InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Blame It On the Rain ❯ One-Shot

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

[I've been wanting to write a songfic for Inuyasha for a while, but I never could find the freaking right song that made me THINK of Inuyasha. Oriana X. Myst (best friend) calls me up this morning and tells me she heard the perfect one on the radio (and since a barely listen to the radio anymore-hate those blasted commercials, ick!) and told me to listen to it. I did and let me tell you it WAS perfect for Inuyasha and Kagome. ^_^ It's "Blame it on the Rain" by Milli Vanilli (is that how you spell his name?). For those of you who've heard the song and like Inuyasha, I hope you like this little songfic of mine.]

An Inuyasha Songfic:

Blame It On The Rain

"OSUWARI!!!"

Inuyasha cursed as he hit the ground with a resounding thud. That had to be one of the nastiest sits she'd ever given him. He opened his eyes slightly and saw her jump into the well.

"Feh," he said to himself. Good riddance. That stupid girl could say whatever she wanted! He didn't care if he never saw her again. He was sick of her.

Inuyasha slowly got up, his entire body hurting. Stupid girl. If she didn't get her way she always sat him. Bitch. He really hoped he never had to see her face again. It would probably make him puke. He dusted off his clothes.

What had they been arguing about anyway? He tried to remember, but couldn't quite grasp the reason. All he could remember was the words toward the end of the fight. The really hurtful words.

"Well, bitch, I don't need you! I never wanna see you again! Go back to your time and just STAY there! I don't need you with me! I don't WANT you with me, you stupid bitch!"

He could see her eyes glistening. "Damn you, you asshole! I don't have to take this shit from you! I've HAD IT! You can go straight to HELL for all I care, Inuyasha! You'll NEVER see me again! Let this be my farewell gift!" She tore of the last few shards she had around her neck and tossed them at him. The bottle shattered, the shards glittering in the sunlight. "Sayonara, Inuyasha!"

He reached down to grab the shards. "Feh! Good-bye and good riddance!"

"OSUWARI!!!"

He looked down at the shards in his hands. The fight had probably been about something stupid again… Suddenly the reason for the fight came back to him. Kikyo. Lately, all their fights had been about her. He remembered Kagome's glistening eyes. She had been ready to cry… OH CRAP! Inuyasha stared down at the Shikon shards in his hand. Kagome couldn't come back now that these had stayed with him and she had gone back to her time! She'd… really meant it…

Inuyasha suddenly collapsed to the floor. Full realization of what had happened hit him. Oh, shit. What'd I do…?

You said you didn't need her
You told her good-bye (good-bye)
You sacrificed a good love
To satisfy your pride

He shook his head. Shit, shit, shit, shit. He clenched his fist with the shards. She was serious this time. The entire fight played again in his head. The scene with him and Kikyo. Her hurt eyes. His pride reacting to protect him from the pain there. And then the fight had begun. Even though parts of him had said to just give a little, his pride had kicked in and made it impossible for him to listen… for him to care. Damn, damn, damn. What've I done? Kagome can't come back now… She can't come back ever again… Unless I bring her back! But… I can't. If I go back now, it'll be like saying it was my fault… I can't do that! Shit. What've I done…? Now…

Now you wished that you should have her (have her)
And you feel like such a fool
You let her walk away
Now it just don't feel the same

Inuyasha dropped his head in his hand and his shoulders slumped. The sky reacted with his mood and let out the tears he couldn't-wouldn't-shed. He lifted his head to the sky and let the rain drench him, hoping it would wash away the guilt and the pain that was rolling inside of him.

He was never going to see her again. It was just like that time when she'd seen him kiss Kikyo by the Go-shinkobu. He couldn't go after her… But that time she came back to him. This time she could never come back. This was it. It was over. Totally and completely over. They didn't even get to say good-bye the right way. They'd parted angrily and it was a parting forever. He looked down at the shimmering shards and his heart clenched. He saw her smile in his mind. He would never see her again. Ever. And it was… It was…

Gotta blame it on something
Gotta blame it on something

Gotta blame it on something

"CHIKUSHO!!!" he cried to the sky, but the thunder drowned him out. He could barely believe it. It was over. He looked to the well. So many times their fights had ended the same way. Her going back home to her time. Darkness was spreading across the sky, but the rain hadn't stopped. The stars and moon were obscured by the dark clouds that were still weeping with the blame.


Blame it on the rain that was falling, falling
Blame it on the stars that did shine at night
Whatever you do don't put the blame on you
Blame it on the rain, yeah, yeah

Inuyasha dragged himself up and made his way through the rain towards the tree where he had first met Kagome. The tree where Kikyo had imprisoned his soul for fifty years. And Kagome had come from her time and freed him. He closed his eyes and remembered those first few weeks with Kagome. She looked so much like Kikyo and yet was so refreshingly different. She was spunky, stubborn, feisty and she never backed down. He cursed again. He couldn't believe he'd let that fight get so bad… How could he have been so STUPID?!


You can blame it on the rain

"Inuyasha?"

He opened his eyes and saw Shippou in front of him. Oh, shit. He couldn't tell the kid. He'd start screaming at him and cursing him and stating the fucking obvious.

"Leave me alone, Shippou."

"What's wrong, Inuyasha? Where's Kagome? Did she go back to her time?" Shippou's eyes narrowed. "Did you fight with her again? What did you do to her this time, Inuyasha?!"

Inuyasha growled at the child. "Leave me the FUCK alone!!"

Shippou started and Inuyasha hurried away before the kid could recover from the shock. He closed his eyes as he ran, letting the rain drench him. Dammit, dammit! He didn't need everyone lecturing on what an idiot he was. He KNEW that already!


Should've told her you were sorry (sorry)
Could have said you were wrong

But no you couldn't do that.
Had to prove you were strong

Oh-ooh-ooh

Why couldn't he ever admit when he was wrong? But he wasn't really wrong! Was he? Whenever it was his fault he couldn't just say he was wrong! That would make him weak! And he hated being weak. "Chikusho…" He stopped running and just stood in the rain. But he should have known. Letting Kikyo kiss him again was a bad idea. Not only that, but this time, he knew Kagome had been watching. That's what had set her off. If he didn't know better, he'd say Kikyo set it up and kissed him on purpose right then, so Kagome could see…


If you hadn't been so blinded (blinded)
She might still be there with you

"Chikusho!"

Inuyasha fell to the floor again and just lay there, the Shikon shards in his hand, a painful reminder of what he'd done. Kagome was gone. Gone for good this time. How was he going to face everyone…? Dammit, how could he even face himself?! He knew he'd chosen Kikyo some time ago, but with Kagome… well, he wanted every moment he could get with her before it was over. And, so suddenly… It was all over. He couldn't go back no matter how much he wanted to.

You want her back again
But she just don't feel the same

It won't be the same after this. It would probably be better if he just let it end like this. The first time it was almost `over', Kagome had come back to him. But this time she couldn't. If he wanted her back, he would HAVE to go to her. But if he did… Well, he just couldn't. Not after what happened with Kikyo. What could he possibly say to her? He couldn't leave Kikyo, he…loved her… didn't he? Shit! He'd already made his choice. Kikyo was the one he was going to protect. And if Kikyo wanted to take him to hell with her then fine! And if she was helping Naraku, then it was probably for a reason! She's probably planning something! But… Kagome… What about Kagome? She'd saved him so many times he'd lost count. He hated the thought of her being in danger… He shook his head. Well, she's forever at home now. She wouldn't be in danger anymore!

But, but… He'd never see her again. He'd never see her smile, see her laugh, see her get so mad that she was ready to sit him. They wouldn't be able to travel together anymore. How were they going to find the rest of the Shikon shards and Naraku now? Kikyo can see the shards and probably knows where Naraku is. Maybe he could get her to help them… But Kaede ba-ba, Myouga ji-ji, Shippou, Sango and Miroku would all be pissed when they found out. They'd all blame him…


Gotta blame it on something
Gotta blame it on something

Gotta blame it on something

Kagome… "Chikusho," Inuyasha whispered. If he really cared more about Kikyo then whey couldn't he get the stupid girl out of his head? Why couldn't he just accept the fact that he was never going to see her again and deal with it? Without her everything becomes easier! He doesn't have to worry about protecting her or hurting her feelings. He doesn't have to worry about her at all! Then why…? Why does it hurt so much to think, to know that Kagome would never, ever be coming back? Why does it hurt?

Blame it on the rain that was falling, falling
Blame it on the stars that did shine at night
Whatever you do don't put the blame on you
Blame it on the rain, yeah, yeah

Inuyasha raised his head to the sky, wanting the rain to wash away the blame. Wanting it to wash away all the pain he had inside. He walked to the Sacred Tree and fell asleep on its roots.

Kagome…

A week passed and the rain still hadn't stopped. Inuyasha hadn't told anyone of his fight with Kagome. Actually he didn't see much of them at all. They spent the storm in Kaede's shack, safe and dry.

He stayed outside in the rain. What do I do? I've gotta do something or I'm gonna go crazy. I feel like I'm being dragged into the ground. Inuyasha stood by the well, half amazed and half horrified that it hadn't filled up with water considering the non-stop rain. He looked down, wishing Kagome would emerge from its depths. He missed her. He shouldn't miss her. But he did. He had Kikyo. He should go to Kikyo and then he'd be all right. But he didn't want to see Kikyo. He wanted to see Kagome. And that was driving him crazy. He knew it was his fault. And he knew he should go and apologize. But he just couldn't…

I'm gonna blame it on the rain
Cause the rain don't mind
And the rain don't care

He shook his head, clearing his thoughts. He didn't want to think anymore. He didn't want to think about it. He just had to accept it. He didn't want it to end like this.

He really didn't.

He wanted to travel with Kagome again, to be with her, to protect her. He wanted to have her around. When it ended, he wanted to end it right. He wanted to say good-bye to her the right way, maybe hold her… and wish that it didn't have to end.

But the way it had ended… He couldn't let it just stay like that! He just couldn't!

But if he went back that would mean that he was…


You got to blame it on something

Inuyasha turned and walked away from the well. It was the rain. The rain was making him think like this and get all depressed. He wouldn't be like this normally. He just missed her because the rain wasn't letting him do anything. If it were clear, then he could find Kikyo, hunt Naraku or shards, or do anything else… So he wouldn't have to think about Kagome. Yeah, if only the rain weren't here…

That night the storm ended and the skies cleared. Inuyasha lay on one of the branches of the Go-shinkobu, staring up at the starry sky. He could hear the `drip drip' of everything around him. The forest was quiet except for all the drips. His clothes were soaked through, his hair plastered against his face and body. He felt cold, but he didn't care. Being cold only complimented the loneliness he felt.

If Kagome had been here, she would never have let him spend the week of storm outside. She would have been stupid and gone out looking for him if he wasn't inside away from the rain within the first hour of the storm. Nobody else had come looking for him. They probably thought he wanted to be alone… Especially after he'd screamed at Shippou. But Kagome wouldn't have cared. She still would have gone out to look for him. Because she didn't… he was painfully aware that she wasn't here.

And would never be back again.

He cursed at the stars. There were so damn many of them. They weren't lonely. They probably had no idea what it felt like to be lonely! Stupid things. They were as bad as the rain!


Blame it on the rain that was falling, falling
Blame it on the stars that did shine at night
Whatever you do don't put the blame on you
Blame it on the rain, yeah, yeah

Inuyasha cursed again and jumped off the tree. He landed in a giant muddy puddle. "FUCK!!!" He leapt out and cursed again. He turned and began to head back to Kaede's hut. He was still wet and cold.

Halfway there he heard thunder clash. He looked up and saw the clouds beginning to cover the sky again. Again?! What was with this weather? It just wanted to ruin his mood more! He was hoping to kill some youkai or find Naraku or spend some time with Kikyo… or something! Anything to get his mind off Kagome! But now the rain had to come back and just make his life even more miserable than it already was!

All he wanted to do was forget about her! He didn't want to have to go to her time and tell her… and tell her to come back! Only to have her leave later anyway! She's gone for good. She doesn't have to be involved in the fight with Naraku! She can stay at home and live a normal life without him! Inuyasha closed his eyes tightly and screamed at his feelings. Stop complaining! She's never coming back! And I'm NOT going to go get her! I'm not going to go crawling back! She's gone! Gone, gone, gone, gone! It's better this way! Now I don't have to say goodbye to her later…

Inuyasha sighed. "Who am I kidding?" I want to spend as much time with her as possible… cause I know that we can't be together in the end… Even though a part of me knows that its probably better like this, but another part of me doesn't want it to end like this! It just doesn't.

He ignored the rain when it came pouring down again.

You can blame it on the rain

Inuyasha suddenly came awake. He blinked away the fogginess in his eyes. The rain was still coming down. He lifted his arm and grabbed onto the edge of the well. The rain had been coming and going for the last month. And this entire month he had wasted precious time. Instead of leaving the village with everyone to continue their journey, they had stayed in the village and endured the crazy weather.

But that wasn't the only thing that had kept them there. Eventually everyone had figured Kagome and he had had a tremendous fight and Kagome wasn't going to be back. They had all lectured his ears off, until he had threatened them away with Tetsuaiga. Sango and Miroku had looked ready to take him on, but Kaede had stopped them. He was still irritated at what the old bag had said.

"Inuyasha is wallowing in his own guilt right now. It would be pointless to fight or argue with him while he's in this state. Let us go. This is something he must deal with on his own."

Stupid ba-ba. He lifted himself off he floor and looked down into the well. The rain kept pouring down on him and falling into the well. Instead of being overflowed with water, it was still empty. Almost like it was taunting him to go back and fetch her.

Blame it on the rain, yeah, yeah

Blame it on the rain, yeah, yeah

Blame it on the rain, yeah, yeah

It'd been a whole month. He'd had plenty of time to leave, to do anything to forget about her and to go on. But he hadn't. He hadn't left, hadn't forgot about her, hadn't done anything. All he'd done was mope around wanting her back and arguing with himself over it.

Why did he keep fighting himself? Why not just accept it? If he didn't… he'd go crazy! All he had to do was… was… DON'T THINK ABOUT IT, MORON!!! Just go with it! You've always relied on your instincts! What do they tell you to do now?! You'll stand here forever missing her if you don't DO SOMETHING!!!

"CHIKUSHO!!!" Inuyasha yelled at the gray wet sky.


You can blame it on the rain, blame it on the rain,
blame it on the rain, baby

Inuyasha couldn't believe it. What rotten luck. He stood in front of the Bone Eater's Well in Kagome's home. Rain came down in torrents.

Guess both worlds were reflecting his mood, huh?

Inuyasha took a deep sniff and shook his head turning away from the house. Kagome wasn't there. He'd given in and came… But she wasn't even here. "Shit…"

"Inuyasha-kun?"

He turned at the sound of his name and saw Kagome's mother coming up the stairs of the shrine. She was holding something that was covering her from the rain. She blinked at him for a minute and then smiled. Inuyasha turned his gaze away from her.

He shouldn't have come.

"Thank goodness, Inuyasha-kun. I'm so glad you came. I don't know what kind of fight you and Kagome-chan had, but… Kagome-chan… Well, she has been a wreck since she came home a month ago. I'm so glad you came. Kagome-chan will be so happy to see you."

Inuyasha turned to her quickly, surprised. "But… Kagome isn't here…"

Her mother smiled. "She went out with Yuka, Eri, and Harumi. They went to the movie theater. They should have gotten out by now and are on their way home. Go find her Inuyasha-kun." He gave him an encouraging nod. "She's really missed you."


Blame it on the rain, yeah, yeah
Blame it on the stars that did shine that night
Blame it on the rain, yeah, yeah
Blame it, blame it on the rain

Inuyasha nodded and rushed off in the rain. Kagome…

He jumped from tree to tree, ran through people, splashing everyone when he landed in a puddle and just kept going, trying to sniff Kagome out. There were so many people, but he just had to find her. He had to tell her… He felt… He was…

Whatever you do don't put the blame on you
Blame it on the rain, yeah, yeah

He caught her scent as he was running through a park. He skidded to a halt and headed in the direction of her scent. Kagome… Anticipation seared through him. He had really missed her after all. He really, really had. He ran faster through the rain. Suddenly he saw her out of the corner of his eye, walking with three other girls. He turned and ran. He slid to stop a few feet before them.

Inuyasha looked at the floor for a moment before slowly lifting his head. He stared at Kagome's surprised expression through his drenched white hair. She looked pretty. She was wearing a strange blue kimono that only went to her knees. She wore big black shoes he vaguely remembered her calling boots that went up to her knees. She wore a thing she called a `jacket' if he remembered right. And she was carrying the same thing her mother was that had protected her from the rain.

She looked pretty, surprised… but also sad. Her eyes were bloodshot. Like she'd been crying a lot for a long time.

Gotta blame it on something
Gotta blame it on something

"Inuyasha…?" he heard her whisper.

He straightened a bit and began to walk toward her. He heard the girls behind her gasp, but he ignored them. He didn't even see them. He only saw Kagome. His loneliness came crashing down on him. He'd missed her so much. For a whole month, a whole month of stupidity, he'd given himself such heartache and made her cry so much.

Should've told her I was sorry. Should've told her I was wrong. Then she would've been with me. I want her back. I didn't mean it, Kagome. I didn't. I'm sorry… Inuyasha realized he was half in a daze, but he didn't really care. He reached out his arms to her. Please, Kagome… I missed you so much. I'm sorry…

"Kagome…"

He saw tears slide from her eyes and his heart hurt again. Am I making her cry again? No… I don't want to do that! He slowly lowered his arms.

Suddenly, Kagome tossed her rain-shield away and began to run toward him. The rain fell down on her and she threw herself at him. Inuyasha caught her and held her to him. He could hear her crying on his shoulder, her arms wrapped tightly around him, her fingers clutching at his back and his hair.

"Inuyasha… You idiot…"

Inuyasha held her tight as the rain continued to pour down on them.

Blame it on the rain that was falling, falling

Then the rain suddenly stopped. Inuyasha opened his eyes slowly and looked up. The clouds had parted again and the stars were shining down on them. Kagome was still crying against him, hugging him.


Blame it on the stars that did shine at night

Inuyasha closed his eyes again and buried his face against her wet hair. He inhaled her sweet, gentle scent and peace finally returned to his troubled spirit. The terrible month seemed to seep away into nothingness as he held her. The words flowed from his lips without him thinking about it. Right now, he didn't want to think. He just wanted to feel.

"Kagome…? I'm sorry…"


Whatever you do don't put the blame on you

"Inuyasha," she whispered against him. He hugged her closer. He wanted to stay like this for a while longer. He'd been cold the whole month because of the rain. Now he was finally warm again. On the inside.

Blame it on the rain, yeah, yeah

The End