InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Camomile Tea ❯ Chapter Three ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Three
 
Kagome carefully drew the cloak around her as they strolled out. The shrine grounds, at first glance looked very small, were fairly large in size…at least enough for a couple to chat for some time.
 
Kagome tried to hold her head high as she walked a little behind him to show respect. Kami, why do I always freeze up like this?
 
Twice, Kagome opened her mouth to say something but only let out a breath and continued walking.
 
“Surely, a young miko such as yourself would have been taught to converse?”
 
The young youkai prince's smooth but somewhat cold voice jolted her out of her reverie.
 
Kagome's temper flared up instantly at the insinuation of being not taught to speak.
 
“Wha-no…what do you mean?! Are you saying that I am ill-educated?”
 
Sesshoumaru simply raised an eyebrow at the outburst.
 
“Of course not, but you seemed unable, up until this moment, to speak more than a few words at a time.”
 
“No my lord, I am able to converse. I simply could no think for a topic that would amuse you.”
 
“Indeed”
 
“Perhaps there is something you would like to discuss?”
 
“With you? While I believe you are much more sophisticated than villagers and indeed some youkai I've encountered. You don't possess the intellect needed to understand what I find intriguing.”
 
“How dare yo-…”
 
“Do you really wish to finish that sentence?”
 
Kagome opened her mouth again but thought better of it. Who does he think he is? Strutting like he's so noble. Well, he is a prince but dammit! Princes are supposed to be kind and not cold and unfeeling like this imbecile is!
 
Kagome took a few deep breaths to calm herself and forced a smile on her face.
 
“My lord, it seems we've started off badly. Please forgive my temper.”
 
“I have no need to your apologies, miko. I have no interest in you other than that soon you will be my bride. When you will have traveled to my mansion, I suggest you be careful about that tongue or you may not be able to speak ever again.”
 
“Oh really? Who gave you authority to tell me what I can and can't do? And who said that I was apologizing?”
 
Kagome's mind teemed with thoughts of how arrogant and willful this youkai was.
I don't believe this! He really does think he's better than me! And Okaa-san expects me to marry this bastard?! How dare-…
 
But before Kagome could finish her thoughts, she found herself pinned up against a tree by a clawed hand. Sesshoumaru's face was barely half a foot from her own.
 
“I rarely tolerate being spoken so disrespectfully to, human. Ordinarily, you would have been dead already. However, seeing as you and I are to marry soon, I have held back and I expect you will honor me as a wife-to-be and soon wife is meant to do. Otherwise, you will find your life with me very difficult.”
 
Kagome glared at his golden eyes with disdain. All thoughts of perhaps something of the life she'd hoped for was gone.
 
Sesshoumaru released her and walked noiselessly back toward the main house.
 
Kagome sat crumpled on the ground. When her husband-to-be's footfalls died away, she could barely hold back her anger. How dare he!! Ok, arrogance I can deal but being threatened? Especially when I'm trying to make the best of the situation! I f he thinks he can break me, he's got another thing coming.
 
&&&&&&&&&&
 
Disrespectful human! How dare she address me in such a manner! She must have a death wish. Any demon wench would give up everything to be able to take the place she will soon have. If she will not assume the dignity of her position, I will see to it that she does. Sesshoumaru fumed as he walked back to main building. His face and his eyes betrayed no sign of the confrontation.
 
That wench is not what she is. And what power? I detected nothing from her at all. Perhaps I judged her too highly…How did I think she was amusing? She might be beautiful…with a beautiful scent but she's spirited as my father said. Perhaps too spirited.
 
&&&&&&&&&&
 
Kagome picked herself up off the ground and began walking back to the main building.
 
“Kagome!”
 
She turned to see her sister and Inuyasha walking in her direction, so she waited for them to catch up.
 
“What are to you doing walking back by yourself and where's Sesshoumaru?”
 
“What? Oh nothing happened. Really.”
 
Kagome quickly turned back around but another voice interrupted her thoughts.
 
“Did my nee-san do something?”
 
Kagome turned to look at Inuyasha. He had a knowing look on his face.
 
“I-I don't know what you mean.”
 
“Don't mind him, he tends to be really cold and apathetic when it comes to people he just met. Not to mention he expects to always get what he wants.”
 
Kagome listened as Inuyasha went on about his brother. I don't believe this! This arrogant “lord” seems even worse than he is. She scoffed. I didn't think he could be but I guess this totally blows whatever theories I had…But then again, I better blend in, I'm probably going to be here for the rest of my life. Oh mom, brother I miss you.
 
“Kagome, did Sesshoumaru-sama do something to you?” Kikyo questioned.
 
“Ki, can we talk about this in private. No offense meant to you, my lord.”
 
Inuyasha merely waved it off.
 
“Don't call me that. It bugs me, not to mention, puts me in the same light as my brother.”
 
He grimaced at the thought to being called lord.
 
“Besides, he's the one inheriting the Western Lands. All I get is one of otou-san's swords, Tetsusaiga, I think it's called.”
 
By this time, the trio had reached the main house once again. As they entered the main dining room, everyone else was being seated. Kagome glanced disgustedly at Sesshoumaru before moving towards her seat. She finally got to her seat, sat down and glanced around the table at the seating arrangements. InuTaisho sat at the head of the table. Her mother sat directly to the right and her grandfather directly to the left next to herself. Kikyo sat on her other side. Inuyasha sat across from Kikyo and, to Kagome's displeasure, Sesshoumaru sat across from herself.
 
“My lord, how much do you know of the jewel? It would be best that you know of all the details about it and its carrier.”
 
“I beg your pardon, miko-sama but you said “carrier”?”
 
Kagome froze in her seat, her adopted family knew about her secret but was it truly wise to inform anyone else? The answer came swiftly.
 
“Yes, the carrier is my daughter, Kagome. However, Kagome is not my blood-child. Not directly at least. Kagome will be able to explain better.”
 
Thus, attention was turned upon Kagome. Kagome looked around and saw expectant and somewhat hostile looks. Oh boy, this is going to take some doing…