InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Breeder's Choice ❯ Dreaming of You ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A third chapter?! Gasp! Eth!
Breeder's Choice
Chapter Three: Dreaming of You
Kagome didn't tell her friends where she was going the next day after school. Ayumi seemed dead set against Sango, and Eri and Yuka were ready enough to follow her lead.
Kagome… she was just curious.
Hojo, however, had no qualms about meeting Sango, as she dragged him along on a `date.' He was all too happy to do whatever she said; it was becoming slightly annoying.
They'd decided to meet at the mall; Kagome couldn't help but notice the slight look of disappointment Miroku cast as she and Hojo walked up.
Sango and Miroku were already there. Sango was sucking the life from her soda, offering a bit to Miroku who took it graciously. Kagome jumped up, her regular enthusiasm raring to go.
“I'm heart-broken, Sango,” Miroku teased, “I was hoping to spend some time alone.”
“Down, lecher,” she groaned, “Don't you have a girlfriend?”
“She's too normal.”
Kagome beamed at them. “Where are we off to first?”
><><><><><
Somehow, they'd ended up seeing a movie.
A scary one.
The thing was, while the horrific movie left Kagome clinging onto Hojo for dear life, it had left Sango exhilarated and wide awake. Hojo and Miroku had the same disgusted faces on, as if trying not to think of what they'd just witnessed.
It was closing in around nine, and Hojo realized he was late. (His parents had put up a strict curfew.) Sango promised Kagome a ride, so he ran off, leaving the three to figure out what was next.
“I'm hungry,” Sango whined. “Let's eat something.”
“To my chariot,” Miroku gave a superfluous gesture towards his car. “Where should we stop?”
“Crud,” Kagome sighed, “I should've just taken the ride with Hojo. I have to be home soon.”
“No big deal,” Sango stretched out her arms and bobbed her head. “We can drop you off. You don't mind, Miroku.”
Less of a question. It was hard not to do what Sango wanted you to. Miroku nodded, not at all daunted.
“You sure you don't want to stop first?” he asked as they climbed into his car.
“I'll get food at home,” she answered.
“If you're sure.”
As they drove off, Kagome noticed the moonless sky begin to cloud. A slight drizzle began to patter against the windows, and Miroku turned on the windshield wipers.
“I'd hate to get caught out here in a storm,” Sango sighed, “Maybe we should just go straight home.”
“It doesn't look too bad,” Miroku answered, “Or we could just go straight to my place…”
He wiggled his eyebrows knowingly; she punched him lightly.
“You live at the shrine, right Kagome?”
“Yep.” She paused, glancing out the window. “You're probably right to go straight home. It looks like the rain is picking up.”
“We might get stranded out here,” Miroku mused devilishly, “Whatever would we do?”
“Lock you in the trunk,” Sango murmured.
“Don't be so cruel, Sango. Beside we'd have to cuddle up for warmth…”
“Is that the shrine?” she said quickly.
Kagome could barely see through the rain, but there it was, atop the huge hill with the many stairs in her way.
“Do you have an umbrella, Kagome-san?” Miroku asked.
She shook her head.
“He's got about five under the seat,” Sango leaned into the backseat, rooting beneath her chair. Sure enough she pulled out a forest green umbrella.
“You can have it,” he said and turned off the car, glancing out warily. “Are you sure you can make it up there alright? Sango might go on a rampage if you get hurt.”
“I'll be fine,” Kagome smiled at them, “It's no big deal. I climb up these stairs everyday.” She hopped out of the car and opened the umbrella.
“I'll be fine,” she repeated, her words drowned out by the roar of thunder.
><><><><><
Kagome sat up.
The rain roared outside her window, like the monsters in the movie trying to claw their way in. She blinked her eyes quickly and reached for her lamp, brushing hair out of her face.
She had a bad dream.
Kagome closed her eyes, adjusting to the new amount of light flooding the room.
What had her dream been about?
`A fire,' she thought, `A fire on a moonless night. And two eyes full of hate and rage and…'
She stopped. There was a noise outside, faint in the rain, but she could hear it, like a child wailing. She perked up and slipped the covers off.
There was something that sounded like… howling?
She moved to her window, peering through the rain.
Nothing.
Her skin crawled; she shivered.
`…There's definitely something wrong out there.'
She turned quickly, grabbed the umbrella she'd taken and a flashlight, and headed outside.
><><><><><
Kagome didn't know how far she'd wandered.
A good mile, at least.
And now she was soaking wet in pajama shorts and a baggy t-shirt with no shoes on.
`I really thought this one out.'
She hit the flashlight unnecessarily, in case it decided to die on her. That happened all the time in scary movies, and she didn't want to get caught by some monster in this perfect monster-movie setting.
She heard something.
She jumped.
`I'm so paranoid.'
She'd been smart enough to take her cell phone, which she'd clipped to her shirt; the only part of her that wasn't wet.
Kagome squinted through the dark. It didn't help that her flashlight merely bounced off the rain drops, making it hard to see more than five feet in front of her. She waved the light around until she found the street signs.
`…'
She blinked.
The high school was right around the corner…
…Which meant she was about three and a half miles from her house.
(No wonder her feet hurt so much.)
She sighed and began to turn around.
`What possessed me to do this anyway?'
A bit of her dream came back to her: two eyes burning like the fire behind her, a solemn look across his face…
`But who was he?'
She shook her head and began to walk back, covering her face best she could. It was well around two and she was freezing. All she could do now was hide under her covers and get some rest.
She stopped and glanced around.
`…Did I just hear something?'
A pause.
`No. It was nothing. I'll just…'
Then she saw him.
A near lifeless form curled up beside a brick building. She couldn't get a good look at him, but he looked dead. She ran towards him, forgetting her resolve to return home.
And quickly she dialed Sango's number.
><><><><><
Sango stared at her computer screen.
People were posting at a frenzied pace; every ten seconds she refreshed the page with five new posts!
Sango sighed as she glanced at the pages she was printing out. She'd stayed up `til two again working on homework, but seeing the bloggers post so fast made her smile.
Then her cell went off.
She glared at it. Who could possibly think to call her at this time of night?
Kagome's number flashed across the screen.
“Hello?” she asked into the phone, keeping her voice low.
“Sango? It's Kagome. I need help, now! Can you get to a car?”
Sango filled with worry. “Are you alright? Where are you?”
“I'm by the school. Can you come?”
`What was she doing by the school?'
But Sango didn't asked questions. She merely gave a quick “hai!” and ran out the door.
><><><><><
“Holy hell, Kagome,” Sango whispered as she knelt down beside the young man they'd found. “What did you do?”
“I just found him like that,” she murmured defensively. “Can we take him back to your place?”
Sango sighed and held a hand to his forehead. “…I guess. It's closer. Can you help me pick him up?”
“Should we call someone?” Kagome asked.
“I think it's best we take care of this ourselves first.
Once they'd (clumsily) managed him into the car, Kagome got a good look at him. He was pale (probably from sickness), and he had long black hair that stuck to his face in wet clumps. He wore an odd, aged outfit, and there was something oddly familiar about him.
But Kagome decided not to question it.
She just wanted him to live.
Authoress Notes:
Hm… I wonder who that boy may be… I'm sure you have no idea…
((Yeah, I'm being sarcastic. It's what I do.))
Yes, Sango's a blogger. Who doesn't love posting thoughts and opinions on the internet?
Next Chapter: The girls make an odd discovery, and Miroku feels left out.