InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Blood Promises of Old ❯ Chapter Six ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~)O(~ Blood Promises of Old~)O(~

Written by: £ady ßan§hee 999 © 2003-2004

~ Published 9/7/03 ~

~ Updated 8/3/04 ~

~)O(~

Disclaimer : ... yeah, as if.

~)O(~

"Beware, when in search of answers,
be sure of what you want.
The answers in which you find,
the knowledge that is gained,
May come at to heavy a price..."

~ Excerpt from
'The Price of Knowledge'
by L.E. Birch ~

~)O(~

Previously:

' "No, there wasn't. It is a terrible thing to watch your `mate' pass away. But I am grateful for the time we did have together and for the ability to say good-bye when the time came. He was a good man, a loving father and husband who lived life to the fullest even though he didn't get a full life to live. But there is nothing we can do about it except to remember the good times and keep him in our hearts." Hearing Kagome getting out of the shower she says, "Well, anyways, what time is everyone meeting?"

"Everyone is supposed to meet here at 6:30 to go get something to eat first."

Nodding she replies, "That sounds good. Go on and get ready. I am sure you want a shower and I have to get ready to start dinner soon." '

~ )0( ~

Chapter 6 ~ Hiding in Plain Sight…

Inuyasha heads upstairs after the conversation with Mrs. Higurashi. Seeing Kagome's outfit on the bed he blushes. 'Is she really going to wear that?' As he is grabbing his outfit from the room she walks in wrapped up in a towel. "Ok, shower is all yours," she says while sitting down at the desk to try to dry out her hair. Inuyasha looks over at her wrapped in nothing more then a towel. Mental images enter his mind and he blushes more so he quickly turns and walks out of the room deciding that a cold shower is exactly what he needs right now.

After Kagome dressed, as she looks at herself in the mirror, she decides that she doesn't mind the outfit as much as she thought she would. Giggling she even thinks that even though with everything they are going through, going to this club with him will be fun. Not that she would admit it to a certain gruff hanyou.

"Oi, what's so funny?"

Turning around she sees him in his jeans but without his shirt on, as he is using the towel to dry his hair. He isn't looking at her cause of the towel being over his head. Her breath catches in her throat at the sight. 'Kami, he is a sight. Oh, no… I'm blushing.' She turns away quickly and sees herself in the mirror. Realizing that he asked a question she answers, "I really should of thought out my outfit more. This isn't exactly what one wears into battle."

Having heard her heartbeat spike he had taken the towel off his head. Seeing her looking at herself in the mirror he looks at her outfit. The fake leather shorts are cut very low on the hip and very high on the leg and the green shirt doesn't even attempt to cover her belly. "I see your point he says." He has watched T.V. enough times to know it is not unusual for people to show off that much skin.

She says with a laugh, "You know it is a good thing Miroku isn't here. Or else I don't think I could wear this safely."

Suddenly noticing something hanging off of the small silver chain around her waist he walks up behind her. Turning her around her he grabs the hanging charm. "Oi, what's this? It didn't come with the silver cord when you bought it." Looking down at it he realizes it is a silver dog.

Giggling nervously she replied, "Well, I thought a charm would be perfect. I couldn't find one I liked until I spotted this silver inu charm." Turning her head with a slight nervous look she adds, "The silver reminded me of the color of your hair, and the fact that it was an inu charm, well I figured it was appropriate."

He snorts, "figures. But I like it anyways." Releasing the charm he asks, "Are you sure you want to wear that?"

She turns around again to look at herself. Cocking her head she looks at him in the mirror, "what's wrong with it? Don't I look alright?"

Smirking he answers, "I just don't want anyone to get any ideas."

Puzzled she turns her head over her shoulders, "about what?"

Stepping forward he puts his arms around her bare waist and smells her scent spike along with her heart rate. He pulls her up against his bare chest and leans down towards her ear. "You are mine Kagome. You are our pack's lead female, and I will not let anyone take you away from our pack. Or from me."

He leans further down and nuzzles her at the base of her neck as she gasps, and leans back into him more. "Inu… ya… sha…," she barely whispers out.

Smiling into her neck he continues to nuzzle her while scraping his fangs along her neck lightly, 'you may not be my mate yet, but my intended claim is now on you. No youkai will be able to miss that. Now I just have to focus on the humans.'

Lifting his head slightly he inhales her scent. Smelling his scent on her he smirks and kisses her check. "Come on, we have to finish getting ready. Your friends will be here soon."

Sighing she nods, "Hai, you are right." Slowly pulling away from him she groans, "Ugh, I don't have any shoes to go with this outfit." Grabbing her phone she calls Yuka who tells her not to worry about it, and that she has it covered.

Helping him dry his hair she has him sit down at the desk. "I think you should leave your hair unbound tonight," she says as she brushes it out. After finishing she reaches up to scratch an ear, "I really wish we didn't have to cover these up though."

A voice comes from her doorway, "I wouldn't. They're to adorable to cover up."

Turning around Kagome sees Yuka standing there dressed in leather pants and a black shirt that has no back but has ties holding it together, "Oi, you didn't have to come right over you know."

Yuka shrugs her shoulders, "Ah, no big. I figured you and I could do our make-up together. Other then that I am ready to go." She looks over at the hanyou sitting at the desk, "Damn you look good without a shirt on. Talk about eye candy. Kagome girl you have some seriously great taste."

Inuyasha scowls but his angry look is lost in the blush across his face as he puts on his shirt. Kagome on the other hand is biting back a giggle at the flustered looking hanyou. Yuka laughs warmly, "Aw, come on. I know you are a bit of a loner, but you mean to tell me that you don't think you look good? Damn you're one of the cutest guys I have met."

His ears drop a bit as he replies, "I am a hanyou. Hanyou's are not cute."

Yuka looks at Kagome and then back to him, "Your kidding right?" Then turns to Kagome and asks again, "He's kidding right?"

Kagome shook her head while the hanyou scowled which left Yuka to sigh. "Man, if only… What I wouldn't give." Shrugging her shoulders she looked at Kagome, "Well, anyways as I was saying earlier, Inuyasha, don't hide your ears. Hell I bet nobody even says anything bad. Mostly people will be asking where they can get a pair."

Smiling in relieve Kagome replies, "That is good. I hate making him have to wear the hats. It just isn't right."

Scowling the hanyou ads, "Feh, besides it dampens my damn hearing.

Smiling Yuka shakes her head, "Well anyways, Kagome these boots should be perfect with that outfit." She hands her a pair of boots that will go up to about mid-calf length with buckles all the way up. "I also brought my make-up so that we could do it together. I figured you were new to this type of club scene."

"Hai, your right, but I did find some body glitter that matched my shirt. I just couldn't resist," giggled Kagome.

"Good," Yuka replied with a nod. "We can use that too. Oh, by the way do you happen to have an old towel? I forgot mine at home."

Smiling the young miko nods and head out of the room to grab it. As she does Yuka looks over at the hanyou, "I talked to my bro Corwyn and let him know about Hojo. Even though he isn't blood, he still protects me as such, as well as Kagome. Don't worry though he won't get in your way. He is just making sure it will be a fair fight. He and his buddies have dealt with this thing before."

Inuyasha lifts an eyebrow at the term, "his buddies?"

Shrugging the girl doesn't look fazed, "his friends, but don't worry, he trusts them with his dealings. They are all very loyal to him."

Kagome comes back in and hands her the towel. Thanking her Yuka quickly scrubs off her arm. The others watch her as soon a very detailed tattoo is revealed. It goes around her forearm and parts of it almost reach her elbow. Looking at the two she says, "the design came to me one day. I just had it finished a few months ago, but I don't think mom is ready to see it yet."

Kagome goes and takes a closer look. It is a blend of tribal and Celtic designs that have been blended together to almost form a style all its own. "It is beautiful."

"Thanks, I like it." Grabbing her bag she sets it on the desk. "Ok, Kagome sit down. Inuyasha unless you want makeup on too, out." Stopping she scratches her head, "Although guys do wear it in Goth clubs."

Scowling he crosses his arms, giving her a look telling her what he thinks about that idea as he walks out.

Laughing Yuka says, "Aw, Kagome. He is just too cute. Those ears are almost as expressive as his eyes." Sighing she ads, "I have to find me a guy like him."

Smiling Kagome replies, "Good luck. From what I have seen in the past, there aren't many youkai with human forms that are good. Although now that may have changed."

They giggle some and Yuka sets to work on Kagome.

Inuyasha heads downstairs and finds Souta watching television. Souta looks over at him and takes in his clothing. "Gee, Inu-no-niichan, you look cool. Where are you going?"

Scowling he crosses his arms as he sits down on the couch, "We are going to a club that is opening tonight. There are some things we have to check out."

The young boy's eyes grow as he exclaims, "Your mean 'The Basement'? Man you and nee-chan have all the luck."

Raising an eyebrow he looks at him, "How do you know about the club?"

"Heck, it is all over school. Let me know what it's like will you?"

Rolling his eyes her replies, "Feh, we're not going there to have fun kid. It's important."

Souta shrugs, "Yeah, but you could still tell me what it looks like right?"

Shaking his head he sighs, "Yeah, sure kid."

As 6'oclock rolls around the other girls arrive. Inuyasha takes them upstairs and knocks on the door.

A voice from inside the room responds, "Come in."

The three enter the room. Kagome giggles and says, "You guys look great."

Arumi is dressed in a long black flowing skirt and matching top. Eri is done up in a combat style garb complete with boots.

Arumi smiles, "Kagome you look good too. I love the glitter accent."

Kagome blushes, "It was Yuka idea. I was just going to put it on my eyes. But she thought that a bit all over on my skin was a better idea."

Yuka laughs, "Ah, it's a talent."

Inuyasha sits down on the bed. Yuka looks at him, "You sure you won't let me work on you too?"

"Feh, forget it wench!" He scowls and lowers his ears.

This gets a curious looks from both Arumi and Eri as the other two girls laugh. Kagome explains, "Yuka offered to do up Inuyasha and he didn't like the idea."

Arumi and Eri both look at him, and Arumi shakes her head, "I don't blame you Inuyasha."

Eri chuckles a bit, "But I think a bit of eyeliner might make his outfit."

Kagome goes over and sits down next to him. "Don't worry, your safe. They're just teasing you a bit."

Smirking he looks at her, "Oh yeah, by the way, how are you getting out of the house? Or should I say, past your mother?"

Gasping she stands up, "Nani? Oh, no! He's right."

Yuka shakes her head chuckling lightly, "Don't worry girl. I thought about that when I saw the outfit you picked out." Digging into her bag she pulls out a large black wrap. Unfolding it they see it has tassels on each corner. Folding it diagonally she puts it around Kagome's waist, tying the ends on her hip, one side reaches to her knee. "There now you will pass inspection."

Kagome looks at it then Yuka, "Your expertise in this sort of thing is really making me wonder about you, you do know this right?"

Yuka shrugs, "Yeah, well just be glad or else he couldn't come with us." She points at Inuyasha.

Scowling he growls, "Than she wouldn't be going." He crosses his arms, "I am not going to sit by and let her get hurt."

Yuka looks at him then at Kagome, "Yeah, I definitely have to find me one."

This makes Kagome laugh. Seeing Inuyasha's puzzled expression she blushes, "Ahem, anyways lets go on downstairs. Corwyn should be here soon."

As they head downstairs Inuyasha leans over and whispers, "Find one what?"

Kagome giggles, "Let's just say she is a bit jealous."

The hanyou scratches his ear with a clawed hand, "of what?"

Rolling her eyes she shakes her head, "I will explain it to you later."

Going into the kitchen, Kagome grabs them all something to drink. "So where shall we go to dinner?"

Arumi tilts her head, "Well since Inuyasha is the newest member to our group, we should let him decide."

Kagome groans, "Ugh."

Arumi looks at her puzzled, "What's wrong Kagome."

Kagome laughs, "His favorite food is ramen. He eats it all the time."

Inuyasha looks at her, "What's wrong with that?" Which causes the girls to laugh at his reply.

A knock at the door stops any answer. Kagome goes to the door and finds a man with long black hair that has purple highlights in it, wearing a long, black leather trench coat, chatting with her mother.

Mrs. Higurashi smiles, "How have you been Corwyn?"

Bowing his head slightly he smiles, "I have been very good, thank you. I hope you and your family is well."

"Hai, we are."

Kagome smiles as she walks up to him, "Corwyn, long time no see. I thank you for coming tonight."

Corwyn nods his head slightly to the side again as he smiles. His striking purple eyes glittering, "Kagome it has been awhile. You look well." He is wearing a French Renaissance style white shirt with ruffles, and tailored black slacks. His arms are in front of him resting lightly on a walking cane that is topped off with a silver gargoyle. Removing his black Doc Martins he looks at Mrs. Higurashi. "I hope my appearance doesn't startle you. I decided to come dressed for the opening before I left."

The older Higurashi chuckles, "No, not at all. Although I must say, you pull the look off quite well."

Corwyn smirks slightly, "Yes, well I must admit, it is one of my favorite fashions to date."

Mrs. Higurashi bids her goodbyes and Kagome leads him to the kitchen where the others are gathered. Entering Yuka walks over and gives Corwyn a quick hug, "Thanks for coming."

Inuyasha scowls and looks at Kagome, who walks over towards him. Seeing him look at her she wonders what is wrong.

Corwyn looks at Inuyasha and then at Yuka. Placing his cane in front of him, placing both hands on the gargoyle, they notice on his fingers are 3 strange jointed rings and one other strange ring. But what really catch their eye are the fingernails they can see are black in color and styled in a way that they look like half-inch claws. "I believe introductions are in order."

"Oh, yes. Excuse me. Corwyn, meet Kagome's boyfriend Inuyasha, Inuyasha meet my dear friend and adopted big brother, Corwyn. I believe you already know Arumi and Eri Corwyn."

Corwyn tilts his head just slightly in a bow, "Greetings."

Yuka smiles, "I have explained to Corwyn about Hojo and since it is his club I figured he would want to know if there would be trouble."

Kagome sighs, "I am sorry about any trouble this may cause you on your opening night, Corwyn. If it is any problem I will not attend, but I really hope to. We are in need of seeking out someone who will be attending the opening tonight as well."

Corwyn smirks as he waves off her concern. "Don't worry about it. I am well aware of the problem and have seen to the handling of it personally. I did some research on this Hojo person and have come across some shocking details, which may interest you. But we can discuss this over dinner." Tilting his head he continues, "I do recommend though that some, shall we say, protection should be taken though. Just in case."

Eri gasps, "Do you think there will be trouble?"

Corwyn blinks and looks at the girl, "For you, no. But I do believe that Kagome and Inuyasha have other reasons for going other then just to relax."

Inuyasha frowns as his eyes narrow, "Just how the hell do you know about that?"

Corwyn looks over at the hanyou as he raises an eyebrow, "Kagome just said you are looking for someone, and Yuka also said you were having trouble with someone at the shrine. I just put two and two together and assumed that they were related."

Kagome puts a hand on the hanyou's arm, "Hai, you are correct, they are. We are hoping for a peaceful confrontation. Besides, it wouldn't be easy for us to take any sort of precaution with us. Or at least the sort of protection we are use to."

Corwyn nods, "Indeed. If I may, Inuyasha was it, I assume you have something you would wish to take no?"

Kagome's eyes widen, "You would let us take a weapon to your club?"

At the question the man blinks slowly and shrugs, "Who am I to begrudge someone a means to protect themselves or someone in their care."

Inuyasha continues to scowl. 'I don't trust him. He seems to know more then he is letting on.' Looking down at Kagome she nods to him. Inuyasha looks back at him and his ears lower in anger. "Alright, I have a sword I really don't want to leave here. I would rather it be at my side."

Corwyn's eyebrow arches again, "I thought you might. I might just have something to help you with that."

Yuka looks at Corwyn curious about the whole exchange. "How so?"

Looking at the young girl he smiles, "It is a simple thing to hide a sword if one is wearing a leather trench coat. I have found you can hide a great many things in them." Looking back at the hanyou he continues, "I believe some items in the trunk of my car that may be of benefit to both of you."

Eri who has been staring at Corwyn the entire time smiles, "I have to say, I like your clothes."

At this the man's lips barely twitch in a smile and bows slightly, "I thank you for the compliment."

Arumi looks at her watch, "It is getting late. Well, we might want to head out to eat."

Corwyn nods, "Indeed. I hope you don't mind. I took the liberty in getting a limo for you. I wish to make sure you arrive to the club safely." Lifting the cane in one hand he motions to Yuka, "After you milady."

Rolling her eyes she giggles, "Corwyn you really are to funny sometimes." But she heads out and the others soon follow. After Inuyasha makes a quick stop back upstairs to gather up his sword.

Once outside they head down the shrine steps and see a '70 Mustang that is an odd green with black vinyl top in front of a stretch limo. Corwyn quickly explains, "I must leave before the club opens to see to the opening. The limo will take you directly to the club once you are done with dinner."

Yuka grins, "I see you finished 'Marvin'. It looks great."

Corwyn's eyes glittered with pride, "Yeah, finished it over the winter. Of course now that I am done with this one, of course I needed another project car."

Yuka groaned, "Let me guess, another American muscle car?"

At this he snickered lightly and just shrugged, "Ah, what can I say."?

Pulling out a little controller he pushes a button and the trunk lid pops open on the mustang. Reaching in he pulls out a simple large black leather trench coat and hands it to Inuyasha. "If you look inside the coat you will find a leather strap to attach your sword. That way if you remove your coat, you can do so without showing your sword."

Kagome smiles as watches Inuyasha put on the coat and attach the sword, "That is really a neat idea."

He smirks slightly, "It is an idea that I created. I have found it very useful at times." Looking back into his trunk he pulls out a small curved wooden staff and hands it to Kagome. She sees that it just reaches to her waist. "Here, I do believe this will be invaluable for you in this time." Looking intensely at her he continues, "A miko without her bow and going into a potential battle situation is never a good thing. This is a bow that looks like a simple curved cane."

She lifts it up staring at it, before she turns to look at him, "How do you know I am a miko?"

Yuka chuckles, "Um, I am afraid that is my fault. I told him about your training when he asked what you have been up to."

Corwyn shrugs off the explanation, "Consider it an early graduation gift. Becoming a miko is a honorable profession."

She looks at the bow again, "Ano, how do I use it?"

He explains, "It uses your own energy to create a string when you need it. Merely position it as if you would a normal bow and draw it back. Your miko energy will create the arrow instead of having to use one. Concealment of the truth this day and age is the key to survival."

Yuka sighs, "All this cloak and dagger stuff is really interesting. All I brought was my normal dagger. What I wouldn't give for a special weapon."

Arumi chuckles, "I wouldn't know what to do with any of them even if I had them."

Inuyasha watches as Kagome focuses her miko powers on the bow and draws the string back that has appeared. Seeing an arrow suddenly appear made just from her energy is slightly startling. The other girls gasp as they too watch. Smiling Kagome slowly draws her energy back and the arrow vanishes. Looking at Corwyn she grins, "Thank you very much. I will cherish this. I must admit I am quite honored to be given such a gift."

Inuyasha's eyes narrow, "Why are you doing this?"

Kagome gasps and turns to look at him, "Inuyasha!"

Corwyn merely waves her off, "No, Kagome. It is quite all right. I understand his concern and agree with the reasoning behind his question." Looking at him he continues, "I have known Kagome for some time. I merely wish to make sure she is properly prepared. I believe this item would do well in her service. It was commissioned some time ago for the express purpose in which she will use it. I realized that it would become invaluable to her in this time, where one can not wander the streets caring a bow and arrow without attention."

Kagome bowed, "Thank you Corwyn."

"I hope it serves you well." Closing his trunk he walks over to the driver-side door and hits another button on his little controller, which causes it to pop open. "Well, where to for dinner?"

Arumi speaks up, "How about the steakhouse by the club?"

The other girls nod in agreement and they head into the limo to follow Corwyn in his vehicle making small talk. Kagome snuggled up to Inuyasha even though he was quite through most of the trip. Kagome noticed this and asked if he was all right. Nodding he asked to see the cane. Looking it over he doesn't see anything funny with it and hands it back. Kagome smiles as she speaks low enough for only him to hear, "I know you don't like me getting gifts from other guys, but I think this is actually something that can benefit us both."

"Hump"

She just sighs and snuggles up to him, "Don't worry about it Inuyasha. I am only interested in you."

Wrapping his arms around her shoulders he just replies, "Feh, I still don't trust him."

The miko giggles, "My protector, always on guard to watch over me."

Kissing her temple he smirks, "Always."

Yuka glances back at them and sighs, "Yeah, I so gotta find me one."

Arumi and Eri both start laughing.

~)O(~

Once at the table they order drinks and decide what to eat. Kagome explains a bit of the items to Inuyasha. After everyone but Corwyn orders their food and the drinks are served, Corwyn soon tells them what he has found when he investigated Hojo.

"The boy has connections. Nothing major but he is trying to work his way up. He is part of a gang called the Dark Claw. They are mixed in with nasty things and cause some trouble. I have had my eye on a lot of the smaller gangs lately as they are the ones causing the most problems. The Dark Claw is ruled by a scorpion youkai, but most of their members don't know that."

Inuyasha scowls, "How the hell did you find that out? And why are you keeping tabs?" Narrowing his eyes he growls slightly, "And how do you know about youkai?"

Corwyn smirks at him, his eyes looking deadly. He rose an eyebrow as he speaks, "you're kidding right?" Seeing the hanyou get more agitated he just shrugs it off, "Listen someone has to. You may not realize this but there is much going on in the underworld and evil can easily hide in it. And there are those who are part of the underworld who try to keep it from spreading. The general public doesn't realize just what is still alive in the modern world. Magic never vanished and those that once where thought of as mythical creatures still flourish in today's world. You above all should realize that."

Kagome gasps, "But how can I not sense the youkai? I should be able to do so."

Corwyn shrugs, "Like I said earlier, concealment of the truth is the key to survival in this day and age. Youkai have taken human form with the help of special amulets that hide both their features and their youki. Most are law-abiding creatures that enjoy life and live it to the fullest. They have special places where they can be themselves in the underground but have adapted to modern society for the most part." Lifting up his glass he takes a drink as he watches closely the interaction between Kagome and Inuyasha.

Inuyasha's eyes are still narrowed as he looks at Kagome. Kagome sighs and then shakes her head. In a voice she hopes can only be heard by his ears alone she whispers, "Inuyasha, we need to learn what we can. I am completely out of my element here. You know as well as I that I thought there were no youkai in the modern era, but obviously I have been proven wrong in the past few days."

Corwyn puts down his glass and puts his elbows on the arms of his chair. Putting his fingers tips together he brings his forefingers to rest gently by his lips and closes his eyes as he lowers his head. Looking to the others that he is not paying any attention to anything going on.

Inuyasha crosses his arms and his ears lower down further in his anger. Kagome just sighs and looks back at Corwyn. 'He knows more then he is telling us. He acts like he is waiting but for what I don't know.' Taking a breath she blows it out, closes her eyes, and rubs her temples, 'all I wanted was to keep my family safe.'

Finally she opens her eyes and looks at Corwyn, "This is getting more complicated then I previously assumed. All we wanted to do was keep my family safe." In a mere whisper she adds, "I never expected things to be this dangerous in this time."

Corwyn eyes open to mere slits as he barely lifts his head up enough to just see his eyes glittering under his brow. His mouth forms a ghost of a smirk as he looks directly at her. "Never assume the easiest road, for it may lead you to the most peril."

The hanyou's scowl deepens, "What the hell does that mean?"

Ignoring him Corwyn continues to stare at Kagome making her feel like he is still waiting for something but now it seems like he is waiting for it from her.

Suddenly a thought flashes in her mind, 'he knows. But how?' Narrowing her eyes at him she speaks in a neutral voice, "You know don't you."

At that his eyes twinkle in what could almost be delight, the smirk never leaving his lips. "Really Kagome, whatever gives you that idea?"

Kagome eyes show puzzlement for just a moment, 'is he…is he testing me?' Tilting her head slightly she sits back, "You do don't you. You've been leaving me clues to catch it but up till this point I didn't understand."

Inuyasha has thoroughly become annoyed with this and can't contain his anger any longer. His instincts are screaming at him that he knows more then is letting on therefore it makes him the enemy and he flexes his claws. "What the hell is going on?"

Kagome feeling her hanyou become truly tense lays a hand on his arm. Looking from Corwyn to him she shakes her head, "Inuyasha, wait."

Growling he blinks at her, "Then explain to me what is going on."

Never moving from his position Corwyn tips his head just a fraction, "Why yes, please explain."

The other girls have no idea as to what exactly is going on and keep quite. Yuka narrows her eyes at Corwyn wondering what he is trying to do.

Kagome turns back to the man and sighs, "You know. You hinted, but you never came out fully and said. Or it was easily explained otherwise. How else would you know what you did? You knew that Inuyasha wanted to take his sword, and even had a coat ready for just such an item, just like you knew that I wouldn't be able to take my bow, but you fixed that."

"I realize that you may already known about Hojo, just not his connection to me until Yuka said something. That may just be something that has nothing or everything to do with this. I don't know that yet. But you did know there was another reason for us for wanting to go to the club other then just to enjoy the opening. You said as much yourself but I don't believe you thought we wanted to protect ourselves due to Hojo. We didn't know Hojo was such a threat until you said so, otherwise why would we need such items if we were just going to confront one jealous male."

Corwyn eyes open just a fraction of a bit wider as the delight grows.

Kagome watches him as she continues, "When you handed me the bow you said, 'I do believe this will be invaluable for you in this time.' This time? Why wouldn't you say 'at this time' instead you said 'in'? I didn't think anything of it at the time. But then when you said it would be invaluable to me 'in' this time. Again I didn't think anything of it as an individual item, but that is because I didn't look to see them as a whole."

"Then when you were explaining about the underworld and youkai still surviving in this era you looked directly at Inuyasha and said 'You above all should realize that.' There again I didn't realize it. I thought you meant because I was a miko I should have known they were still around, but then you said about them hiding not only their features but their youki as well, I realized that you weren't talking to me. You were talking to Inuyasha. Or more specifically, about Inuyasha."

His mouth twitches in a larger smirk but he never moves his body as he can see she is not finished.

"I have known you for some time Corwyn, and that may want to influence how I want to feel about you, but there is just to much at risk right now, and I can't do that. SO, I ask you. Exactly what do you know, and what are your intentions with said knowledge. I can't ignore the facts right now, there is too much at risk and to many lives at stake to do so. Even for one who is viewed as a friend."

When she is done he leans his head on one hand, grabs his glass and lifts it slightly to her. "Well done, well done indeed. Of course if I really wanted to, I could explain it all away to make it look like innocent things. But you are right, we have little time and there is too much at stake." Taking a sip he puts his glass down.

The tense moment is brought to a pause while the waitress hands everyone their food. Inuyasha, and Kagome ignore their food while the other three eat. Corwyn smiles at the other two who are intently staring at him. "I must first say Kagome that you must remember what just happened here. Not everything is always what it seems to be. Since you were not prepared to encounter such a thing you need to realize that you must always be alert to what is going on around you. Never become lax just because you think you are safe. It may just save your life or the life of someone you care about because of it."

Kagome blinks and then narrows her eyes, "You know about the quest don't you."

Wiping the grin from his face his eyes narrow and become hard, "Never repeat it to anyone. What you guard is an item that could destroy the world as we know it if used in such a way. It is a very dangerous item and there are many in this day and age that would not hesitate to use any means necessary to get it."

Kagome looks lost at this. A tremor goes down her back at his look, "But I don't understand. How do you know?"

A hint of humor shines in his eye as he says, "Come now, you never asked just how old some of your demon friends where?"

Her eyes widen at that, "Do you know the outcome of the quest?"

He closes his eyes and sighs, "As much as I wish I could say, I can't."

Inuyasha growls low, "Can't or won't?"

Corwyn opens his eyes at him and raises his eyebrow, "Can't and won't."

Kagome shakes her head before she lets out an aggravated sigh, "Why do I feel like I am not going to like the reasons?"

At this Corwyn places his folded hands on the table. "Listen, while it is true I do know what happened in our past, for you it is still your future. I am not about to change it. Nor do I want you to go into the battle thinking that you will win. I know you are fighting for your life back there, and I respect that. But I am not about to jeopardize that by making you overconfident. That could lead to your downfall. No, rather it is better if you just know there is more then just the end of an evil tyrant and that which is broken be made whole."

Yuka sighs, "Sounds like a paradox to me."

Corwyn tips his head towards her and smiles, "Exactly."

~)O(~

Note from £ady ßan§hee 999:

Gomen about the long delay in this story, I didn't mean for it to be this long. Between a death in the family, my computer crashing, and many other things, these past months have… well for lack of better terms, 'sucked the big one'.

Anyways, I am going through the chapters one by one and redoing them. Some sections don't flow as well as I wish they would. I have just finished redoing the first chapter. Basically I am using the original chapter, but just fleshing everything out more to give the story more depth.

Also, I have teamed up with my husband to make sure I worked his creation just right. Corwyn is an interesting character, and I wanted to make sure he is being portrayed just right. (Personally he reminds me of a cross between Sesshomaru and James O'Barr's 'The Crow'. Dark, sinister, twisted sense of humor, never sure just whose side he is on, and always has something going behind the surface.)

My husband was really pushing for the whole "not only does Kag. and Inu have to deal with modern day youkai, but also a whole new underworld and toss in some goth club scene too … lets see how dog boy does with that…. Muwahahahahah!" Yeah, my husband can be evil and twisted too. (I keep telling him, keep it up buddy, and I will make you write your own fanfic just so that you will leave mine alone!)

Oh, and on a non-fanfic note, I have also become hooked to an on-line game called Final Fantasy XI. Wonderful game! (tee-hee) I have a little cat girl who I have named 'Nekoyasha'. I am only a 14th level red mage so far, but my hubbie is like a 20th level red mage. His character 'Phantomas' gets more playtime, that's why. *sigh*

Well, anyways, thanks for reading Blood Promises, and be sure to review to let us know what you think. And for some reason the bold/center thing is hit or miss here. I have the format set up to work on Fanfiction.net but here... forget about it. SO gomen about the "messy" way this is looking. :S I am trying to work on it as fast as I can.

TTFN!

~)O(~