InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Blackout ❯ Replacement Body ( Chapter 33 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Disclaimer: I don’t own Inuyasha or any of the publicly known characters, plot, etc. I’m just renting them from Rumiko Takahashi, Viz, etc. I do own the plot of this story and any original characters I’ve created. I will make no money from this fic; I write for my own enjoyment and the enjoyment of my readers.


Replacement Body


Miroku groaned, running his hand over his face as he pulled himself into a sitting position. All around him, the other survivors of the battle were doing the same. A category of individuals which did not include Naraku. Whatever Inuyasha and Kagome–or Hakago–had done, no trace of the once formidable dark hanyou remained. The overwhelming discharge of energy which had knocked everyone unconscious for a few moments had also purged the air of the previously pervasive miasma. In addition, it had apparently at least partially purified the toxins already in his system, as his body felt significantly lighter than it had before he blacked out. Grinning to himself, Miroku raised his right hand and took the time to study his unblemished palm for the first time in over a decade. No trace of Naraku, indeed.

But his jubilation was short-lived. As soon as he turned to gaze at his fiancée, he was reminded that although Naraku was finally dead, some of the damage he’d wrought upon the world would never be healed. Sango was struggling to rise to her feet, her solemn stare fixed firmly upon the body of her recently deceased brother. Miroku hurriedly rushed over to her, steadying her with an arm around her waist and allowing her to lean against him. It was no wonder she was dizzy; he could see the outline of the large lump on her head even through her hair. Slowly they made their way over to Kohaku, as Sango mourned silently. Her fist clenched the front of his robes tightly, her nails digging into his skin, but Miroku made no complaint.

They found the boy lying on his stomach, his head turned away from them, his arms splayed out to the side at awkward angles. Miroku leaned over and discovered that his eyes were wide in death, though it appeared that in his final moments he had been free of Naraku’s control. Nonetheless, Miroku closed the eyes before he turned Kohaku over, glad that he’d been able to spare Sango from that sight at least. He wanted her final memories of her brother to be of a young man at peace, not of an unfortunate boy taken before he could truly enjoy what life had to offer. He arranged Kohaku with his arms leaning against his midsection, his taijiya weapon resting upon his chest. He put the boy’s hair into some semblance of order and cleaned a smudge from his cheek. Then he folded his hands, closed his eyes, and began to pray.

His message was simple. A cheerful boy, loved by his family and friends, who suffered a great tragedy through no fault of his own. This boy, finally free of the shackles which had bound him, would find peace and forgiveness in the next life, where his father already waited for him with open arms. Sometime during his heartfelt eulogy, the dam on Sango’s emotions broke; she cried quietly at his side, her hands again clenched into fists in her lap. Miroku recognized the gesture–it was the warrior’s mentality, to mourn for the dead, but also to feel anger, and wonder if there was anything which could have been done differently to avoid such a tragic fate. In the monk’s humble opinion, there was not. When he was finished speaking, he looped his arm around Sango’s shoulders and held her, gripping one of her hands with his free hand. She leaned bonelessly into him, accepting of his comfort, even if she could not yet accept her brother’s fate. But Miroku knew that would come eventually; with his love and the support of their friends, Sango would heal. They sat there for several minutes, mourning together in silence.

“Poor Kohaku-kun,” Rin’s voice stated suddenly, and Miroku raised his eyes to find Sesshoumaru standing before them, his young ward still held in his arm with Shippou clinging to the back of her kimono. The daiyoukai seemed to be of the opinion that all of this was beneath him; at any rate, he clearly was not here of his own volition.

“And you think Sesshoumaru-sama can help him?” Rin asked, to which Shippou nodded enthusiastically. Then she turned her doe eyes on the daiyoukai, who might have sighed and rolled his own eyes if he wasn’t so stoic. At once Miroku found himself impressed by Shippou’s cleverness. Ask Sesshoumaru directly to save Kohaku, and you’d be lucky if he settled for merely ignoring you. Get Rin to ask him for you, however, and your odds of persuading him increased tremendously. He gazed down at Kohaku for a few moments, then set Rin on her feet and drew Tenseiga. He closed his eyes and held the sword up to his forehead, conversing with it silently. When those piercing golden orbs snapped open again, he focused on Sango, the question in his sharp gaze unmistakable.

Sango initially had no response ready; she was clearly torn by the decision which had been set out before her. Miroku wondered what it would be like to find himself in her position, but his imagination fell short. It was an impossible dilemma, one which could haunt her for the rest of her days no matter which course she chose. But ultimately, it was her choice to make. Miroku wanted to help, but he bit his tongue, knowing that she would turn to him if she desired his input. After a few moments of silently contemplating, Sango did just that, her eyes practically pleading with him to tell her what was right. That was not something Miroku could do, but he could share his honest opinion.

“There is no way to know what Kohaku would have wanted,” he stated solemnly, “whether that be a peaceful death, or a second chance at life. However…if Sesshoumaru-sama does revive him, then he will at least have the opportunity to make that decision for himself.”

Relief flashed in her dark orbs, and it was clear that her thoughts had already been running along similar lines. She had probably feared that her deep love for her brother was clouding her judgment, and Miroku was glad to be able to put that concern to rest. Hopefully, both Sango’s and Kohaku’s desires could be honored. And if Kohaku could not be convinced that life was worth living, even a life dedicated to atoning for his self-perceived sins, then he could choose to die. He could walk into a nest of youkai, or even commit seppuku as the samurai did. But at least then it would be Kohaku’s decision.

Jaw set with confidence now, Sango nodded to Sesshoumaru. The daiyoukai swung his sword only once, appearing to cut empty air. Then he returned Tenseiga to his side, turned and stalked off, leaving four living humans behind him, whereas before there had been only three. Kohaku was now enjoying a less permanent sleep, his chest rising and falling steadily with his breathing.

“Tell Kohaku-kun that Rin says hi!” the girl called as she ran to catch up with her guardian. Coming to a quick decision, Miroku scrambled to his feet and jogged after them. When he said Sesshoumaru’s name, the daiyoukai stopped and turned his head, favoring the monk with a one-eyed glower which clearly indicated that there was a time limit on this conversation. Fortunately, Miroku didn’t have much to say.

“We are in your debt,” he stated, bowing low. He expected Sesshoumaru to scoff and say something like ‘this Sesshoumaru has no need for anything from a human,’ or at best to simply ignore him. Instead the daiyoukai seemed to consider his words carefully. Then, after an almost imperceptible nod, he resumed his departure, leaving Miroku to stare after him with his mouth slightly agape. Once the monk thought about it, however, he decided that Sesshoumaru’s reaction made sense. It would not be too much longer before Rin began to come of age, after all, something not even the powerful daiyoukai was equipped to deal with. Perhaps Sesshoumaru was already considering Kaede’s village as a possible home for his ward. Not that he and Sango would have refused Rin at any rate, but if her guardian wanted to regard her care as repayment of the debt they owed, then that was fine with Miroku.

Shaking his head, he turned back to his companions to find Sango gently attempting to rouse her brother. She was clearly somewhat concerned that he did not stir, but her visage also reflected genuine happiness. Miroku wasn’t too worried; Kohaku would wake when he was ready. Perhaps he simply wasn’t mentally prepared to face the world yet. Miroku had started to make his way back to his fiancée’s side when a crimson blur flashed in front of him, stopping him in his tracks. He turned his head just in time to catch a clear glimpse of Inuyasha, with a young woman riding on his back trailing a full head of raven hair. Then the hanyou leapt over a building, and the pair was gone.

“Did I hit my head too hard and dream that?” Sango asked as he approached. Miroku could only shake his head in confusion.

“We should follow them,” Shippou declared, and no one disagreed. Miroku could think of only one situation where it would be best for them not to follow, that one being that Kagome had somehow regained her freedom and she and Inuyasha were running off to make passionate love. But that scenario was extremely farfetched, for a multitude of reasons. More likely, Hakago still remained in control and the reason for the pair’s haste was less romantic than it was sinister. And if that was the case, then Inuyasha’s already at times suspect judgment would be even less prudent than usual.

“Are you up for it, Kirara?” Sango asked her companion, who ‘mewed’ her assent and transformed. She favored her rear leg where the youkai had bitten her, but was obviously willing to carry them, at least under such urgent circumstances. If the journey proved to be a lengthy one, they would have to reconsider. As much as they needed to follow their friends, they would not jeopardize Kirara’s health to do it.

Without further delay, the group mounted up, Miroku sitting behind Sango and supporting Kohaku’s unconscious form between them. Together, they soared into the sky, in hot pursuit of the one victory which would make this momentous day compete.

* * *

Inuyasha sighed miserably as he gazed across the battlefield. Miroku and Sango were praying over Kohaku’s corpse, while Sesshoumaru stood off to the side by himself. Inuyasha was mildly surprised that his half-brother hadn’t picked a fight with him yet; he’d vowed to leave Naraku alone, after all. The daiyoukai couldn’t really fault him for defending Kagome, but then he’d gone and destroyed Naraku with the miko’s help. That Sesshoumaru could take issue with, though the counterargument would be that the dark hanyou had been invincible without Hakago’s intervention, and Sesshoumaru certainly could have joined in that final massive confrontation if he’d so desired. But the daiyoukai had completely forgotten about Naraku once Rin’s life was placed in danger. Even now, he held the traumatized girl against his chest, uncaring if a few of her tears seeped into his clothing. Inuyasha could only shake his head. And yet he’ll still say that humans are beneath him…what a jackass. But the uncompromising idiocy of his elder sibling constituted the least of the hanyou’s concerns at the moment.

He was stalling, he knew. Hakago still gazed at him expectantly, waiting for an answer to his proposal. The little urchin was apparently tired of inhabiting the form of a frail human girl, and desired a replacement body. This had the potential to work out very well for all parties involved, particularly the hanyou and his beloved miko. The trouble was the identity of the person Hakago had chosen to serve as his next host–this portion of the agreement churned Inuyasha’s stomach and left a sour taste in his mouth. How can I do that to her, after everything we’ve been through? We used to be enemies, but now I consider her a friend. How can I force her to surrender herself to this parasite?

“Well, Inuyasha?” Kagome asked, her voice soft and pleading. Inuyasha almost gave in then and there, but shook his head violently to regain his senses.

“I can’t do it. We’ll find you somebody else.” Somebody as sadistic and rotten as you are. Somebody the world will be better off without.

“I’ve already told you, that is not an option. I have made my choice. And Kagome does not have time. She is fading, even as we speak. Every moment you waste makes it less likely that Kagome’s mind and spirit will be able to return, once I leave this body.”

Inuyasha clenched his jaw, understanding the situation perfectly. But what Hakago was asking him to do went against every fiber of his being, everything he stood for, all of the traits which he valued in himself. It was those traits which made him believe that he was even the slightest bit worthy of Kagome’s love. If he did this, if he became the monster he would need to be in order to go through with it, then he was nothing.

“I thought…I thought you would do anything for me, Inuyasha. Was I wrong?”

That voice, desolate and broken, stabbed straight through Inuyasha’s heart. He glanced at her face, those solemn, beautiful eyes, and all of his carefully constructed resolve crumbled around him. Deep in some corner of his mind, he was aware that this was just a ploy perpetrated by Hakago to bend him to his will. But he no longer possessed the moral fortitude to refuse, not when it seemed as though Kagome herself was begging him to save her. Kagome was running out of time, and he would do anything for her.

Anything.

* * *

A cool breeze blew gently through Kagura’s hair as she knelt in the sun-kissed meadow, her body casting a long shadow as the sun set behind her. She gazed down at the ground, covered by grass and flowers, and the still-visible indentation where a body had recently rested. No trace of that person remained. Kagura had hoped that her sister would be still clinging to life when she arrived, but no such luck. Kanna was gone. She had died here in this field, alone and afraid.

Kagura clenched her hands into fists and bit her lip as she blinked back tears. She, Kanna, and Rin had been on their way to Naraku’s castle, when shortly before reaching their destination, Kanna had asked to be left in this field. Evidently, she hadn’t wished to participate in the battle against their mutual master, and Kagura had respected her decision. Kanna…I told you to wait for me and promised that I would come back for you. But in the end, I couldn’t save you. I’m so, so sorry.

The wind lessened, swirling around her almost soothingly. Kanna’s face swam before her mind’s eye, and she might have considered the girl’s peaceful expression a product of her own imagination if a foreign presence had not also caused the heavy burden upon her heart to lighten. Kagura closed her eyes, a few rogue tears escaping to slide down her cheeks, her lips curling upward in a sad smile. So you were at peace, in the end. I’m glad, but I…I wish I could have repaid what you did for me. Thank you. Kagura choked back a sob as her sister smiled at her, the expression not seeming foreign in the slightest despite her having never worn it before. In death, she had found the freedom which had never been afforded to her during life. She was truly at peace.

Kagura remained there for some time, mourning in silence and remembering some of the times she and her sister had spent together. It struck her how little interaction they’d enjoyed, mostly due to Kanna’s personality. But they had been sisters in the truest sense, possessing the same tainted blood, and serving the same depraved sire. Kagura had taken comfort in that fact; no matter how badly Naraku treated her, she had never truly been alone. She owed Kanna so much more than her life. As long as she lived, her sister would always hold a special place in her heart. She would never forget her.

A sudden presence behind her caused Kagura to glance over her shoulder, to find unexpected company. The cold look in his eyes sent a shiver down her spine.

“Inuyasha, what–”

He moved suddenly, too quickly for her to react. Perhaps in the past, when his appearance would have immediately set her on edge, she might have been able to escape him. But not now, with her guard lowered due to their recent partnership. A level of trust she was beginning to regret. She cried out as he tackled her to the ground, swiftly knocking her fan from her grasp and pinning her arms behind her. Before she knew what was happening, he had stood her upright and was half-carrying, half-marching her back toward the tree line.

“Inuyasha, what the hell are you doing? Let me go!”

He made no reply, which frightened her as much as his odd behavior. Inuyasha was not a quiet person; their back-and-forth banter had been part of the reason why they hadn’t torn each other’s throats out during their long stay in the youkai graveyard. That he would not even offer an insult or a word of explanation meant that something was seriously wrong. His aura was dark and foreboding, as though he had buried everything which made him the good person he was. All that remained was ice, cold and lifeless.

“Inuyasha! Let me–”

“Shut up!” he snarled, the venom in his tone stilling her tongue as he drew them to a stop at the edge of the meadow. His voice revealed anger, frustration, and great inner turmoil. Kagura opened her mouth to ask what was the matter, but a figure stepped into view from behind a large tree, causing her to swallow her question with a frightened gasp. Dread settled in her stomach as she observed the familiar cruel smirk splayed across those lips, and suddenly she had a sinking feeling that she knew the reason for Inuyasha’s behavior.

“Why all the fuss, Kagura?” Hakago asked in Kagome’s voice, as though he honestly couldn’t comprehend the reason for her struggles. Kagura redoubled her efforts, but Inuyasha held her firmly.

“Inuyasha, please!”

“You must have seen this coming, Kagura,” Kagome told her. “Did you honestly believe that I saved you from Naraku out of the goodness of my heart? Foolish woman. I did it because I had already chosen you as my next body. You are strong, mobile, and the people who might otherwise kill me do not wish you harm. And your heart…you try to hide it, but there is darkness there. I have sensed it. Delicious,” she finished, licking her lips.

Kagura went ballistic, thrashing violently enough to test even Inuyasha’s strength. She screamed, alternating between curses and indecipherable cries. The hanyou desperately wanted to pin his ears back against his skull, but he kept them upright, forcing himself to listen to every terrified exclamation. His teeth ground together audibly, tears pooling in his own eyes though he kept them trained on the unwavering malicious smile distorting Kagome’s features. He would not allow his mind to wander or to pretend this wasn’t happening. If he was going to help Naraku’s offspring essentially rape Kagura’s mind, then he could at least give her his undivided attention. She deserved nothing less.

Eventually something snapped inside Kagura, and she ceased her struggles. Her body and head slumped forward, and she hung limply in his hold, weeping bitterly.

“P-please, Inuyasha…I just got my freedom. You can’t do this to me!”

“Give it up, Kagura,” Kagome said, stalking closer. “It will be easier on you if you don’t fight me.” Then she raised her hand, reaching for Kagura’s cheek. The wind sorceress shied away instinctively, her voice now shaking with terror. But there was nowhere to go, as Kagome’s hand moved ever closer.

“N-no, please…stay away…please, no…no…NO!!!”

“DAMMIT!!! ”

Kagura found herself suddenly thrown to the side, and was barely able to move her hands in front of her to soften the landing. She spun around to regard her captors, eyes wide with fear and hope. Kagome’s arm was still outstretched, but she dropped it to the side while glaring at Inuyasha in annoyance. The hanyou stared at the ground, his face clenched in uncertainty, blood dripping from his clenched fists where his claws had punctured his palms.

“Get out of here,” he growled, voice barely above a whisper. Without another moment of hesitation, Kagura pulled out her feather and took to the air, swooping down only to gather her discarded fan. Then she soared off into the sky without looking back, her rapid, fear-fueled heartbeat driving her to speeds reached only once before, in another world not so long ago.

It would be well after dusk before she finally stopped running.

* * *

“Inuyasha,” Hakago snarled angrily in his own voice, “that was not part of our agreement.”

Inuyasha sank to his knees, leaning forward on his hands in case his roiling stomach decided to evacuate its contents. He knew he had done the right thing, but he took no pride in it. Instead, he felt only despair. He had condemned Kagome to death.

The odds of him finding a suitable host who was also agreeable to Hakago, before what was left of Kagome faded from this world, were slim to none. He had known this before releasing Kagura, and had still done it. He didn’t know whether he was a hero or a fool. Probably a little of both. His own conscience had not been enough to sway him from his chosen course, however. It had been Kagome, the thought of how she would react upon learning what he’d done, and who he’d sacrificed in order to save her. She would be ashamed, and a part of her would never forgive him. For Kagome would rather die than cause harm to an innocent, especially a friend. And if he let Hakago steal Kagura’s body, then Kagome would feel great guilt, as though she’d restrained the wind sorceress herself. In her mind, her hands would be just as dirty as his own. He couldn’t do that to her. Kagome obviously desired to be saved, and for their child to be saved. But she would not do anything to make it so; she would not become a monster. And therefore, neither could Inuyasha.

“Look at me, you fool!” Hakago demanded, and Inuyasha complied, raising tired eyes to gaze upon the form of his beloved. His golden orbs widened as he noticed the figures in the background, then he ducked his head in renewed shame. That Miroku, Sango, Shippou, and Kirara had witnessed what he’d almost done made him want to crawl into a hole and die. It was several moments before he mustered the courage to look at them again, but what he saw both amazed and humbled him. They understood. Though clearly horrified by what they had seen, they understood the stress he’d been under, the magnitude of the temptation he’d had to overcome. They still respected him, and would continue to support him, whatever he chose to do.

Whatever I choose to do…

He frowned as an idea occurred to him. Hakago wanted a strong, mobile body to replace Kagome’s, and Inuyasha could no longer stomach the thought of an innocent person becoming his victim. There was, however, a solution which might satisfy both parties.

“Use me,” he muttered, before he could question his sanity.

“What?”

“I said, use me,” Inuyasha declared, more firmly this time. He rose to his feet, his aura surging with determination rather than despair. “Take my body, you bastard.” Hakago regarded him thoughtfully, but Inuyasha felt driven to make his case. “You want somebody who’s strong? I grew up in a world where every youkai I met wanted to kill me. And I wasted them all. I killed Naraku. I slayed Ryuukotsusei. I took my fucking brother’s arm. You won’t find anyone stronger in this entire fucking country.

“You want somebody who’s mobile? I can run all day and all night without breaking a sweat. I can breathe pure miasma and come out laughing. The blood of the Inu-no-Taisho runs in my veins!” he exclaimed, thumping his chest. “You can look for the rest of your miserable life, and you’ll never find a body better than mine.”

Hakago studied him, not revealing his thoughts for several moments. Inuyasha knew he’d overstated things, but hoped his pitch had the desired effect. Finally, Kagome’s lips curled up into an amused smirk, and the hanyou knew he’d succeeded.

“I know what you’re thinking,” Hakago observed. “You believe that there is no darkness in your heart, nothing for me to latch onto. You’re confident that you’ll beat me, and that I’ll be reduced to a helpless infant again. I’ll admit that it is a bit of a risk, but as you say, the reward is worth it. Very well, Inuyasha, I accept your challenge. Everyone has darkness in their hearts. It is only a matter of time before I find yours.”

Inuyasha didn’t deny Hakago’s first assertion. It was true; he did have faith in the purity of his heart. Kagome would be free, and they could raise a family together. He had come to a resolution concerning his relationship with Kikyou. What room was there for darkness in his heart?

“Inuyasha.”

Shippou’s voice drew the hanyou’s attention to his friends, observing the scene solemnly from the sidelines. The kit’s voice trembled, but in his gaze Inuyasha saw acceptance and pride, the same emotions which were reflected back at him from his other friends. He nodded to Miroku and Sango in turn, then knelt by Shippou’s side and ruffled his hair. The kit’s tiny hands clutched his fingers fiercely.

“Make sure you come back,” Shippou told him, to which Inuyasha nodded, favoring him with a confident grin. After briefly petting Kirara, he stood and regarded his friends one last time.

“You guys…I don’t know what to say,” he began, voice thick with emotion. “It’s been an honor,” he declared, bowing deeply, a formal gesture which was immediately belied by his next words. “If this goes to shit, I need you to promise me something. Make Kagome put the baby first. Promise me that you won’t let her come after me.” Satisfied at their acceptance of that condition, Inuyasha smiled and closed his eyes, tilting his head up to the sky. There was just one more thing he needed to say.

“And tell Kagome…that I choose her.”

He turned at last to his opponent, ignoring the shocked gasps behind him. His friends knew him well enough to understand what he really meant. And Kagome would as well.

But that was a worst-case scenario. If he proved victorious here, he would tell Kagome how he felt in person, in words which did justice to the depths of his love, if such a thing was possible. Regardless, he vowed to show her, every day until death did them part. Inuyasha’s heart swelled, and he knew, without a doubt, that no darkness existed within him. Only light, only love.

He strode up to his waiting opponent and embraced Kagome tightly, inhaling the scent of her hair once more. His lips quirked into a smile as her hand rose to caress his cheek, sending him plummeting into oblivion.