InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Blood & Tears ❯ Sesshomaru's Journal ( Chapter 36 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha but I do own Kaminari, Kaiho, and the lovely Kichou.
 
AN: Thank you to those of you who have taken the time to leave a review. I do read them and they help to inspire me to keep writing.
 
Blood & Tears
 
 
Chapter 36: Sesshomaru's Journal
 
Kagome and InuYasha were happy to be home from the hospital. Mai had everything ready for them when they came home on the third day with the twins. Mama was with them as well for a few days to help out. She had assured Kagome that Souta would be perfectly all right with his grandfather for a few days. Kichou and Rin also came over to see if they could be of any help. They had wisely left their mates at home for now.
 
Kagome had worried about bringing their two infants out in public at first, but realized that if they were seen for now it would not be a problem. They each had a little knit cap to wear as infants usually did, and it served to hide their ears quite well. Their little claws were so tiny it wasn't apparent they were claws unless you really studied them. They had no teeth yet so fangs weren't a problem. However, Kagome and InuYasha knew they would have to speak to Sesshomaru about concealment charms for the both of them before long.
 
While the naming ceremony would be held in a few days when the infants were one week old, the hospital had been given their official names for their birth certificates. InuYasha and Kagome had decided on Nishimoto Aimiko for the girl and Nishimoto Aki'ichiro for the boy. And while InuYasha and Kagome had made the request that the birth not be publicly announced, they still warned the guards of their building to once again be on the lookout for reporters and cameramen. It was bound to leak out sometime that there had been a birth in the Nishimoto family.
 
 
InuYasha realized very quickly that Kichou's idea to secure a nanny was probably a good one. Mai was going to be busy enough just trying to keep up with the household and laundry - especially laundry. Kagome had always worried about picking up after herself in the past. She did not see any need to add to the pollution problem of the present, so Kagome had insisted on cloth diapers. With twins, they were going to go through a lot of diapers. InuYasha also did better with the cloth diapers than the puffy disposable ones. Once he learned to fasten them properly (thank the kami for Velcro), he started getting pretty good at it.
 
InuYasha just thanked the kami for the Diaper Genie - it really did work quite well, even for his sensitive nose. Normally they were used for disposable diapers, but Mai said that she would be able to figure out how to use it with the cloth diapers. It turned out it wasn't that difficult. They had ended up with two, one for the liners and one for the diapers. There was a wicker basket for the diaper covers to go into that needed to be washed. However, when InuYasha saw just how many diapers they were going through with two pups in just a day, he decided to call a diaper service. Mai couldn't spend all of her time in the laundry room.
 
InuYasha had also discovered if he used the vapor rub that Kagome had to rub on her chest when she had a cold and couldn't take any medicine, it helped protect his nose from the toxic fumes of the diapers. InuYasha would put a dab under each nostril before tackling the problem at hand. He ascertained that if it worked for those people on television that were looking at dead bodies, surely it would help with baby poop.
 
Of course there was that interval of time between the birth and the discovery of the vapor rub. The first day home Kagome caught her mate running for the door with the diaper held as far away from him as his arm would reach, and his other hand clamped over his nose. He was headed for the balcony. Wondering what he was up to, Kagome followed him outside, though she couldn't move very fast yet. She caught him at the edge of the terrace, wavering between dropping the offending object over the side or just dropping it on the balcony.
 
“InuYasha, don't you dare drop that over the side of the building,” Kagome said, trying not to laugh.
 
“But…but what am I supposed to do with it? The nurses at the hospital always took them away so I wouldn't have to smell them,” InuYasha whined.
 
“InuYasha, that's what the Diaper Genie is for. Just drop them in there and it will seal the odor away,” Kagome responded.
 
InuYasha cringed. “In the house? Are you sure?”
 
“Everyone tells me they work really well, InuYasha. Of course they probably haven't been tested with your nose, but there's no time like the present,” Kagome said as she went back inside and motioned for her mate to follow her.
 
InuYasha looked skeptical as Kagome flipped up the lid and had him put the diaper in. She showed him how to twist it, and the diaper was gone. He could still smell it somewhat, but most of the odor was sealed away. InuYasha sighed in relief.
 
Mama was in the doorway watching - her hand over her mouth trying not to laugh. Mama did have to admit she was amazed. InuYasha was taking full responsibility in trying to help with his pups, which was not something that was common for the males of his era.
 
Rin and Kichou had shown up about this time as well. Since no one had answered the door when she rang, Kichou assumed they probably had their hands full and let herself and Rin in since Kagome and InuYasha knew they were coming over. They were there just in time to witness InuYasha learning to use the Diaper Genie.
 
“Wow, I'm amazed,” Rin said, startling Kagome, InuYasha and Mama, who were preoccupied and had not realized that Kichou and Rin had come in.
 
“What do you mean?” Kagome asked.
 
“InuYasha's nose is much more sensitive than Shippou's, yet he actually changed a diaper?” Rin questioned.
 
InuYasha looked hopeful. “You mean I shouldn't be doing this?”
 
“Oh no, InuYasha. These are your pups, you can certainly help change them,” Kagome answered, and then asked, “Didn't Shippou help you?”
 
“Are you kidding? All he did was whine about the smell and say that males didn't do those kinds of things - it was women's work. Thank goodness Kichou helped me find a nanny to help,” Rin commented.
 
“Mentioning that, Kichou, do you think you could help us find one?” InuYasha asked hesitantly. He had not really discussed it with Kagome.
 
Kagome almost looked hurt. “InuYasha, you don't think…”
 
“No, Kagome. It isn't that. But this is just our first day home and I can tell how tired you already are. Your mother can't stay with us forever because she has Souta and your grandfather to take care of. Mai has her hands full with the household. The nurses at the hospital were really a big help, and I think it would a good idea to have someone like that here to help you. It won't be much longer before I'm ready to go to work for Sesshomaru. I need to provide for you and the pups,” InuYasha said softly.
 
Kagome knew he was right. As helpful as her mate was to her right now, she knew he needed to go out and find a way to provide for them even though he didn't have to work. InuYasha would not be happy staying home all of the time, he needed to get out and be actively involved in something. Kagome also knew, at least for now, she would be happy staying home and taking care of their pups.
 
“You're right, InuYasha. Twins are a lot of work. Mama will have to go back home at some point. Kichou, if you know how to help us find a good nanny, one that knows something either about Inu or hanyou, we would be grateful,” Kagome said.
 
“I'll be glad to help. Do you want me to locate some possibilities and sort through them to find a few for you to interview?” Kichou asked.
 
“We trust your judgment. That would be a great help,” Kagome replied.
 
The rest of the day went pretty peacefully with all of the help that they had. InuYasha was grateful that he didn't have to change another diaper that day as the ladies gladly did it. They also had an excellent lunch and dinner thanks to Mai. Mai had made sure to stock up on food before the twins and their parents arrived home from the hospital. Though she would leave in time to join her own family for dinner, Mai left a pot of Oden cooking for them to eat later when they were ready.
 
Mai said goodnight to everyone and InuYasha went to help her with her coat. He walked her to the door and made a point to thank Mai for all of the extra work she had done in preparing for their arrival and with the twins. InuYasha knew she and her husband were struggling taking care of her sickly mother, so he had also slipped an envelope with extra cash into her purse when she wasn't looking. He also intended to give her a raise now that the twins were here.
 
 
They made it through the night with some help from Mama Higurashi. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the set of lungs either infant had, though InuYasha and his keen hearing would usually hear them before they really started crying. He would let his mate know it was time, and would go and tend to whichever was fussing the most. Kagome would sit in her nursing chair and put the now cleaned and changed baby to her breast while InuYasha changed the other. He would soothe the second infant until the first was through eating, and then hand his charge to Kagome as her mother would take the one that was now happily fed and content. InuYasha knew they would have to learn to juggle the two themselves before too much longer. Even with a nanny, he couldn't expect someone that was not family to be there twenty-four hours a day.
 
They were pleased to see Mai earlier than usual the next morning. She startled InuYasha when she came in by giving him a quick hug, and then quickly apologized for overstepping her boundaries. He just blushed and told her it was okay. InuYasha assumed she must have found the cash and was thanking him.
 
Kagome was just curious as to what had just happened. Mai was usually so proper and rarely had any physical contact with either of them. Kagome would ask InuYasha later what that was all about.
 
 
They had just changed the infants and fed them again when Kichou and Sesshomaru arrived the following morning along with Kaminari and Kaiho. InuYasha turned bright red. This could only mean one thing.
 
“Good Morning, Little Brother. We have come to inspect your pups and record them as well as you. I also need to record Kagome's second marking,” Sesshomaru said.
 
“What do you mean, Kagome's second marking?” Kaminari asked.
 
“InuYasha placed a new mark on her when he mated with her when she was fertile. As long as we are recording the pups and InuYasha, we might as well make an official record of that as well,” Sesshomaru answered.
 
“What was the point of the second marking?” Kaiho asked.
 
“Oh, I think you will understand when you see it. It was very effective in masking when Kagome was fertile from me. It also makes a pretty clear statement that InuYasha is her mate,” Sesshomaru responded.
 
InuYasha just blushed.
 
Kaminari and Kaiho were anxious to see the pups. Neither of them had ever heard of a hanyou either bearing a family crest or marking their offspring with one. Of course as InuYasha had found out, it was extremely unusual for a hanyou to be able to produce offspring at all. Then again, as Sesshomaru had decided, there really wasn't anything ordinary about his half brother.
 
Mama and Mai were curious about the recording ritual, and asked if they could remain. Kagome told them they could for the pups, but after that, she wasn't sure it was such a good idea. InuYasha was going to be embarrassed enough. She thought that she should insist that only his brother and Kaminari, along with herself, be there for that one.
 
Kaminari held the ancient journal for Sesshomaru as the Demon Lord picked up the first pup. He started with the girl since she was first born. Sesshomaru gently examined her and put her back in her crib before he took the journal from Kaminari and wrote down the date of the entry, her date of birth, general description and markings. He then repeated the procedure with the boy. Once he was satisfied he had written down everything that needed to be recorded, he handed the journal to InuYasha to read. InuYasha nodded and handed it back to his brother to sign. Kaminari signed as a witness.
 
“All right, Kagome, you're next,” Sesshomaru said.
 
“Me?”
 
“I need to record the second marking that InuYasha placed on you,” Sesshomaru told her. She had not heard their previous conversation since she was busy with the pups.
 
“Oh, all right,” Kagome slightly blushed.
 
Kagome dropped her robe off of her shoulder and pulled her hair aside to reveal the mark that InuYasha had placed over Sesshomaru's mark. Kaminari and Kaiho's eyebrows disappeared into their bangs. Neither had either seen or heard of anything quite like that one.
 
Kaminari chuckled. “He was certainly making a statement, wasn't he?”
 
“It is really interesting the way that turned out, isn't it?” Kaiho asked, and then turned to Sesshomaru, “Youkai can still tell she is marked under your protection, but you say it masks when she is fertile from you?”
 
“Quite effectively. I can still pick up other feelings from her, but not that, at least not very much. Apparently, InuYasha's youkai half knew to do it, but you can see his human half made a statement as well,” Sesshomaru responded.
 
Sesshomaru looked at his brother. “You were right, InuYasha. I do not think you have ever done anything in the expected manner.”
 
“All right, Kagome. I think that is all we need from you,” Sesshomaru continued and he looked to his brother again.
 
InuYasha flushed a deep red again. “Why do you want to see me butt naked?”
 
“`Butt naked?' Now there is an appropriate statement,” Sesshomaru laughed.
 
InuYasha whined, “Do we really have to do this?”
 
“Yes, Little Brother. I should have done it within a few days of your birth. It is time for me to correct my oversight,” Sesshomaru responded.
 
“It wasn't an oversight, you didn't want to have to see me,” InuYasha said quietly.
 
Sesshomaru sighed. “I know, Little Brother. But the fact remains that you are just as unusual as your pups and it really should be recorded.”
 
Kagome took InuYasha's hand. “Come on, InuYasha. Let's go into our bedroom. Surely only Sesshomaru and Kaminari need to see this.” While Kichou had certainly seen her mate naked, Kagome really didn't see the need for her mother, her housekeeper, or Kaiho to see him nude. Fortunately, Sesshomaru was willing to abide by her wishes and nodded.
 
Kagome led InuYasha and the other two males into their bedroom. Kaminari closed the door behind him. InuYasha just took a deep breath and then stripped out of his clothes.
 
Kagome found herself holding her breath as she looked at her beautiful naked husband. She hoped she didn't become aroused with the other two males in the room with them. Poor InuYasha, he did look embarrassed with this whole ordeal.
 
Sesshomaru had the journal and was circling him to record his features, including his ears, eye color, claws and fangs.
 
Sesshomaru was standing behind InuYasha, staring at his butt. InuYasha blushed deeper as he felt his brother's eyes boring into him. Sure enough, InuYasha bore the crescent moon of their father, right where Kagome said it was.
 
“Bend over, I want to get a better look at it,” Sesshomaru stated.
 
InuYasha groaned but complied. His flush was moving from his face down his body toward his toes, so that made the scarlet crescent moon stand out brighter.
 
Kaminari just stared. He had no idea either that the hanyou son of the great InuTaisho bore the mark of their family. He also wondered out loud, “I am starting to think that these are not all a coincidence.”
 
“What do you mean?” InuYasha said from where he was bent over as Sesshomaru took his time sketching his butt and the placement of the mark.
 
“I mean that not only one of Lord Sesshomaru's pup's bears the mark there, but both you and your son do. It almost appears to be a family trait,” Kaminari commented.
 
“Okay, InuYasha, I am finished,” Sesshomaru said, and then continued, “Well let us look. The family markings for many generations are recorded in this journal.”
 
“Can I get dressed now?” A bright red InuYasha asked before Sesshomaru was totally distracted.
 
“I do not know, should we have you release your youkai and record those markings as well?” his brother asked.
 
“NOT a good idea,” InuYasha stated.
 
Kaminari asked, “I thought you have control of it?”
 
“I do, when mating with Kagome. I don't know how I will react if I release it to find two adult males here with my mate and my new pups in the next room. I just don't think it would be a good idea to test me. I have control to a certain extent, but it still isn't anything I want to mess around with,” InuYasha stated seriously.
 
“You are right, InuYasha. It would not be worth taking the chance. Besides, both Kaminari and I have witnessed the transformation; I can record those markings from memory. Would that be satisfactory?” Sesshomaru asked.
 
“If I can put some clothes back on,” InuYasha replied. “Kagome can help you as well, anyway. She's certainly seen me that way enough the last few months.”
 
“All right, InuYasha. We will wait outside for you. You can get dressed,” Sesshomaru told his little brother.
 
They closed the door behind them and Kagome wrapped her arms around her mate. “I know that was hard for you, but I'm proud of you, InuYasha.”
 
“Oi wench, you'd better be careful or I won't be able to go back out there,” InuYasha said with a smile. He was still butt naked, after all.
 
Kagome reached up and pulled his face to hers for a soft kiss to his lips. “I'll make it up to you later. I do love you, my mate. Maybe it will be a little while before I can really be with you again, but we can improvise.”
 
InuYasha kissed her again. “I can wait. I love you too, mate.”
 
Kagome turned her lover loose so he could pull his boxers and clothes back on. Since he had no plans of going anywhere, he was just dressed comfortably in sweats, anyway.
 
They rejoined the others to find Kaminari and Sesshomaru sitting next to each other on the sofa going through the journal.
 
“You are back. InuYasha, here is the record of Father's mark. He bore his in the same place as your daughter, over his right shoulder blade on his back,” Sesshomaru told him as they continued to go back through the journal.
 
“Well what do you know,” Kaminari stated.
 
“What is it?” Kagome asked.
 
“It was your grandfather. He bore the mark on his right butt cheek, and it was scarlet just as yours is InuYasha,” Kaminari said as he continued to read.
 
Sesshomaru kept pouring through the pages of the journal. It looked like every other generation or so, the mark would appear on one butt cheek or the other. Sesshomaru finally sighed and closed the journal.
 
“What is it, Sesshomaru?” InuYasha asked his older brother.
 
“It looks like you were following in the family tradition,” Sesshomaru responded.
 
“What does that mean, exactly?” InuYasha asked.
 
Kaminari answered, “It looks like the one really making a statement was Lord Sesshomaru. He is the first recorded with the mark on his forehead for everyone to see. Though I am not really sure if it was his statement or your father's. He was very proud of Sesshomaru as his first-born son and heir.”
 
They sat silently for a few minutes when Mai came to ask how many were staying for lunch. Kagome told the others they really needed to try Mai's excellent cooking, so they agreed to stay. She could also tell that InuYasha was starting to feel a bit cooped up. “InuYasha, you want to go up and stretch your legs?”
 
“You don't mind?” He asked his mate.
 
Kagome kissed him on the cheek. “I don't mind. You've been such a big help. Go up and take a run. You'll feel better.”
 
She turned to their guests. “I hope you don't mind, but InuYasha really needs some fresh air and to stretch his legs. He's going up and taking a run for a few minutes.”
 
Sesshomaru asked, “Do you mind if Kaminari and I come out with you? We could use the fresh air as well.”
 
InuYasha just nodded and headed for the terrace door. Sesshomaru turned to his advisor. “Come on, you should see this for yourself.”
 
InuYasha was already a blur when Kaminari and Sesshomaru reached the roof and sat on the bench near the stairs.
 
“He is really fast, isn't he? I had no idea a hanyou could have such speed,” Kaminari commented.
 
“That was part of what started to change my mind about taking a mate. The strength and speed he possessed when he had to protect the miko was unreal, and that was before he took her as his mate. That bond only made him more powerful. Kaminari, what would you say if I told you Kichou wanted to have more pups?” Sesshomaru asked softly.
 
“I know she talked about it in the past with her mother. She had always wanted more, but knew you were afraid after what happened during the first birth. If you were comfortable with it now, I would not try to discourage her. She is older, but for a demon, she has hundreds of years left in her. Her mother only recently became too old to bear any more pups. I was always sorry that I could not offer her what I knew she wanted,” Kaminari replied seriously.
 
“Between the antidote that our daughter has helped to develop, and the fact that the miko is nearby now, I told her we could if she really wanted to. I am sure Kagome would attend just in case anything happens. Part of the problem in the past was that I knew InuYasha had made the decision not to return after that last trip. I could not blame him because it would have been too dangerous in those times for all of them. It was years before the youkai truly gave up trying to find the miko with the Sacred Jewel, and many hunted hanyou just for sport. The pups of a hanyou and miko would have been sought after targets,” Sesshomaru said.
 
InuYasha had completed an uncountable amount of laps around his roof and had finally slowed down and joined his brother and Kaminari. “What's up?” he asked, not even out of breath.
 
“I was just telling Kaminari that Kichou would like to have more pups,” Sesshomaru said.
 
“I'm not surprised,” InuYasha answered. “I've seen the way she looked at Kagome when she was pregnant and now the pups. What do you want to do?”
 
“Do you think your mate would be willing to attend again?” Sesshomaru asked seriously.
 
“Keh. You know she would. Besides, she wouldn't be pregnant this time. We have our hands full for a while. She's already told me she doesn't care what her body tries to tell me, she won't be ready for more until these are at least a couple of years old or more. She made it clear no more fertile seed until she verbally tells me she's ready,” InuYasha responded.
 
“Thank you, InuYasha,” Sesshomaru said as he rose to go back inside.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
In the past, Honoo had a new plan to try to get back into Sesshomaru's good graces (he wasn't bright enough to figure out he was never there, anyway). He came up with a brilliant plan to have Rin kidnapped, and then he would be the one to find her and save her.
 
So far, everything was going as planned. Honoo knew that the little girl ran and played all over the estate grounds with the kitsune who was nothing more than a small kit. The fox child shouldn't be any hindrance at all. In fact, he would just grab them both if he had to. Honoo had crept onto the grounds during the night when he knew that the guards would be changing. They were always distracted as they talked with one another as the new guard came on and the other prepared to leave his post.
 
Honoo had found a place near the gardens where Rin and Shippou preferred to run and play. He had settled into a hollow and was hidden by several trees. He had fallen asleep when he heard the voices of the two children.
 
Honoo was startled from his sleep when he heard the voices so close to him.
 
“Close your eyes, Shippou. I'm going to hide,” Rin said.
 
“Are you sure they're closed? You aren't cheating are you?” Rin called as she ran towards the woods.
 
“No, Rin, I'm not cheating,” Shippou said as he peeked through his fingers.
 
What luck! The girl was running straight towards his hiding place. She didn't even seem to see him as she jumped behind a tree and turned to face the direction Shippou would be coming from.
 
Honoo crept up behind Rin and grabbed her, placing his hand over her mouth. He wasn't very careful however, and let out a yelp when Rin bit down on his finger. He yanked his hand away out of instinct and Rin yelled. Shippou was already almost there and ran when he heard her. He took one look at the hooded assailant with Rin in his arms and jumped to latch onto the arm Honoo was holding Rin around the waist with his sharp little teeth. Honoo yelled and turned Rin loose. The last thing he heard was “FOXFIRE!” as Shippou blasted him.
 
Shippou had been practicing and was getting quite good with his foxfire. Even Rin looked astonished as her attacker's clothing went up in flames. They last they saw was Honoo running screaming from the grounds in the direction he had come from. The guards were so startled at the flaming torch that ran by them that Honoo was able to escape.
 
The guards were expecting certain death when they reported directly to Sesshomaru and Kaminari what had happened. They had failed to apprehend the intruder as they had been ordered to when he tried to flee. What they did not expect was the chuckle they swore they heard from Sesshomaru when told him the attacker smelled like a roasting Inu as he ran by. They were dismissed to return to their posts and look for any further signs of intruders.
 
Sesshomaru was chuckling as the door closed behind the two guards. “It appears that your brother got more than he bargained for. I just wanted to catch him trying to take Rin, but it sounds like Shippou did a pretty good job on him. Reward the kitsune who have been training him, and let Rin and Shippou in.”
 
Kaminari opened the door and told the waiting Rin and Shippou they could come in. He closed the door behind him and went to find the kitsune who had been training Shippou.
 
Rin waited until the door was closed to run and jump in the lap of Sesshomaru. “Papa, you were right! He is a coward. I knew he would not hurt me because you told me he wanted to take me unharmed. Did your plan work?”
 
Sesshomaru looked at the little girl. “When did you start calling me Papa?”
 
“She's been calling you that for ages, just not to your face,” Shippou answered for her.
 
“I am sorry, My Lord, I did not mean to offend you. I was excited,” Rin said sadly.
 
“Does it make you happy to call me Papa?” Sesshomaru asked softly.
 
“Yes! My Lord,” Rin replied.
 
Sesshomaru pulled her to him in a hug. “Then you may do so, at least in private. It might not be a good idea in front of the courtiers, though. All right?”
 
“Thank you, Papa!” Rin exclaimed as she wrapped her arms around him (at least as far as they would reach).
 
Sesshomaru turned to Shippou. “You did well today, Shippou. I understand Honoo was a flaming torch as he ran from the grounds. Hopefully his burns will keep him grounded for a few weeks.”
 
“I'm sorry I couldn't stop him. I thought you wanted to catch him,” Shippou replied.
 
“This may have been even better. The guards said he smelled like he was roasting as he ran, and burns take a long time to heal, even for an Inu. The more skin that was affected, the longer it will take. The blood does not reach the outer body as well as it does for cuts and broken bones and the like. I do not think we will have to worry about him again for some time. No Shippou, you did well protecting Rin. You should also thank those who have been training you in your abilities,” Sesshomaru told the kitsune.
 
Shippou grinned so that his little fangs grabbed his lip. “Okay, I will. May we go?”
 
Sesshomaru pulled Rin to him in one more hug. “You may leave. We will see you both for lunch.”
 
Rin hopped down off of Sesshomaru's lap, took Shippou's hand, and ran out the door.
 
Sesshomaru just smiled and shook his head.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
When the pups were seven days old, everyone came over for the naming ceremony. Mama brought Grandpa and Souta, and Rin and Shippou, along with Kaminari and Kaiho, came with Sesshomaru and Kichou. It was Mai's day off, but even she had come and brought her mate with her. Kagome and InuYasha had heard her talk about Jin, but had not actually met him before. They each bowed politely to him as Mai introduced him.
 
Everyone found a seat for the naming ceremony, even though it would be brief as there were only two pups. Sesshomaru had his journal so that he could record the names.
 
InuYasha held up his daughter who had grown quite a lot in the last week. “This is our daughter, who was first born. Her name will be recorded as InuAimiko. The name on her birth certificate is Nishimoto Aimiko. We have decided to call her Aimiko.”
 
“That's beautiful, InuYasha,” Kaiho said. “She was born of your love for each other. What better than `beautiful love child' for her name.”
 
InuYasha handed the girl to her mother and picked up his son, who was also growing like a weed. “This is our first-born son. His name will be recorded as InuAki. The name on his birth certificate is Nishimoto Aki'ichiro. We have decided to call him Aki.”
 
“Another good name, Aki for autumn, and `ichiro' for first son,” Kaminari said as Sesshomaru wrote everything in the journal.
 
No one needed the explanation of `Inu,' it was clearly a sign of their heritage expressed by the little ears on their heads.
 
Sesshomaru had handed the journal once again to InuYasha to double-check before he signed off on it. InuYasha nodded and handed the journal back to his brother. Sesshomaru signed it and then handed it to Kaminari to witness.
 
“Now that the ceremony is completed, I think it is time we took you out. You have not been out of this apartment since you came home,” Sesshomaru stated.
 
“I…I don't know. I don't think I'm ready to go out yet with the pups,” Kagome said. “Plus, their claws are becoming a bit more obvious and hats are harder to keep on them. I'm afraid to take them out.”
 
Kichou smiled. “We have the answer for that. Here you are.”
 
Kichou handed Kagome two small bracelets, each were the stretch type popular for babies. The one for the girl was made of beads of red and white, with her name, “Aimiko” on it in little silver blocks. The one for the boy was alternating red with black beads that were more masculine. His name, “Aki” was also spelled out in little silver blocks.
 
“Those should last them for some time. They stretch and are practically unbreakable. Even Rin and Shippou's kits were not able to break them when they were little. And they really tried,” Kichou said.
 
Kagome hugged Kichou. “They are beautiful, thank you.” She passed them to InuYasha to see as well.
 
“But are you certain? What if I have to stop and breast feed or we have to change diapers?” Kagome asked.
 
“You have a diaper bag you have not been able to use yet, so now is your chance. I have secured a private room at the club where you met our pups so it will not be a problem if you have to breast feed. Do you have a nursing blanket?” Sesshomaru asked. Even in a private room, he wasn't sure that Kagome would want to expose herself to everyone here.
 
Kagome nodded, she was already wearing her nursing bra and a top that was easy for her to work with. She would put the nursing blanket in the diaper bag in case it was needed.
 
Mai and Jin excused themselves. While they were invited, they felt out of place among all of the family members. Mai made the excuse she promised her mother they wouldn't be gone too long. Kagome walked Mai and her mate to the door and thanked them for coming.
 
Which reminded her. InuYasha had followed her into the bedroom to change before they went out.
 
“InuYasha?”
 
“Hum?”
 
“The other day, when Mai hugged you. What was that about?” Kagome asked.
 
InuYasha could tell she wasn't mad, just curious. “I guess she was thanking me.”
 
“For what?”
 
“I probably should have told you, but I assumed you would agree with me. She worked so hard to help prepare for bringing the pups home that I slipped her some extra cash. I put it in an envelope and dropped it in her purse when she wasn't looking the day before. I also want to give her a raise now that the pups are here,” InuYasha responded.
 
Kagome wrapped her arms around him and hugged him. “That's one of the reasons I love you InuYasha. You always seem to think about everyone else. How are you doing? I feel like I've been neglecting you.”
 
InuYasha wrapped his arms around her and held her tight. “You've had your hands full. You are taking care of our pups so you don't need to worry about me. I'm all right. It makes me happy just to have you and our pups here with me. It wasn't that long ago I never thought I would have a mate, much less a family.”
 
Kagome hugged InuYasha tighter before she finally turned him loose. Wiping the tears from her eyes, she said, “I guess we'd better hurry. They're waiting on us.”
 
 
Mama and Kichou had already prepared the pups for their debut to the outside world when Kagome and InuYasha emerged from the bedroom. Kagome warned her brother and grandfather they were going to a private club where most of the members were youkai, so they would need to behave themselves since most of the youkai were not concealed while there. Kagome also wanted to make sure her grandfather didn't have any hidden sutra anywhere.
 
They reached the club without incident and were walking through the dining room, following the hostess through the club when Kagome saw a familiar face approach them. Sesshomaru and InuYasha both felt the flash of fear that went through the miko as she recognized the demon they had met briefly five centuries ago. Sesshomaru turned to her and said quietly, “It is all right. He will not ask questions. It is not his way.”
 
“Lord Izumioka, it has been a long time,” Kagome greeted him with a bow.
 
“Indeed it has. How have you been?” Lord Izumioka asked pleasantly.
 
Sesshomaru answered for her, “She had pups one week ago. This is their first time out since the birth.”
 
“Congratulations. You have true hanyou pups?” the Demon Lord asked. He could tell from their scent.
 
Kagome grabbed InuYasha's hand; he had started a low growl.
 
“I meant nothing by it. It is just most hanyou only seem to be able to sire pups in their human form if at all. I apologize if I offended you,” Lord Izumioka stated.
 
“It is all right, he's just a bit protective is all,” Kagome responded as she squeezed her mate's hand.
 
“That is a good thing. You have a good mate,” Lord Izumioka stated before he excused himself.
 
Kagome breathed a sigh of relief as the Demon Lord of the Northern Lands went on his way. “That's the first time that we've come across anyone we know outside of your family.”
 
“Izumioka is based out of Sendai. He comes to Tokyo on business when he needs to. He is as honorable as he ever was, so you need not worry about him,” Sesshomaru responded.
 
They entered the private room the hostess had led them to and were pleased to see that all four of Sesshomaru and Kichou's offspring were there as well. Mama and Grandfather both were honored to meet four such renowned members of the Nishimoto family. Souta was impressed at meeting four more youkai. He was a little young to understand the accomplishments that each of them had made.
 
Their first venture out with their pups turned out to be quite enjoyable. For the most part, the pups were good, but everyone understood when Kagome went with her mother and Kichou to the ladies' room to change them and then came back and covered herself up to breast-feed them. Kagome found herself relaxing as she realized that no one was staring or thinking anything unusual about it. They did seem to appreciate that she covered herself up. Apparently some demon mothers were not the least bit inhibited and just plopped their breast out in full view to feed their young. Sometimes that was just more than you really wanted to see at dinner.
 
 
They were sitting around the table visiting with each other when InuYasha could feel a longing in his mate. “What is it, Kagome?”
 
“I worry about old Kaede and the others. How do you think they are doing? When do you think we could take the pups to visit? I know Kaede will want to see them and know how we are doing, too,” Kagome said softly.
 
“When are we supposed to have them blessed by the old priest?” InuYasha asked.
 
“When they are at least a month old,” Kagome replied.
 
“Why don't we go after the blessing? We will already be at the shrine, and they should be big enough by then to withstand the trip to the village, even if it is cold. We'll just make sure to bundle them up good. Would that be all right? I'll feel better if they are just a little older,” InuYasha responded.
 
“All right, InuYasha. Who knows, maybe Sango and Miroku will have decided to return to the village for the winter by then,” Kagome said.
 
InuYasha leaned over and kissed his mate. “Then let's plan on it.”
 
 
To be continued…