InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Broken Dreams ❯ Holding Me Back ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
InvincibleInuYasha: Ok, I've fallen in love with Inu Yasha once again. Or should I say, Miroku? lol. Anyway, I know I said I'd write other stories in between, but I had this idea and I had to get it down in writing. I'm sorry for the bazillion fans of this pairing (including myself *sob*), but I had to do this. It was just an idea I thought would be good. I'm really mean, but I didn't know I would go so far as to hurt Sango and Miroku! (boohoo!) Well, I just gave the chapter away. Read and review and more chapters will be posted!


~Broken Dreams~

Chapter One- Holding Me Back

Inu Yasha grumbled as he sat atop a branch of a tree which hung over Kaede's home. Kagome was late, yet again. He leapt from the tree and walked into the small hut, pushing the curtain which hung in the doorway. Sango was sitting near the small fire, fixing some small knicks in her Hiraikotsu which had been recieved in their last battle with an ox demon. Kilala, in her smaller form, stood on top of the opposite end of the Hiraikotsu, examining it for smaller knicks Sango couldn't see. Kaede had her back to the door as she was cooking a stew over the fire. All three of them looked up upon Inu Yasha's entrance.

Inu Yasha announced, "I'm going to go and get Kagome. She's late again and she promised to bring back more ramen." Sango rolled her eyes, "Okay. Oh, Inu Yasha, could you also check up on Miroku on your way back? He was supposed to drop off Shippo at the springs and then he said he was going to shop in the village market." InuYasha nodded, "Sure. I'll be back in a half an hour." With that, he stepped out of the hut and increased his speed when he reached the outskirts of the village.

Kaede smiled and said, "Ah, that boy is head over heels for her, isn't he?" Sango smiled back, "Yes, I think so too." Kaede chuckled, "And what about you?" Sango looked at her in confusion, "Wh-what are you talking about?" Kaede said, "Oh, you know. You and the young monk. I know you feel some things for him, so don't try to deny it." Sango grinned nervously, "I'll just get back to my Hiraikotsu..."

IIYIIYIIYIIYIIYIIY

Inu Yasha tugged a large yellow bag over the Sengoku Jidai side of the well, "I don't understand why the hell you have to carry so much shit in your bag. You don't even use half of it in your extremely short visits here!" Kagome pulled herself out of the well behind him, "I carry that stuff just in case. It has some extra clothes, food, and my first aid kit!" Inu Yasha huffed, "This had better include my ramen." Kagome brushed her skirts when she was out of the well, "It does. Happy now?" Inu Yasha grumbled, "Yes. Very." Kagome rolled her eyes, "Whatever." Inu Yasha began heading for the village when he remembered something.

"I told Sango I would pick up Shippo and find Miroku. Why don't you go back to Kaede's yourself?" Kagome said, "Okay. When you get back, I'll have some ramen ready for you." Inu Yasha said, "Good." With that, he took off in the opposite direction to find Shippo.

He came close to the hot springs and saw Shippo tying his shirt on. Shippo looked up at him, "Oh, hi Inu Yasha. Uh, what are you doing here?" Inu Yasha growled, "What do you think? I'm coming to bring you back to Kaede's. Hurry up." Shippo quickly tied one last knot on his shirt and hopped on Inu Yasha's shoulder as he sped off to the the hut, arriving in a matter of minutes.

He entered the hut, "I'm back with Shippo." Shippo leapt off of Inu Yasha and jumped on Kagome, "Kagome, you're late again! Did Inu Yasha have to get you again?" Kagome said, "Yeah. But I would have been here in an hour anyway." Shippo said, "Yeah yeah, whatever you say Kagome." Kagome said, "What?" Shippo quickly squeaked, "Nothing." Inu Yasha said, "I'll go to find Miroku now. Make some food while I'm gone. I'm hungry." Kagome said, "Fine, your highness." Inu Yasha smirked, "Yes, I am."

IIYIIYIIYIIYIIYIIY

Inu Yasha wandered the outskirts of the village, trying to sniff out his perverted monk friend. He caught a small whiff of him and muttered under his breath, "God, Miroku, you always wander off so much." He weaved through the crowds of villagers and ox-drawn carts, trying to get close to a hut, the end of Miroku's scent trail. Strange things that sounded like moans came from the hut, and a certain musky scent came through the air. The moans grew louder and louder until a loud shreik ended it. Breathless pants could be heard.

Inu Yasha heard Miroku's voice, "Ah, that was good. I'm sorry, but I can't stay for any more. My comrades are awaiting my return, and they will grow suspicious if I am not back soon." A whiny female voice, which Inu Yasha recognized as one of the village's girl's voices, said, "Oh, but dear Miroku, you've only just returned from that perilous journey through the northern mountains, fighting demons and getting into danger. You should stay and relax for now. I will take very good care of you, and you will feel much better." Miroku sighed, "No, I'm sorry. Knowing my group, they will send someone to find me. And if they find out about this..." The girl said, "Our four months together would have been wasted. I see. But, you promise to be back soon?" Miroku said, "Of course. But next time..." His voice became deeper and more seductive, "Bring a friend, like last time."

Inu Yasha sprinted away, on his way to Kaede's home.What he had heard had stunned him. He always knew that Miroku was a crazy pervert, but he never expected that he would go off and sleep with the village girls, especially not when Sango was beginning to warm up to him. Inu Yasha reached the house, pausing breifly before entering.

All of the females and Shippo looked up and greeted Inu Yasha. He went over to Sango and said, "I need to talk to you. It's very important." Sango nodded and got up, slinging Hiraikotsu along her back. Kagome called across the room, "Inu Yasha, you took so long that your ramen got cold. Should I warm it up for you?" Inu Yasha replied, "Yeah, sure. Whatever." Kagome blinked. He never spoke about ramen so carelessly. Something must be going on.

When Sango hadn't moved, with Shippo now on her shoulder, Inu Yasha said, "It's private." Shippo jumped off Sango's shoulder at the sterness in Inu Yasha's voice. Inu Yasha grabbed Sango's wrist and tugged her behind him as he walked out of the house and closer to the seclusion of the forest. When he stopped, he let go of Sango's wrist, an upset look on his face. Sango asked, "Inu Yasha, what's wrong? Is it that serious?"

Inu Yasha sighed and ran a clawed hand through his hair, "Sango, this might upset you a lot. But it wouldn't be right for me to keep you in the dark about this." His eyes grew sad and frustrated, mixed in with numerous feelings. Sango was worried. Inu Yasha never acted like this unless a betrayal of some sort happened. She knew this because he showed signs that he was afraid to be betrayed again like Kikyo betrayed him, and he didn't want anyone else to feel like he did. But what could it be? Sango asked, "Inu Yasha, what is it? Will you be okay?" Inu Yasha said softly, "I'll be fine. It's you I'm worried about." He continued, "I was looking for Miroku like you asked when... when I heard..." He clenched his fists and turned his face away, "This really changes what I see in Miroku. I don't think I can ever trust him again, he didn't tell any of us about it. I never thought he would do something like this. It just gets me so mad. I want to rip his eyes out for not telling us!"

Sango bit her lip and then said, "Inu Yasha, get a hold of yourself! What did Miroku do?! You're scaring me, saying all fo these things. What happened?" Inu Yasha looked at her sympathetically and opened his mouth to speak, but a familiar voice rang out, "I'm back!" Miroku came into view, not too far from the hut.

Inu Yasha turned away and began walking towards the hut. Miroku's scent smelled of the springs, 'That sleazy bastard was washing off his scent all along.' Miroku saw Inu Yasha leaving the forest, Sango walking a few feet behind him. When Sango met eyes with Miroku, she turned away. She didn't know what was going on, and until she found out, she would be careful around Miroku. She stopped near a tree, and Inu Yasha kept walking. Miroku came closer to Inu Yasha and asked, "What's wrong Inu Yasha?" Inu Yasha growled, "Get away from me, you filthy, betraying son-of-a-bitch." Miroku's eyes grew wide as he stopped in his tracks. Inu Yasha kept walking on towards the hut. Miroku called out, "Inu Yasha!" Inu Yasha ignored the voice that now disgusted him. Miroku sighed and walked past the hut, going to Sango, "Sango, what's wrong with Inu Yasha. He seems terribly out of sorts." Sango bit her lip and wrinkled her brow in worry, not answering Miroku as she ran deeper into the forest.

When Inu Yasha entered the hut, Kagome first saw the troubled expression he wore and asked, "Inu Yasha, what happened? What did you have to talk about with Sango?" Inu Yasha muttered, "It... It's not my place to say." Kagome asked persistantly, "What did it have to do with Sango? Is she in danger?" Inu Yasha repeated, "It's not my place to say." Kagome argued, "Sango is my best friend. I have a right to know too. I love her as if she were my sister." Inu Yasha lashed out, "If you really care about her, you would respect her privacy! I couldn't tell her just now, but I will. Then, she can decided whether or not she wants to tell you." Kagome looked guilty for a moment before she retorted, "Wait, then how did you find out before she did?!" Inu Yasha sighed, "It was an accident. I don't want to talk about it with you. Can I just have my ramen? And can you leave?" Kagome huffed, knowing she had lost, but brought his ramen to him and left the hut without arguement.

Kaede went away from the fire with a bowl of stew in her hands, sitting across the table from Inu Yasha. She observed the agitation in his movements as he ate, and the torn look that stuck his face. She sipped a bit of her stew and said, "If you would like to relieve some painful thoughts, I will always lend a friendly ear." Inu Yasha looked up at the old woman. Then with a feral growl at the table, he threw his chopsticks to the ground, "I just don't get it! And I'm so pissed off at Miroku right now, I could kill him! I can't believe what he did, and I'm worried about how Sango will take it."

He sloched over, his elbows on the table, supporting his head in his hands, "I'm not used to keeping things like his. It was so much easier, traveling alone. It's great to have them around, but now... I just don't know if I can trust anyone. They could all be doing something like Miroku when nobody is around, and I'll never know about it. Knowing that he hasn't told anybody, even me about it, and it's been going on for sometime now, it just gets me mad. Sango has always been a good person too, never keeping secrets. She's the one person I can actually trust with anything in our group, and I would hate for her to be crushed by what that bastard did." Kaede placed her bowl down gently, "And, what is it exactly that Miroku did to make you feel like this?"

Inu Yasha muttered angrily, "He's been sleeping with the village girls." Kaede's eyes widen, "Oh my. Poor Sango will be extremely upset when she hears of this." Inu Yasha hissed, "Since it's her problem and I shouldn't do anything about, I hope she'll beat him up good enough and beat him up for me. Before she falls into depression at least." Kaede sighed, "Sango is a strong woman in body and mind, but her heart has been weakened by the loss of too many loved ones which she wasn't able to stop. I hope she hasn't developed too strong feelings for Miroku, or she may fall into illness and serious depression. Enough to drive her to do terrible things to herself and anyone around her." Inu Yasha sighed, "That's what I'm worried about."

Outside, in the forest, Miroku ran quickly after Sango. She was a very fast runner, even with the Hiraikotsu on her back, due to her training, and it was difficult to keep up. In between gasps of breath, Miroku called out, "Sango! Sango, wait! What did I do?!" She looked back every few seconds, swerving around the trees. Miroku stopped at one tree and panted for air. He shouted, "Sango, I give up! Why are you running away?!" Sango looked down at him from the branch she occupied, "What did you do?" Miroku said, "I was going to ask that about myself. What did I do?" Sango said, "I don't know what you did. But you did something terrible. Inu Yasha told me he was angry at you for something you did, and he said he was worried for me because ofyou. I don't know what to think, but I think I'm leaning towards Inu Yasha on this one."

Miroku leaned on the tree and slid down until he reached the ground, "Oh? And what makes you do that?" Sango said, "Inu Yasha only acts like that when there is betrayal involved. Also, I trust him, much more than you. I know he won't go off flirting with every woman in the village!" Miroku's heart nearly skipped a beat when she mentioned the village women. He said, "That just may be true, but I must say, I do not give my heart to them. I would only give it to you." Sango faltered fora moment before saying, "I'm not that easy Miroku." Miroku smirked, "You're very cautious today Sango. Is it because Inu Yasha raised some suspicion in you against me?" Sango said, "Maybe. I'd prefer to ask Inu Yasha exactly what he was going to tell me, because if I were to ask you, you'd twist it up,or just straight-out lie." She flipped through the trees, leaving Miroku alone in the forest.

Sango came to the edge of the forest and shouted, "Inu Yasha! Come here!" The curtain that was in the doorway opened slightly, and then Inu Yasha walked out. When he reached Sango, he asked, "What?" Sango said, "What were you going to tell me? What was it Miroku was doing?" Inu Yasha sighed, "It involves a woman other than yourself. Actually, women." Sango's eyes widened, "What? Women? What has he been doing? D-don't tell me..." Inu Yasha said, "He's been sleeping with them. The village girls." Sango's lip quivered and she turned her face away from Inu Yasha, asking shakily, "A-are you sure? H-he's really been doing this?" Inu Yasha said, "Yeah." Sango asked, "For how long? How long has he been doing this behind our backs?" Inu Yasha sighed, "All I know is that with one of them, it's been for four months."

Sango turned away and began to run back into the forest. Inu Yasha shouted, "Sango!" She stopped and looked back at him. He said, "Don't do anything you'll regret. I'm sorry this is happening." Sango turned back to the forest and ran. Inu Yasha went back towards the hut, hoping Miroku would at least get his teeth knocked in.

Miroku heard the noise of quick footsteps and looked. Sango was running toward him, and expression of disbelief and hatred in her eyes. In a flash, she had Hiraikotsu out, ready to give the man in front of her hell for what he had done. Miroku saw this and quickly removed the cloth of his left hand, deciding to do what he had been holding off for a while, "Wind Tunnel!" Sango's eyes widened, but she was too close to get out of range. She held Hiraikotsu in front of her protectively, hoping she would not be sucked into the void by her betraying friend. She kicked her heels into the ground, trying to pull away from the dark abyss. The Hiraikotsu was ripped from her hands, sucked into the dark hole, never to return. Sango screamed and crouched down, wondering if Miroku was doing this because she found out his secret.

Suddenly, the wind stopped. Sango looked up to see Miroku directly in front of her, wrapping his prayer beads around his arm. She got up, tears streaming down her face from the torrent of emotions she was feeling. Betrayal, anger, hate, and fear. Miroku stared at her sternly. Sango, couldn't contain herself anymore and shouted, "How could you!? You betrayed me, and now you almost killed me! And you took my Hiraikotsu! My father made that for me when I was just a small girl, you know how much it means to me! You knew and you did all of this! Why? How could you!?" She raised her right arm to slap him, but he caught it with his left, lowering her hand from his face, but keeping a firm grip. Sango struggled for a moment to free her hand and stopped, "Inu Yasha told me something. He told me that you've been sleeping with the village girls. You must be pretty sneaky for doing this for at least four months without any of us finding out. And it pisses me off!" She raised her left hand, but Miroku caught it as well.

Miroku saw the tears form in Sango's eyes from the feelings she felt, from being tricked and now trapped. He had both of her wrists in his hands, and he wasn't about to let go. He said, "So, you've finally figured me out." Sango cried, "What do you mean, 'finally'!?" Miroku said, "If you've only just found out now, you're a year and a half too late to stop me. I've tried each girl in this village at least twice, and many women from other villages. And do you know how many of them are carrying, or have beared my children?" Sango shut her eyes tightly, hoping against hope that this was all some crazy nightmare. Miroku said, "None of them. I still have yet to find a woman who I find is good enough to bear my child. Sango felt a small wave of relief over her, but it diminished quickly, "If you're trying to apologize, it's not working."

Miroku chuckled slightly, in a way that scared Sango, "Oh no, of course not. I'm actually happy that I've had this chance to do all of that for so long without your realizing it." Sango cried, "Why? Why are you doing this!?" Miroku became angry and said gruffly, "Why? You ask why? I did this in secrecy because it was what I had wanted all along, but I knew you would ruin it all for me! You were always holding me back! Since the week we met, you kept me away from every woman I tried to meet. It was impossible to find what I wanted. My mission, as of now, is to find a woman who can bear my son, who can continue on my journey to kill Naraku if I am too late. If I do not have a child who can do this, and I cannot find Naraku in time, then my family will never be avenged. I cannot accomplish my goal with you pulling me closer to you and away from my goal. I've always hated it, every time you kept me away. But I put up wth it. I thought there might be something between us... But I guess there isn't. The village girls, many of whom are now my whores, have taught me how to keep this secret. And I'm grateful to them, for allowing me to escape. I felt true pleasure for the first time in months, and if you haven't already noticed, I haven't flirted much, with any woman. I found my cure, to stop me from asking a woman to bear my child, and just going ahead and doing it. It's all because you didn't know."

Sango felt her knees shake and give out as she collapsed to the ground, sobs racking her body. Miroku still kept a tight grip on her wrists. Sango looked up at him, "How could you!? Why didn't you tell me that I was ruimimg your life!? I could have stopped! I could have helped you myself!" Miroku ignored her and said, "I'm leaving. I'm not exactly sure where to yet. But you won't see me for a while." He dropped Sango's wrists and turned away, walking away from the village and from Sango, not looking back. He got further and further away. Sango screamed, "I had dreams! Dreams that you and I would be together!" Miroku stopped for a moment, and then shook his head, continuing to walk away. Sango sobbed and curled up on the ground. Everybody she loved had left her. Now her last hope, the one she believed to be her true love, had gone away, and wouldn't be back...


InvincibleInuYasha: Oh my god! How could I do that!? Why am I asking you? I don't know. I love Sango and Miroku pairings! I even went as Sango for AnimeNEXT and met this guy who was going as Miroku and my friends all talk with each other, having cyber sake parties, lol. We're losers, but that's ok. Anyway, I'm sorry for writing this. I'm trying to come up with something, but I won't tell what, because it will ruin the story for you all! Flames are welcome, because I can totally understand why you'd do that. Go ahead. I'll even keep them posted just to show that you guys love Sango/Miroku. I do too, just making sure all of you realize this. Anyway, R&R about whether or not you liked it, or if you want to kill me. lol. Anyway, bye!