InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Blood & Tears ❯ Summer ( Chapter 32 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha but I do own Kaminari, Kaiho, and the lovely Kichou.
 
AN: Thank you to those of you who have taken the time to leave a review. I do read them and they help to inspire me to keep writing.
 
 
Blood & Tears 
 
Chapter 32: Summer
 
They had been home for a week, and Kagome was trying to decide whether or not she wanted to go to Ayume's wedding reception. Kagome knew her good friend expected her to be there - Ayume had asked her to give a speech after all. It was June, and Kagome was really starting to show. She could wear loose clothing, but it was getting harder to hide the fact that she was pregnant.
 
Then there was Eri, though Kagome hoped there would be no more problems with her. Sesshomaru had told InuYasha that the problem had been dealt with, and the girl was unharmed (which was saying something all things considered).
 
Kagome knew that Eri had tried to come back, but that the guards did not allow anyone into even the lobby of the building that was not on their list of expected guests and deliveries. Eri was apparently frustrated that she couldn't get pictures of the inside of Kagome and InuYasha's apartment, so she then tried to sell the address instead.
 
First, no one would believe that a girl like her could possibly know someone in the Nishimoto family. Eri couldn't get anyone to take her up on her offer. Then, when she finally did find a reporter who said he would be happy to pay her for the address, Eri received a very unexpected visit from one of Sesshomaru's security team. While the reporter was indeed legitimate, he knew who best buttered his bread. He had been taking information to a contact within Sesshomaru's company for years in return for far more than any tabloid would ever pay him. Many leaks had been sealed before they ever started because of his loyalty to the Demon Lord, or at least to his money.
 
Sesshomaru knew what a kind heart Kagome had and thought it best that she not know all of the details of the encounter with her former friend. Eri wasn't real bright about the entire thing because she had declared that she could do whatever she wanted to with the information. But, when all was said and done, Eri had soiled herself in fear and swore she would never again try to peddle any information regarding Kagome or her husband, or bother Kagome in any way. Her visitor left five gouges caused by the claws of his hand on the exterior of her home as a reminder.
 
~ ^~^ ~ 
 
It was InuYasha who finally helped convince Kagome they should go to the wedding reception of her friend. He had taken the initiative and called Niro to ask that he bring Ayume to come and visit, and maybe go out to dinner. Niro was grateful for any break from the pre-wedding preparations and thought Ayume could use a break as well. They still had a couple of weeks, but they were both turning into a nervous wreck.
 
Kagome was surprised when InuYasha disappeared and then showed back up with the couple. As InuYasha expected, Ayume was thrilled that Kagome was expecting, and even more so when Kagome told her friend she was having twins. The only thing Ayume seemed disappointed about was the fact that Kagome would have to wait a least a year if she wanted to go to University.
 
Ayume also gave Kagome one other piece of news - she had NOT invited Eri to the reception. Ayume was still pissed off at Eri about the camera ordeal and decided she would much rather have Kagome and InuYasha, who were largely responsible for her getting together with Niro, at her reception rather than Eri.
 
 
Kagome tried not to giggle at her mate when they were out with Ayume and Niro that same evening. InuYasha seemed to love noodles no matter what form they came in. The two couples had decided to try a new Italian restaurant just to do something different. Kagome's stomach seemed to be giving her less trouble than it did earlier in the pregnancy, and she was able to enjoy her salad and entrée. Kagome had decided not to chance the garlic bread and asked the waiter to bring some out that had just plain butter for her. InuYasha ended up sharing her plain loaf with her and let Ayume and Niro eat all of the garlic bread - it was strong to the hanyou's nose so he decided to skip it. However, InuYasha felt quite differently about the spaghetti and meat sauce. He declared it was the best thing since Ramen.
 
~ ^~^ ~ 
 
InuYasha actually took Kagome shopping to buy a new dress for the reception. He didn't even call her mother or Kichou - he thought they had done pretty well themselves when shopping before they were married. InuYasha still didn't care for the mall, but asked their driver instead to find the best shop to take his mate to so she could find something appropriate for the wedding.
 
They ended up at the shop where Kagome had purchased her wedding attire, though InuYasha didn't know that. It did not take him long to figure it out, however, as the ladies from the shop fussed over Kagome. Kagome told them that she was going to the reception of a very good friend, and needed something to wear. They decided on a Houmongi, the formal kimono of a married woman that would be appropriate for her to wear to the reception of a good friend. It would fit Kagome even though she was showing, but would also fit her after she had her babies. Kagome ended up deciding on one with flowers and geometric patterns painted and then partially embroidered onto a pale pink background. Once she was satisfied that she had everything she needed, InuYasha helped his mate back into their car and headed home.
 
~ ^~^ ~ 
 
As Kagome had agreed, Kichou arranged for the interview with the girl who had taken care of the suite they were in at the Four Seasons. Her day off was Wednesday, so Kagome made sure that InuYasha would be there when she came.
 
Kichou was right; Mai was quiet and very shy, but had a warm smile as Kagome tried to get her to talk more about herself. Kagome found out that while Mai was human, her husband was hanyou. It turned out that she knew Kichou because her husband was the offspring of someone on their staff. Jin had left home when he was ready to find his own place in the world. He met Mai when she took her mother to the clinic that Jin worked at on a regular basis as an orderly.
 
Mai seemed quite intelligent and Kagome wondered why she was not able to get higher paying jobs. It turned out that she had to drop out of school to take care of her mother because of her poor health. The girl had to start to work at a young age to help pay the bills when her father disappeared.
 
Kagome liked Mai, and asked InuYasha what he thought after he had escorted her back down the elevator and told her goodbye. InuYasha liked her as well - he said she felt honest and sincere. It was a bonus that not only did she clean, she was also willing to cook when she was there during the day and to help with laundry as well. Kagome called Kichou to find out what would be an appropriate amount to offer her. After allowing time for the girl to reach her home, Kagome called and made an offer. Mai said she would need to give her notice at the hotel (she didn't want to burn any bridges) and should be able to start in two weeks.
 
~ ^~^ ~ 
 
InuYasha had also taken what Sesshomaru had warned him about pregnant women to heart. Not wanting Kagome to ever get the idea that he thought she was fat, ugly, or anything else, he had gone alone to Antonio's one day to see if he could find something special for her.
 
InuYasha was wondering who warned Antonio that he was coming - it seemed too much of a coincidence that the jeweler just happened to have them: a set of pink diamonds in the heart-shaped cut mounted in white gold. The set consisted of stud earrings and a pendant, each containing one of the pink diamonds. InuYasha took one look and told him to wrap them up.
 
~ ^~^ ~ 
 
InuYasha was dressed in a black suit with a white shirt and white tie. He had ended up buying another since black suits seemed to be appropriate for so many things. Kagome still had to help him with the tie so that he didn't accidentally shred it with his claws while trying to tie it. The hanyou already had his concealment charm on since he usually wore it under his clothing - he'd learned the hard way not to wait until the tie was in place before putting it on.
 
InuYasha knew Kagome usually put on her jewelry right before she put on her dress, so he brought the small box that contained his gift to her as she was finishing her makeup.
 
“InuYasha, what's this?” Kagome asked.
 
“Keh, just something for you. I thought it would be nice with your new kimono,” InuYasha responded softly.
 
Kagome opened the box and stared at its contents. “Oh, InuYasha! You shouldn't have!”
 
Kagome stopped and looked at her hanyou. “Okay, what have you done?”
 
“Keh?”
 
“What have you done that you think you need to give me this?” Kagome asked, half jokingly, half serious.
 
“You mean I can't go out and buy the mother of my pups a present?” InuYasha asked, and then added, “I just thought you would like some new jewelry, is all.”
 
Kagome stood and hugged InuYasha. “Sorry…thank you; they're beautiful.”
 
“Not as beautiful as you,” InuYasha said with a smile.
 
If they didn't have a reception to go to, Kagome would have stripped him out of his suit right then and there. Instead, she opted to kiss him lightly on the lips so she didn't get any makeup on him. “Thank you, InuYasha.”
 
 
Kagome and InuYasha arrived at the reception in plenty of time. They signed the guest book and presented the Shugi-bukuro envelope that contained their gift to one of the ladies at the table. She recorded the names and amount and handed them a ticket to enter the ballroom where the reception was to be held. Kagome and InuYasha discovered they were at the first tier of tables, which ranked them high on the list of importance of guests.
 
Ayume's reception was more in line with what Kagome had originally envisioned for her own. Those attending consisted mostly of Ayume's friends and teachers from school along with some close family friends and only a handful of relatives. Kagome felt a little sad for Ayume. She knew her classmate had more relatives than this, but was fairly certain that those related closely to the uncle who had violated her and accused Ayume of being a whore were not invited. That was something that Kagome could totally understand. At least everyone that was in attendance seemed genuinely happy for her.
 
They waited in the line to greet the bride and groom on their way into the reception hall. InuYasha shook Niro's hand while Kagome lightly hugged Ayume. They also met both sets of parents. Ayume's mother hugged Kagome when she reached her and had tears at the corners of her eyes when she released her.
 
Ayume's parents were divorced, but her father was there as well. He said as he took Kagome's hand, “Thank you for helping our little girl find happiness.” Kagome gave him a smile and nodded as she continued towards the door to the ballroom.
 
Though a number of people were still lingering in the hallway, Kagome was ready to find her seat. Her ankles and feet were starting to swell a bit so InuYasha ushered her towards the table they were to occupy. There were several ladies available to help the guests find their seats with the aid of a chart. One of them showed the couple to their chairs and Kagome gratefully sat down. When he was sure his mate was comfortable, InuYasha sat in his chair beside her.
 
Kagome had worried about how to refuse champagne or any other alcohol without offending anyone, but discovered it wasn't necessary. The waitress showed her the bottle before she filled her glass - it was something called `Sparkling Grape Juice (non-alcoholic).' Kagome nodded her head and her glass was filled. InuYasha asked if he could have that as well instead of the champagne. He had enough of that stuff at their own wedding and didn't like the feeling it gave him, nor the headache he had afterwards. Of course that wasn't what he said to Kagome or the waitress - he told them that he just didn't want to drink since his wife couldn't. The waitress thought that was sweet and gladly filled his glass. She made certain both of them received non-alcoholic beverages throughout the reception.
 
InuYasha found he was having a good time. He decided it was a lot less stressful being on this side of the reception. Kagome seemed to be enjoying herself as well. Her speech had gone really well, though she said it was only because the rest of the guests were already getting too drunk to notice. The longer the reception went, the more raucous the speakers and karaoke became. Kagome just laughed. She decided she must not have done one of the sing-alongs like most of the other speakers that followed her (and a few before) because she was too sober to do so.
 
The last speeches given were those by Niro and Ayume. They gave the long and traditional thanks to their parents. Ayume choose to read her letter to her parents herself, though she had a hard time getting through it - especially the part to her mother. The whole room was in tears when she finished.
 
When it was time to file out of the reception hall, Kagome choose to remain in her seat until the line had thinned down some. InuYasha didn't argue. He could tell his mate was tired and also knew that her feet and ankles had started swelling some just recently. They remained at their table as they watched the majority of the guests stand in line to say goodbye to the newlyweds and their families. Ayume was having another party for her and Niro's friends after the reception was over, but Kagome had politely declined that one, explaining that she didn't have a lot of energy these days and was fairly certain she wouldn't be able to stay up half the night partying. Ayume said she understood.
 
Kagome was watching the line start to dwindle a bit when she felt InuYasha tap her on the shoulder. She turned and saw Yuki and Hojo coming toward them.
 
Yuki spoke first, “Kagome, your speech was beautiful. I just wanted to tell you that I was so sorry for everything. I hope you will be able to forgive me. I don't know what got into me.”
 
Kagome looked at Yuki, but remained seated. “Yuki, I understand that you got sucked in. I was just disappointed in you is all.”
 
“Will you ever forgive me?” Yuki asked.
 
“I already have,” Kagome responded.
 
“Thank you, Kagome,” Yuki said as she took Hojo's hand to go wait in line to say goodbye.
 
When the line was almost to the end InuYasha stood and helped Kagome to her feet. Holding hands, they walked side-by-side to say goodbye to the newlyweds and their parents. Kagome gave Ayume one more hug while InuYasha shook Niro's hand and whispered something in his ear. Niro blushed but nodded in response to whatever InuYasha said to him.
 
They were on their way home when Kagome finally asked, “What was it you said to Niro?”
 
“Keh? When?” InuYasha asked innocently.
 
“You know when. When we were leaving and you whispered something in his ear,” Kagome responded.
 
“I just gave him a little advice is all,” InuYasha replied.
 
“Like what?” Kagome questioned.
 
“I told him not to be surprised if Ayume was tired and just wanted to sleep tonight. I just thought he should know that if he let her sleep, it would be worth the wait when she was rested,” InuYasha answered.
 
Kagome's reaction was to slap her husband on the shoulder, and grin.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
Back in Feudal Japan, Kichou was trying not to laugh out loud at the sight that greeted her when she walked into the nursery. Apparently her mate had decided he needed to spend more time bonding with his four pups. He was laid out on his back in the floor, with the girl that was his image wrapped in his arm and held close to his chest. The girl that looked like her grandmother was snuggled into his other side, apparently worn out and sound asleep. The other two each had a sizable chunk of Sesshomaru's mane in their mouth and were growling and playing tug-o-war with it for all they were worth. Kichou couldn't even imagine what it would be like when they were older and learned to take their true form. But right now, it was funny just to watch the little boy and girl that looked like miniature versions of Sesshomaru and Kichou yanking at their father's hair. As they finally started to tire, they too joined their sisters and snuggled up next to the Demon Lord and went to sleep. Kichou just smiled and quietly left the room.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
Mai had started to work and Kagome was quickly learning to appreciate her. She arrived between 9:00 and 9:30 each morning, allowing Kagome and InuYasha plenty of time to get up and get dressed. She would make sure there was a fresh pot of coffee available for InuYasha and his tutors, and then make the bed and go about the other chores around the household. It also turned out Mai was a very good cook. Kagome started taking her shopping with her for groceries so that she could get ingredients for dishes that she wanted to make. Kagome only gave her one stern warning: NO curry. Other than that, Mai was free to cook what she wanted. Kagome and InuYasha would appreciate and try any other dish that she wanted to prepare for them.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
Sango and Miroku were starting to wonder if they had made a mistake in trying to rebuild the slayer village alone. It was very lonely in the village by themselves, and they were both exhausted from taking care of Shinkei. They had not realized just how much help they had from Kaede and the other villagers until they were here, all alone. Thankfully, Kirara had actually helped with the hunting and was bringing back meat for them to prepare and cook. While it had been nice to be in the cool of the mountains during the summer, Miroku was also wondering what the winter would be like with their young son. The previous winter had not been too bad, but the amount of coat that the animals were already putting on this year was almost frightening. It looked like nature was preparing for a much harsher winter than the one the year before. However, he hated bringing it up to his wife. Miroku knew it had been her dream to rebuild this village.
 
Fortunately, Miroku wasn't the one who brought it up, Sango did.
 
“Miroku?”
 
“Yes, my Sango?”
 
“Do you ever wish we had stayed with Kaede in her village?” Sango asked.
 
“What do you mean?” Miroku responded.
 
“It's just…I never…I never realized how much help we were getting from the others with our son until we were here alone with him,” Sango replied.
 
“I know it is hard work, but I'm sure it will get better,” Miroku stated.
 
“I'm also worried that the animals are starting to grow their winter coats so early. It looks like it might be a long and hard winter, and I don't know if we can get enough food stockpiled to last us through,” Sango said.
 
“So what are you saying?” Miroku questioned.
 
“I…I'm wondering if we should go back to Kaede's while the weather and the roads are good. We could get help and build our own hut there since I don't think it would be fair to stay with Kaede through the winter. She would never get any sleep with Shinkei there,” Sango answered.
 
“When would you want to go?”
 
Sango gathered her thoughts before she spoke, “If we left now, that would give us more time to get a hut built before the weather starts to turn. Next spring we can decide whether or not we want to return here, or stay there.”
 
“I have to admit I wouldn't mind going back. But Sango, I thought it was your dream to rebuild this village?” Miroku said quietly.
 
“I…I'm starting to think it is too much for us to do by ourselves. It would be different if there were others here with us, but we're all alone. Maybe it's time for me to try and let go of the past and move forward. I know we'll always be welcomed at Kaede's. We can come back again if we decide to. The village was still here after my absence while we battled Naraku; it'll still be here if we decide to return later,” Sango responded.
 
Sango looked at Kirara. “What do you think Kirara?”
 
Kirara mewed in agreement.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
Kagome was well into her seventh month when the new moon came again. It had not been much of a problem in previous months. Knowing that his youkai would fade during the day and then totally wane at sundown, the last couple of months InuYasha would make certain they were alone and spend the day with his mate. Part of the time he would just hold her, and part of the time he would carefully make love to her, all the while trying to make sure she had plenty of youkai energy for the pups before nightfall came.
 
However, the more the pups grew, the more energy they needed. InuYasha had been in bed with Kagome almost the entire day trying to fulfill her need. He had started early that morning, before his power had started to fade much. He was even able to release his youkai but still remember the instructions the doctor had given him.
 
InuYasha had been a bit embarrassed; it wasn't often the doctor talked to him about sex. But she was worried now that the pups were getting large and growing fast, and didn't want InuYasha to penetrate Kagome fully. She had suggested that he use his hand as a buffer to keep from completely entering his mate. She had explained why, and even as a demon InuYasha could remember the importance of what the doctor had told him.
 
InuYasha was starting to feel a bit frantic. He could feel that Kagome still needed more, but he was about to lose what little youkai he had left. Kagome had said not to worry - she was sure she would be okay during the night, but InuYasha wasn't so sure. She insisted that she would feel better after a shower, so InuYasha helped her to the bathroom and then stood in the shower with her. He knew Kagome was not completely telling him the truth when she didn't want her hair washed, but all he could do was help her dry off and pull on something comfortable. He was able to carry her out to the couch to watch television while he looked for something to heat up for her to eat. He came back to tell her what she had a choice of, and she was sound asleep. InuYasha felt a flash of fear just before he turned mortal for the evening.
 
Apparently the spike in InuYasha's fear was strong enough for his brother to pick up, even though Sesshomaru didn't pick up signals through his mark as much when InuYasha was human, as well as right before the transformation. So the fact that he felt it made him stop what he was doing and fly in a flash to the penthouse. InuYasha was almost in tears when he heard the tap at the terrace door.
 
`Sesshomaru, why didn't I think of that!' InuYasha thought to himself as he ran to the door and flung it open for his brother.
 
“Please, you've got to help her!” InuYasha exclaimed.
 
“Calm down, InuYasha. What is it?” Sesshomaru asked.
 
“The pups need more energy than I've been able to give her today. Mine started fading this morning. I'm afraid something will happen to Kagome if she doesn't get enough!” InuYasha said. “I don't know why I didn't think of you before.”
 
“Probably because you have not needed my help before, at least not since she saved me. What do I need to do?" Sesshomaru asked. He hoped it was just to hold the little miko - Kichou wouldn't be happy if he had to do more, though under the circumstances, he thought she would probably understand.
 
“If you can sit with her, hold her in your lap, she should be able to pull from your aura. The more contact she has with you, the easier it is for her. I've been with her all day, but it just wasn't enough. The pups are starting to grow so fast now,” InuYasha responded, and then added very softy, “I hope that's all you have to do.”
 
Sesshomaru went and sat next to Kagome and gathered her into his arms and settled her on his lap. Almost immediately, Kagome's aura became visible and enveloped the Demon Lord. InuYasha sighed in relief when it looked like it was going to work.
 
At the same time, InuYasha was also berating himself for being a hanyou and turning human tonight. What if his brother could not help? What would have happened to Kagome? Would she have made it through the night? There was no way to know. InuYasha hated feeling like he was drowning in fear and guilt.
 
Sesshomaru brought him out of his misery. “InuYasha?”
 
“Yeah?”
 
“What does this feel like?”
 
“It'll make you tired if she pulls a lot. You'll probably want to go to sleep,” InuYasha responded.
 
“Will you call Kichou and tell her where I am? I took off without seeing her,” Sesshomaru said sleepily.
 
“Keh.”
 
InuYasha picked the phone up and punched the speed dial for Kichou's cell phone. She seemed to carry that everywhere but into the shower with her.
 
InuYasha heard the phone on the other end stop ringing as Kichou answered, “Hello?”
 
“Kichou, Sesshomaru is here with me. He wanted you to know,” InuYasha said in one fast breath.
 
“InuYasha? Is something wrong?” Kichou asked.
 
“It was Kagome. I couldn't give her enough energy. He came to help,” InuYasha replied.
 
“What? Is he…did he have to…what does he have to do?” Kichou asked.
 
InuYasha looked over at the couple on the couch. Sesshomaru was sound asleep with Kagome in his lap, both arms wrapped securely around her.
 
“He's sleeping with her right now,” InuYasha replied.
 
“Kichou? Kichou?” InuYasha asked, but the line had gone dead.
 
Kichou at least rang and waited for InuYasha to answer the door before she came running in - and then came to a complete stop when she saw the couple on the couch. Kichou had overreacted just a bit. She didn't realize that InuYasha had meant they were actually asleep.
 
Kichou turned to InuYasha who she had not even glanced at when she raced in. She suddenly understood the situation. It was the night of the new moon and Kagome needed youkai energy - and InuYasha had none.
 
“I'm sorry, InuYasha. I don't know what I was thinking. I could tell you were upset but did not understand the reason why. Now I do. Will she be all right?” Kichou asked.
 
“I think so, at least now. This is the first time it has been a problem. I was really worried until Sesshomaru showed up. She already seems more comfortable. I'm sorry. I hope you don't mind,” InuYasha said quietly.
 
“How could I? Kagome saved the life of both my fourth pup and me. Then, she went and saved Sesshomaru. Even if my mate had to couple with her to give her the amount of youkai she needed I would understand. I may not be happy about it, but I would. I would never forgive myself if he could have done something to help her and did not, and then something happened to your mate,” Kichou responded softly.
 
“Keh. Let's just hope it doesn't come to that. I don't like to share either,” InuYasha said. “But I would die if anything happened to Kagome.”
 
Kichou put one arm around InuYasha and pulled him to her in a hug. “It will be all right. InuYasha, are you feeling all right?” Kichou thought he looked a little pale and felt weak, even for his human state.
 
InuYasha pulled free and sat back on the arm of the chair behind him. “I was so busy worrying about Kagome today I haven't had anything to eat. I made sure she got something for breakfast and lunch, but I wasn't hungry. I was just about to find something for both of us when I panicked, which drew Sesshomaru here.”
 
“What happened, InuYasha? I know you do not panic very easily,” Kichou asked gently.
 
InuYasha moved around to sit in the chair he was sitting on, and motioned for Kichou to sit as well before he answered, “I know you've noticed that I don't have as much control over my emotions when I'm in this state. It actually starts before the transformation as my powers wane going into the sunset. I was already worried when Kagome wanted to take a shower, but didn't want to stay in long enough to wash her hair. Then, when I brought her out here to relax while I found something for us to eat, I realized she had already gone back to sleep. It scared me because I could feel that she still needed youkai energy, and I was about to lose the little I had left. I didn't know what might happen if she had to go the entire night without getting what she needed. The doctor had warned it could cause the pups to come too early. It scared me that something might happen to her, and I could not do anything about it. I don't know why I didn't think of calling Sesshomaru earlier.”
 
“It does not matter, InuYasha. He is here now. We probably should get you something to eat, though, so you don't pass out on me,” Kichou responded.
 
“We could have something delivered if you don't mind going down to get it,” InuYasha said. “When Kagome wakes up, she'll be hungry. She likes the Nikujaga from the place down the street. I wouldn't mind some, either.”
 
“Beef and potatoes, huh? What else do they have?” Kichou asked.
 
“We just call and tell them what we want. They'll prepare anything if they have the ingredients for it,” InuYasha replied.
 
“Sounds like you give them a lot of business,” Kichou said with a smile.
 
“Kagome likes to cook, but the last few months by the time she got something prepared, the smell of it would make her sick and she couldn't eat it. I don't know how to cook anything in this time except for Ramen. Mai cooks for us when she's here, but she had the day off so I was going through the leftovers since I don't go out of this apartment like this,” InuYasha answered.
 
Kichou nodded in understanding. “Where is their number?”
 
“It's five on the speed dial. You might want to order something for Sesshomaru. He'll probably be hungry when they wake up,” InuYasha responded. He knew that he always was.
 
Kichou nodded and picked up the phone. She requested three orders of Nikujaga, and Banbanji (chicken and cucumber salad with sesame sauce) for herself. Kichou then called downstairs to let the guard in the lobby know they were expecting a delivery.
 
Kichou went down and retrieved the food when the guard called. After bringing it back up, she pulled out her salad and one of the orders of Nikujaga and told InuYasha to come and eat. He might be able to go without eating when he was in his hanyou form, but his human form was pale and shaky after not eating all day, probably intensified because of the amount of energy he had poured into Kagome throughout the day. Kichou finally convinced InuYasha that Kagome would not be too happy with him if he were passed out when she woke up. InuYasha finally agreed and joined her at the table to eat his supper.
 
 
It was after midnight when InuYasha and Kichou heard, “Mmmm, Sesshomaru?”
 
InuYasha jumped up and went to his mate's side. “Kagome, are you all right?” InuYasha asked worriedly.
 
“What happened?” Kagome asked.
 
“You needed more youkai energy than I could give you. Sesshomaru came to help. He's been here since just after sundown,” InuYasha replied.
 
Sesshomaru started to stir as well. “Kagome, do you feel better?” he asked sleepily as he started to become more coherent and shifted Kagome off of his lap.
 
“Yes, thank you. Kichou, you're here too?” Kagome asked.
 
“I came when InuYasha called to tell me my mate was here. I stayed when it looked like it might be a while before you two woke up. I am glad you are better. Are you hungry?” Kichou responded.
 
Sesshomaru said, “I know I am. That takes a lot out of you. InuYasha, now I understand why you did not want to stay gone from your mate for long the further she got into her pregnancy. Carrying twins takes a lot of energy.”
 
“Keh, now you know why I was so worried. I'm glad you came,” InuYasha responded.
 
“Well, next time I propose that my mate and I come over before sundown to help,” Kichou said.
 
“You don't mind?” Kagome said as she stretched and yawned - she felt much better.
 
“I could not forgive myself if anything happened to either you or your pups,” Kichou replied.
 
“Thank you. I'll have to admit they are draining me faster and faster, and I am hungry. What do we have to eat?” Kagome asked.
 
Kichou answered her, “At InuYasha's suggestion, I ordered enough Nikujaga for both of you. He said you liked it, and I know Sesshomaru does. I put it in bowls in the oven to keep warm while we waited.”
 
“What about you, InuYasha? Did you eat?” Kagome asked. She knew he hadn't eaten the entire day before even though he made sure that she did.
 
“I convinced him to eat. I told him I did not think you would be too happy if he was passed out from hunger when you woke up. He finally agreed and ate,” Kichou told her.
 
“Good. I was worried about him. Let's eat,” Kagome responded as InuYasha helped her to her feet.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
Kaede wasn't really surprised when Miroku and Sango showed back up at the village. Kirara had carried them at least part of the time to cut down the length of the trip.
 
“I see you decided to return,” Kaede said as they entered her hut.
 
“You don't seem too surprised to see us,” Miroku remarked.
 
“Actually, I was hoping you would come back. It must be lonely in the slayer village all by yourselves, and it looks like it may be a hard winter. I would have been worried if you had stayed up there with no way for us to check on you,” Kaede responded.
 
Sango wasn't proud. “We also didn't realize how much you and the villagers were helping us with our son when we were here. With just the two of us, we're exhausted all of the time. Thank the Kami Kirara was with us. She made sure we had meat to eat. She might not could prepare it like InuYasha, but at least she caught the game and brought it to us.”
 
Kaede just nodded in understanding so Sango continued, “We thought if we came back now, we would have time to build a hut before the weather turns bad. It wouldn't be fair to stay with you for the entire winter.”
 
“Actually, that is not necessary,” Kaede responded.
 
“Kaede, you know we can't stay with you for so many months. You wouldn't get enough sleep,” Sango replied.
 
“I do not mean that, I mean that there is already a hut waiting for you,” Kaede said as she stood.
 
“What do you mean?” Miroku asked.
 
“Follow me,” Kaede replied as she walked out of her hut and headed up the path.
 
Kaede led them to a hut that was up the path from hers. It was on the edge of the village, but still close to the stream that fed along near Kaede's hut. It was larger than most of the other huts. When they went in, they realized that it had the larger central room with a fire pit in the middle of it, and then two other rooms to be used for sleeping that each had their own fire pit off to one side to help keep the rooms warm when it was cold. Another room had yet another fire pit along with shelves that contained bowls and items for cooking. Miroku and Sango just looked at everything in wonder.
 
“Whose hut is this? I've never seen one quite like it,” Miroku finally broke the silence.
 
“It is yours if you want it. It is InuYasha's gift to you,” Kaede replied.
 
“What?” Sango and Miroku asked in unison.
 
“InuYasha apparently bartered quite a lot when he was here between shard hunts. He would do manual labor or hunt for villagers in return for items. InuYasha managed to obtain this piece of land and then help with building the hut. He provided the wood and other raw materials that he could, and traded for what he could not. Though he never said, InuYasha had apparently always planned to remain here once the jewel was complete, and probably hoped to take Kagome as his mate. After his last trip here, though, something happened that made InuYasha realize that he needed to stay in Kagome's time with her rather than bring her here permanently. Before they went home again, he brought me here and told me that if you two ever returned to the village to stay, I was to tell you that this is his gift to you,” Kaede answered.
 
“Wow, we greatly underestimated InuYasha,” Miroku said.
 
“I don't think he will ever cease to amaze me,” Sango added.
 
“Can you tell us what happened that caused him to make such a final decision?” Miroku asked.
 
Kaede sighed. “While I could not get him to tell me much, apparently they saved a village from demons on their way west, and the villagers wanted to kill the two of them when they realized that InuYasha was hanyou. The village's headman welcomed them, but InuYasha heard too much while he was there. He decided that he could not put Kagome in that situation again. I think they will be back to visit this village, but I doubt he will ever travel the countryside again.”
 
“InuYasha would never admit it, but he does so much to help others, and still they treat him like that. Is it better in Kagome's time?” Sango asked.
 
“From what they tell me, most of the youkai are peaceful and wear concealment charms to blend in. There are also more hanyou since they are not hunted like they used to be. InuYasha decided the only way to keep Kagome and their pups safe would be to stay there. It sounded like he is adjusting and fitting in, so it is probably for the best,” Kaede replied.
 
“I hope they come back. I would like to see what their pups look like,” Sango said.
 
“Aye, child. So would I,” Kaede agreed.
 
 
To be continued…