InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Buried Alive ❯ Kidnapped...Again... ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: don't own InuYasha and company.

Chapter 4 Kidnapped...Again...

Consciousness comes too me some time in the middle of the night, or so it seems. At first I only vaguely remember what's happened to me and I'm thinking it was only a dream. That I made the whole thing up. I sit up in a comfy bed and look around me. I'm back home at my flat in Chicago. I glance around my dirty room in confusion. The memories of my kidnap and rescue was all a dream? I couldn't believe that though for one good reason. On my wrist a black bracelet that appears to be a clock of some sort ticks in a metronomic rhythm. I pull at it trying to get if off but it won't budge. Glaring down at the little contraption, I pull the covers back and pushed myself to my feet. Slowly and cautiously I walk across the hardwood floor.

One board creaks and old memories fall back into my mind. This was my home. I went to the door and turned the knob but got no results. I was trapped. I pulled on the door more forcefully but it didn't budge. I stuck my fingers in the small gap between the door and the frame and worked at that angle for a moment hoping the lock would pop. To no avail I worked to free myself from this prison. As my fingers scraped across the wood they picked up several splinters that quickly split my skin causing them to bleed. I pull them from the door and drag the tips across my pants to remove the eccess blood. The reddish brown stains on my thighs looked like scratches that were caused by a wild animal. I grimace down at the ruined pants but quickly dismiss the thought. I leave the door standing, there's really no possible way it's going to miraculously open for any of my wild techniques.

I look around my room and soon I am over at my window. It opens with a loud squeaking noise due to disuse. I cringe at the sound but I'm free nonetheless. I climb out onto the small window pane. I'm not exactly afraid of heights, but I do keep in mind that it will probably kill me if I fall. I slowly lower myself till I'm crouched on the outer ledge of my window pane. I look around debating my next move. I'm eight stories above the ground. As I look down all I see is a red Corvette and a sidewalk. There's no one out walking which just seems typical. If I was in here having a heated conversation with someone everyone would be out trying to listen in. The perks of a small community. I debate my chances of escaping this way and I find that I'd rather live than take the risk that comes with jumping. Slipping back into my room I throw myself on my bed and wait for something to happen.

It seems like hours before I finally grow bored of doing nothing. I've given up completely at trying to get the gadget off my wrist. It drives me nuts to look at it so I keep my arm at my side and try to ignore the barely audible ticking it gives off. I'm not sure of the time--it appears that this "watch" only has random numbers nothing that could possible make sense without my having first read the manual for the device--but I do know that I'm sick of being stuck inside this room. I go to my dresser. I search around in the bottom drawer and find my lock picking kit. Now normally I never use this when I'm on the inside of a room, but it seems that this situation calls for my more creative skills. I go to the door and start fidgeting with the key hole.

An idea pops into my head randomly and I pull a credit card from the kit. I slide it into the hole by the handle and angle it a bit. The door swings open with little effort on my end. Hours spent doing nothing seem pointless now but I push aside the silly feeling. The small but neat living area I'm used to is the same as I remember, nothing moved or missing as far as I can tell. I check the door handle from this side of the door. It seems that is was only smashed a bit, probably the cause of it not opening. I wondered how it came to be damaged and when I heard a beep from my wrist I knew. Where had InuYasha gone? I moved into my living area fully but there was no sign of anyone having been here. I'm curious as to why I'm back at my home with no explanation from the people who rescued me. Maybe they hope to be rid of me. Though I could not see why.

At the emptiness of my own home I am almost instantly ready to leave. I look down at the band on my wrist. The green glow of the back light makes me wonder, but even more so I'm curious about the numbers. I've noticed a pattern. They only change when I'm moving. I figure they could possibly be coordinates, and someone is tracking me. Leaving my home is about as good a prospect I can think of so I grab the set of keys to my mustang and head for the door. The minute I've placed my hand on the knob turned it and allowed the door to swing open I am bombarded by noise. Above me in the hallway outside the door is a red flashing light like one on a cop car, there is a loud warning sent out over a speaker above as well, "Warning: Leaving these premises will result in a violation of the law.".

The metallic voice sounded serious but I really could care less. I looked out the door to the left and right. The coast was clear, I took a right knowing somewhere in my gut that the elevator was a trap. Reaching the end of the hall I opened the door to the stairwell and took them three at a time. Figuring it wouldn't take long for "The Law" to arrive and take me in for the eccentric reason of my leaving my room, I raced down the stairs and out of the building as fast as I possibly could.

As soon as I was through the double door entrance I was stopped in my tracks. I suddenly understood what it was the metallic voice had warned me of. Looking around and taking in my surrounding I was for the first time in my life stunned in place--willingly at least. From eight stories up it would have been impossible to see but now as I stood before it I was afraid. The high class town that I'd lived in for so long was no longer what it used to be. This made me wonder just how long I'd been held prisoner. It was a ruin that stood before me. Not the same great neighborhood it used to be, and no where near the standards of a town.

I wondered what had happened to this place, maybe something the government had done to it? I took in the sight, cars overturned, trash littering the roads, trees burned to stubs, graffiti lining every wall of every building. I heard the engine of a big truck somewhere off in the distance and started walking in the direction of the noise. As I was making my way down the trashed street I heard a strange noise pick up behind me. At first I thought maybe I was hearing things, I glanced over my shoulder and searched the clearing.

There was nothing there that I hadn't already seen. I shrugged the icy chill out of my spine and continued on with my walk that so far hadn't led me anywhere. The city was much more vast with no one left in it. I was curious as to what had happened. The destruction I saw before me couldn't have been overnight. I realized in that assumption that I had been gone for more than a few days. I didn't feel older at all, so I figured it couldn't have been that long.

On that thought I got an idea. I spotted a pay phone a couple meters away. It was worth a try. Knowing I had no way to pay for a phone call I hurried over to the booth, my hopes hadn't been too high. I picked up the receiver but the line--as I suspected it would be--was dead. My hopes squandered I placed the receiver back on the hook and got out of the booth. I still heard the sound of a motor as I continued walking through the disaster of a town. I didn't know if maybe it was my imagination, or if the vehicle was idle and waiting for something.

I wasn't the least bit scared or nervous, I guess all in all I should have been. After all, with all the chaos surrounding me the motor could be that of a killing machine. I could be headed to my own demise. For some reason, even with these thoughts running through my mind, fear was the last emotion on my mind. I was too confused and curious to care enough. My footsteps on the road were almost silent as I made my way to the source of the noise. I had walked a good twenty yards when I heard the footsteps start up behind me again.

"Who's there?" I turn to look as I ask my question hoping I'm quick enough on the drawl to catch my pursuer in the act of following me. Of course I don't. Whoever it is must have been smarter than I had previously given them credit for. I listen and watch as my words echo and return to me from the emptiness of the street. My hands were suddenly clammy and wet. I rushed to wipe them down the legs of my jeans. I didn't think I was going crazy, but then again, maybe this was all a dream. Somehow I knew it wasn't, despite the desperate wishes I was silently sending to the gods above. Deciding the footsteps were mostly harmless--aside from the creepy chill they sent down my back--I moved on.

I knew the noise was just around the corner now. Just another block till I found what it was I was looking for, which, at this point, I had no idea what it was going to be. I was shocked further when I rounded the corner and there before me instead of a vehicle like I was expecting was a huge building. This building was the cause of the noise. Unlike all the rest this building looked new and polished, not a letter of graffiti, not one broken window, and there appeared to be people inside. Or at least I hoped it would be people. I don't know what else it was I expected, but when I finally entered the building I released a breathe I'd been unknowingly holding.

It was a bustling city of InuYashas. I was trapped by my own shock. I'd thought that InuYasha was the leader and the rest only mere look-a-likes, perhaps for his own protection, now I was not so sure. They didn't seem to notice my grand entrance and so I stayed quiet and watched. The watch on my wrist had a big fat zero on it and now I realized it was calculating distance from this place. They moved about, none of them speaking, or at least not that I could hear. Despite the silence there was an underlying noise, possibly the building.

The noise I'd heard outside had dulled at my entrance and was now only a slight background rhythmic drone. I walked a few paces into the building and then cautiously passed through a doorway that reminded me of a metal detector at an airport. I was immediately sorry for my boldness. The bracelet on my wrist turned a bright red and a siren went off above me. "Warning: Unauthorized subject has entered the building." The same metallic voice from my home announced my arrival.

After the warning went off there was a wave of silence that was far more quiet than the first. It seemed that even the building had stopped buzzing to watch what was to happen next. All of the InuYashas turned to me, synchronized they all looked down at their own watch type devices. It almost reminded me of the power rangers, only no transformation was made. I was almost hoping however one would and this communistic community would show some form of uniqueness.

However today was not my day. Instead of the drastic scene I'd created in my head of the Power Ranger transformation they all spoke at once. Well at least it appeared they were talking, their lips were moving and the buildings loud buzzing noise picked up again. That's when I came to a new conclusion. These people were aliens that had come to my planet and had taken over. That seemed to cover all the open questions in my mind, it even made the most sense--at least more so than my other ideas, which included genocide, Armageddon, and or a new type of plague. However, not one of them approached me or attacked me as I was expecting.

They all stopped talking simultaneously and just as quickly as they'd turned my way they turned and went back to whatever it was they had been doing. I watched and waited, and then as I was about to turn and leave I saw him. I'm not sure how I could tell it was InuYasha, after all they all looked like Inuyasha--it might have been the cocky smirk he wore on his face, the same one he gave Naraku, or the way he walked, he seemed more confidant than the other InuYashas--whatever it was I knew right away it was him.

He was coming my way, watching me in a way that had me suddenly worried about how I looked. This made me frustrated because I had never been vain about my looks. What was it about this man that made me feel so suddenly self conscious? Of course if I knew the answer to that I would have already remedied the problem. I stood stationary and waited for him to come to me.

It didn't take long. He walked with pride, I could tell he thought highly of himself. Despite not liking men who were chauvinistic pigs, there was something about InuYasha that seemed to quell my hostility. I noticed as he came closer to me that there were fewer and fewer people, they seemed to disappear from sight, I wasn't sure what was going on but this definitely had me confused. It were as if InuYasha was taking up all the space in my vision, imparing my abilities to see anything else but him. I tried not to think about this new revelation and instead thought through the tons of questions that had been constantly racing through my mind since I awoke in the white room that was my prison. I started out with one I thought was the most obvious.

"You woke up earlier than expected." He noted checking the glass doors to confirm it was still dark outside. "I was going to come get you at five. I see you didn't listen to the security system when you left your flat, but that's alright you found your way here safely enough."

He'd only said a few words and already I was annoyed with him. I could tell his cocky attitude was going to drive me nuts. "What happened out there?" He was standing a mere three feet in front of me now, and didn't seem to have a care in the world--a talent I wished some day to master.

He was quiet for a long moment and I was just about to prompt him with a "Well?" when he finally replied. "You've been gone for a while, in your absence you missed a great devastation that has fallen over your people."

Thank you InuYasha for the cryptic response, I wanted so bad to say my thoughts aloud, however, I held my tongue. "And just how long have I been gone?" I was expecting an answer along the lines of a month, maybe two. What I wasn't expecting was for InuYasha to totally ignore my question. That is of course after a look of annoyance passed over his face. What was I not allowed to get all the details of my kidnapping?

"We don't have time to answer all of your questions, you're just going to have to trust me, we came to help." The way he dodged the question made me quirk an eyebrow in speculation. I mean after all I barely knew the guy, to tell the truth I didn't have even the slightest bit of proof that he was a good guy. I only knew that he'd rather have me than let someone else hold me captive. Which brought up my next question. "Why did you rescue me?"

He glared at me hard, and I gave him a what-it-was-just-a-question look, that I could tell right away he didn't approve of. "Kagome, I know you don't trust me, but to be brutally honest I don't trust you either."

It shocked me, but only slightly. After all I was the victim here. He'd come and taken me away from Naraku, who let's face it wasn't the better of the two options anyway, and then brought me back here and decided to have the gall to tell me he didn't trust me! Yeah I know, how was a girl to react to that, guys were so rediculous. I knew that InuYasha wasn't just any ordinary guy though. Unless the dog ears, claws, and fangs were all a cover up to hide his true identity. While I was staring at him--I'm sure with my jaw dropped and a bit of drool running down the side of my face in shock--he just continued on. "Which is why we're going to run you through a series of tests."

Let me just say one thing, "tests" were never my idea of a good time. I was really uncomfortable with people examining me and finding out more about me than I ever knew about myself. Which is why as a result of his words I turned--faster, I noticed, than I'd ever moved before--and bolted out the door. I would rather face the creepy foot steps that fallowed me, than allow some other species to run who knows what kind of tests on me. Nuh uh, not me, so not interested. I stopped my full out sprint after about ten minutes.

InuYasha hadn't persued me and I was thankful, but did that mean he didn't really need my help, or he thought I'd soon come back, groveling at his feet and begging to be fed. I don't think so, I'd learn to survive on my own once before and now I can do it again. I didn't get far, however, because minutes after I'd let my guard down and started to slow my pace to a very slow walk I was seized. I now had a knife to my throat and the coarse beard of an old man brushing against my cheek.

I was frozen in shocked horror, again. I couldn't believe my own stupidity. But then this stranger said something that had my nerves instantly on edge and my curiousity spiked. "Kagome, I know your secrets."

End Chapter

AN: I know, you hate me, well that's my job, leave a review, will update soon! thanks, later