InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Camomile Tea ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hi everyone, Chapter Uno is up! For those who don't know what uno means, its one in spanish!
IM: rolls eyes do I have to!
Ly: yes! If you don't I might get arrested and then where will you work?
IM: You don't exactly pay me...
Ly: yeah but I do house and clothe you.
IM: Point taken but still...oh whatever, lets just get it over with. Ly does not own InuYasha. All related materials belong to Takahashi-san. Better?
Ly: Yes thank you
Chapter 1
Kagome Higurashi stood at the front entrance of her family's shrine sweeping the leaves.
Wow what a beautiful day…Kagome thought as she looked up the blue sky shielding her stormy blue-gray eyes. Her ebony hair flowing gently and the breeze giving her porcelain-like skin a rosy blush.
The Higurashi Shrine stood at the top of a hill with steps leading up to it. The various buildings were in a classical Japanese style with red tiled roofs and shoji doors, windows and screens. Upon first glance, the shrine appeared just to be a quiet temple where one might come for prayer but appearances can be deceiving and the Higurashi Temple held much, much more.
“Kagome! Time for lunch!”
Kagome turned toward the voice; she looked to see a young woman with long flowing black hair and kind brown eyes…her older sister, Kikyou.
Kagome waved smiling, “I'll be there in a bit, Ki-neechan, I have to finish sweeping first.”
Kikyou smiled and said, “I'll tell mother but hurry up, she made your favorite today, oden!”
“I will!” Kagome yelled back.
Ooh, I love oden…with that thought Kagome finished sweeping as quickly as she could.
Kagome washed her hands at the stone basin in the kitchen of the house and sat down at the table.
Already at the table waiting was her younger siblings, Souta and Kaede, jichan, Kikyou and mother. She sat down smiling but faltered slightly at the blank look her mother had on her face.
“Okaasan? Is there something wrong?”
“Hmm? Oh no, it's nothing…but do you remember Inu-Taisho-sama? He is the lord of the West, the lands we live on.”
“Yes, I remember him-…”
“Well, I received a letter from him today…” She stopped unable to continue.
“It seems a hanyou is after the Shikon No Tama. He has gathered strength and intends to take the jewel by force from us.” Kikyo continued in her place.
“What? Why would he? True, the jewel holds immense power. But surely he knows of what goes on inside the jewel. If he were to wish upon it, no matter his wish. The demon souls would be released and he would be consumed. Midoriko-sama warned us of the danger. We were entrusted to protect it. It is the reason the jewel has remained pure and untainted.” Kagome said shocked
“Be that as it may, this Naraku, as he is called, may know of the danger and is trying to find a way around it.”
“But what else can we do? The sutras on the gates of our temple can keep him out.”
“Maybe but also in the letter, Inutaisho-sama mentioned his own estate was attacked and damaged. Naraku may be a hanyou but he certainly does not lack in power, armies or resources. For Naraku to attack and even put a scratch on that house is a wonder in itself.”
Kagome quieted as the meal began. How did this happen? What will we do? Kikyo and I are mikos. We can keep it pure but if Naraku is as powerful as he is said to be. We won't be able to defend against his attack.
“Inutaisho-sama also included in the letter that he has two sons, about our age.”
“What does that have to do with anything” Kagome asked slightly perturbed.
“His solutions is for the two of us to marry them and take the jewel with us. In that way more than one person's future can be secured.”
Kagome's eyes widened and she blushed. M-marry? Sure I'm old enough but I'm trained as a miko and I've never gone beyond the village I visit to buy vegetables and such.
“W-wait, isn't Inutaisho and his family, inu-youkai?”
“Inutaisho-sama and yes they are. But I have met them once. They are not we think of youkai. I can't really describe it. But I know they will protect us when we marry them.” Kikyou said with a wistful look on her face and a smile.
Kagome raised an eyebrow and smiled.
“I gather you met the two sons, then?”
“Well, the younger one at least, the older I didn't”
“Hmm, I'm guessing you liked him?”
“Well…I suppose”
Kagome broke out giggling, never in the 2 years that she had lived with this family had she seen Kikyo blush and smile like that.
“Oh stop that. If you met him you say the same.”
“How old is he?”
“He looked about a year older than you. But I think his father said he was around 215.”
“Ah, well its to be expected. They are youkai after all and I expect they'd live longer than us.
Kikyo glared at Kagome as she started giggling again and playfully nudged her on the shoulder.
“Stop that. Inutaisho-sama said he would visit tommorow. He's bringing his two sons as well.
“Really? Hmm, I suppose, now would be a good time as any to get out that silk kimono, Sango bought for me last year as a birthday gift.”
Sango was a youkai-taijiya who lived down in the village below the temple. She had lost her entire village and family to Naraku and now lived protecting the village and the temple.
“Well, you probably should. Jichan told us to get the temple grounds cleaned up so it would be presentable to Inutaisho-sama and his sons. Souta and Kaede are going to stay with our aunt and uncle in the village for a week.”
Kagome stretched, got up and began gathering the dishes.
“Oh no dear, leave that to your sister and brother. Why don't you and Kikyo go down to the village to buy and necklace or two for tomorrow.” Mother said with a smile.
“Oh are you sure, okaasan? Well, ok then. Let's go Kikyo!” Kagome hurried into the hall to her room to grab a silk purse of her pocket money and left with Kikyo.
&&&&&&&&&&
Kikyo and Kagome slowly made their way down to the village below the temple hill.
“I don't know Ki…I mean we hardly know these…er…boys. And I know we always expected arranged marriages. But, I mean they're youkai, it's be improper for us to marry them.”
“Oh, Kago, you must remember that human may we be, we will live much longer than usual people. Look at Jichan, he's 157 and he looks not a day over 68. Even if we don't live as long as youkai, we will be around for a while.”
Kagome nodded as they continued walking, the village in their sight. True, she would live to at least 250 or so her mother assured her. Her miko powers slowed the aging process but her mother said her circumstances were unusual due to the power she held. Midoriko-sama, the priestess who created the Shikon No Tama, visited her mother before she was born and told her that her next female child would surpass Midoriko's own. Due to this, Kagome's mother wasn't very sure how long her daughter would live but that this had only happened once.
A strange phenomenon in a line of female mikos where the power is limited in the first 3-5 generations slowly building and then suddenly being released and born into one being, in this case, Kagome.
“I suppose but if the younger is as nice as you say, the elder can't be too bad.” Kagome said smiling.
Slowly they entered the village to greeting being shouted from various street venders and villagers..
“Kagome-sama! Kikyo-sama! Wonderful day, is it not?”
“Kikyo-sama! Kagome-sama! How goes your day?”
Kagome and Kikyo waved as various people greeted them. This was the village they protected besides their duty to the Shikon No Tama.
“Kagome-chan! Kikyo-san!”
Kagome, with a smile, turned to see Sango running towards them.
“Kagome! What are you doing down in the village? You usually don't come to buy vegetables until Monday.”
“Oh, we have some guests coming tomorrow, so Mother suggested we come down to buy a simple necklace or something. We obviously can't wear anything too elaborate, we are priestesses after all.”
Sango raised an eyebrow and smiled
“Guests? These won't happen to be suitors would they?”
Kagome looked to Kikyo, unsure if she could confide their secret to her friend.
Kikyo merely nodded.
“Well, actually, Kikyo and I are sort of betrothed to two youkai princes.”
“WHAAAAT?”
Kagome winced as the sound reverberated in her ears.
“Yes, Sango-chan. Please don't scream, its hurts my ears. Oh, and please promise not to tell anyone. No one was to know about this besides family and close friends.”
“Of course. But two youkai princes? I mean I know you live long but from my knowledge, high-ranking youkai are almost immortal. How would you live?”
Kagome only smiled and shrugged, “I'm not sure. We'll have to figure it out when we can.”
“Hmm…”
“Well, Sango, Ki and I better get going to buy what we need and return to the temple.”
“Ok, good luck! Bye!”
“Well, your friend didn't react too well to us being married to youkai princes?” Kikyo said raising an eyebrow as they examined the jade necklaces on one table.
“Well, they're InuTaisho-sama's sons. What else would I call them?”
“Hmm, I suppose.”
Kagome looked around again, true the necklaces and earrings were beautiful but they all looked too fancy or expensive. Suddenly, one set caught her eye. It was a simple silver necklace with a small square-cut red gem, a small oval-cut blue gem and a small square-cut green gem set side-to-side in the front. The pair of earrings that accompanied it was just as beautiful with the same design style.
“Oh my, this is just beautiful…” Kagome said wonderingly as she touched a finger to the necklace.
“Ay, that is a very beautiful piece and good price too. Would ye like to buy it?” the vender asked.
“Yes, I believe I will. How much?”
“15 yen, young lady.”
Kagome handed over the coins and receive a small wooden box in return.
“Thank you so much.”
“No, thank ye, miko-sama” the aged vender said pleasantly.
“Look, Ki, look what I got!” Kagome showed her sister the jewels in the box.
“Yes, excellent choice. I got something good too.”
Kikyo held up another wooden box with a gold necklace set with amber crystals that accented her eyes perfectly and pair of matching earrings.”
“Well, we should be heading back.” Kikyo said replacing the box in her silk purse.
“Yes let's go”
Kagome went to bed that night thinking of what the elder son of Inutaisho would be like. If he were anything like the younger maybe she wouldn't mind. Yes I hope he is like the younger. Hehehe Ki-neechan seems to like the younger brother a lot.
&&&&&&
The actual money they used back then, I'm not very sure of so I just used the yen. I'm pretty sure a piece such as the one I described would sell for much more but again it is the Feudel Era and I guess reverse inflation and there you go.
Ly: Hello hello! thank you for reading and please review. No flames please, if you don't like then don't read.
IM: why would they flame you I mean what with me providing me providing the inspiration.
Ly: yes well some of us are not as arrogant as you...
IM:...
Kag: Hmm, what's with this whole being a priestess thing? I mean...you know?
Ly: Kagome, this is an AU, so I guess you are a priestess in this
Kag: shrugs sure...
Inuyasha wonders on stage
Inu: Where am I?
Ly: Eep! Inuyasha, you're not suppose to be on yet get backstage!
Inu: What for! I'll do what I want!
Ly: Inuyasha...don't push me. I could make you a complete bd in this and you wouldn't want that would you?
Inu: narrows eyes fine...hugs kagome I see you later...
Ly: O.O A-, what was that all about?
kag: blush oh he and I are...well...we're...
IM: Going out?
Kag: yeah
Ly: Ok whatever, talk to you all soon!