make it to midday with his cock attached.  Sango would take care of that herself if she was the victim, and Miroku was far more likely to be on the ‘giving’ end of dubious-consent drunken sex.  If the monk had somehow managed to get the slayer in bed, then Inuyasha was sure he would be minus a cock within two minutes of Sango’s awakening.  But Kagome wasn’t like Sango.  If something had happened to her…he didn’t want to think about it.  

And so, because he suddenly found himself very concerned about Kagome’s well-being, Inuyasha forced himself to rise into a full sitting position.  His body protested, and it took several moments of holding his temples to get his head to stop spinning.  Finally, he was able to blearily blink his eyes open and tentatively raise his ears to listen to his surroundings.  He was in a single, medium-sized room, which appeared to be part of a larger complex.  Most likely, this was one of many guest rooms in the rich man’s home, clustered around a central courtyard.  On either side he could hear people snoring in adjacent rooms.  It would be as good a place as any to start searching for his missing companions.  

He was about to start the arduous process of rising to his feet when a flash of crimson caught the corner of his eye.  It was a clump of fabric crumpled into a ball where it had been haphazardly discarded.  In fact, it looked suspiciously like his—

Inuyasha looked down at himself and nearly choked.  Why the hell was he naked?!  He quickly scrambled on hands and knees toward his hakama, which he slid on and fastened without bothering to look for his fundoshi first.  Walking around sans undergarments was the least of his worries right now.  His head was spinning again, and now he was genuinely concerned about what he might have done last night after his memory cut out.  If some poor girl woke up and realized that she slept with a hanyou…that was the sort of thing that could ruin a girl’s life in most villages.  Not to mention the fact that Kagome would ‘osuwari’ him straight to hell; he’d spend about a week climbing out of the crater.  Silently praying to every Kami he knew, he slowly turned back to face the futon he’d been sleeping in.  

Why did the Kami never listen to him?  Sure enough, there was a girl in his bed, naked judging by the extent of her bare back revealed by the sheet.  Yep, Kagome was going to kill him.  On principal alone, he was going to have to castrate himself.  Unless of course Kagome did it for him.  And depending on what this girl said about how exactly how they’d come to lie together last night, that seemed like a startlingly likely possibility.  He was not optimistic that she’d be understanding and admit to ‘mutual mistake.’  She’d probably cry rape to lessen the shame upon herself for sleeping with a hanyou.  He could only hope that Kagome and the others would believe him.  Nobody in the village would.  Hopefully the girl would stay asleep long enough for him to gather his companions and make a quiet exit.  

She chose that moment to stir, and Inuyasha held his breath.  But she only shifted slightly before settling down, somehow managing to slide the sheet even lower so the top of the crack of her backside was visible.  Inuyasha allowed himself a moment to peruse her form, then looked away.  She was very attractive, with a shapely body and long, raven hair that would probably be very pretty when it wasn’t so matted and tangled by nightly activities.  A normal human male would be thrilled to wake up next to such a beauty, even if she was a total stranger.  It would be something to brag about with close friends.  But hanyou were not permitted to enjoy such things.  He was lucky to have one male friend, and he could certainly not expect the girl’s reaction to be mere upset over her night of irresponsibility.  No, this girl would scream to high heaven and bring the wrath of an angry village down upon him.  It was time to go.  As soon as he found his haori and kosode.  

Find them he did, in the opposite corner of the room.  He tip-toed past the sleeping girl on shaky legs, gathering up his clothing—and Tetsusaiga—before turning to sneak past her and out the door.  He would finish dressing outside, where the rustling of his garments was less likely to wake her.  After a brief mental debate, he allowed himself a glance at her face, wanting to know what she looked like at least.  

And just like that, Inuyasha’s entire world came crashing down around him.  

This couldn’t be.  It wasn’t possible.  It was totally, completely, utterly impossible.  But unless his eyes were lying to him, the impossible had become reality.  Unless his mind was playing tricks on him, and he was somehow projecting the girl whose face he had memorized down to the finest detail onto someone else…  He was running around in circles, chasing his own tail with these denials.  There was one very simple way to know for sure, as much as he dreaded it.  So he gritted his teeth and breathed slowly and deeply through his nose.  

A veritable explosion of scent buffeted him, a cacophony of olfactory information which caused his head to throb with renewed vigor.  But though his nasal passages burned and the tiny abusive Sesshoumaru were back inside his skull, there was no denying what he smelled.  Four scents in particular stood out to him: the girl, sweat, blood, and most damningly, sex.  Just because he had never had sex before did not mean he was unfamiliar with its very particular aroma, produced by the various associated bodily fluids and secretions.  Sex had definitely occurred in this room very recently…on that futon…with that girl…  And judging by how his own body smelled upon closer inspection, combined with their sleeping arrangements and lack of clothing…Inuyasha had a feeling he knew exactly who her partner had been last night.  

In that moment, there was only one word to sum up precisely how Inuyasha felt about this revelation, one singular syllable which could encompass the totality of his emotions in all of their nuanced intricacy.  

“Shit.”  


A/N – Isn’t “shit” a great word?  Especially when you’re too hung over to think of anything more sophisticated.  This chapter is dedicated to everyone who has been where Inuyasha (or Kagome) is at one time or another.  We feel your pain.  

I don’t really have much of a basis for my theory that Inuyasha is not alcohol-resistant.  I remember there was an anime episode where he got tipsy, if not drunk.  Not sure if that was canon or one of those “anime-only” episodes.  At any rate, I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch, especially because he has built up absolutely no tolerance for the stuff.