InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Breaking The Habit ❯ Chapter 2: You Don't Own Me ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2: You Don't Own Me

"Don't tell me what to do / Don't tell me what to say / An' please, when I go out with you / Don't put me on display / You don't own me."

-You Don't Own Me, Leslie Gore

"Oh, hell no."

Kagome span away from her reflection in the mirror to confront a very angry-looking Inuyasha. "SIT!!!"

Inuyasha fell to the ground with enough force to shake the windows in their sills. Outside, Miroku shook his head.

"I told him we should knock first," Miroku said, hand raised at the door.

"You told him?!" Sango exclaimed, smacking Miroku across the shoulder. "You wished him luck in finding her changing!"

Miroku rubbed his arm absently then smiled. "Obviously he must have had luck," he chuckled. "I'm surprised Kagome hadn't sat him earlier."

Sango raised her hand and knocked. "She *had* been trying to control herself," Sango said pointedly. "She was starting to feel sorry for him."

"Really?" Miroku asked.

Sango narrowed her eyes at him, not liking the tone to his voice, but smiled when Kagome's brother opened the door.

+~+~+~+~+~+~+

"What the hell was that for?!" Inuyasha asked, standing.

"How many times have I told you to use the door? And knock?!" She turned around to find that his eyes were intent on her, but obviously not on a word she had said. Oh, he wasn't as obvious as Miroku but the furrowed brows, the pursed lips, the slightly twitching left ear and especially the movement to his nose gave him away. He was checking her out! `Well,' she thought to herself, shrugging mentally. `He's male, after all.'

She smiled mischievously as a thought crossed her mind. It wasn't her style usually, but…`Oh, what the hell?' she thought.

Slowly, oh so slowly, she let her hands trail down her body, fixing the way the clingy material fell over her shoulders, stomach, hips and over her butt. She even devoted some time to smoothing out the delicate white flowers stitched along the edge of the skirt just above her knees. Just as she thought, his eyes followed her hands everywhere they traveled. When she spoke, her voice was calm even though her heart was anything but.

"See something you like?"

Inuyasha's head snapped up so quick, if he would've been human, he might have gotten whiplash.

The blush on his cheeks made Kagome smile, and she raised an eyebrow, as if waiting for his answer.

"You're not going out like that," he said, his voice just slightly hoarse.

Kagome sighed, the smile fading, and turned back to the mirror. The dress was simple: black silk with a halter neckline that ended at her throat with thin silver straps that could've been strings. The straps encircled her neck and tied at her nape. She looked at Inuyasha through the mirror and remembered why she loved the dress but had never had the courage to wear it. The back of the dress was non-existent, leaving the flesh of her back completely visible from her nape to the dip at the small of her back where the silk once again hugged her hips and wrapped around from behind. She obviously couldn't wear a bra but what came as a surprise to her when she tried it on was that she would have to wear a thong as underwear…that, or none at all. Presently the cloth followed the curve of her butt flawlessly, the thong making no indentation at all and surprisingly comfortable. The straps that had tied at her nape had turned into delicate silver bands which dangled down the center of her back invitingly, reaching almost to the edge of the skirt. The almost imperceptibly cold touch of it teased her skin when she thought about it, not knowing when it would touch her, when she would feel it.

Inuyasha's hand itched to touch the softness of her skin, his palm was cold and wanted to feel the warmth of her body. The curve of her back was flawless and inviting. `Damn wench,' he thought, gritting his teeth and digging his nails into his palms, finally meeting her eyes in the mirror.

"You are *not* going out like that," he repeated slowly through his teeth.

She chuckled a little. This as fun. "Why not?" she asked innocently putting on earrings. "You seem to like it."

He crossed the distance between them in the blink of an eye. He stood inches away from her. "Change…*now*."

His voice was low, gruff, and dangerous. Kagome looked into his eyes and saw such intensity…the type of intensity he got when he was fighting, but not just fighting for something, but fighting to protect. She briefly thought about giving in, about changing…she hadn't been sure she could pull off the dress anyway. She had only been so angry that Inuyasha had tried to control her that she wanted to rebel a little. And maybe, she had thought, maybe putting on the dress would have been rebellion enough. She had almost been ready to take it off and put on something more sensible when Inuyasha came barging in, demanding things. She narrowed her eyes at him, coming to a decision.

She pursed her lips, getting ready to speak. "No," she enunciated clearly. "I thought we had already established that you don't own me or tell me what to do?" She stared defiantly in his eyes. "If that's all you came here for, you might as well leave."

The knock on her door stopped whatever Inuyasha was about to say but it didn't stop him from growling when she called out for the person to enter.

Kagome looked at her door over Inuyasha's shoulder as it opened to see Sango walk in carefully.

"Are we interrupting something?" Miroku asked, looking at their position pointedly.

"Yes," Inuyasha replied without thought.

"No," Kagome glared at him. She tried to look at Sango to have a conversation with her, but couldn't get at her properly through the wall of Inuyasha. She shoved at him absently, but when he didn't budge, she went back to glaring at him. "Do you mind?"

"The monk is *not* going to see you like that."

Kagome had forgotten about her dress. Miroku would have a field day with it. `Of course,' she thought. `Inuyasha is covering me from view with his body.' She smiled and pushed at him again. "A lot more people than Miroku are going to see me in it, so you might as well get used to it." When he didn't seem inclined to move, Kagome sighed. "Don't make me say the `S' word again, Inuyasha," she warned. He narrowed his eyes, but otherwise remained motionless. She opened her mouth and as she took in air to speak, Inuyasha backed away from her.

It had been his best choice. He knew that even if he placed a hand over her mouth the muffled command could still activate the enchanted beads and make him hit the ground yet again. He had tried that once. He would give her this round. Instead, he glared at Miroku before moving completely away, giving the perverted monk a full view. Miroku smiled at him innocently until he caught sight of Kagome. His mouth slowly opened to form a neat little `o' and his eyes widened.

"Miroku…" Inuyasha growled.

Miroku paid him no heed and Kagome found herself a little self-conscious but liking the attention nonetheless. She twirled on her bare feet, making the chain down her back dance, her hair sway, and giving Miroku a chance for a full inspection. She looked at him over her shoulder. "What do you think?" she asked. She turned and extended her arms, looking at Sango. "Does it work?"

"That is a killer dress, Kagome," Sango smiled.

Kagome grinned. "You really like it?"

Sango nodded.

Miroku stepped up to her and took her hand in his, bowing over it. "Gods, you are exquisite." Kagome blushed deeply at his earnest declaration. He grinned at her. "It is a shame you won't bear…" he stopped as Kagome rose her eyebrows at him.

"Don't make me hit you, Miroku," she warned. "You'll only ruin it."

Miroku smiled sheepishly and walked away.

"What are you all doing here?" she asked them beginning the search for her shoes.

"That's a stupid question," Inuyasha said cynically.

"We came to protect you, lady Kagome," Miroku answered.

Kagome looked out from her closet where she had been hunting for her shoes. "I thought you said my time was safe?"

"Safer," Sango cleared up. "But we don't know when this demon might strike."

Sango jabbed Miroku in the ribs and called his attention back from looking at Kagome as she knelt by the bed, searching under it for her shoes.

Kagome looked up to see the black strappy sandals dangling in her face. She followed the arm to see Inuyasha glaring at her. "What?" she asked, taking her shoes. "Thanks," she flashed him a quick smile and sat on her bed, crossing her legs to be able to get them on.

Kagome looked up to see Inuyasha smack Miroku on the head. She smiled.

"You see why you need to change?" Inuyasha asked, pointing to Miroku's grin.

Kagome stood. "He's not sneaking a look at me bathing, nor is *he* sneaking into my bedroom without knocking," she said, pointing at him. Inuyasha found it strangely disconcerting that with the shoes she had put on, she was almost his own height. Still, he looked down at her the best he could. "So long as he keeps his hands to himself," Kagome continued, "he can look at me clothed all he wants."

Miroku coughed to keep from laughing and Sango stared. Inuyasha seemed about to reply when she gave him her back and he was momentarily distracted by the sight of the swaying silver chain. So much so, he didn't hear Miroku come up next to him and look at Kagome until she disappeared back into the closet.

"Quite a sight, eh, Inuyasha?" Miroku asked.

Inuyasha blinked and looked at him, smacking him when he realized what he had said.

Miroku sighed and walked away. "In any event, Lady Kagome," he called loud enough to be heard. "We do not think you should be alone tonight."

"I won't be alone, tonight, Miroku," she called back. "I'll be with my friends not to mention a few hundred other people."

"But no one that could help you should Death come for you," Sango pointed out.

"Then I guess you guys'll have to come along," Kagome answered, coming out of the closet holding an outfit on a pair of hangers. She extended it to Sango who looked at them in awe. "If you don't like it, you can pick something else."

"For me?" Sango asked, taking the material in her hands and feeling it in something like wonder.

Kagome smiled and nodded. "If you guys are coming with, you gotta change." She looked at them all. "You can't go like that."

"And what shall we wear?" Miroku asked.

Kagome looked at him and laughed. "Well, I don't suppose you can wear any of my clothes, can you?"

Sango laughed suddenly at the thought. She held out the outfit to Miroku when their eyes met. "I don't know…you might look good in the skirt."

Miroku raised an eyebrow, then grinned. "Well, I have been told I have nice legs."