InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Camomile Tea ❯ Chapter Four ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Four
 
Kagome felt extraordinarily uneasy at the idea of explaining her secret to youkai she barely knew.
 
“My lords, do you truly wish to know? I'm not sure you'd believe me if I told you.”
 
InuTaisho merely nodded, Inuyasha was staring intently at her and Sesshoumaru remained as impassive as ever.
 
Kagome took a deep breath. Well, here goes nothing.
 
“I'm not from this era. I live 500 years in the future. So as my okaa-san said I'm not her child directly but more like a really distant relative.”
 
All three youkai raised an eyebrow.
 
“Yes, I know as crazy as it sounds, I don't necessarily belong here in the timeline. Because I possess the most power yet born into my family, the Shikon No Tama was reincarnated into my body. I know of what will happen and my role in it but I can do nothing to affect the future.”
 
Kagome glanced around the table. Kikyo's eyes were darting about the table and her brow was furrowed in deep concentration. Kagome could tell that she was trying to tune into the auras of the three youkai.
 
“Do you have proof that you are truly from the future?”
 
Kagome's attention snapped to Sesshoumaru. Her eyes widened slightly but her face was set in determination. She had predicted someone would ask this.
 
“I think you can sense that time flows differently around me. You can't quite tell but instinct tells you I'm not of this realm. If you need tangible proof, I have something.”
 
Kagome rose and got her flashlight which she carried with her although she never used it unless it was a dire circumstance.
 
When she reentered the room with the odd object, everyone gazed warily at it.
 
“Don't worry, it won't hurt anyone. It provides light so you can see in dark places. Look.”
 
Kagome flicked the flashlight on and a small circle of light appeared where she was pointing the flashlight. Everyone seemed a little shocked.
 
“Is it fire? I know you've never shown us this Kagome…” Kikyo whispered.
 
“No, it's a light bulb. Electricity is a little hard to explain. Um…think of it this way. Energy can be harnessed in many ways. Here, its in our spiritual energy. In the future, humans founds ways to changing energy into different forms, this is one of them.”
 
Everyone around the table seemed to understand the concept even though they still had no idea of what was going on.
 
“Is that enough proof that I'm from the future?”
 
“Hnn, it will do for the time.”
 
Kagome turned slowly to Sesshoumaru. Two years she'd been here and never once had she lost her temper, but this youkai was pushing Kagome's boundaries.
 
“You know something? I wasn't talking to you. Are you so arrogant that you think everything is about you? Sure you're some high-ranking youkai but that does not justify pushing good people around!”
 
“And I suppose you're a good person.”
 
“Humph, you wouldn't know. You barely know me and yet you judge by what I am, a human.”
 
By this point they or should I say Kagome was standing shouting at Sesshoumaru while he was sitting calmly looking up at her. Such a position was most humiliating to him being talked down to by a human no less.
 
“Yes you are a human and as far as I am concerned most humans are filth. Disgusting creatures populating the earth for few reasons. I believe what I've seen and experienced, humans are worthless.”
 
By now, they were both standing and everyone else had backed off to the wall. Kagome's ki and Sesshoumaru's youki were battling for control. The two were engulfed in an aura of blue and red energy each intensifying as moments passed.
But Kagome seemed quite oblivious to the energy she was giving off. Sesshoumaru didn't show any surprise but inside he was amazed. He could hardly believe such power from so small a being.
 
“Oh is that so? So I'm worthless and so is my family.”
 
“I said most. Perhaps you and your family are not as redundant but time will tell whether you truly are of a noble character.”
 
As Sesshoumaru said this, his youki retreated back inside his being and Kagome's blue ki flooded the room. Suddenly, everything lightened up a little. Inutaisho could not but be surprised, his son backing off from a challenge? It was something unheard of. Perhaps he respected the young miko more than he first let on.
 
Kagome's eyes narrowed slightly. Why is he backing off? Humph, I'm just human, so he says.
 
Sesshoumaru relented for the time being. He was more than surprised at Kagome's reaction. She was unlike any human he'd met. Fearless and seemingly proud of her place in the world. Maybe I was mistaken that she had no power. All it needs is training.
 
“Perhaps, we've overextended our welcome. Miko-sama, thank you for having us.”
 
“Oh no, it is my pleasure.”
 
So the trio said their farewells, mostly Inutaisho, and left the temple.
 
Kagome excused herself and went back to her room. Slowly, she took off the kimono and let down her hair. The kimono and ivory comb were placed with care into their respective boxes. She took a simple violet yukata with yellow flowers out and headed to take a bath.
 
As she settled into the warm water, her thoughts roamed back to her own time. While her mother worried about her, she'd had agreed it would be best for Kagome to stay until her mission was completed. It had now been two years since she returned. Souta would be starting middle school soon. Hmm, I miss Mom and Souta. Maybe I can go visit them before I have to m-marry him…no, wait, damn! The well was sealed the moment I entered this world, I can't go back until I finish my task. Great, all I have to do is defeat Naraku and make sure he doesn't get the jewel in my body or in the shrine. Kagome finished washing up and collected herself before returned to the dining room to help clean up.
 
When she entered the room however, her mother was sitting waiting for her.
 
“Kagome, come sit down.”
 
Kagome sat down across from her mother knowing what was coming.
 
“Kagome, I know you can't stand being talked down to but that is no way to treat a guest. I'm sure your mother in the future taught you proper manners. I know you must return to the future when your task is done but for the time being you need not live in misery with him. So do your best to get along with him.”
 
“Yes I know, I'm sorry…I-I lost my temper. I've never talked to like that in my life even by people who bullied me. He was so cruel, cold and unfeeling.”
 
“Listen, I don't know much about that family but I know the elder brother has been through some trauma through his life and perhaps he is seeking refuge in his own heart.”
 
Kagome frowned, Like me…how strange…I wonder who he lost.
 
“Yes, mother, I'm sorry. Please excuse me.”
 
 
&&&&&&&&&&
 
 
Sesshoumaru sat in his own library at the seaside manor fuming. He could hardly believe that girl. She was barely out of childhood. Yet, she was either brave enough or foolish enough to challenge him. So, she wants a challenge hmm? Oh, I'll give her one.
 
Meanwhile, Sesshoumaru's father sat in his study. He could tell his son was extremely annoyed by that girl but underlying the anger, he could sense a need to find out more about the young miko in his son. His other son, on the other hand, was quite happily lost in a daydream about the elder sister. The situation was getting interesting.
 
A knock at the door, however, broke his thoughts.
 
“Enter”
 
A small nekoyoukai entered the room.
 
“My lord, I have brought reports of the repairs progressing on the main manor and movements of Naraku and his armies.”
 
“Very well, thank you.”
 
He examined the report about the repairs first. The masons reported repairs should be finished in a few days and the royal family could return in about a week. The next report about Naraku however was not as pleasant. From what his allies, the Eastern and Northern Lands, could surmise, Naraku had escaped to the South. The Southern lord, a proud eagleyoukai, had long held alliances with Naraku believing he could gain control of the other lands. However, Naraku had betrayed his ally, killed him and took over his lands. Naraku threatened all the humans and youkai living within the lands, he would kill the women and children he held hostage. The Southern lands were the smallest of the four, the area being less than 10,000 square kilometers.
 
Inutaisho sensed grave danger in this. Surely, with the South behind him (whether by choice or threats), he would come after the Shikon No Tama. The Higurashi Temple was in danger. He could not guarantee his patrols could catch any of Naraku's assassins. He must warn them or perhaps remove them to a safer location.
 
So, he took a sheet of stationary from a corner of his desk and a brush and began to write…
 
To The Higurashi Temple and Residents
 
Miko-sama, I regret to inform you that you are in grave danger from Naraku. I have received information that he has taken over the Southern Lands by force. He will soon come after the Shikon No Tama residing within your daughter, Kagome. I must ask that you come to the seaside manor. Then when the repairs on the main house are finished, I would ask that you and your family reside there until danger has passed. Please do not worry for the safety to my sons and myself. We would be in no less danger if you did not come. Please for you own safety.
 
InuTaisho, Lord Taiyouki of the Western Lands
 
Inutaisho carefully sealed the letter and had a servant send it with the fastest messenger he could.
 
This turn of events disturbed Inutaisho. He had a feeling Naraku would soon attack them.
 
Ly:Yay, I finally figured out what the deal was with my story!
 
IM: Hmm, what are you cheering about?
 
Ly: I figured out our mistake in the plot!!
 
IM: K, good for you…<sweatdrop>