InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Breeder's Choice ❯ Conversations ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The first chapter wasn't a happy one, was it? Well, the second chapter might get a bit confusing, mostly because it involves time skips. Don't worry. It should be noted in the story.
Breeder's Choice
Chapter Two: Conversations
It had been a week since school started.
Kagome was falling asleep at her geometry book, the equations blurring in front of her eyes. Her mind was drifting off, back to the hanyou…
She shook her head. Ayumi had spent the rest of that day ranting about how the yokai laws were set to protect, and “crackpot idealists like that insane woman should be put away.” Of course, on the first day of school, they realized the “crackpot idealist” was in their class.
“Taijiya-san!” Mashiro-sensei shouted, leaning over the sleeping form of Sango. “Do you care to join us in the lesson?”
Sango muttered something.
Sensei sighed, picked up a dictionary, and slammed it beside Sango's head.
She shot up. “Yes, sensei?” she said cheerfully, her eyes suddenly wide.
“Glad to see you awake, Taijiya-san,” Mashiro-sensei said.
“I apologize, sensei,” she said, her eyes closing again as she lost her sudden enthusiasm. “I was up all night.”
“I heard about that. Do you take pride in making the news?”
The class leaned forward. Taijiya had been on the news?
“The more coverage we get,” Sango shrugged. “No one pays attention when we're peaceful.”
“Yes… well…”
“You don't approve of my exploits, sensei?”
She said it so innocently, but there was a tone of daring in her voice.
“I'm afraid not. Your group is an advocate for yokai-rights-”
The air in the room was sucked out as each person gave a short gasp.
“-And most people do not share the same opinion.”
“It's not my fault,” Sango crossed her arms, “People are just oblivious and ignorant.”
Sensei frowned. “Have you considered the laws are in place for a reason?”
“I've studied all the facts,” she answered matter-of-factly, “Do you know why those rules are there?”
“I can imagine…”
“For the reasons they tell you. But there are others. It's enslavement! It's because we're too scared of what would happen if we gave them some freedom! Just because-”
“That is enough!” he clapped his hands together, silencing Sango mid-speech. She glowered at her teacher for a moment. During her rant she'd stood, meeting the sensei eye-to-eye, and now she slowly sat back down.
“Excuse me, sensei,” someone spoke up in the back, “But what exactly did she do that got her on the news?”
Sango smirked. “I lead a rally.”
“There will be no more discussion on this,” Mashiro said sternly.
“But they're curious, sensei,” she said loudly, “I think-”
“Honestly, Taijiya-san, I do not care what you think. One more outburst and you will be headed to the office.”
She rolled her eyes. “I'd hardly call them outbur-”
“That's it!”
The class went silent as their sensei began to shout.
“It's only been a week! And every day it's the same thing. To the office, Sango-san! I don't expect you to come back today!”
Mashiro-sensei was breathing heavily, his finger pointed angrily at the girl. She smirked and stood, gathering her books. He attempted to calm himself and motioned at Kagome.
“Higurashi,” he said, making her jump, “Will you make sure she doesn't `get lost.'”
Sango muttered something that sounded suspiciously like, “That was one time.” Obviously she wasn't risking another “outburst.”
Kagome stood cautiously, following Sango out of the room. It wasn't until the door closed behind them that she spoke again.
“What an asshole,” she hissed, not necessarily to Kagome.
“Why was he getting all uppity?” Kagome asked.
“Mashiro-sensei and I have been at it since I've started those rallies,” Sango sighed. “He'd been watching the news and one day he just came up and asked me if I needed to see a counselor. Like I was vying for attention!”
Kagome couldn't help but smile at this. Sango did like to make her presence known.
“Everyone's opposed to me starting the group.”
“What group?”
“The one I'm not allowed to mention in class.” She smirked. “Not that it matters much. As long as I keep my blog up, I'll be doing fine.”
“You have a blog, Sango-san?” Kagome's voice filled with a kind of awe, and Sango laughed.
“It's probably not one you're too interested in. You hang around with that Ayumi chick right?”
She nodded, readying to defend her friend.
“I don't completely blame her. It's not like groups that lobby for yokai freedom get much publicity. We can hardly get our message out. Not to mention I work for animal rights and whatnot.”
“Wow.”
They walked a moment in silence. Kagome wanted to ask Sango something desperately, but she kept her head bowed and her mouth shut.
“Already in trouble, Sango?”
Both looked up. A boy about their age with jet black hair and soft, dark blue eyes. He smiled at them both, walking up.
“And who is your lovely companion?” he asked coyly.
“Shut it, Miroku,” Sango sighed. “And yes, I'm already in trouble.”
“What did you do this time?”
Kagome felt his gaze rest on her a moment longer before turning back to Sango. She shuffled her feet, suddenly feeling outcasted.
“Apparently speaking your mind is a crime now.”
“I think they're doing that in the Americas.”
Sango grinned. “I was on the news last night.”
He sighed. “I wish you would stop dragging me along with you. You've already been arrested once, and my parents are hardly happy with your `activities.'”
“And what of Hachi?” she snapped suddenly.
“You know I see Hachi as a friend and nothing less.”
“Who's Hachi?” Kagome asked.
They looked at her as if they'd just noticed she was standing there.
Miroku smiled handsomely. “Hachi is a yokai who lives with us. He's very peaceful and loyal.”
“But you still join Sango-san for her rallies?”
“I force him to,” Sango said. “I'm `persuasive.'”
“Violent is more the term, Sango-chan.”
She grinned proudly nonetheless.
Miroku gave a quick bow. “I must hurry back to class. And you best do the same. It was nice meeting you, ah…?”
“Kagome,” she answered.
“Oh, Sango. I meant to ask you. Perhaps tomorrow we could hang out normally. I'm severely tired of getting rallied by the police.”
“Oh,” Sango suddenly went stiff, and the smile on her face was a strained one. “Okay. I will call you then. See you around.”
Miroku nodded and ran off.
Kagome giggled.
“What?” she snapped.
“You're blushing.”
Sango placed a hand to her cheek and bowed her head. “Shut up.”
“Is he your only friend, Sango-san?”
“Sango,” she corrected, “And, yeah. No one else can stand me.”
“I can be your friend,” Kagome offered. “So you don't have to hang out with him alone.”
Her face reddened but she nodded appreciatively. “Sure, Kagome. As long as you can keep the Ayumi girl at bay.”
Kagome just giggled again.
><><><><><><><
“What did the freak say to you?” Ayumi asked after class.
Eri and Yuka leaned in intently. They did not share Ayumi's strong opinion, but they were hot on gossip.
“She has her own blog,” Kagome recalled, “And she talked about her organization or something like that… We ran into her friend.”
“She has friends?” Eri giggled.
“One. He's kind of cute…”
“Oh, it was that Hoshi boy wasn't it?” Yuka asked, “The boy that goes through a girl a week?”
Kagome nodded. “Yeah, I think so.”
Ayumi frowned. “A bit of a misfit, isn't she?”
“I think you're too hard on her, Ayumi,” Kagome sighed, “She's really quite nice. Just… passionate.”
Her friends gave her the whatever look. Eri turned around and stretched out her arms.
“Come on,” she said, “Let's head over to WacDonalds! I'm starving!”
They were all happy to jump after her.
Authoress Notes:
Kagome's friends are brutal. But they're meant to be that way. My jab at America was my own liberal humor. View it as you wish. ((And in case you're wondering, no I don't hate the troops. I'd enjoy America if it weren't turning into a dictatorship.))
Taijiya is Japanese for exterminator. Sango's full title is yokai taijiya, but I didn't feel like giving her a “full title.” Miroku is a hoshi (monk.)
I don't know if the time skip was apparent, but it's been a bit of time. Don't worry. Our favorite half-demon will show up again soon. Ayumi's gonna play a bit of a role. I don't know how I turned her into this character, but it's my story, so it's allowed.
Next Chapter: Hojo will make an actual appearance. Sango and Miroku will get some fluff ((they're the only couple I really care about)), and Kagome wonders about what the world is really like.
Leave a review and whatever deity you worship will shine luck upon you!