InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Breaking The Habit ❯ Chapter 3: Don't Stay ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: I don't own 'im, but oh, what fun we'd have if I did!

Chapter 3: Don't Stay

"Don't stay/ I don't need you anymore, I don't want to be ignored/I don't need one more day of you wasting me away."

-Don't Stay, Linkin Park

"By the Gods, Sango," Miroku exclaimed. "You look beautiful."

Sango looked a bit uncomfortable and for the first time seemed uneasy with Miroku's comments. She smiled wryly at him and then looked at Kagome. "I don't think I can pull this off, Kagome," she told her, pulling at the sides of the black leather mini skirt, which did absolutely no good since the sides were decorated with slits that went up to about half thigh. So, absently, she pulled at the black lace that decorated the bottom edge of the bustier top. This, of course, did no good since the laces that did up the bustier top held it firmly in place so that it ended just under her ribs, leaving her midriff completely exposed. It was a great outfit and Sango looked incredible in it, but she kept fidgeting with it.

Kagome took Sango's hands to stop her from pulling at her clothes. "You do look great, Sango, really. The trick to wearing this type of clothing is all attitude." She nodded at Miroku who looked composed and perfectly at ease in his black leather pants and purple, body hugging sweater. "See?" she asked, grinning. "Miroku gets it."

Sango smiled at the sight of him, but then shook her head. "I'm not used to wearing these…" she extended her leg to look at the knee high black leather boots with three inch heels. "These…" She shook her head. "I'm not even certain I can walk in them."

Kagome tried not to laugh. Sango was doing just fine. All women had an innate balance to wear high heels; it just took a little getting used to. "It's all in the way you carry yourself," Kagome told her. "You just have to believe that you have every right to wear it, which you do, that you look great in it, which you definitely do…"

"I can attest to that!" Miroku piped up.

"And what's more, that you look better than anybody else possibly could wearing those clothes…which I can promise you do since I've worn them myself," she winked.

Sango smiled. "But…"

"But nothing," Kagome insisted. "When we walk into that club, you own the place, you got it?" Kagome smiled. "You've got to have the same attitude as when you have on your exterminator armor…you feel that you belong in those, don't you?"

"Well, yeah, but…"

"You know you look good in them, don't you?"

"Well, I haven't…"

"And you know that you're the best, don't you?"

"I've been…"

"So, take the same attitude you have when you wear your armor and use it now."

Sango smiled slowly as Kagome's meaning started to become clear. She lifted her head and straightened her back, the smile was fully upon her. "I think I see what you mean." She took in a deep breath and let it out slowly, the expression of amused confusion vanishing to be replaced with a slightly more happy version of the demon exterminator. Sango had her confidence.

Kagome clapped. "Alright!"

"Have the both of you lost your minds?" Inuyasha demanded, appearing from the bathroom…still wearing his robes. "Now you're naked too," he exclaimed, pointing to Sango.

"She is nowhere near naked, Inuyasha," Kagome pointed out. "Just showing a little skin."

Inuyasha looked over at Miroku but he had a look on his face as if he had died and gone to heaven.

"Will all the women at this place be dressed like this?" Miroku asked absently.

Inuyasha would get no help from that department. "Well, whatever."

"Inuyasha?" Kagome asked, suddenly realizing the lack of different attire. "Speaking of clothes, why aren't you ready? Didn't the things fit you?"

They had fit him, all right. He just thought he looked stupid wearing them and they were uncomfortable so he had taken them off and gotten back into his robes. "I am not changing."

"You can't go dressed like that, Inuyasha," Miroku pointed out. "It will draw too much unwanted attention."

"I am not changing," he repeated arrogantly.

"Why are you being so difficult?" Kagome asked, sighing.

"Because I think it's stupid," he replied. "Having to get all dressed up in uncomfortable clothes just to go celebrate the birth of someone I haven't even met."

Kagome tried to control her temper. Fighting with him would not get her anywhere nearer to the club. "You're the one who wanted to go," Kagome tried to be reasonable. "And going is not an option with your feudal wear, which means, you have to change."

"Really?" Inuyasha rose a brow. "Are you sure your ears are working all right?" he asked sarcastically. "I never said that I wanted to go."

"Fine," Kagome said, starting to lose her patience. 'That man,' she thought, 'could always make me lose the best moods in two seconds flat.' "So don't change, stay wearing exactly what you're wearing." She grabbed her long black overcoat and shrugged into it. "Seeing as how you don't want to be there and I didn't ask you to come, that works out rather well." She grabbed her purse and handed Sango a leather jacket to complete her outfit. Sango took it wordlessly. "Don't come to the club," Kagome said meeting his eyes. "I've got enough protection with Miroku and Sango, you don't need to be there." She opened the door and smiled tightly at Sango and Miroku, motioning them through the door. They walked in a sort of daze, never having heard Kagome speak that way before. "Come to think of it," she said over her shoulder. "What are you still doing here?" she asked angrily. "You can go home now," she said dismissively.

"What the hell are you saying, wench?" Inuyasha asked defiantly.

Kagome turned to look directly into his eyes. There was a hardness there that he hadn't seen before except when she was hurt and trying to hide it. Maybe he had gone too far?

"What I'm saying is," Kagome enunciated clearly. "Don't stay."