InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Buried Alive ❯ Choosing Sides ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Ok so my first story, Not sure how well this is going to go over. But give me some time to pull it all together! Hope you enjoy it!

Disclaimer: I don't own InuYasha...or anyone else.

Buried Alive

Chapter One

Staring at the white wall in front of me, I consider the question I've just been asked. Other than the fact that I'm in a white room with 4 walls and a video camera in one corner, I have no idea where I'm at. I'm not sure what these people want with me or why they are asking so many questions.
"Lal, answer the question." The lady over the intercom demands. "What is your greatest fear?" She asks me again as if I've forgotten. They have asked me so many questions that I'm having a hard time remembering what lies I've told. I know they think my name is Lal, it's not, but it's not like I'm going to tell them that. I contemplate the answer to their question. It is an easy one so I decide to give them what they want.

"My biggest fear is spiders." I say loud enough for them to hear. It was a lie, but it would suffice for now. So far I'd be smart and kept my mouth shut. I only spoke when spoken to so to keep my sarcasm from getting me into trouble. I was still trying to analyze just how much trouble I was in. I knew it couldn't be too good seeing as I was in a room with no doors and I was being interrogated to no end. I walk to the wall in front of me and knock on it. Just as I figured. Solid. I checked the others but they were the same. I go back to the middle of the room and take a seat on the white solid floor.

The room was bright but it was impossible to tell where the light was coming from. looked up but the ceiling just kept going, or at least it looked that way. The room however was not the only mystery. I look down at my outfit. It is almost similar to scrubs from a hospital. With, of course, a few exceptions. One being that it had no cute little penguins on it or and such thing of the like. It was the same plain white of the room. I would blend in with the walls if it wasn't for my dark raven hair and nicely tanned skin.

I try to remember why I'm here. I remember home, and mom, Souta, and grandpa. It was hard to think of my friends, I hadn't seen them in years. Names and faces were scattered in my memory. None of them matching up quite right. I was getting annoyed at not being able to answer my own questions. So I decided to be bold and ask some of my questions aloud.

"Why am I here?" I ask loudly. It is quiet for a long moment and I figure they weren't going to answer my questions. Shockingly though a voice comes over the intercom. This one male.

"You are the chosen one." I go still, and think about what that means.

"Oh, yeah, where have I heard that one before?" I give a carefree laugh then pull my legs up to my chest and rest my chin on my knees.

"You're a clever one aren't you?" the voice chilled me to the bone, but apparently that wasn't enough for me to lose my sense of humor.

"You know it's kind of hard to answer all of these questions on an empty stomach." I smirk up at the camera, "And I could really use a trip to the john." I stop waiting for a reply then remembering my manners add. "If that's not to much to ask for." It's quiet again, this time the silence lasts longer. I rest my head back on my knees and sit patiently waiting hoping they haven't just given up on me and left. There is a loud noise above me causing me to jump to my feet. I fear the worst for a second, but nothing happens. There's the sound of a motor running somewhere above me, I look up. Then a small door opens above me and an oversize ladder drops down right in front of me. It hits the ground with a loud bang, making me jump a bit. I stand there waiting for it to come to life and attack me, but nothing happens.

"Let's go Kagome, your food is getting cold." I'm shocked for a moment at the sound of my name, my real name, but I jump up and start climbing the ladder anyway. As I start my climb I realize it's not just one or two flights, more like six. At least I'll know I earned my food. After about the third flight up I pass through a thin white partition. Behind it are row upon row of giant flood lights. This would be the unbinding light that was keeping my cell nice and bright. I climb past the partition and the ladder below me starts to rise. I pick up my pace not wanting to have my fingers smashed.

As I near the top I start to hear voices, and I'm not talking about the type in your head. Above me is a metal grid with a square opening. I climb up and stop onto the landing. I waited as people rushed around me. They cuffed me and then blindfolded me. As we walked I tried to keep tabs on my location. I knew we'd taken 2 lefts, a right another left, right, straight for a long time then a left, but then I tried to remember what I said first and I got confused. I was lost, but I did know one thing, this place was huge. Or they were trying to confuse me. Finally we stopped and they took off the cuffs and blindfolds. I was directed to a bathroom where I took care of business. It was a small room and I was disgusted by the lack of a sink.

Next I was taken to a large room with a mural on one wall and windows lining the other. Though I couldn't see outside because of the blinds. There was one table in this room, it was rather over sized for two people. Me and a man that sat patiently in one chair, leaving only one open seat at the over sized table. As I took my seat to his right he looked up at me and smiled. It was a dark smile one that gave me chills down my back, but I resisted the urge to look away. Instead I smiled back. He motioned to the table and I finally notice that the table is lined with dishes of food. I dig in, no prayers, no manners, just me eating ravenously. I take a fork full of turkey, a giant serving of mashed potatoes, a roll for each hand and a glass of wine.

I eat until my hunger subsides and then eat a little more. I'm not sure when I'll be eating again, or if I'll even make it to the next meal. I gulp down my wine and pour me another glass. I look up at the man sitting next to me. He's eating too, but his manners make him look like royalty. He dabs at the side of his mouth after drinking and only takes small bites that would be pointless to chew. Yet he chews each time thoroughly.

"What's your name?" My boldness surprises even me, but he just looks bemused. Like this is all some kind of joke.

"Naraku." His voice is graceful and elegant and I decide that his parents must have been swans.
"Tell me Kagome, do you prefer to go by Lal? Or maybe Maria? Or what about Tammy?" A smirk forms on his perfect mouth and I'm tempted to slap him. I don't of course. He knows I've lied, every word I've said for the past three hours, all lies. I wonder why they even asked the questions in the first place if they already knew everything about me.

"How's the business going?" He asks referring to my hobby, which happens to be making and selling fake IDs.

"Well, I'm filthy rich, if that's what you mean." I pause for dramatics, "But you don't want me for my money do you?" he shook his head, I continued, "And your not a cop." He shook his head again. "If not my money, then what do I have that you want?"

He contemplates my question, scratching his chin, looking up, the he leans in closer to me. "You're the one they're looking for." I give him a funny look and he laughs, the sound is seriously the scariest thing I've ever heard. "It was only a matter of time before they were to come and get you. I just got to you first."

"Ok so I know I speak fluent english and all, but you're going to have to run that one by me again." I take large gulp off my wine knowing I'm going to need the buzz.

"Kagome you are being sought out by many powerful people," He waited for a second to make sure I was grasping what he was saying, and I was...mostly. "These people from your world and mine want you Kagome, and they will do anything to get you."

"OK, that part I get, cause I'm a pretty awesome person, but I know that's not the real reason, so why?" I stop then ask again for good measure. "Why do they want me?"

"Kagome, you are the only person in the universe that can stop the world from becoming non-existant." Naraku spoke slowly drawing out every word.

"Well how about that?" I smile, "I'm famous...even if it is for a bogus reason." I thought about this for a moment and then asked another question. "Why me? Why am I the...chosen one?"

"Long ago, your world used to have an abundance of power, abilities beyond belief, but only certain people had these powers. The ones who didn't got scared, and so they started killing your kind off." He paused watching me for a reaction I give him the 'go ahead' signal and he continues. "You are the last important thing left from your planet, and you are the only one able to hinder the end of that world. Or so they believe. Most don't even know the reason for your creation"

"Huh, that's interesting." I think about actually having cool powers, like fire, or ice, I was never really big on sci-fi as a kid. "What kind of powers? And please explain this whole "created" thing cause I'm pretty sure I was born, not engineered by scientists."

"Your power is unknown to me, I'm interested in finding out what it is you can do." Naraku was growing tired I could tell, he was growing annoyed with me. I knew he was lying to me, he was blinking too often and he failed to answer all of my questions. I didn't trust a word he said and I didn't believe he knew who he was dealing with.

"Ok, well let's say I believe you, and I do have these powers." I look around the room. "What do I get out of helping you?"

"Kagome if you help me I'll give you whatever you want." I ponder his alluring words. There are several things I wanted. Like, if I did save the Earth could I rename it Bob? or even a million dollars, nah to simplistic, I needed something that would get me somewhere. I couldn't think of anything really good so I just said the thing I wanted most right now.

"I want to go home." I decided.

"Very well." Naraku nodded. We were interrupted as a man who looked very much like how I pictured Hitler in my mind entered the room. He crossed the room and handed Naraku a note.
"Kagome, what are your views on action movies?" Naraku asked and I was unsure what he meant.

"They can be awesome...why?" I quirk my eyebrow and he smirks.

"Come with me and you might even be staring in your own action film. You do know how to defend yourself?" He asked as an off note.

"Yep" I rose and so did Naraku, he started off down a corridor and I followed, only this time with no cuffs or blindfold. I kept track of where I was and how to get back to this room, incase I needed to. I also thought about how I was going to get myself out of this. "This could be interesting." I murmer as I follow Naraku. We went through 3 coded doors and I realized just how high-tech this place was. Impressive.

"OK Kagome when we get to this next room I want you to be aware." Naraku advised. "If you can defend yourself go ahead if you feel you can't there will be a trap door at the back of the room, feel free to use it." I nodded and he uncoded the next door. We entered the room and all of the guards that were with us left. Naraku went up to a big black screen and powered it on. I stood back to watch only as a spectator. I positioned myself a few steps away from the trap door knowing I intended to use it. I just hoped it led outside. I had no intentions of helping someone who'd held me prisoner. The black screen came on and there was a giant face on it. I was shocked to see it was a person. It was like web cam almost, only more futuristic, like we really were starring in a sci fi movie.

"Hello Naraku." The voice was pleasant, making me think they might be old acquaintances.

"InuYasha, back so soon?" Naraku smirked.

"Do you still have her?" InuYasha asked with a hit of sarcasm.

"But of course." Naraku nodded.

"Well then yeah, I'm back." InuYasha agreed. I was enjoying this conversation it was a distraction. And distractions where good for planning and escaping.

"Do you want to see her?" Naraku offered, "Or do you trust me?"

"I'd never trust you Naraku." InuYasha confessed.

"Well then, I show her to you," Naraku paused, " That way when you lose you know that it'll only be a matter of time before you and your kind are finished." I was trying to understand what was being said, but no one was explaining properly, and I found I was being left behind. "Kagome, come here." I didn't want to move away from my escape, but I also didn't want to brake my facade. I walked to Naraku and stood by his side. He smiled at me and I forced a smile in return.
"She's mine InuYasha, we have an agreement." I made eye contact with InuYasha and winked at him. I was trying to get his attention so he'd know just how badly I want out of this mess. He frowned at me in disapproval then looked back to Naraku.

"Are you sure this is her?" InuYasha asked, "I thought she was supposed to be the descendant of a beautiful miko?" I took the comment gracefully but inside I was ready to beat the shit out of that cocky son of a--. My thoughts we broken off by Naraku who had placed one of his hands on my head and was now stroking my hair. Gross!

"Really InuYasha you have no sense of true beauty." Naraku smiled warmly down at me. "She really is quite witty too." I gave him a fake smile. "She's quite the negotiator too." He let me go and I stepped back. "I get you, and your planet dead and she gets to go home."

"You can't promise that!" InuYasha sounded incredulous, "It's impossible!" I slowly started to inch backwards, as slowly as possible so as not to draw attention to myself. I didn't want to destroy anyone, maybe beat the crap out of InuYasha for his earlier comment, but not kill. I was 3 feet from the escape now and Naraku still hadn't noticed I was gone. I listened for a moment to see where this conversation had gone.

"...going to regret this very much." InuYasha growled slightly.

"I'm not so sure, I'm enjoying it so far." Naraku's voice hinted victory but I'd missed too much of the conversation to grasp it.

"Are you enjoying it now?" InuYasha asked only the InuYasha on the screen didn't speak, it was the InuYasha behind me that now held a gun to the back of my head.

End Chapter

Okay so hope you liked it, more will be here soon, I need to clean up the third chapter a little bit, but the second will be up pretty quick! Review please!