InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Camomile Tea ❯ Chapter Seven ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Seven
 
Kagome woke the next morning, sunlight streaming into her room from an open window. Now that the room was well lit, Kagome looked around at it and was surprised to find the room rather modern in its own way. Not that any of the furniture were modern in their design but the color of the room was rather unusual. The paper covering the shoji screens were a lovely shade of cerulean blue. The floor was a beautiful dark cherry hardwood. The bed which Kagome had spent the night was a soft feather mattress set on a low cedar frame.
 
“Miko-sama?” Kagome looked towards the door.
 
“Yes, please come in.” A dark-haired youkai slid open the door, entered gracefully carrying a tray and shut the door. She carefully set the tray down on the low table at the bed before turning to face Kagome.
 
“I trust you slept well, milady?”
 
“Er..yes, I did, thank you.” Kagome blushed slightly. She felt very awkward being called such a title. The youkai smiled softly at her embarrassment.
 
“You need not feel awkward, milady. I call you such because you deserve a title for your position as a guest in milord's household. Also you are powerful, so the respect is not given lightly.”
 
Kagome was mildly but pleasantly surprised by this frank answer.
 
“Thank you…”
 
“It is my pleasure, milady. Please summon me should you feel weak or require something.” Said the youkai before turning to leave.
 
“Wait, what's your name?”
 
The youkai turned back with a surprised look on her face. She looked as though she didn't think Kagome cared much what her name was but, in that moment, was proven very wrong.
 
“I am called Sora, milady.”
 
“Thank you for your kindness, Sora. I'm called Kagome.” Sora felt her heart warm looking at this little slip of a girl smiling at her as though she were an old friend.
No human I have ever met has asked me what my name was…
 
“You're more than welcome, Kagome-sama. Good day to you. And please, continue resting. The healer was able to rid you of that spider scratched into your neck but we suspect the object used to make it was tinted with some sort of miasma. You may feel weak for some time.”
 
“Thank you Sora. Will I see you around some time?”
 
“Perhaps, milady.” Said Sora with a smile before quietly leaving the room.
 
Kagome blinked. How odd. The youkai here seem so different than the ones I've seen out in the forests and mountains…
 
&&&&&&&&&&&&& &&&&&&&&
 
By the afternoon, Kagome was thoroughly bored out of her mind. She had nothing to do. Absolutely nothing, she had lazed around her room for nearly six hours. She got off her bed and strode over to the window for what seemed the millionth time. Below her window was a pretty little garden with all sorts of blossoms and bushes crowded around a fresh square of soil. It seemed strange to Kagome that any of the youkai in the grand manor would keep it. It looked very personal. That is until she saw a white-haired youkai walk out to the garden holding a roughly hewn stone. He carefully place the stone up in the square of soil and pushed it into the earth. Kagome now saw there was writing on the stone but from her window, she couldn't read what the kanji said.
 
The figure knelt before the stone with his head bowed as though praying. After a few moments, he stood up and returned back within the manor.
 
Just as Kagome was about ready to just leave room, a knock came at the door.
 
“Kagome-sama?”
 
“Yes?” The door slid open and this time a youkai with flaming red hair and brilliant orange eyes stepped in the room. Kagome immediately got the impression that this youkai was very bright (pardon the pun) and open in her manner.
 
“How are you feeling, milady?”
 
“I'm alright. Is something wrong?”
 
“Oh no. I was sent to inquire if you are well enough to join milord and his other guests for dinner. That is your family and his for the most part.”
 
“ I think I can but I have nothing to wear.”
 
“Dinner won't start for some time. I'll be sure to have some proper clothes brought for you.”
 
“Thank you. May I ask your name?” The youkai's smile brightened and she relaxed as Sora had and said,
 
“My name is Chiharu, milady. I was with you here the last night when you arrived.”
 
“Ah I see. Thank you, Chiharu.” The youkai continued smiling before bowing and leaving the room. Kagome sat for a while, she liked it here so far but she still was not sure what to think. Her energy was always at the forefront now with all the youki pulsing softly around her. But the youki didn't feel negative, it was warm and comforting, beckoning her to relax and heal within itself.
 
A while later, yet another knock came at the door. Kagome had been staring aimlessly out the window. She wasn't used to this kind of confinement even if it was for her own good.
 
“Yes?”
 
“Kagome-sama. I have your kimono for dinner apparel.”
 
“Right, come in.”
 
Chiharu came in with an armful of kimonos and under-kimonos in a whole myriad of colors. Sky blue, soft pinks, red, sunshine yellows and navy. The list just went on and on. Kagome stared as she set the whole pile down on the bed.
 
“Erm…do I need to try so many?”
 
“You are going to wear six layers so we must pick the colors that look the best with your features and coloring.”
 
“Six? Why so many?”
 
Chiharu looked at her and smiled soothingly.
 
“Be glad it's only six, milady. The Lady of the Western Lands, on special occasions, wears up to sixteen.”*
 
Kagome blanched. Sixteen?! Wow, the most I've ever worn was three.
 
So the process began. First they thought Kagome should wear a black robe as the last layer, closest to her skin. Then a navy one next. A soft orchid next. Then a pale gold one and as the under-kimono, a pale blue. The actual kimono was a navy one depicting a calm pond and violet and green damselflies dancing over it.
 
The obi was just as beautiful as the kimono. It was a brighter blue than the kimono with a sakura tree flowing around giving the impression that, together with the kimono, a quiet scene by a pond was unfolding. A small cluster of pale pink blossoms bloomed every five or six inches on the branches of the tree
 
Finally, after Chiharu finished tying the obi, Kagome took a look in the mirror standing opposite her bed next to a teak armoir. She gasped. She'd never in her life worn something so lovely. She was positive the kimono would cost more than what she earned at her part-time job in one year. Her eyes shone brightly.
 
“Now milady, your hair…”
 
“Chiharu? Can we just leave it down? I think it looks better that way.”
 
Chiharu considered her for a moment.
 
“Yes, milady, I simply wish to brush it and make sure there are no tangles and the such.”
 
“Thank you.”
 
After she finished, Chiharu stood up and motioned Kagome to join her.
 
Kagome frowned, she knew that as early as the Heian period, aristocratic women wore cosmetics. Even though she wasn't an aristocrat, she was sure she had to conform.
 
“Chiharu? Don't I need to wear cosmetics of some kind.”
 
Chiharu gave a secret smile and said, “The cosmetics would only hide your natural beauty. Milord appreciates the aesthetics when it comes to people though he'd never say so out loud.”
 
Kagome was taken slightly aback at the last comment. Chiharu can't mean Inutaisho…I'm positive he's old enough to be my great-great grandfather, though he certainly looks as though he's only 20 something…oh…she couldn't mean Sesshoumaru…No, she couldn't, could she?
 
Chiharu continued to smile at Kagome's confusion.
 
“Now, you are ready. Come, milady.”
 
Kagome was just beside herself. She couldn't believe Chiharu was talking about Sesshoumaru. It just seemed impossible. He was so cold and frigid to her that she couldn't believe he appreciated beauty. She could imagine him thinking it was a waste of time.
 
Kagome, then, followed her out the door, down the corridor, turning into a larger hall and into a small banquet room. The room was again, modern in its color scheme. A pastel yellow silk covered the walls instead of shoji screens. A few scrolls of poems and landscapes covered some of the walls. Kagome was directed to sit next to Sesshoumaru with her mother on her left and Sesshoumaru on her right.
 
The table was a beautiful rosewood. What was unique was the table's beveled edge and legs were covered with fanciful carvings of tennyo, cranes and phoenixes dancing around the edge of the table.
 
Kagome sat primly with her hands folded in her lap. She didn't move her head but glanced about the table. Her mother, ji-chan and Inutaisho were conversing amiably. Kikyo, who was across from her, was chatting softly with Inuyasha. Occasionally, she would giggle lightly at one of his jokes. The mood was light and pleasurable for all but two.
 
“You're looking well.”
 
Kagome slowly turned her head to look at Sesshuomaru. His face was turned slightly observe her. Kagome unconsciously shifted body back away from him.
 
“Thank you.” She managed stiffly.
 
“Are you fond of written work?”
 
Kagome raised an eyebrow. Yes, she was but why on earth would he care? He'd already been rude to her. Now, he was deciding to be nice. She couldn't understand his motives, he seemed almost bi-polar in his reactions to her.
 
“Yes.”
 
“Perhaps, you would be so kind as to accompany me to the library afterward?”
 
“Why, I had not…I thank you, yes.”
 
Kagome seethed. Why could I not think of an excuse?!
 
Servants entered carrying tray upon tray of food.
 
The kinds of food were varied and definitely varied. Throughout the meal, Kagome tasted foods that were familiar yet unfamiliar to her. Sashimi of innumerous kinds of fish and different vegetable dishes were placed before them. The rice, however, was very fine and lightly sweet in flavor.
 
As they ate, Kagome kept to herself for the most part. She occasionally jumped in on the adult conversation as well as her sister and Inuyasha's when invited.
 
“I hope you are enjoying the meal, miko-sama.” Inutaisho said.
 
“Kagome glanced towards him, her mother and Ji-chan as they continued their conversation.
 
“Oh yes. The finest meal I've had the pleasure of enjoying. We live very simply at our shrine. I think perhaps this meal might be too glamorous for me. I am but a miko and a servant of god.”
 
“A most eloquent answer, miko-sama. I do often envy the life you all live at your shrine. So simple and free, no meetings and territory to worry about.”
 
Kagome however was getting more and more uncomfortable. The longer the meal went, the more she hoped it would never end. But all too soon, the servants came to fetch the empty dishes. Inutaisho invited Kagome and her family to do what they pleased but to not stray beyond the grounds and gardens of the manor.
 
“Thank you, Inutaisho-sama.” Said Kagome's mother.
 
Sesshoumaru now stood up. Looking down at Kagome, he waited until he had her attention and motioned for her to stand up and follow him. Kagome could do nothing and did as he requested.
 
Out of the hall, they walked turning left into the larger corridor, going straight then another left. The hallway they turned into held only a set of double sliding doors. Sesshoumaru proceeded to towards it, opened one of the doors and motioned Kagome inside with a slight incline of his head. Kagome entered the room. Her heart skipped a beat as she looked around.
 
“Sesshoumaru, do these all belong to your family?”
 
“No, they're all, in actuality, mine.”
 
“Nani?!” Sesshoumaru winced at her shrill reply. Kagome noticed a slight change in expression on his face.
 
“Gomen. I forgot you have very acute hearing.”
 
Sesshoumaru simply accepted the apology with a nod and continued.
 
“Our manor is very large. Part of it is obscured but my father's library is a bit larger.”
 
Kagome turned her attention back to the immense library. The room or more appropriately cathedral housed from what Kagome could count from her vantage point almost 50 shelves of books. Shelves were also set into the walls around the room. The toom was softly lit by candles dotted here and there on tops of shelves, on tables and in candelabras on the walls. Against one wall, there were no chelves but instead a large marble fireplace with a fire crackling softly casting dancing lights all over the cathedral chamber.
 
The ceiling rose to what looked like the roof. The ceiling itself was a peak and on either side of the peak were windows that let in moonlight from the full moon outside. Staircases on both sides of the doors led up to a balcony that curved around the room. More shelves lined the balcony. The shelves were all a dark mahogany, the floor, a gleaming cherry hardwood. The walls appeared, in the softly lit rom, to be covered in more paintings and poetry.
 
Kagome gave a happy sigh. If there was anything she loved in any world or time, it was books. Books were there for her when friends and family couldn't be. In her modern home, she was seldom alone because of her family, but here she was often left to her own devices besides chores and meals.
 
“Does it displease you?”
 
Kagome started and looked at Sesshoumaru.
 
“No, not at all.”
 
“Do you approve, then, of the library?”
 
He continued staring unwaveringly into her eyes waiting for a response. When, she didn't answer, he asked again. Kagome blinked and gave a small smile.
 
“Yes, very much. I feel there are few who would not approve.”
 
“But your approval is rarely given and therefore more worth the earning.”
 
Kagome's eyes widened and she blushed. How did he know? But it was the truth nonetheless. For Kagome, there were few in the world of whom she really loved and fewer of whom she thought well of. The more she saw of the world, the more dissatisfied she grew with it.
 
Sesshoumaru could not help but give a small smile at her innocence.
 
“Perhaps you'd like to take a look at what I have?”
 
Up until the point when he'd slid open the door to his private library, he'd been expecting Kagome to groan and get bored within five minutes. But to his complete and pleasant surprise, she had not. Grudgingly though he might admit, but she's caught his interest the day she's stood up to him on the grounds of her shrine. Now, he found that she was indeed different from the various female youkai he'd been forced to spend time with. For the past year, his father had been presenting youkai after youkai to him hoping for a match. Inutaisho felt it was time his eldest son married. Sesshoumaru had not been pleased. Each of those youkai he'd met had been hoping to get into his good graces by employing the usual feminine wiles. The giggling, the batting eyelashes, the occasional promises of coming to his private chambers at god knows what hours of the night had thoroughly bored and annoyed him. But yet…this girl was different. She was strong, independent, not afraid to voice herself and Sesshomaru found himself very taken with her.
 
Kagome's blushed deepened as she saw Sesshomaru's smile. The smile was small but it took her breath away. He looked so beautiful with the glow that a smile gave. She stared up at him. Then, she remembered how rude he'd been to her. Now, she was more confused than ever. Inuyasha had said that Sesshomaru was cold and apathetic towards people he didn't know. Had her rather brief stay so far convinced him otherwise of her personality? Unbeknownst to Kagome, Sesshoumaru had been in his library concentrating on her energy and delving into it. She left it totally open to exploration of her personality and memories.
 
Sesshoumaru had been very surprised at what he found. He experienced various feelings. Feelings of grief and extreme pain when her father died and how she'd nearly lost her mother to suicide. Shock of knowing she was forced to bare the burden of an incredible power. Determination in her quest to find and finish the youkai that sought to steal her jewel and kill her. But those had been nothing to what he found in her true emotions. Her energy mirrored what she truly was. The warmest being he'd ever felt, her energy surrounded him when he was in it. It recognized him and to his amazement didn't reject him but embraced him gently.
 
Sesshoumaru was particularly struck by her lose of her father. Like him, she's lost him at a young age, far to young to understand death but yet she had been forced to like him. Sesshoumaru himself had lost his mother long ago. She'd been a beautiful youkai, bright and full of life, like every spring.
 
Kagome looked at him and saw in his eyes or rather felt, a kinship, as though she shared something with him. Something heartbreaking. Unconsciously, tears formed in her eyes and began to fall.
 
Sesshoumaru reached forward and gently wiped the tears from her face.
 
“You feel it too, don't you?”
 
Kagome nodded.
 
“I-I'm sorry.”
 
“There's no need to be. I can help you and I believe you can help me.”
 
Kagome smiled softly through her tears up at him.
 
 
&&&&&&&&&&&&& &&&&&&
 
 
After Kagome finished looking at the books in Sesshoumaru's library, he brought her back to her room. He simply observed her for a moment before bowing chivalrously and leaving her to sleep the tears away.
 
&&&&&&&&&&&&& &&&&&&&
 
*just as a note, during the time period of my fic (I'm thinking late Heian Era, early Feudal), it was fashionable for aristocratic women to wear many layered robes. While this is AU, I'm trying to stick to a historic dress
 
Ly : ah, finally, I update. I know you'll kill me but I hope this chapter might make you feel better, yes?
 
IM : beating crowd back : you know, I really think they will.
 
Ly : no they won't, they want me to finish, they'll kidnap me and threaten me at gun point to finish.
 
IM : Right…ok, hope you liked this chapter, more to come soon (we really mean it this time) please review thanks!