InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Blackout ❯ Sacrifice ( Chapter 13 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Disclaimer: I don’t own Inuyasha or any of the publicly known characters, plot, etc.  I’m just renting them from Rumiko Takahashi, Viz, etc.   I do own the plot of this story and any original characters I’ve created.  I will make no money from this fic; I write for my own enjoyment and the enjoyment of my readers.  


WARNING – this chapter contains non-consensual sexual content.  Nothing overly graphic is portrayed, but the content is there.  


Sacrifice


Kagome could only stare at her captor in horror, as he turned the pokers over in his hands and fingered his chin contemplatively.  

“I suppose there are two ways to do this,” Mukotsu muttered.  He held the poker vertically like a knife, subconsciously making small stabbing motions as he continued to think out loud.  “This way is easier, I suppose, but then you’d bleed out pretty quickly.  It’s hard to have fun with a girl who’s half-dead from blood loss.  I like ‘em to be fully aware, at least until the poison kills them.  

“The other way of course is more difficult,” he observed thoughtfully, “and if I mess it up, then you’ll likely bleed out anyway.  Hm…what to do, what to do…”

“Go fuck yourself…that’s what you can do,” Sango ground out, the poison in her system making coherent speech a real challenge.  

Mukotsu ignored her.  “I did get to observe the procedure once, but it was so long ago that I don’t know if I remember.”  Finally, after several more moments of deliberation, he shrugged.  “Eh, what the hell?  Let’s give it a try.  And if I accidentally kill you prematurely, then at least I’ll have the chance to get intimately acquainted with that not-so-virgin flower of yours.”   

Kagome paled visibly, grisly stories of back-alley abortions and women killed or scarred for life running through her mind.  Such practices were on the decline in the modern world as abortion became more widely legalized, but she knew that women still became victims every day, especially in the third world.  It would be terrible enough to lose the child inside of her, but to be rendered incapable of having children in the future was an unfathomably dreadful thought.  

Mukotsu grinned, drinking in her fear.  The girl didn’t know it, but in his younger days he’d actually trained to be a healer.  Part of mastering the craft was learning what substances could kill you, a subject he’d always found to be far more fascinating that actually healing people.  Eventually, he’d discovered his true calling, and by the time the Shichinintai had recruited him he’d already been a master poison user.  But in his youth, he had indeed observed his master’s attempt to terminate a pregnancy.  The luckless girl had been barely out of puberty, and was carrying a rapist’s child.  She’d tried every herbal remedy available, but nothing worked.  Finally, his master had attempted to remove the brat manually.  But something went wrong, and the girl started bleeding internally.  It had taken her three days to die; he could still hear her delightful groans of agony and despair.  But at least she hadn’t been pregnant anymore.  And since his current victim was likely going to die soon from the poison anyway, what did he care if he injured her?  As long as that hanyou’s whelp was no longer alive in her belly.  

“You bastard…leave her alone!”  

“Now, now, taijiya,” Mukotsu scolded lightly, quite amused by her feeble outbursts.  “Wait your turn.  I’ll be with you soon enough.”  He strolled over to Kagome and wrestled her knees apart with his hands, taking a moment to admire her panty-clad womanhood with an appreciative whistle.  

“Those are some strange smallclothes.  But I like ‘em!”  

“You ugly…son of a bitch!”  

Mukotsu’s hand had been reaching to tear off Kagome’s panties, but it froze at Sango’s words.  It was just a momentary hitch, but it was enough to let the taijiya know that she’d finally found a sore spot.  Sometimes, she reflected with a victorious smile, it was best to just go with the obvious.  

“You’re nothing but…a hideous freak.”  

“Shut up, taijiya,” Mukotsu growled, finally turning his full attention toward Sango.  

“With that revolting face…have you ever found a woman…willing to share your bed?”

“I said shut up!”  

“When you came out…your own mother probably…wanted to kill herself.”  

“Don’t…”

“If she saw you now…she’d throw herself off a cliff.”  

“Don’t!” Mukotsu shrieked, his already disfigured face contorting with uncontrollable rage.  “Don’t talk about MY MOTHER!!!”  

In a flash, he rose to his feet and pounced on Sango like a predator.  The taijiya raised a hand as if to ward him off, but the poison in her body rendered the attempt useless.  Mukotsu snatched her wrist out of the air, slammed it against the floor, and stabbed the pokers into her palm so viciously that they passed completely through her flesh and embedded in the wood underneath.  Sango squealed in pain, and received a backhand across the face for it.  

“So bitch, I’ve never had a willing woman, have I?” Mukotsu snarled.  “So what?!  I’ve had plenty of women, and I don’t care if they’re willing or not.  I’m about to have you in the same way.  I’m going to teach you a lesson for insulting me.”  

Most women might have been frightened into submission at this point.  Not Sango.  She leaned her head up as far as she could and spit at Mukotsu’s face.  Only one droplet of saliva actually made it to the target, but Mukotsu was obliged to wipe it off of his cheek with a finger.  He stared at it in disbelief, then turned his irate gaze to Sango, as his eyes became bloodshot, tinged with insanity.  He threw his head back and let loose an inhuman wail, and when he turned his attention back to her, Sango knew that she had achieved her goal.  

His fist snapped her head around and caused her skull to smack against the floorboards, leaving her lightly dazed.  She wished the blow had knocked her unconscious.  The next few minutes of her life would be much less unpleasant if she was not awake to experience them.  She knew her choice was correct, and if she had the chance to go back, she would do the same thing over again.  She only hoped that the consequences would not be too much for her to bear.  

Kagome came out of her stupor at her friend’s cry.  Maybe she had gone into a bit of shock, from the poison and from seeing Mukotsu standing over her, about to kill her baby.  She remembered everything that had transpired since then, but it had seemed surreal at the time, as if it was happening on some other plane.  After all, why on earth would Sango intentionally provoke Mukotsu like that?  Then the answer came to her, and she gasped, turning to observe her friend’s plight.  

Sango coughed, spitting blood out onto the floor.  The entire left side of her face was swelling up into one massive bruise, courtesy of the series of slaps and punches directed there.  Kagome swallowed a scream as Sango’s crazed attacker wrenched open her robes, then punched her hard just below the ribs.  Several more fevered blows left her gasping for breath, even as Mukotsu’s hands began to maul her breasts.  His nails tore at the cloth binding, scraping her tender flesh raw.  Mad laughter escaped his throat as he sought to inflict more and more pain.  Sango held in her cries and remained mostly silent, but her bravery only seemed to incite her attacker to heightened brutality.  

It was then that the two women locked gazes.  Sango stared into her friend’s horrified, tearful eyes, and drew strength from them.  Seeing Kagome reminded her of why she had chosen this path in the first place.  

For Kagome, the message her friend relayed back to her was nothing short of staggering.  It was as if Sango was telling her that everything was okay, that she had wished for this.  And finally, the full import of the taijiya’s sacrifice became clear.  Sango had intentionally drawn Mukotsu’s attention and driven him into a rage, to save Kagome and the tiny life growing inside her.  She was willing to give up everything, and endure a terrible experience, to buy Inuyasha more time to arrive and rescue them.  It was amazing, such courage and devotion.  Simply amazing.  

But Kagome’s heart cried out in protest.  She could not lay back and allow Sango to be raped, no matter how noble her intentions were.  She had to do something!  Unfortunately, there was only one way out of this.  With their bodies crippled by poison, neither she nor Sango stood any chance of overpowering their captor.  The only way to kill him and end this torment was to remove his jewel shard.  But how?  Even if she could manage to get over there, her chances of yanking the shard out with her fingers were slim to none.  She needed a weapon, but Mukotsu’s hut seemed to be hopelessly bereft of anything usable.  

A glint of metal caught her eye, dark and sinister.  It was the pokers from the fire, still embedded in Sango’s right hand.  With every involuntary movement the taijiya made, her hand shifted up and down.  About half the length of the pokers was stained red with blood, the constant friction on the wound surely adding to her misery.  Suddenly, Kagome knew what she had to do.  Even if this failed, she could at least take away a small portion of Sango’s pain.  

Mustering every ounce of strength she possessed, Kagome attempted to roll onto her front.  Her first effort failed, but she tried again, refusing to give up.  Her muscles screamed in agony, but it was nothing compared to what Sango was feeling right now.  Finally, she managed to flop gracelessly onto her stomach.  Even that small move exhausted her, but there was no time for rest.  Sango was still in peril.  Mukotsu had grown bored with her chest and was now fumbling with her skirt, trying to remove it so he could throw open her kosode and have his way with her.  Fortunately, in his frenzied state of mind, he was having trouble with it, but Kagome knew that would not last for long.  

The next ten or fifteen seconds seemed to take hours, as she crawled across the floor.  Finally, she drew directly abreast of Sango’s injured hand, and began to pull out the pokers.  For once, luck was with her; the metal had not penetrated deeply into the wood, so even Kagome in her weakened state was able to yank them out.  Sango yelped in surprise and cradled her hand against her chest, both of which served to draw Mukotsu’s attention.  

“What the hell are you doing, girl?” he snarled, seemingly more annoyed than concerned.  “Trust me, that little pinprick in her hand is the least of your friend’s worries.  Once I get this damn skirt off!”  

Kagome felt a surge of relief.  Mukotsu did not yet comprehend what she was really up to; he thought she had just wanted to ease Sango’s suffering.  And as he became engrossed once more in his vile task, Kagome made her move.  Somehow she forced herself into a half-sitting position, leaning heavily on her left arm as she focused her mind and located the jewel shard in Mukotsu’s neck.  Then with a silent prayer for accuracy, she drove her right hand forward and stabbed the pokers into his flesh.  

Time seemed to stand still.  Mukotsu’s jaw dropped in shock, and for a brief moment Kagome thought she had been successful.  Then his eyes hardened and the truth hit her, almost as hard as the fist which sent her sprawling to the floor.  She had missed.  

“Hmph, it seems that both of you girls wish to die first,” Mukotsu declared, flinging the pokers away to clatter against the nearby wall.  “Very well, girl, I’ll grant your wish.”  

Mukotsu’s body settled on top of her, but it was her heart which felt truly heavy, the crushing weight of her failure.  Now her baby and her friend, the woman who had tried to sacrifice herself for her, were going to die because she had choked in the crucial moment.  Was that not what she always did?  There was a reason Inuyasha had to constantly save her.  She had been a fool to believe that she could help anyone, pregnant or no.  

Mukotsu’s hands closed around her neck, cutting off her air supply.  Despite her sorrow and guilt, Kagome found it within her to struggle.  But it was futile; she could no more pull his hands away than she could go back in time and shift her aim a couple centimeters higher.  Finally her lungs began to burn, and her head swam, her consciousness wavering.  Perhaps that was a blessing.  

“I’m going to kill you, girl,” Mukotsu told her.  “And then I’m going to make what’s left of your friend’s life a living he—ack!”  

Suddenly the pressure on her neck was gone, and Kagome inhaled a shuddering breath.  Mukotsu had probably intended the remark as a final dagger through her heart, but in the end, her heart remained unpierced and the dagger proved to be not as figurative as he intended.  As Kagome discovered when she opened her eyes and saw Sango’s hidden arm blade passing entirely through his forearm.  Mukotsu did not bleed as a living human would, but he evidently felt pain just as strongly.  He wrenched the blade from his arm, threw his head back and screamed.  For all the pain this wretched man liked to inflict, he apparently did not have a high tolerance for it himself.  

Kagome reflected morosely on the uselessness of Sango’s action.  As soon as he recovered, Mukotsu was going to carry through with his plans.  At most, the taijiya’s bravery had bought them a few extra seconds.  The odds of Inuyasha actually being able to take advantage of that sliver of time were astronomical.  Then she felt it—a warm hand grasping her own, cool metal placed into her palm.  

“Do it, Kagome-chan,” Sango rasped, her voice weak but carrying absolute faith.  

Buoyed by Sango’s confidence, Kagome buried her despair, drawing conviction from the warmth of her friend’s touch, the hardness of the metal in her hands.  She had failed once, but not this time.  This time she would save their lives.  

Mukotsu looked down, his eyes crossing as he studied the pokers protruding from his neck, and the arm attached to them.  His gaze panned over to the girl who had stabbed him, and for the first time since his resurrection, he felt genuine fear.  With an expression fiercer than any he had ever known, his rare beauty wrenched the pokers from his flesh, tearing out a chunk of his neck in the process.  A tiny pink object fluttered in the air for a moment, glittering exquisitely as it fell to the floor and bounced across the wood.  

“No way…”

Those were his final words.  Within moments, his body had turned to dust, leaving only his clothing behind.  

Kagome passively watched him disappear, allowing herself to indulge in some sense of relief.  But there was no thrill of victory; the cost had been too high.  Sango lay limply on her right side with eyes closed, her breathing shallow and haggard.  As Kagome watched, she coughed and spit out more blood.  Tears pooled in the miko’s eyes as she gazed at her friend, beaten to the point of merely existing, unable to muster the strength to even close her robes.  How much pain was she in?  The thought of Sango’s suffering tore a sob from Kagome’s throat.  The knowledge that she could do nothing about it threatened to make her physically ill.  

No, she could not relieve Sango’s pain.  She couldn’t heal her, apply a soothing salve to her wounds, or even fetch water for her.  Their exertions had accelerated the spread of the poison coursing through their bodies, further weakening both of them.  Kagome doubted she could make it out of this hut, even if she tried.  But despite her helplessness, she vowed to provide Sango whatever comfort she could.  Slowly, painfully, she scooted over next to the older girl, lifting her head to pillow against her shoulder.  Sango slumped bonelessly into her, and Kagome began to rub her hair soothingly, as the taijiya imagined the mother-to-be would do for her upset child one day.  Sango smiled at the thought.  

“Sango-chan,” Kagome whispered, voice overflowing with raw emotion.  “I’m so, so sorry.  I…don’t know how to thank you.”  

“It’s okay…Kagome-chan.  You would have…done the same…for me.”  

Kagome digested those words in silence, knowing they were true but still in a state of awe.  “You’re the best friend I could ever ask for, Sango-chan.  Like the sister I never had.”  

“Kagome-chan…”

“How badly are you hurt?”  

“I’ve been…in worse shape.”  

Kagome questioned the truth of that statement, but kept her doubts to herself.  Between her physical wounds and the poison, Sango was in rough shape.  If she survived this, her worst scars would perhaps be emotional.  As a woman, she had been violated, plain and simple.  She had not been raped, but it had been a near thing.  Even a woman as strong and brave as Sango would surely suffer some emotional consequences from this.  But that was a worry for another day.  Because if their bodies gave out, their psychological health wouldn’t matter.  If someone did not arrive soon to take care of them, they were both going to die here.  

As if on cue, Kagome heard the sound of the tatami mat being torn asunder, casting bright sunlight into the room.  When she looked to the source, her breath hitched.  

“Inuyasha…”

He stood in the entryway, breathing heavily with exertion.  He was battered and bloodied as well, and appeared to be favoring one leg.  But to Kagome, with the light shining behind him like a divine halo, he was nothing short of a blessing from the Kami.  

Inuyasha noticed several things immediately, some of which filled him with dread.  But the one which stood out the most, that chased away the crushing fears which had gripped him during his mad dash, was Kagome’s face.  She was smiling, albeit hesitantly, her eyes shining with gladness.  He gathered that whatever negative emotions she was feeling were regarding Sango’s condition, rather than her own or their child’s.  But he wasted no more time in darting to her side, needing to be sure.  

“Are you okay, Kagome?”  

He touched her face, where it looked like she had been struck a couple times.  But those were relatively minor, and in fact she didn’t appear to have suffered any significant injuries.  Aside from the poison, of course, which in itself was life-threatening.  

“I’m okay.  Just, the poison,” she told him, as if reading his thoughts.  

“Is that bastard Mukotsu dead?”  

Kagome nodded in response.  

“What about the baby?”  

She closed her eyes for a moment, focusing inwardly.  “He’s okay too.  Somehow, the poison isn’t affecting him.”  

Inuyasha sighed in relief, but took a moment to lift Kagome’s shirt and place his ear to her belly.  He believed her, but he needed that sensory confirmation.  Kagome seemed to understand, and made no protest.  Upon hearing the child’s heartbeat, Inuyasha turned his attention to the other woman in the room.  

“Sango…shit.”  

He realized how insensitive that was, but the taijiya only grinned wryly.  She still had her eyes closed, and when she spoke it sounded as though she was hovering on the border of unconsciousness.  Perhaps it was better that she was somewhat out of it, because her injuries looked like they would hurt.  She was leaning up against Kagome, but he could see a portion of one of her breasts, which looked like an animal had been at it.  That, and the disheveled nature of her clothing clued him in as to what Mukotsu had been doing.  

“That bad…huh?”  

“N-no, it’s not that bad.  You look fine,” he lied.  Sango snorted but made no further comment.  ‘Was she…’ Inuyasha mouthed at Kagome, who shook her head.  The hanyou nodded, grateful for the good news.  Sango had apparently been molested, but she was the toughest human he knew.  If he could help her survive the poison, then she would be back to her old self in no time.  He knew what the first step on that road to recovery was, and hoped it wouldn’t be too awkward.  

“Sango, can I…help you up and fix your clothes?”  

Her smile vanished, but she nodded, so he set to work.  He gingerly helped her into a sitting position, supporting her so she didn’t topple over.  Closing the kosode properly without jostling her injuries was a real challenge, but he took his time and managed to get it done.  And he certainly did not take any liberties with his eyes or his hands.  Sango for one seemed to appreciate his consideration.  

“Thanks, Inuyasha,” she said as he laid her back down.  “Better you than…Houshi-sama, I suppose,” she joked, before her expression turned serious once more.  “Where is Houshi-sama?”  

“I left him right outside.  There’s a ring of poison around this hut.  I gotta get you two outta here.”  

“Is he okay?”  

“Keh.  That idiot’s too stubborn to die so easily.  He got poisoned though.”  

Sango digested that information in silence, and Inuyasha turned to his next task.  He quickly came up with what he hoped was the best way to carry the two women without making the experience miserable for them.  

“Kagome, can you hold onto Sango?”  

The miko nodded, and Inuyasha positioned them so that Kagome was essentially spooning Sango.  Then he slid his arms underneath both of them and lifted, supporting them at the ribs and under the knees.  Sango rested partially on Kagome, but not uncomfortably so.  He had to grit his teeth against the fresh pain in his left shoulder, but his own well-being was a secondary concern at the moment.  Gingerly, he carried the two women out of the hut and leapt over the billowing wall of poison.  Then he laid them down next to Miroku, Shippou, and Kirara, and turned to gaze out over the horizon, wondering what the hell he was going to do now.  

* * *

Sango woke to the pleasant sensation of fingers running gently over her cheek.  For some reason, she thought this should probably hurt.  Then as her memory returned, she recalled the severe beating she’d taken to that side of her face.  But the touch was so soft and reverent, that only a tingling warmth emanated from the affected area.  She opened her eyes, expecting to discover Kagome or perhaps Shippou caressing her like that, but instead found herself face to face with Miroku.  

She gasped at the expression on his face, the haunted look in his eyes.  As if seeing her in such a pitiful condition was incredibly painful for him.  She saw guilt, irrational to be sure but still present.  And beyond all of that, there lurked other emotions which she dared not name, one in particular which caused her heart to swell.  In her semi-delirious state, she could not be completely sure what was real and what was a figment of her imagination.  

“Sango…are you all right?”  

“F-fine, Houshi-sama.”  

“Are you certain?” he asked, his tone doubtful.  

“Y-yes.  Just a little beat up.”  

He still didn’t look like he believed her, so she did something to distract him.  Something which she would normally never do, yet seemed oddly appropriate in this situation, with both of them so weak from the poison.  She reached up with her uninjured left hand and removed his hand from her face, squeezing it reassuringly as she brought it down to settle between them.  Miroku squeezed back, and finally the doubt left his expression, replaced once again by worry and that other emotion she was probably imagining.  

A shiver passed through her suddenly, courtesy of a cool gust of wind.  Idly she wondered how nice it would be to lie in Miroku’s embrace, how warm it would feel in his arms.  A bit of color returned to her cheeks at this thought, but again, her condition gave her courage.  What did she have to lose?  If she was going to die, what better place than the arms of her beloved?  

Too embarrassed nevertheless to tell him outright what she wanted, and too weak to move to him, she had to resort to repeatedly tugging on his hand until he got the message.  It took a substantial feat of will for the monk to move his exhausted body, but there was no way he was going to miss out on this opportunity, even if the exertion killed him.  Sango let out a contented sigh as she settled against him, her head resting on his arm.  She felt him place a tender kiss to her temple as she drifted off to sleep.  

Inuyasha snorted and shook his head at the pair.  It figures that those idiots would need to be on the verge of death to have a ‘moment.’  Mildly amusing as the notion was, it also carried a dark truth.  Kagome, Miroku, and Sango were all on the verge of death.  It would not be immediate, unless their conditions took a dramatic turn for the worse, but all of them were spiraling down into the abyss.  It was happening before his very eyes, even in the ten minutes he had taken to come up with a plan.  He had been hoping that Kirara would wake up, but the fire-cat was still hopelessly unconscious.  And that meant moving his friends would be a real challenge.  

He didn’t want to move them, to be sure, as that would only quicken the effects of the poison.  But they desperately needed treatment, and he couldn’t do anything here.  Their bodies couldn’t fight the poison on their own.  Kagome had some medicine in her bag that might help, and he thought he knew a few herbs which when mashed into tea and drank could counteract certain poisons.  Not to mention the stab wound in Sango’s right hand, which needed to be cleaned and bandaged lest it become infected.  Unfortunately, all of the supplies which would enable him to take any of those measures were back at the battlefield.  And he didn’t dare leave his friends alone for any length of time; they had tempted fate enough for one day.  

In addition, he needed to find a safe place for them to recuperate, out of the mercy of the elements.  Weakened bodies fell ill much more easily than strong ones.  Even a simple cold could be enough to kill any one of them at this point.  Also, it was fairly obvious that Naraku, and by extension the Shichinintai, knew where they were and what shape they were in.  A Saimyoushou had flown away with Mukotsu’s jewel shard a few minutes ago while he wasn’t looking.  The best remedy for avoiding further trouble would seem to be staying on the move.  It was a no-win situation, really.  Move too much, and you accelerate your friends’ deaths.  Move too little, and some bastard with a jewel shard tries to kill you.  Not that he would ever shy from combat, at least for his own sake.  There was always that savage part of him, lurking deep within, that just wanted to hunt down and slaughter every single one of these bastards.  But his friends had to come first, and if taking care of them meant running away from his enemies, then so be it.  

He rolled his left shoulder experimentally and bit back a curse as fresh blood leaked from the wound.  If he found Kagome’s bag, he would have to bandage himself as well, just to try to conserve as much blood as he could.  Every drop lost could mean the difference between life and death, if an enemy found them.  But for now, all he could do was groan miserably, knowing what he had to do and how much it was going to suck.  

He allowed himself to indulge in self-pity for all of two seconds before setting about his task.  Miroku and Sango were already nestled together, so all he had to do was carry Kagome over and set her down so that she rested halfway on top of the monk.  After placing Kirara and Shippou on Kagome’s lap, he knelt and picked everyone up in the say way he had carried the two women before.  The load was heavier this time, and more awkward, but he managed to get to his feet even as his leg and shoulder screamed at him.  After checking to make sure Miroku could still breathe with Kagome and Sango lying on him, Inuyasha decided that the humans were as comfortable as he could possibly make them.  Keh.  If the bouzu was conscious, he’d be having a field day right now…damn, that fucking hurts!!!  

A determined growl rumbling in his throat, Inuyasha hobbled back toward the battlefield, careful to keep his pace slow.  He didn’t want to jostle his precious cargo or aggravate his leg injury.  He just prayed that their supplies were still there, or this would be an exhausting and potentially costly waste of time.  

* * *

Inuyasha’s ear flicked, dislodging a pesky biting insect.  The damn thing had been bothering him for a few minutes now, but he didn’t have a free hand to swat it away.  So he had to settle for growling in annoyance and flicking his ear periodically as he trudged up yet another wooded hillside.  

Aside from the fly, things were going about as well as he could have reasonably hoped for.  His friends had not awoken since they departed Mukotsu’s hut a few hours ago, but they were all breathing steadily.  Shippou and Kirara were starting to show signs of coming around as well, which would be a big help.  Fortunately, that simpleton Jakotsu had not thought to make off with any of their supplies.  Arriving back at the battlefield after an arduous trek, Inuyasha had given his friends the medicine from Kagome’s bag and made his own batch from various plants and water from one of her bottles.  He wasn’t completely sure that he had remembered the recipe correctly, but there wasn’t much he could give them that would make their condition worse, so he decided to chance it.  They had seemed to breathe a little easier after ingesting both medicines, so perhaps he had gotten it right after all.  When Shippou woke up, he would ask his opinion; the kit might have better knowledge of poison antidotes than he did.  

Inuyasha had also tended to Sango’s hand and bandaged his own shoulder, which by that point was oozing fresh blood with every step he took.  His leg received similar treatment, and he felt much better to at least have something covering the wounds to control the bleeding.  Another thing that helped was remembering how useful hiraikotsu could be as a tool for carrying people.  Currently the boomerang was suspended behind him by both his hands, the three humans sitting on it and leaning against his back.  The addition of Miroku made it much more awkward than it had been all those months ago with just Kagome and Sango, but he was managing.  If he traveled slowly, he had no problem maintaining balance.  This arrangement had the added bonus of being more comfortable for his friends and was easier on his shoulder.  

There had been no way to carry Kagome’s massive bag, so he’d buried it under a fallen tree.  He knew he could find it again if they decided to go back for it.  If his friends recovered, of course.  Getting a roof over their heads and a fire to keep them warm at night would help with that, he knew.  He looked up at the sky and saw that the sun was somewhat west of its apex and was starting to make its way down toward the horizon.  There was still plenty of daylight left, but soon the air would begin to cool.  He had all senses tuned for signs of human habitation, but had found nothing so far.  He’d thought about going back to the village Jakotsu had attacked earlier, but that would surely be the first place the Shichinintai would look for them, even if the traumatized villagers didn’t try to kill him on sight.  Ideally, he would find an abandoned hut or cave somewhere, but if he had to go into a human settlement, he hoped the residents would at least allow him to stay the night since he had sick humans with him.  And if not, a little show of force could do wonders.  

So despite the dire situation, there was cause for optimism.  Still, Inuyasha couldn’t help feeling like things were going a bit too well.  Given their recent track record, something was bound to go wrong very soon.  So he was not surprised when that telltale scent of corpse and graveyard soil reached his nose.  Cursing under his breath, he gently set his friends down and leaned them up against a large tree.  He nudged Kirara, but the fire-cat only stirred slightly and did not wake.  

“Shit,” he growled, baring his fangs and drawing Tetsusaiga.  His dark lurker rejoiced at the opportunity to shed an enemy’s blood, but the dominant hanyou part of him was anything but pleased.  Nonetheless, he vowed that whoever this bastard was would dearly regret picking a fight.  

Senses primed, Inuyasha watched and waited.  

* * *

“Oh, would you hurry the hell up already?!”  

“P-p-please!  I’m going as fast as I can.  I beg of you, don’t hurt my family!”  

Jakotsu rolled his eyes and resumed his pacing.  He was more annoyed at that damn Renkotsu than anything else.  He had sent a Saimyoushou to his aniki, asking where he was and whether he could fix Jakotsutou.  The response Renkotsu had sent was, ‘Go hide in a hole for a while, Jakotsu.  I’m busy, and I don’t need you interfering.’  Jakotsu wanted to tear his hair out just thinking about it.  The nerve of that guy!  I just know he’s busy plotting against my Inuyasha.  I swear, if I don’t get to fight Inuyasha again, I’ll…I’ll…I’ll complain to oo-aniki!  

That sounded lame, even inside his head.  But he had seldom dared to go against Renkotsu’s decisions, before or after their resurrection.  There was something sinister about the guy that made Jakotsu uneasy around him.  Even oo-aniki didn’t trust him completely.  

Be that as it may, his aniki’s stubborn asshole-itry had put Jakotsu in a tough spot.  Either ‘hide in a hole’ as Renkotsu-no-baka suggested, or find someone else to repair his Jakotsutou.  He’d chosen the second option in the interest of getting back into the action as soon as possible.  He’d been so close to having his way with Inuyasha; the hanyou had been a hair’s breadth away from falling into his clutches.  But though Jakotsu hated losing, perhaps there was an upside to these defeats.  These teasing encounters might make the inevitable end result that much more enjoyable, once Inuyasha was finally his.  

His pleasurable thoughts were interrupted by a sniffling child, the blacksmith’s snot-nosed brat curled up in a corner of the hut with his mother.  Jakotsu sneered in disgust; the sooner he got out of this place, the better.  He had promised the blacksmith that he would spare his family’s lives if he fixed Jakotsutou.  And if the guy did a good enough job, he would keep his word.  Probably.  

Needing some fresh air, Jakotsu exited the hut and leaned against the outer wall.  He sighed wistfully, watching the setting sun sink below the horizon.  The blacksmith would likely be working long into the night.  Jakotsutou was probably more complicated than anything he had ever fixed before, and the high stakes involved meant that he would want to be very careful.  That was fine with Jakotsu, despite his earlier impatient outburst.  If he could set out with a fully repaired sword at first light, he would be happy.  

Inuyasha…stay alive until I see you again, okay?  


A/N – So that warning probably made you think that the NC content was going to be more severe than it actually was.  Sorry about that, but with things like this I figure it’s best to play it safe and warn too much rather than too little.