InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Bleeding Heart ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Bleeding Hearts
Kodiaq Kitten
Chapter 1

Thoroughly exhausted from her ordeal with Kikyo, Kagome rested by the water pool deep in the forest. When healing Kikyo's mortal wounds inflicted by Naraku, Kagome had connected with Kikyo's life force. Thus, Kagome was hit with a flood of memories possessed within Kikyo's soul. The images of Kikyo and Inuyasha's love for each other, their adventures, and Naraku's deception was currently too much for Kagome to bear. She huddle deeper into her knees and tried to block the images from her mind.

Meanwhile, Inuyasha was cursing himself for being tricked by Kikyo's paper doll. Was it Kikyo who resurrected her image through the doll, or was it another hanous plot of Naraku's? He raced towards where he had separated from Kagome and the others.

“Well, the barrier seems to be weakening. I should have it down in another minute or so.” Miroku said to Sango. He was secretly hoping to himself that nothing bad had happened to Kagome after she raced through the barrier after Kikyo's two young assistants.

Inuyasha would kill me if something happened to her” he thought as he put the final sutra on the barrier.

Sango paced back and forth in front of the barrier. She gazed searchingly into the mist on the other side hoping to catch a glimpse of the whereabouts of Kagome. Shippo and Kirara were worried as well. Kagome had been gone such a long time.

“Where is that Inuyasha? If he were here he could cut through the barrier with the Tetsigua.” Shippo muttered angrily. “If he wasn't such a two timer, maybe Kagome wouldn't have ran through the barrier. He's so stupid!” Just then, Shippo felt a hard knock to his head.

“Who you calling stupid Shippo?”

“Inuyasha!!! Your Back..”

“Where's Kagome Shippo?”

Miroku finished with the sutra and the prayer and turned to Inuyasha. “We were approached by Kikyo's Shikigami. They told Kagome that Kikyo was waiting for her beside a waterfall deep in the forest. We were to follow them and they would take us too her. Kagome was slightly ahead of us when we ran into this barrier. It seems Kikyo erected it and only Kagome, because of her spiritual powers, was able to proceed. She did not hear us call her back.”

Damn!” Thought Inuyasha. “This was a trick. You better be okay when I find you Kagome. Nothing bad better have happened to you.”

“Kirara lets go” shouted Sango as the group headed on into the forest in search of Kagome.

***********

Kagome raised her head from her knees and stared into the mist of the small waterfall. “I'm so stupid. All this time I have been infatuated with Inuyasha and I never figured it out. It's been so obvious all along. Inuyasha doesn't actually like me, he is in love with Kikyo and it's her he sees when he looks at me. The first time he tried to kiss me, I barely knew him. He was remembering Kikyo and was picturing her where I sat.”

The wind whispered through trees above and the stars sparkled through the limbs. Fireflies were dancing around the pool. “It really would have been a beautiful night if all this wouldn't have happened.” She thought.

Inuyasha raced on ahead of the others sniffing the air for Kagome's scent. Catching it, he headed in her direction. He came to the edge of a small cliff and looking over he saw Kagome resting by a small water pool. Fireflies danced around her giving her skin a slight glow. “She's alright.” He smiled to himself with relief.

“Any sign of her?” questioned Miroku.

“Yeah, she's up ahead!” answered Inuyasha. With that he headed down a near embankment to be reunited with his dear Kagome.

When he reached the bottom he caught the faint scent of Kikyo. “Oh right,” thought Inuyasha. “Kikyo lured Kagome hear for her help. She must have been seriously wounded after her last fight with Naraku. I thought he had killed her. She managed to escape though and has been waiting for Kagome to be close enough to summon. I wonder if Kagome managed to heal her?”

“Kagome?”

“Inuyasha?” Kagome whispered as she looked up from the falls. 'He came back for me. He didn't leave me after all.'

“Kagome, Is Kikyo.....Is she alive?'' he asked quietly.

'That's it? That's what he was so worried about? I guess I really was naive. He does only care about her.' With her thoughts racing, the flood of Kikyo's memories she had managed to finally block out came rushing back into Kagome's mind.

“Yes.” She spoke quietly, looking towards the ground, her face hidden. 'I can't look at him. If I do, I don't know what will happen. '

Kagome” Inuyasha looked at her and new something was not right. 'Why won't she look at me? Why is she acting so strange?'

She heard him call for her again. She was far to emotional at the moment. Images of Kikyo and Inuyasha embracing kept flashing in front of her eyes. She turned and glared at him with tears staining her cheeks.

Inuyasha took a step back and looked at her in confusion, not knowing what to say or do.

“ It's your fault Inuyasha. It's all your fault. I hate you. I hate you Inuyasha.” She flung the words at him and broke down.

Inuyasha just stood there staring at her in utter confusion. 'My fault? She hates me? Hates?' Her words rang in his ears and stung his heart. He sat down and was simply overcome. He didn't know what he had down that would bring about such words. Kagome had never been cruel or uncaring. Why all of a sudden had she changed and yelled at him in such a matter? He was stunned.

Miroku and Sango stood in silence and watched the two by the pool. They decided to make camp to give the two some space.
********
Later, Inuyasha lay by the fire irritating tapping his finger. Sango approached and sat by him. “You know, Kagome looks really upset and lonely.”

Inuyasha looked towards Kagome who was still sitting by the pond staring into the falls.
“Yeah, so” he answered grumpily.

“Don't you think maybe you should go apologize and try to make her feel better. I've never seen Kagome look so rejected. I'm worried about her.”

“Apologize for what. I haven't done anything wrong. She should apologize to me for biting my head off.”

Sango just shook her head and went to sit back by Miroku. Inuyasha remained angrily tapping his finger. Sango was about to look away when she caught Inuyasha send a glance of longing towards Kagome. 'Ah Ha! So he is worried about her. He's such a softy that tries way too hard. Come on Inuyasha. Go to Her. '

Suddenly Kagome stood up and walked towards the group. Inuyasha was staring at her, but she did not give him a second glance as she walked right past him. Inuyasha was dumbfounded as he stared after her.

“I'm going down to bath in the hot springs which are just a little further in the forest. Will you pass me my bag Sango?” she whispered quietly.

“Ah Sure Kagome. Do you want me to come with you?” Sango asked. Not sure of what kind of a response she was going to get.

Kagome smiled a tired, weary smile for her. “Thanks, but I'll be alright Sango. I won't be to long.”

With that she slung her back pack over her shoulder and headed towards the hot springs. As she walked slowly along the path she thought about what had transpired at the camp just awhile before. 'Did I really tell him I hated him? Gosh I've never yelled at someone like that before. Serves him right though. I guess he didn't care about me after all. He probably followed Kikyo's scent here and not mine.' Eventually, Kagome found herself standing in front of the hot springs. ' I didn't come hear to bath did I. I just wanted to get away from there. Maybe I'll just keeping walking to stretch my legs. The fresh air might make me feel better.'

Kagome knew she was lying to herself. She had no intention of returning to Inuyasha. As soon as she realized that she began to walk faster. She soon found herself running as fast as she could away from the group. She headed back towards the well, back towards her own world.
***********

“Kagome's been gone for quite some time now, maybe I better go check on her” Sango announced to the others. She wasn't waiting for a response for them as she gathered her weapon.

“You know Inuyasha, Something must of happened between Kikyo and Kagome. I'm not sure just what, but it has sure put Kagome in a foul mood.”Miroku watched Sango as she headed off in the direction of the Hot Springs. He then glanced towards Inuyasha who was still stubbornly glaring off at the falls.

“Yeah I know” Inuyasha finally relented. “I'm still trying to figure that one out..... Did you see the way she looked at me Miroku?”

“I'm sure she was just emotional Inuyasha and didn't actually mean what she said to you! Kagome cares about you a great deal”

“Yeah, I guess. It still hurts though, I never thought I would ever hear her tell me that she hated me. Are women always this irrational?”

With that comment Miroku just laughed. “ You have much to learn about women Inuyasha!”

Meanwhile Sango was just approaching the hot springs. Once she got there, she glanced around the pools for Kagome. There was no sign of her. Sango ran around the pools searching for Kagome's bag in case Kagome had recently got out of the springs. No bag was visible either. 'Something is very wrong here. I must go get Inuyasha.' With that thought she hurried back to camp to tell Inuyasha that Kagome was missing.

***********
Kagome was nearly exhausted when she final came to a stop along a well traveled road. She decided to rest beside a large boulder which offered some protection as a hiding spot. She was just nicely settling in when the wind began to pick up. 'I can feel the sacred jewel shards. Oh no, something is coming this way. '

“Hello Kagome!”

“Kouga. I'm so glad that its you!” Kagome smiled as she looked up at her friend.

Kouga. knelt down and grasped her hands. “It has been awhile my dear Kagome, I hope all is well.” He held on longer and suddenly began to look around. 'What's this, no mutt face trying to break us up?What's going on?'

“Are you ok Kagome? Where are the others?” he asked.

“I have a favor to ask you Kouga. And I would rather not talk about the others. By the way how did you find me?” Kagome asked.

“Well I was still searching for Naraku when I caught a whiff of your scent in the air. I decided I would stop by to see how you were. What favor do you have?”

“I was wondering if you could take me back to the well near Kaede's Village. I need to get home and fast.”

“Sure Kagome. I haven't been able to locate Naraku's scent for a while. Maybe a break is just what I need.” Kouga. smiled as he helped Kagome onto her feet. He knelt down and she climbed onto his back. In a whirlwind instant they were off in the direction of the old well.

*********

“What do you mean she's not there? She has to be!” Inuyasha shouted. Sango turned to watch Miroku as he quickly put out the fire and gathered the rest of their meager belongings.

'Kagome, where have you gone. You had better be safe! Why are you so angry at me? What did Kikyo do to you? What did I do to you?'

“Why did you have to go and make her all angry?” Shippo yelled at Inuyasha.

“Why you....” Inuyasha growled back at Shippo, his arm raised ready to thump the fox child. “Aaughh, I don't have time for this, I have to find Kagome.”

With his nose in the air, the half demon raced off towards Kagome's scent.

Kouga. slowed as he approached Kaede's village.' Something is not right with Kagome. She's usually so cheerful and talkative. She's barely said more than three words the whole trip. I bet that idiot mutt face had something to do with this. How dare he make my dear Kagome upset.' He thought as he entered the woods that lead to the bone eaters well.

“Well here we are Kagome. A speedy trip to your passage back to your world.” Kouga. stated in a proud manner. Setting her down off of his back he turned and clasped her hands once more. “How I have missed your sweet smile. I hope whatever important event that you are racing home for won't keep you long.”

“Oh, its just some family matters Kouga. Nothing too stressful. I'm sure it won't take me too long.” She offered up a weak smile.

“You know Kagome, I would never hurt your feelings like that dumb dog Inuyasha. If you want I could bash his head in for you.” He grinned as he noticed the first surprised look on Kagome's face with this statement.

“I don't know what your talking about Kouga. Everything's fine with Inuyasha and the others.” Kagome again stated with that weak smile. “Anyway, I better get going. See ya Kouga. and thanks for the lift.” With that she jumped into the well and disappeared back into her own world.

'Stupid Inuyasha. I think I'll just hang around here until that dumb dog finds his way to the well. When he gets here I'm gonna give him a piece of my mind. I've never seen Kagome look so depressed and I'm almost certain of who's to blame. 'And with those thoughts, Kouga. sat down beside the well to await the arrive of the dog demon.
*******
Inuyasha reached the roadway where Kagome had stopped to rest. 'Kagome's scent is strong here. What's this??? I smell the stench of a wolf. Kouga.!!!! That Skinny wolf better not be up to anything. At least I know that she has some form of protection. If that wolf lays one hand on her.......'

Following the scent of the priestess and the wolf demon, Inuyasha finds himself heading back in the direction of the well near Kaede's village.

Kagome unpacked her bag on her bed. First taking out the text books that she so often took with her.' I don't know why I bother taking these books with me. It's not like I ever really get a chance to use them. And they are so heavy to pack. Oh well, I guess I don't have to worry about that anymore.' She continued unpacking and came across the small digital camera she had recently began carrying with her. Casually flipping through the photos she smiled sadly to herself.' Inuyasha, you fool. I wonder if he will even bother to come after me? If he doesn't I guess it was foolish for me to seal the well temporarily. I'm glad Kaede has been helping me with my spiritual powers. Oh how I am going to miss her and the others. 'She came across a group photo of Sango, Miroku, Shippo, and Kirara. Tears pooled in her soft brown eyes as she set the camera on her desk.' No use in getting all teary eyed. I need to get some rest before school starts on Monday. A long hot bath will help and then off to bed with me. '

Inuyasha slowed his pace as he came close to the well. It was dark now and the rest of the group and stayed at Kaede's village. A figure was resting at the foot of the well. Hope swelled inside of Inuyasha's chest.

“Ka...go...me?” he said.

“Haaa. You wish mutt face.” A familiar voice replied.

“Kouga.!! Where's Kagome you scrawny wolf. I caught the scent of your stench way back at the road.” Inuyasha growled.

“She's gone back to her world. She was pretty upset when I found her along the road. Good thing she was unharmed mutt face. What were you thinking letting her run off by herself. She could have been seriously hurt. If you can't seem to get it right I think I'll have to step in and protect Kagome myself.” Kouga. boasted to the now seriously angered half-demon.

“Why you......” Inuyasha fumed.

Kouga. chuckled to himself...Fool, you are so predictable. “So mutt face, what did you do this time.” he remarked casually as he leaned against the walls of the well.

“What? I...I....” Inuyasha stuttered. 'Why is he acting like this.? He should be tearing a strip off me right now. I don't get it. '

Look idiot. I have been sitting here for quite a while thinking about this whole situation. I have come to the conclusion that although I love Kagome very much, it is quite clear who she favors.” Kouga. grinned at the now stunned half-demon. “But just because she doesn't return my feelings does not mean that I am going to stand idly by while some idiot tramples all over her heart. So what ever cruel thing you did to make her look so depressed and rejected, you had better hurry up an fix. Or I promise you mutt face, that I will break every bone in your stinken body. You got that dog boy???” His eyes flashed with rage, daring the dog before him to call his bluff.

“Ah....yeah... I guess. Wait a minute....Who the hell do you think you are?” Inuyasha, visible embarrassed and now fuming, screamed.

“Whatever dog boy, just make her happy. Don't ever make her cry again. You got that.”Kouga. replied. He turned with a quick look of disapproval before disappearing in a whirlwind of dust.

Inuyasha simply grunted and jumped into the well. He hit the bottom with a thud.' Somethings not right. There was no blue light. I don't smell all those strange smells like I normally do when I reach Kagome's world. 'Jumping out of the well, Inuyasha was stunned to still see the forest of his world surrounding him all around him. 'Kagome, please don't do this. Don't lock me out, not now.'
***********

The early morning sun rose quietly above the horizon, coating the land with a warm soft glow. Kagome stirred in her bed as her alarm clock sounded off. It signaled the start of a new day, and perhaps a new beginning for the young girl.

Kagome opened her eyes and let out a huge yawn as she struggled to emerge from the covers. Sitting up and stretching she glanced out the window to watch the early morning rays greet her.

Well, I guess I had best just stop moping and get ready for school. It might be nice to get back into a normal girls routine. This past year and a half has been nuts. I barely passed last year and this year has been shaping up much the same. Hitting the books full time will definitely help my grades.” she thought to herself yawning again. With her thoughts focused on a new beginning, Kagome struck a determined look and clapped her hands in front of her.

“Alright...Lets do this.” She spoke to herself. Leaving it on that note she headed off in the direction of the bathroom to get ready for school.

Inuyasha had spent the whole night trying to break through the well. He had repeatedly jumped in and out, dug a hole, beat the walls, all in desperation and all for nothing. Nothing he had tried had allowed him entrance to her world. He had then spent the morning perched in his favorite tree pondering the matter.

Why would she seal the well? Why lock me out? Something pretty bad must have happened at the falls...but she looked unharmed? Kikyo obviously didn't try and kill her like she had the time before. What exactly did happen then? It just doesn't make any sense. maybe Kaede will know.” He bounded down from his sanctuary in search of the old priestess and her words of wisdom.

Kagome sighed as she approached the front gates of her school. She knew that once her friends tracked her down she would have to tell them something related to why she was back. She knew that they would be glad to have her back full time again. She kept glancing around awaiting the three girls squeals. She wasn't kept waiting long, as she climbed the steps that entered the school the first squeal sounded.

“Kagome..is that really you.? Are you back for awhile? Are you feeling better?” Yuka shouted to her as she ran across the courtyard towards Kagome. Eri and Ayumi were close behind.

“Kagome, do you think it is wise to be back at school so soon. I mean, are you really feeling better from you last hemophiliac attack? What happens is you get hit or something. You could hemorrhage and that would be the end for you!” Ayumi asked her friend, all the while looking deeply concerned.

“What???!!!!” Kagome shouted. She looked defeated and just shook her head. “ Listen you guys, my grandfather must be losing his senses. He never knows what I have and just makes up strange illnesses. I really have been battling multiple bouts of a illness something like Mono. It makes me really tired and nauseas, that's all. The doctor has put me on a new prescription and it seems to be working well. Don't worry, I'm feeling fine. Hopefully everything will be back to normal again very soon.” Kagome offered a huge smile before continuing towards the classroom. “I hope they buy that excuse. It will be easier to keep than all those insane illnesses grandpa keeps telling everyone. Besides now that I'm not going back to Inuyasha's world, I won't be needing any excuses as to why I'm not at school.” she thought to herself.

“Did you see that smile Eri?” Yuki asked her friend. “She is sooo putting on a front about something. I bet you it's that two-timing bad ass boyfriend of hers. He's probably been being a real jerk again.”

“Mmmhmm. Do you think we should ask her about it?” Eri replied.

Ayumi jumped in defending her dear friend Kagome. “Now you guys, lets just wait until after school. We don't want poor Kagome stressing out all day now do we?”

The three nodded in agreement and followed their depressed friend into their first class.

*********

“Mmmmmm I see Inuyasha. You mean to tell me that ye found Lady Kagome at the falls and sister Kikyo was gone.” Kaede questioned Inuyasha as she tended to her herb garden.

“Yeah, Kagome looked so depressed and out of it. I don't understand. If she saved Kikyo I would have thought she had been happy?” Inuyasha sat cross legged on the ground beside the old priestess, a puzzled look upon his face.

“And ye say that the Bone Eaters well has been sealed to ye? Interesting.” Kaede continued as she pulled a weed from around a small herb that was struggling to live.

“Feh, interesting! This is a big problem Kaede, not a fun little story for you.” Inuyasha spoke in defense.

“Now Now Inuyasha. I believe that perhaps young Kagome had to make a spiritual connection with sister Kikyo in order to close the wound left by Naraku. Such a task would have required her utmost concentration and above all a pure heart. Me thinks that her connection with Kikyo during the healing, bonded the two souls once more. If this had occurred Kagome would have been able to see into the heart of sister Kikyo.” Kaede paused as she stood up to move to the next row of herbs. Upon settling herself to begin weeding the next section she continued. “It is possible Inuyasha, that Kagome witnessed you past history with my sister.”

“What, you mean Kagome saw Kikyo and I?” Inuyasha now looked a little desperate and embarrassed. Sweat began to collect on his brow as he thought about what Kagome could have seen. He tried to remember ever detail from some fifty years before. “Kagome saw us together.... I mean Kikyo and I...I mean....What exactly did she see?”

“It is possible Inuyasha that young Kagome is upset about the visions Kikyo's heart revealed.” Kaede paused again to watch the young demon before her. He was looking very nervous and she could tell he was trying to determine if there would have been any really disturbing moments in his past for Kagome to witness. Kaede smiled as she thought about how the young demon had changed, but her smile faded as she thought of the young girl who had changed the demon. The young girl who must have had her heart broken witnessing the visions of Kikyo and Inuyasha's former life together. It hadn't helped matters that her sister had seen it as a mission to keep the two young lovers apart. Kikyo yearned to return to the way things had been, but what she yearned for could never happen. She wished that her sister could return to the world of the dead and finally rest in peace. She turned her thoughts back to the matter at hand.

“As for the well Inuyasha, I suspect young Kagome has sealed the well to keep some distance between the two of ye. I have spent the last year teaching Kagome about her spiritual powers whenever ye be staying at the village. I taught her the power of seals, but as far as I know, Kagome has only been able to master temporary seals. She has not been able to master even half of her spiritual powers as of yet, so ye may still be able to reach her world Inuyasha.” Kaede turned her full attention to the half demon he sat beside her. Doing so, she was able to watch the look of sadness leave his face to be replaced by a look of hopefulness and determination.
*********

Kagome, Ayumi, Yuki, and Eri made their way to their favorite hang out spot after their final class of the day. After ordering a hefty tray of single cheeseburgers and some very thick milkshakes, the group settled in a corner booth looking out onto the busy street.

“So Kagome, what did your two-timing boyfriend do this time?” Yuki blurted out shortly after they all had settled into the booth. She was no longer able to contain her curiosity.

“Ya Kagome, what has that bad ass done this time?” Eri chirped in to aid with Yuki's interrogation.

Ayumi watched worriedly as Kagome just sat their, head down, slurping her milkshake.

Kagome finally spoke, although she never raised her head and her face was covered by the shadow of her hair. Her voice wavered as she spoke, “There is no more bad ass boyfriend. I broke up with him. I never want to see him again. He can have that other girl.. See if I care.” A single tear trailed down her cheek to fall delicately on the unwrapped cheeseburger in front of her.

“Kagome.” Ayumi said quietly, ignoring the shocked look on Yuki and Eri's face. She gave the two a dirty look as she scooted over beside Kagome to wrap her friend in a comforting embrace. “It's gonna be okay Kagome, well help you get through this. Won't we girls.” she announced looking again at the overly inquisitive pair across the table.

Yuki and Eri now looked deeply concerned for their dear friend. “We're sorry Kagome, we thought it was just another minor fight. We would have never been so pushy if we had known. Ayumi's right though Kagome, we'll help you through this no matter what!” Yuki was determined to make it up to Kagome and help her through this trying time.

“Thanks you guys. Do you mind if I just go home. I think I need some rest. How bout we do this another day?” Kagome asked.

“Sure Kags. We'll walk you home.”
The group departed in silence and headed towards the shrine high on the hill.

Kagome lay on her bed staring up at the ceiling. Buyo snuggled in closely to her hip and with one yawn fell into a nice slumber. Petting the fat feline, she let her mind wander back to the incident at the waterfall.

“Had Kikyo and Inuyasha's love been as strong as the images I had seen? No doubt idiot! Of course they were deeply in love. I saw how they embraced long ago, I saw how they looked at each other, and worse yet I felt Kikyo's feelings as if it was me Inuyasha embraced so long ago. All the memories in Kikyo's heart were for some reason transferred to me as I concentrated on healing the gap in her chest.” She thought to herself as she absentmindedly stroked the purring cat at her side. “I've been so foolish for so long thinking that Inuyasha could move on and love me. How could he ever love me. Never would he be able to with Kikyo around. I've been so stupid.”

She rolled onto her side and embraced her pillow. Buyo was pushed from the bed by the sudden movement, and being half asleep the poor feline was unable to land on his feet, rather only managing an ungraceful headstand.

Tears pooled in her eyes and slowly trailed down her face, creating a wet spot on the pillow she hugged so dearly. “I must have been such a burden to him all this time. A constant reminder of the love he lost. How very selfish I have been. If I had clued in sooner I could have spared him such suffering. And to believe that I had the nerve to accuse him every time he went to her. How horrible of me. Inuyasha has never cared for me on bit. He just needed me to find the shards. I guess it was my duty though, since I managed to break the jewel. Maybe with me gone, Kikyo and Inuyasha can reunite and they will finish the job together.”

“ Oh Inuyasha, I'm such a fool. If only I hadn't fallen in love with you......things might have been different. I can't blame Kikyo for the situation, especially not now that I have seen what their past was like. No wonder she wants to take Inuyasha to hell with her. I may not like it, or want it, but she has more right to Inuyasha then I ever will. I just hope that I can forget Inuyasha.”
Kagome's pillow was a wet mess by now and the girls eyes were circled red from the rush of tears that flowed from them.

Forget Inuyasha? I don't ....want to..... forget him......I.. can't... forget... him.” Kagome shut her tear filled eyes and slowly drifted to sleep.
*********
“So how will I know when the seal is weakening ya old hag?” Inuyasha was getting impatient knowing that there was a way to reach Kagome and he still didn't know how.

“Inuyasha, ye must be patient. Kagome herself probably has no idea on how long the seal will hold. I have no way of knowing myself really. Your only option is to keep trying the well every so often.” Kaede spoke as she stirred the pot of stew that hung over the fire in her small hut.

“You should just go keep trying Inuyasha. Kagome has to come to us.” A teary eyed shippo begged his friend.

“I'm going to get her back Shippo. Don't worry, I promise you she'll be back.” Inuyasha offered a kind worried to the little kitsun. He himself was not so reassured at his bold declaration. Without any more words, he turned to leave the small hut.

“I'm going with you.” the determined fox demon stated as he hurried towards the door.

“Alright Shippo, lets go.”

Shippo remained staring into the well all through the night and the entire next day. It was getting close to dusk when he saw Inuyasha returning. The dog demon looked to have some fish draped over his shoulder and a bundle of wood under one arm.

“Hey Shippo, why don't you start a fire and cook up these fish. Kagome would have my hide if I let you starve while she was away.” Inuyasha flung the fish to the ground and dropped the wood beside the pairs make shift fire place. “Any sign of change from the well?”

“No, but I have kept my eye on it all the time you were gone.” Shippo looked proudly at Inuyasha before using his foxfire to start the fire for their evening meal.

“Thanks Shippo.”