InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Blood & Tears ❯ It's Time! ( Chapter 34 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha but I do own Kaminari, Kaiho, and the lovely Kichou.
 
AN: Thank you to those of you who have taken the time to leave a review. I do read them and they help to inspire me to keep writing.
 
 
Blood & Tears
 
Chapter 34: It's Time!
 
 
They helped Kagome into the car, and Sesshomaru told the chauffeur to head for the private hospital that youkai and their humans used in Tokyo. Kichou had reached the doctor, and she was on her way in. The doctor did ask that they start timing the contractions since no one had thought of that in their haste.
 
InuYasha pulled out the stop watch he had started keeping with him just in case. “Kagome, you have to tell me when the next one starts. We have to time how long it lasts and then the difference between the end of one and the beginning of the next.”
 
“All right, Inu…now!” Kagome gasped as the pain pulled at her back.
 
“Okay,” Kagome breathed out a sigh of relief.
 
“That was only about thirty seconds,” InuYasha said as he looked at his watch.
 
“THIRTY SECONDS! Is THAT all!” Kagome exclaimed.
 
InuYasha pinned his ears to his head, but continued, “On the next one tell me when it ends, and we'll time the distance between them.”
 
While he was waiting InuYasha turned to Kichou. “Would you mind calling Kagome's mother and letting her know? Ask if she would mind dropping by the apartment to pick up Kagome's hospital bag. She knows where it is.”
 
Kichou nodded and called the shrine. “Hello, Souta? Is your mother home?”
 
Kichou held the phone away from her ear as she heard, “MOM! TELEPHONE!”
 
“Hello?”
 
“Mrs. Higurashi? It's Kichou.”
 
“What's wrong?”
 
“We think Kagome is in labor and we are on our way to the hospital. Do you know where it is?”
 
“The one near the clinic we went to for her appointments?”
 
“That's the one. We were at brunch when we started to the hospital, so we do not have her bag with us. InuYasha asked if you would mind stopping by to pick it up on your way. He said you know where it is,” Kichou said.
 
Mama replied, “I'll stop and get it. Do they need anything else?”
 
Kichou looked at Kagome and InuYasha. “Your mother wants to know if there is anything else.”
 
Kagome gritted her teeth as she said, “Tell her to bring the rosary. I want to sit InuYasha with every contraction.”
 
InuYasha pinned his ears to his head. “You don't really mean that, do you?”
 
“YES!” Kagome exclaimed as another contraction went through her before she finally said, “It's over.”
 
InuYasha's ears were still flat, but he pushed the timer on the watch.
 
Kichou spoke into phone, “Did you get all of that?”
 
“I'm leaving the rosary right where it is, don't worry. I'll stop and get the bag and be on my way,” Mama replied.
 
“We will see you there,” Kichou said before she hung up.
 
“Your mother is going to get your bag and will meet us at the hospital. She said she knows where it is,” Kichou told Kagome.
 
Sesshomaru finally spoke, “Is there anyone else that we need to call?”
 
“Mai will want to know, but we can wait until we get to the hospital and have a better idea of what's going on,” InuYasha replied, still looking a bit forlorn that Kagome wanted to sit him.
 
“What do you mean? What's going on? I'm. Having. Your. Pups!” Kagome exclaimed in exasperation. “Now!”
 
InuYasha clicked the watch. “Right at five minutes. We should have a while to wait yet.”
 
Kagome was gritting her teeth again. “I'm. Ready. To. Have. Them. NOW!”
 
“You're ready to have them now, or `now' as in another contraction?” InuYasha asked worriedly.
 
“SIT!”
 
InuYasha flinched, but nothing happened. Thank the kami the rosary was still at the shrine.
 
“We are here,” Sesshomaru said as the limo pulled up to the entrance of the hospital.
 
InuYasha and Sesshomaru jumped out and helped Kagome out of the car. An orderly came out with a wheelchair to meet them, “Mrs. Nishimoto?” he asked.
 
Both Kagome and Kichou replied, “Yes?”
 
The orderly looked at Kagome, “I assume you are the one we were warned was coming in. You're expecting hanyou twins?”
 
InuYasha growled but Kagome grasped his arm. “Is my doctor here?”
 
“She just arrived a few minutes ago. She's getting everything prepared to check you, if you will get in the wheelchair for me, please,” the orderly asked.
 
InuYasha helped Kagome sit back in the wheelchair, and they followed the orderly as he wheeled her in.
 
Fortunately, Kagome had already filled out all of the pre-admittance paperwork with her doctor ahead of time. A nurse met her as she came by the station and pulled her clipboard, and walked alongside Kagome to the waiting birthing room.
 
They shoed InuYasha and Sesshomaru out of the room while Kagome changed into a gown to make it easier to monitor her progress.
 
They were waiting in the hall when Sesshomaru turned to his brother. “I am kind of glad I missed this part. I got there just in time for Kichou to deliver, but if it makes you feel any better, Rin told Shippou she was going to cut it off if he came near her again when she went into labor with their first.”
 
InuYasha actually smiled a little. “Actually, I'm surprised you didn't when she turned up pregnant.”
 
“Well, I did agree to it. Kami knows she waited long enough for him. I did not think he would ever decide to really grow up. I know he was much older than he let on when he first came to stay with us,” Sesshomaru said.
 
“I always suspected that, but Kagome spoiled him rotten so it was easy for him to stay acting like a little kid even when he should have started to mature. I don't think he's ever quite gotten over the fact that she removed that rosary. She never really understood how many times he'd bait me just to get her to sit me,” InuYasha replied quietly.
 
“I bet you are thankful you do not have to wear it now,” Sesshomaru said with a chuckle.
 
“Let's just say I'm really glad you warned me about pregnant women and their hormones. That was one of the reasons I never wore the rosary again, but I also was better prepared for some of her mood swings. If I hadn't known I would have gotten upset, but instead I learned to tell her that I love her and ask if I could do anything to help. Most of the time it worked and helped calm her back down. I don't suppose Kichou was as bad as Rin since she's a full demon,” InuYasha commented.
 
Sesshomaru said very softly, “Oh, I would not say that. We do not call our females bitches for nothing.”
 
About that time the door opened and they were allowed back in the room. Kagome was on the bed and the doctor was getting ready to do an ultrasound. “We're going to check the position of the twins. Kagome is still in the early stages of labor and we normally would send most mothers back home, but since she has hanyou twins things have been known to speed up unexpectedly, so we're keeping her here to monitor. She's only dilated about four centimeters right now. She has a long way to go.”
 
“Is my mother here yet?” Kagome asked as the doctor was putting the jelly on her abdomen.
 
“I will go and wait for her,” Sesshomaru volunteered.
 
InuYasha's eyes practically begged him to stay - he didn't want to be left alone with all of these women.
 
“I will be back as soon as she gets here,” Sesshomaru responded to his silent plea.
 
They didn't have to wait long. Mrs. Higurashi was at the nurses' station waiting for someone to tell her where to go, but they were currently tied up with someone who must have lost a bet, or at least that was the only explanation Mama could think of. It looked like he had tried to swallow a rather large live squid whole, and it had lodged itself in his throat with the tentacles flailing about from its mouth. It looked like the youkai was still trying to swallow while the squid was trying to pry itself out of his throat.
 
Sesshomaru rescued Mrs. Higurashi, took Kagome's bag and told her to follow him. She was still looking back at the odd site. “What in the name of the kami was that?”
 
“Gecko youkai. They are not all that bright and are always trying to eat things that are much too large for them. It that squid gets loose, it might eat him instead,” Sesshomaru replied.
 
Mama just shuddered at the thought. “How is Kagome?”
 
“They said she is in the early stages of labor, but they are going to keep her here since she has hanyou twins. They were getting ready to do a sonogram when I came to get you,” Sesshomaru replied.
 
“How is InuYasha holding up?” Mama asked.
 
“My brother is showing a maturity I did not know he possessed. I think he was a bit frightened at the thought of being left alone with just the women, though,” Sesshomaru responded with a chuckle.
 
They went into the room and Mama went to Kagome's side. “How are you, dear?”
 
Kagome pointed at the screen. “They're checking the position of the pups right now.”
 
She gritted her teeth as another contraction went through her.
 
“Kagome?”
 
“Yes, Mama?”
 
“Why aren't you letting InuYasha help?”
 
“He did this to me.”
 
“Kagome?”
 
“Yes, Mama?”
 
“If I recall, you said you were ready. You WANTED to have his pups. You WANTED to have twins. Now, let your mate come and help you like he's supposed to,” Mama said very sternly.
 
InuYasha looked hopeful and moved a little closer.
 
“If he could only feel this pain,” Kagome gasped.
 
“I can, at least a lot of it,” InuYasha said.
 
“What?” Mama, Kagome and Kichou replied together.
 
Sesshomaru didn't respond, because he could feel it too, even if it was not with the intensity InuYasha did.
 
“Remember, we're tied together in more ways than one. Why do you think I was so worried about you starting when you were in the shower?” InuYasha asked softly.
 
Kichou looked at her mate, “Is that how you knew to hurry home with them when it was my time?”
 
Sesshomaru just nodded.
 
They were all jerked back to what was going on when the doctor said, “Everything looks good. The lower pup is turned in the right direction and the second one appears to be in a position to move downward when the first is out of the way. All we have to do now is wait. Kagome, you might want to walk around some. It can help make you more comfortable and even help speed things up some.”
 
InuYasha retrieved Kagome's bag from where his brother had set it down. He opened it up and pulled out her robe so Kagome wouldn't have to walk around in just the hospital gown. InuYasha went back to her side and held it for his mate as her mother helped Kagome off of the bed.
 
“Thanks, InuYasha. I'm sorry,” Kagome said quietly as she threaded her arms through the sleeves of her gown.
 
InuYasha kissed her on the cheek. “It's all right. You'll be all right when this is all over with.”
 
Kagome looked at her doctor. “Is it okay if we walk around in the corridors?”
 
“Yes, that's fine. Just don't get lost,” The doctor replied. “And drink a lot of water; that might help you.”
 
“Why'd she have to say that,” Kagome grunted. “InuYasha, help me to the bathroom first.”
 
Kagome felt better when she came back out of the bathroom. “Okay, I feel better. Let's go for a walk.”
 
“Do not go towards the lobby. There is a squid that is big enough to eat someone if it gets loose,” Sesshomaru warned her.
 
“I guess we'll have to ask what that's about when we come back,” Kagome remarked.
 
InuYasha gave his arm to Kagome for support as he escorted her out of the room. They noticed a commotion down the corridor to the right, so they chose to go to the left instead. They had walked a little ways when Kagome rubbed at her belly again.
 
“Another?” InuYasha asked, even though he knew that it was.
 
“Yeah, let's sit over there for a minute,” Kagome replied, pointing towards the small empty waiting area.
 
Kagome sat down and took long even breaths before she said, “That one's over. They seem to be getting longer now.”
 
“You want to sit here for a few minutes and time them again?” InuYasha questioned.
 
“That's probably a good idea. InuYasha?”
 
“Hum?”
 
“Can I ask you something?”
 
“You're my mate. Of course you can,” InuYasha replied softly.
 
“When I would go to my doctor's appointments, I would hear all of these horror stories from other women about their husbands. They would get into fights, their husbands would threaten to leave them, or they would threaten to leave their mates. I know I've been irritable with you at times, even a bit crazy once or twice, but not once did you lose your temper. How come? But wait a second before you tell me, ok…now,” Kagome said.
 
“You really want to know?” InuYasha asked hesitantly after he clicked the watch. He didn't want to make her mad.
 
“Yeah, I do. Why didn't we have some of the problems they did? We certainly don't know any more about going through a pregnancy than they do. Some of them are on their second or third child,” Kagome responded.
 
“Sesshomaru warned me what might happen early on,” InuYasha answered.
 
“Sesshomaru? Did Kichou go through this? I didn't think demons have emotions like we do,” Kagome replied.
 
“They're different, they have more control, but apparently they do have them. He mostly told me about Rin. They went through it when she was pregnant with Shippou's kits. Sesshomaru told me it could be similar to the effects that your birth control shot had on you so I would have some warning,” InuYasha said.
 
“Is that why you told me you love me so much, when you rarely did before?” Kagome asked.
 
“I told you I love you because I do, but Sesshomaru did tell me that I needed to let you hear the words rather than just show you. I discovered that once I learned to say it, it wasn't as hard. I had stopped myself from saying it for so long that it was difficult when I really wanted to.”
 
“Wait…now,” Kagome said.
 
InuYasha stopped the watch. “We're down to three minutes. You want to time the length of the next one?”
 
“Yes, I guess we had better. Then maybe we should go back and let them know they are already getting closer together,” Kagome replied.
 
“So did Sesshomaru tell you anything in particular about Rin?” Kagome asked.
 
“Well, he did mention that when she was in labor the first time that she told Shippou she would cut it off if he came near her again.”
 
Kagome giggled, “I'm surprised Sesshomaru didn't do it for her when she turned up pregnant.”
 
“That's what I said,” InuYasha responded with a grin.
 
They sat in silence while waiting for the next contraction. They didn't have to wait long. InuYasha heard, `now' and started the watch again. He stopped it when he heard his mate say, `Okay.'
 
“They're up to a minute long now. I guess we should head back and let them check you again,” InuYasha said as he stood.
 
Kagome just nodded as her mate helped her to her feet. Taking his arm, they headed back towards her room.
 
 
After Kagome and InuYasha left the room, Mama turned to the doctor, “So how is she really, Dr. Tanaka?”
 
The doctor replied, “She's in excellent shape. Your daughter has done everything I have asked her to in order to prepare for this birth. She is in good physical shape and she actually was able to carry the twins longer than most human mothers do. She's obviously going to have the normal pains of labor and delivery, but hopefully she will progress quickly. Her mate has also given her a lot more support than many males do. That has helped a lot with her attitude. I know she's a bit irritable and irrational right now, but that is to be expected. All we can do now is to wait for nature to run its course. I have a couple of other patients I should check in on while I'm here, so I will be back in a few minutes.”
 
Kichou watched the door close behind the doctor before she turned to her mate. “You mean you could feel some of the pain when I went into labor, and you never told me?”
 
“Considering everything that happened when I arrived home, it did not seem important,” Sesshomaru responded.
 
“How far away were you?” Kichou asked.
 
“Do you remember the cave behind the waterfall?” Sesshomaru asked.
 
“You were that far away?” Kichou replied in astonishment.
 
“That is why it took me so long to get back home. We left before daylight but could not get back until after dark, even with Ah-Uhn. If it were not for the fact I had the others with me I would have flown straight home, but I could not leave them behind. Besides, I did not know you were going to wait for me to get there. I thought the whole thing would be over with before I got home,” Sesshomaru replied, and then added, “Though considering everything, I guess it is a good thing you waited until I arrived with the miko.”
 
Kichou just kissed her mate on the cheek. “I had no idea, but I am glad you came home, and I am glad I waited even though they were trying to get me to push long before you got there.”
 
Mama had listened to the whole exchange in silence. It was amazing to her the amount of non-verbal communication the demons had with each other, as well as her daughter with InuYasha.
 
About that time the door opened and a young woman with dark hair walked in. “Rin, I am glad to see you could come. Where is your mate?” Kichou asked, and then added, “But wait, I am being rude. Rin, this is Kagome's mother, Mrs. Higurashi. Mrs. Higurashi, this is Rin. She is like a daughter to us.”
 
Rin and Mama bowed politely upon the introduction. Mama then asked, “Were you the little girl that Sesshomaru cared for that Kagome talked about?”
 
Rin smiled as she replied, “That would be me. I was an orphan and have been with Papa since I was around eight. If you have heard Kagome talk of the kitsune Shippou, he is my mate. Right now he is home with our two kits. He said he would rather wait until later to come here. I guess he thought if I was emotional, he did not even want to be around Kagome in labor. Though he did say something about it would have been different if InuYasha still had that rosary.”
 
“Luckily, my little brother did not see the need to wear it again once he was married. It was probably a wise decision,” Sesshomaru commented.
 
“Needless to say, that rosary is right where it was left before the wedding. Hopefully, Kagome won't even remember she asked for it,” Mama replied.
 
About that time, the door opened again, and Kagome and InuYasha returned to the room.
 
“Where did Doctor Tanaka go?” Kagome asked.
 
“She has a couple of other patients here she wanted to check on. She'll be back in a few minutes,” her mother replied.
 
“Hi Rin, when did you get here?” Kagome asked as she gave her a hug.
 
“Just a few minutes ago. Kichou called and let me know what was going on, so I decided to come on over. Shippou is home with the kits. He plans to stop in later,” Rin answered.
 
Kagome groaned as another pain went through her. “They're getting stronger now and have moved more toward the middle of my belly.”
 
“Why don't you use the bathroom one more time before you get back in bed,” InuYasha said quietly.
 
“Good idea,” Kagome replied as she let him help her to the bathroom.
 
Kagome came back to join the others. InuYasha was helping her out of her robe and back onto the bed when her mother asked, “Kagome, has your water broke yet?”
 
“I don't think so, Mama. There hasn't been a flood, and I haven't been leaking other than what the doctor said I should be. As far as I know, everything is still there,” Kagome said as she gritted her teeth with another contraction.
 
InuYasha went back into the bathroom and retrieved a washcloth. Once he wet it, he came back to wash the sweat that was starting to appear on Kagome's face and neck. Kagome just closed her eyes as InuYasha tended to her.
 
The doctor reappeared, “I see you are back. How are you doing?”
 
“The contractions are getting longer and are closer together,” Kagome replied.
 
The doctor placed her stethoscope on Kagome abdomen and listened from several different points, “Their heartbeats still sound good, no sign of stress. If the gentlemen will please leave the room, I want to check and see how we're progressing. This may take a few minutes if you want to go down to the waiting area.”
 
Rin took Sesshomaru and InuYasha each by an elbow. “I will go with you and keep you out of trouble.”
 
Sesshomaru just raised an eyebrow.
 
 
InuYasha led them down to the still empty waiting area that he and Kagome had found earlier. Once they were seated, Rin asked, “Okay, InuYasha. Papa still has not told me how he came to be able to tie my lifespan to his, so you can tell me.”
 
InuYasha flushed at the question - it was a bit personal after all. Plus, he was getting along with his brother so well. He really didn't want to rock the boat right at the moment, so he looked at Sesshomaru to see what his reaction was.
 
Sesshomaru just sighed and said, “Go ahead.”
 
“You sure you don't want to tell her? She's your ward,” InuYasha asked.
 
“But it happened because you were claiming your mate,” Sesshomaru added.
 
“But you were included because you claimed me as your brother,” InuYasha said.
 
“Are either of you going to tell me what happened?” Rin asked.
 
InuYasha was starting to turn a pretty shade of red. “Rin, did you know that Sesshomaru had to be present when I claimed Kagome as my mate?”
 
“He did? How come? No one was there when Shippou claimed me,” Rin responded.
 
“It was because Kagome had been raped. In order to verify that her mating was not forced, Sesshomaru had to attend. He also helped break my skin so that Kagome could mark me. Her teeth would not have been sharp enough to draw blood,” InuYasha continued.
 
“So what did Midoriko and the Shikon no Tama have to do with anything?” Rin asked innocently.
 
“That was the only thing Kagome was wearing when we marked each other. I marked her and then she marked me at the same time. While we were marking each other, Sesshomaru simultaneously decided to claim me as his brother and mark me as a welcome member of his pack. So, I had my fangs buried in Kagome's shoulder, Kagome's teeth were in mine along with Sesshomaru's fangs in the other. We're not exactly sure how or why, but the actions combined purified the Sacred Jewel. Midoriko appeared to us and told us that Kagome would be bound to me so she would have my lifespan, and that Sesshomaru would be able to find happiness and his true mate. Midoriko also told him that he could bind you to him if he marked you as he did me. After that she disappeared since her soul had finally been set free,” InuYasha answered.
 
“Wow, all of that happened when the jewel was purified?” Rin asked.
 
“Keh,” InuYasha replied.
 
“Papa, why did you wait so long to mark me?” Rin asked.
 
“I wanted to make sure you were old enough to understand. Plus, I was fairly certain that once I went through with it, your rate of growth would be drastically slowed down. I wanted you to be mostly mature before I marked you so you had a chance to grow up properly. You were always such a proper young lady that it did not seem right to want to trap you into the body of a little girl, not knowing how long it would be before you could grow up under those circumstances,” Sesshomaru replied seriously.
 
“I understand, Papa. And having one kitsune that didn't really want to grow up probably had nothing to do with it,” Rin answered with a crooked grin.
 
“Well, there was that,” Sesshomaru agreed.
 
Kichou appeared around the corner about that time. Sesshomaru started to get up, but Kichou motioned for him to sit back down. “InuYasha, you might want to go and see if you can help. Kagome's water just broke and she is miserable and everything is wet. They have to change the bedding, and she needs help cleaning up.”
 
InuYasha just nodded and ran back down the corridor.
 
 
InuYasha didn't know what to expect when he ran into the room. It had been awhile since he could really tell what his mate was feeling due to the jumble of emotions she went through as her hormones raged and waned.
 
Kagome was soaked from below her waist down. The bedding had been soaked, and the nurse and orderly were quickly changing it out. They were trying to tell Kagome it was all right - that sort of thing happened all the time. They had pulled out a clean and dry gown for her to change into, and Mama was looking in her bag for a new pair of socks to keep her toes warm.
 
InuYasha didn't say anything at first, but went over to her mother and reached in and pulled out a pair of socks, and took the gown from the nurse. InuYasha then went over to his mate and kissed her on the cheek. “Come on, Kagome. We'll get you cleaned up.”
 
He took her into the bathroom and closed the door. He could tell Kagome wanted to cry.
 
“Kagome, what's wrong? They said this happens all the time. It had to happen before you could have the pups,” InuYasha said gently.
 
Kagome wrapped her arms around her hanyou, “I was just so embarrassed, and everything is soaked.”
 
InuYasha tilted her head up and kissed her on the mouth very softly. “At least it was here at the hospital. It could have been at brunch.”
 
Kagome's eyes opened wide. “It could have, couldn't it? I guess that would have been more embarrassing than this. At least these people were expecting it.”
 
“That's my girl. Are you ready to get cleaned up now?” InuYasha said with a smile.
 
“All right. I'm sure I'll feel better when I'm clean and dry again, at least for a little while,” Kagome replied.
 
InuYasha helped her out of the wet gown and socks and then into the shower. It had a nozzle on a hose so he was able to adjust it and use it to rinse Kagome off all over. He then took a fresh washcloth and the antibacterial soap and started to clean at least her legs and feet, careful not to get too close to her pubic area as Kagome's cervix was now wide open to anything. Once he was finished and was satisfied that she was completely rinsed off, he took a towel and dried her completely.
 
“Okay, are you ready to go back out, or do you want to use the bathroom one more time before you get back into bed?” InuYasha asked.
 
“I'm okay for now. Losing all of that fluid seems to have helped my bladder at least a little. Besides, I think the doctor had better check me again, the contractions seem to be getting longer and closer together,” Kagome replied.
 
“You're hiding it well,” InuYasha commented.
 
“Only because you were concentrating on cleaning me up,” Kagome responded.
 
InuYasha looked up at his mate and realized her face was quite flushed. He took her arm and opened the door to lead her back out to the bed. Everything had been cleaned up and was back like it was when they first arrived. Feeling much better, Kagome let InuYasha help her back onto the bed and try to get comfortable.
 
InuYasha went and got another clean washcloth and wet it before he returned to Kagome's side. He could tell the pain was getting more intense in addition to lasting longer and closer together.
 
Since it was once again just Mama and InuYasha along with the nurse and doctor in the room, the doctor told Kagome she wanted to check her again. She was at about six centimeters when her water broke, so she was expecting things to move along now. Like Dr. Tanaka had said before, it appeared the hanyou twins were anxious to make their début into the world.
 
“All right Kagome, you are in good shape. You're blood pressure is still good and your fluid was clear like it was supposed to be. Your other tests we ran are all normal. You are up to seven centimeters now so you only have a few more to go. You can go and walk around the corridors some more with your mate or mother if you would like to. Moving around can actually help make you more comfortable. You probably still have another hour or more before you are fully dilated and ready to deliver,” Dr. Tanaka told her.
 
Kagome nodded as she clenched her teeth again. InuYasha and her mother helped her swing around and then steady her on her feet.
 
“InuYasha? Would you mind if I walked with Mama a bit?” Kagome asked her mate.
 
“All right, but be careful. Call if you need me,” InuYasha replied as he kissed her on the cheek.
 
InuYasha watched as Kagome walked out of the room with the support of her mother. When the door closed behind her, he turned to the doctor, “Is she really all right?”
 
Dr. Tanaka nodded. “She is in excellent shape. She did her best to do everything that I asked her to. It also helped that you have given her so much support. Many youkai males just believe the birthing should be up to the females, and they should stay out of it.”
 
“I'm just hanyou, not a full youkai,” InuYasha said quietly.
 
“That's what is even more amazing. Very few hanyou have fertile seed. Most of them are sterile since they are a cross between two species. You're an Inu-hanyou?” Dr. Tanaka asked.
 
“Keh. My brother and his mate are full Inu-youkai. We have the same father, but obviously my mother was human. And what do you mean, most hanyou are sterile?” InuYasha asked quietly.
 
“It is not uncommon for two different species that have certain similarities to produce offspring, but most of the time the offspring are sterile. It is very rare for a hanyou such as yourself to be able to produce children. You should consider it a blessing. Do you have any idea why that is? What makes you different?” the doctor asked. “Your mate is also the only one that I have ever seen marked by both the human and youkai side of their hanyou mate.”
 
She really was interested as it was a problem that plagued youkai society.
 
“Our father was an incredibly powerful Inu-youkai, so my youkai is much stronger than the average hanyou. It can actually take over my body if I'm not careful. However, I did learn to release it to help when we mated. My brother had told me how to control my seed like a full demon. He thought my youkai was strong enough that it could work. I was far more demon than human when we mated when Kagome was fertile,” InuYasha replied with a blush. “I can keep control over it when I'm with her if we are not threatened.”
 
“What happens if you're threatened?” the doctor asked.
 
“Let's just say there would be no help for either the human or youkai that threatened me or my mate. I kill without hesitation or fear,” InuYasha said softly.
 
“Oh,” the doctor said. This hanyou was indeed different than any she had ever come across.
 
 
Kagome was talking quietly with her mother as they walked through the corridors.
 
“Mama, do you remember what it was like when you had me and Souta?”
 
“You were a lot like your twins. I don't think you could wait to come into the world. You were about two weeks early. We had gone out with some friends for dinner. I actually managed to make it through my dinner and was ready to order dessert when my water broke. I was like you - I thought the jolts I was feeling were just you kicking again. Sometimes it felt like you were trying to do acrobatics in my stomach.” Mama laughed, and then continued, “Your little brother was much quieter. He waited until almost his exact due date and then took his time coming out. They kept telling me that the second child was usually faster, but not Souta. I don't think he wanted to come out at all. He kept me up all night and into the next morning before he finally decided to make an appearance.”
 
“These two feel like they are either kick-boxing or having a sumo match all of the time. Kichou was the one that put two and two together. I should have known something was different when InuYasha started hovering over me like a mother hen. I mean he watches out for me anyway, but I thought he was going to go to the ladies' room with me if he had to.”
 
Kagome had to pause for another contraction. “Wow, that one was really strong. Maybe we had better start walking back.”
 
Mama nodded and guided Kagome around for the trip back down the corridor to her room.
 
This time they had to stop several times for the contractions to pass and Kagome to catch her breath. She was practically gasping when they finally made it back to the room.
 
“Doctor, will you check me again? The contractions are getting a lot hard….er,” she finally finished.
 
InuYasha and Mama helped her back on the bed. She lay back as the doctor measured her again, “Oh yes, you are just about ready. Who do you want to be with you for the delivery?” The doctor reached over to push the button to let the nurse know to come back and make sure everything was ready for the delivery of the twins.
 
“Mama and InuYasha, I think,” Kagome said.
 
InuYasha looked a bit green. “Are you sure you want me here, Kagome?”
 
“Oh yes, you help put them there, you can be here when they come out. Besides, Sesshomaru was there for Kichou and they usually didn't even allow males in the birthing rooms back then,” Kagome replied.
 
InuYasha was thinking that was a good rule.
 
Mama tried to ease his nervousness. “Don't worry, InuYasha. You can stay there by her head. Hold her hand so she has something to squeeze and help wipe the sweat from her face like you were doing before. The doctor and nurses will do everything else.”
 
“Keh. I can do that,” InuYasha said. `I hope,' he thought.
 
“Someone had better go and tell the others that she's almost ready,” InuYasha said. “They are in the waiting area just down the hall.”
 
“You stay here with Kagome, I'll go and let them know,” Mama said. “I'll be right back, Kagome.”
 
“All right, Mama.”
 
“Are you certain you don't want anything for the pain, Kagome?” the doctor asked.
 
“Nooooo…argh…” Kagome replied. “Didn't you say it really wasn't a good idea if I could manage without it? It could slow down the delivery? I don't want to do anything to do that.”
 
“They do seem anxious to come out,” the doctor remarked.
 
Mama had come back in and just made it to Kagome's side when she gasped, “I think they're ready NOW!”
 
“Kagome, the first one is starting to move down. Take slow breaths and when the next contraction starts, I want you to push with it. InuYasha, you help support her when she pushes,” the doctor instructed.
 
Kagome seemed determined to help the first pup into the world. With each contraction, she pushed as the doctor ordered. A nurse was supporting each leg to help with the delivery.
 
“All right, I can see the head, now just pant with the next contraction, Kagome. We don't want the pup to come out too fast,” the doctor told her.
 
InuYasha pinned his ears to his head with the shriek that Kagome gave as the head passed through. The doctor immediately suctioned out the pup's nose and mouth while waiting for the next contraction to help push the rest of the body through. One of the nurses was ready and waiting to take the newborn to clean it up as soon as it was cleared.
 
One more shriek and the first pup was delivered. Kagome lay back panting as InuYasha wiped her face and neck as he tried to see what was going on.
 
“Congratulations, you have a baby girl,” the doctor said as she clamped and cut the cord. The nurse then took her to get her cleaned up.
 
A few more shallow contractions and the afterbirth and the placenta were all delivered as well.
 
While they were cleaning up the afterbirth and other fluids Kagome had expelled, they brought her baby girl to her.
 
“Wow, she looks just like you, InuYasha!” Kagome exclaimed.
 
The little girl did indeed look like her father. She had silver hair and ears and tiny little claws on her fingers and toes. When she finally opened her eyes, they were amber.
 
“She's beautiful,” Mama told Kagome as rubbed the top of the little silver head.
 
“She's most unusual,” the doctor remarked.
 
“What does that mean?” InuYasha said with a growl.
 
“Nothing bad - look at her back on her right shoulder blade,” the doctor said.
 
Kagome held her pup while Mama pulled the little blanket she was wrapped in down. “A birthmark that looks like your crest?”
 
“Huh?” InuYasha asked as he got where he could see.
 
The pup had on her right shoulder blade a red crescent moon that matched the mating mark InuYasha had placed on Kagome - twice.
 
“Wow, I didn't know that was possible,” InuYasha said with wonder.
 
“InuYasha, your youkai must indeed be strong. It is rare enough for a hanyou to be fertile, but I've never seen one that marked their get as you have,” Dr. Tanaka responded.
 
“You better put this one in a safe place, I think I'm ready for the next,” Kagome gasped as the contractions began again.
 
They took the girl and put her in the warmed basinet that was waiting to receive her while Kagome worked to deliver the next. It wasn't nearly as difficult as the first since everything had already been prepared by the birth of the first.
 
“All right Kagome, you have a boy,” the doctor proclaimed as she took care of the umbilical cord.
 
The nurse took the second pup to clean him up as Kagome expelled the last of the placenta and afterbirth and then the doctor checked everything over to make sure she was in good condition.
 
When the boy was presented to his mother, Kagome exclaimed, “He looks like you, too, InuYasha.”
 
And he did, but as InuYasha in his human form with one major exception - little black ears on the top of his head.
 
“He's beautiful, too, Kagome,” Mama said as she ran her fingers over the tiny claws that were at the end of his little fingers and toes just as his sister. When his eyes opened, they were almost black.
 
InuYasha was in awe at the entire thing.
 
“That one is marked as well, but in a different location,” the doctor remarked.
 
Mama started to pull down the blanket as Kagome held him, but the doctor said, “Oh, you'll have to look lower than that.”
 
They finally spotted the red crescent moon - in the middle of his little left butt cheek.
 
All InuYasha could think was that he was never going to live this one down.
 
 
To be continued…