InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Bored With Mine Borrowed Yours ❯ The Party part 1 ( Chapter 28 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha or its characters. The very talented Rumiko Takahashi owns him and the entire cast. (Except for the characters I made up.) Also I do not own Keeper of the Stars by: Tracy Byrd, I'm not certain who does. Nor do I own Ain't no Mountain High Enough by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell, again I don't know who does. And the rating may be wrong (It's rated for safety) but it will NOT go higher.
By: year of the snake (at fanfiction) (aka.) crescentmoon (at mediaminer)
Chapter Twenty-Eight
 
The next day after Shirah's mom got off work `Shirah' convinced her to take her shopping for a dress to wear on her date.
They were lucky, they found a great one and it was on sale! Bonus!
Ginta joined them at the mall for supper. Then they all went back to Esmaralda's, Ginta's and Shirah's Mother's apartment.
Nothing abnormal happened with `Kisa' that day.
On Saturday Shirah's mother helped the young woman she thought was her daughter get ready for a few hours. “You look really good Shirah. I can't believe you're going on a date with Kouga! Oh I bet he's still as handsome as the last time I saw him!” She whipped out a digital camera, one of her few luxuries. Then she took several pictures of her `daughter'.
Ginta had to leave before his sister so he told his mom, “Let Kouga know I'll boot him to the moon if he hurts Shirah. Okay mom?”
“Sure.”
He then rushed off to meet the lovely Ayame.
A while later Kouga showed up. He saw `Shirah' sitting on the ratty couch all dolled up and could barely hold back wolf call. “Wow. How is it that every time I see you, even if I only look away for a second, you grow in beauty?” Kouga was completely serious.
“Ah Kouga, you've acquired a silver tongue. What a flirt!” Mrs. Abbott held up her camera and got a picture of them sitting together on the couch. “Not that it isn't sweet and romantic. But I must warn you that if you hurt my daughter you'll pray every second of everyday that I don't find you.”
She snapped a few more pictures. Then she sent them on their way. “Have a good time and have her back by 10:30. Any later and I'm coming after you.” she warned.
“Bye mom.” `Shirah' hugged the kindly woman.
“See you later sweetheart.”
“That's a really nice dress.” said Kouga as her held the car door for her.
“Thanks. It makes me kinda feel like a salsa dancer.”
Kouga chuckled. She really did look good in that saucy dress. It was modest AND she still looked breathtakingly good.
Meanwhile with `Kisa'
`Man, this place is boring! And they've been playing the same 12 songs for the last,' she looked at the clock on the wall, `hour 45 minutes! Let's move on shall we?' she thought in-between contemplating banging her head on the table. Inuyasha had disappeared nearly the second they arrived. Kagome went to find him and is also now MIA. Sesshoumaru? She looked at him. He was still talking business with yet another old business man. `The only way it could get less lively in here is if we all died.' She sighed resting her head on the table. `I should have brought a book or something to do.'
Another 15 minutes later Shirah spotted someone in a red dress. Not that that was uncommon, there were at least three other ladies in red. It was who was in the dress that caused her to look like someone tied a board to her back. “Kisa!” she whispered.
Shirah couldn't approach to warn her while Kouga was on her arm and yet if she didn't Sesshoumaru might recognize her. `What to do? What to do? I know I'll wait for an opportunity and pray it's not too late.' She got up and sorta trailed them. Hiding in and out of the crowd.
Kisa and Kouga's conversation.
“Kouga are you sure it's a good idea to be here? What if someone realizes we're not on the guest list?”
“We'll be fine.” He looked around for a few minutes. There was a dance floor but many people were using it as a talking ground. Others were talking at the buffet table. The only one who was not talking or eating, that he saw was the dj who was looking franticly all over his work station. “I'm sorry Shirah. I thought that this would be more fun.”
He looked so disappointed that Kisa couldn't help saying, “We'll hang in here for a while maybe they're just warming up. I'm sure it will get better.” She smiled. She had come to these things before she knew it wouldn't get better.
Still he brightened. “You think so?”
“Yeah.”
After a handful of minutes Kouga left Kisa alone and `Kisa' approached her. “Hey Shirah.”
`Shirah' turned quickly. “Kisa!... Oh no.” `If `Kisa' is here that means…' Her eyes rapidly found Sesshoumaru. “We're in deep trouble.”
“I thought Kouga was taking you someplace fancy tonight, why'd he bring you here?”
“He thought it would be fun. If I had known he was going to crash a business party I would have talked him out of it.”
Shirah sighed. “I really don't want you guys to leave, I've been abandoned. But I know it's for the best. Yet if you're going to stay try to stay out of Sesshoumaru's and Inuyasha's direct gaze and we should be fine.”
“You got Inuyasha to come!” she whispered excitedly.
“Sesshoumaru threatened him with totaling his precious car. That's why he's here or at least he should be. Kagome's his date.”
“Kisa who's this?”
Both girls jumped. “Sesshoumaru you scared us!... This is Beverly.”
Kisa mumbled about needing the restroom. Then she ran off.
“Sorry about that Sesshoumaru. She's shy and she was just telling me how cute she thinks you are.” She smiled; kind of a nervous twitch and a smile mixed in one.
“Hmn. Have you seen Inuyasha anywhere?”
“No. not since we got here. Why?”
“He has sabotaged the dj's music.”
“Huh?”
“He replaced the dj's music with dance club music.”
“But this isn't dance club music, it's classical.”
“This was on when we got here. It was the only one he didn't get.”
“How do you know it's him?”
“The music case has Miroku's name on it.”
“Oh.” She thought for a bit. “Umm. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad to put some of that music on?”
“Don't be ridiculous.” He walked away.
By some miracle Shirah found Inuyasha before Sesshoumaru. “Inuyasha, Sesshoumaru's going to kill you if you don't fix the music problem.”
“Hey, I did fix it! This classical cr… crud is boring.”
“True enough. But is it worth dieing over?”
“You are not going to convince me to give that guy's music back. These old goats need to loosen up.”
“Inuyasha… Fine.”
“Fine?”
“Yes fine. I agree with you. But you still need to make it better.”
“I'm not…”
“I'm well aware, Inuyasha.” she cut him off. “You have to dance with me and we'll see if we can't make it better.”
“Huh?”
“Come on.” She dragged him away from Kagome.
She spoke kindly to the dj and got him to agree to play the better songs in the case. She also got him to let her borrow his mike.
“H-Hey everyone.” She spoke as confidently as she could. Everyone turned to look at her. “H-hello.” She smiled. “Someone has replaced our dj's music, which is why these songs have been playing over and over again. Well…” she took a deep breath. “We're going to make the best of this turn of events. We're going to have what is called a snowball dance. In case someone here doesn't know a snowball dance starts with a few couples and every time the music stops the dancers leave their partner and ask someone else in the crowd to dance. This goes on for a couple of songs. Are there any volunteers for the first set?”
People just stared at her. `Kisa's' heart started to really pound. She tried to keep the heat from her face.
Three women who felt sorry for her dragged their husbands up with them. Shirah mouthed a thank you to them.
“Okay let's start it off with a nice love song.” said the dj. The first song he put on was The Keeper of the Stars by Tracy Byrd.
The four couples, including Inuyasha and `Kisa' started to dance.
“Inuyasha, I'm just curious but why does Miroku own so many cds or whatever they use.”
“For a while he wanted to be a dj, hired for dances and things. So he got all the stuff for it then decided he didn't want to do it.”
“Oh.”
The music stopped. “Okay everyone find a new dance partner and come out on the dance floor.”
Inuyasha went straight to Kagome, who dragged him back to the dance floor. All the husbands, because of their wives loving threats, found new partners, as did the wives.
Shirah went to an older man, likely a grandfather to teenagers and asked him to dance. He was a grouchy old man who hated music that came after the 40's and early 50's. He was about to tell her off when he looked into her eyes. There he saw that she was nervous. She was smiling but she was metaphorically shaking with nerves.
“Okay.” he answered. She helped him off his chair and the people around him started to breathe again.
“What are you doing?” Sesshoumaru demanded.
“I'm about to dance with this gentleman.” Sesshoumaru followed them to the edge of the dance floor.
“I meant,” he gestured to the dj.
“Oh. Hopefully salvaging this party.” she said unsurely.
“You butt out young pup. This young girl has more guts than you can imagine. And I'd like to dance with her before the night is through.” growled the old bear demon holding `Kisa's' arm. They made it on the dance floor before the dj started the music again. He must have been waiting for them.
“I must warn you that I'm not used to dancing with a partner.”
“I'm fast for all my old age, I'll be out of your way if need be.” he replied.
She grinned at him sincerely.
“What's your name girl?”
“Kisa Nishi.”
“I am Brawswick Mason.”
“Nice to meet you. Thanks for standing up for me.” she blushed as she said that. “Though I doubt my brother would have done anything to me.
“Ah, I thought your name sounded familiar. You're InuTaisho's youngest. How is that old coot?”
“He's fine I guess. He's been gone for a while.”
The music stopped. “Thank you for the dance,” she said.
He just huffed and shuffled back to his seat. There was no one else here he would want to dance with. He grumbles all the way back and long after he sat down about the music these days and the kids who listened to it. But mentally he made an exception of a timid girl who tries her best to be brave.
Sesshoumaru didn't bother her for the rest of that first song or the next. Which `Shirah' and Kouga joined without being asked to `snowball', they wanted to dance with each other first. The new song was Ain't no Mountain High Enough by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell.
They too helped build the `snowball' when the music stopped.
The snowball dance ended with that song.
A few really stuck up people didn't like this whole thing and had a sour look and/or disposition and words about it. Yet most of the guests loved it. Once the idea of actually dancing at a party sunk in that is.
The dj started to play songs. When he got more comfortable with it he would sometimes say who asks who, or to dance with someone you haven't yet.
When the snowball dance was over Shirah slunk away from the dance floor.
Sesshoumaru stood by her just staring at her, it was unnerving. All through one song and 30 seconds into the next she fidgeted under his gaze.
“Is something wrong?” she inquired unable to stand his stare any longer.
“No.” He turned and walked away.
Kisa shook her head. `The way he was staring at me was… intense? Not the right word. But whatever was turning cogs in his brain could not be good.' Her thoughts returned to the eyes that had been staring at her. His eyes had been trying to pick her apart, trying to divulge the secret(s) he knew were hiding there.
When she finally pushed that from her mind she went to the buffet table. She needed something to do to waste her nervous energy. And with any luck keep her mind from returning to that dangerously unsettling look.
“Hey Cinderella,” said some guy standing across the table from her. When that didn't get her attention he waved his hand in front of her inattentive eyes.
“Huh? Umm yes?”
“What's got you bugged?”
“What?”
“Why are you spacing out?”
“Oh.” She looked toward the dance floor to avoid his eyes as she lied. “Nothing much.”
“Ah, I see.” He nodded. “You want to dance.”
Her eyes flashed back to him. “No that's not…” `If I tell him that's not it he might ask what it is. I have not better excuse.' “Am I that transparent?”
He smiled crookedly. “Yes.” He placed some unidentifiable `delicacy' on his plate. It looked like a giant spider made out of something equally disgusting.
“You should try one of these, they're really good.”
“Ahhhh… No. I think I'll stick to things I can identify.”
He laughed. He was tall and extremely lanky, his laugh suited him. It was a tenor, which held little depth. “If I told you what it is you defiantly wouldn't eat it.”
“Good to know.” `So it doesn't only look disgusting it is.'
“I'm Bop Hopplings.”
“Kisa Nishi.” They shook hands over the candle-floating punchbowl.
“Nice to meet you.” they said at the same time. `Kisa' looked stunned. Then she started laughing. He soon joined in.
He invited her to eat with him at a nearby table. They talked a little about nothing of any real interest. Until…
“Hey there's a white haired guy staring at you.”
`Kisa' looked over her shoulder. Sure enough Sesshoumaru was staring at her. “That's my brother. I have no clue why he keeps staring at me. Maybe I should go talk to him.” Thought she, “What an unpleasant thought. At the moment he's so intimidating.'
“Not just yet.”
“Huh? Why not?”
“Lets have a dance first Cinderella.”
Shirah flushed. `Cinderella? I don't know whether to consider that a compliment or an insult.' was her thoughts as her blush told that she had already taken it as a compliment. `Kisa' got a somewhat hidden uncertain look on her face. `No need to fear I am well protected.' She took a stuttering breath. `Face this like Kisa.' “I don't know... Cinderella only dances with Prince Charming. Are you he?” She smiled at him with a darkening blush. `I can't believe that came out of my mouth!'
His black eyes widened. Then he grinned. “But of course. The reason you can't tell is this is a masque ball.”
Her smile dropped, then after a second or two she grinned widely and ducked her head. “What proof do you offer?”
“Nothing but a gallant dance.” As soon as that came out anyone could tell he was thinking, `That was stupid! Why'd I say that?'
“Yes, I would have to be gallant to dance with you.”
“Ow. Cinderella has quite a mouth.” He grinned again, looking at her shining, red lips.
Shirah blushed realizing what he meant. “I suppose I can give you one dance. But I warn you now Cinderella is a klutz.”
He walked her to the dance floor. He watched his feet and counted the steps. “Sorry.” he said when the dance was almost over. “I'm still learning.”
His nervous smile prompted `Kisa' to say, “Oh no. the fact that you're willing anyway is very brave, and a little endearing.”
The song ended and he smiled sincerely at her. “Thanks for the dance Cinderella.”
“No, thank you.” She turned and left him on the dance floor. Shirah took a deep breath and walked toward Sesshoumaru. On the way there Kouga who was going to get some water for Kisa, bumped into Shirah causing her to fall to the floor.
 
10211021102110211021102110211021102110211021102110211021102110211 02110211021
 
Hi everyone! I am sorry if this is late! I really had fun writing this chapter. And if you have even have as much fun reading it as I did writing it I'll be sublimely happy.
 
Please tell me if you enjoyed it. Tell me parts you liked. Tell me your thoughts on what happens, tell me what you think happens next. Tell me how mad you are at me for ending the chapter there. You can even just say hi. But please review. Thank you.
Bye-bye!