InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Camomile Tea ❯ Chapter Six ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Ly: Hello!
 
IM: `sup…
 
Kag: Um…hi?
 
Ly: Welcome to Chapter Seis, or six if you like. Wondering why I'm welcoming you? Ooh, that'll be my secret. I promise that this chapter will have quite a bit of action, a little fluff and not just the smallest bit of romance, between whom…I won't say…hehehe…I know you hate me….
 
IM: You realize there is a good chance, they may just decide to mob the place and demand you get on with the story.
 
Ly: yeah, that's what makes it fun…
 
Kag: um, Ly? What exactly am I supposed to do?
 
Ly: Nothing much, just sit back, enjoy and try not to scream too loud if anyone gets hurt.
 
Kag: Ok…
 
Chapter Six
 
Naraku sat in his dark study contemplating what to do first. Why, there were sooo many tantalizing options, he just couldn't choose. Ah, I know, I'll go after that little miko. She'd be the perfect wife and, heheheh, slave.
 
A knock came at the door.
 
“Enter”
 
A haggard looking Kagura entered the study.
 
“So, you've returned, my dear daughter.”
 
Naraku sniggered inwardly when he saw her glare at him, he knew she wanted nothing more than for him to be gone and just let her go. But, she was far too valuable and not to mention she knew too much.
 
“Yes, Naraku-sama.” Kagura replied barely forcing the title out of her clenched teeth. With Naraku still in possession of her heart, it was practically impossible for her to do anything outside of his desire or she'd face her own hideous and not exactly quiet death.
 
“So, Kagura,” Naraku continued, “I see that once again you have failed me, yes?”
 
Kagura's eyes widened slightly. Her appearance wasn't exactly one of a victor but it certainly wasn't enough to give away her failure.
“Ah, you thought I didn't know.” Naraku cooed. He gave the red, beating heart within his grasp a sharp squeeze. Kagura felt pain shoot through her chest and fell to her knees clutching it.
 
Naraku's eyes continued watching the demoness writhe in pain. He'd seen her fail hours ago through the mirror that Kagura herself had gotten for him. The mirror was no ordinary mirror; the ancients called it the Mirror of the Grave and still bears that name today. The mirror was said to have been made by kami himself and given to the ruler of Hell. The mirror could show anything happening in any place in the world at the time of use and could suck away a 100,000 souls if given enough power. Naraku obviously didn't have enough for that but certainly 100 souls.
 
Finally, he released her heart and plopped in back in the jar where it'd been sitting.
 
Kagura felt the pain in her chest abate and held her head bowed not daring to look up. She could practically feel Naraku's anger as though it was a living entity.
 
Naraku gave her one last incensed stare before saying, “Leave me!”
 
Kagura stood up, made a hurried bow and slinked from the room.
 
Naraku thought for a moment…At least it wasn't a severely important mission or she wouldn't still be living, still this does cause some complications and our plans must be delayed.
 
“IT'S ALL THAT DAMN MIKO'S FAULT!”
 
Naraku slammed his fist into the table that he was sitting next to and shattered it.
 
He owed her at least some pain for delaying his plans.
 
Naraku called for his servant.
 
“Send me Toorima.”
 
“Yes, milord.”
 
A few minutes later, a lithe, dark-haired youkai entered the room.
 
“What mission do you have for me, milord?”
 
“There is a small group of humans accompanied by two demons heading for the Manor of the Western Lands, in that group, there is a woman-child with black hair and blue eyes, see that you cause her a decent amount of pain, do not kill her and don't touch the others, am I understood?”
 
“Yes, milord.”
 
&&&&&&&&&&&&& &
 
The sun was setting in the west as two clouds glided across the sky. Upon the two clouds each sat three figures. Kagome was on the cloud of the female neko-youkai, Kuroyuri.
 
She had no idea how long they'd been floating along seeing as she didn't have a watch on but it had to have been over two or three hours. Suddenly, she felt a youkai presence fast approaching from the south.
 
“Kuroyuri-san, do you feel that?”
 
The neko-youkai jerked her head southward, suddenly her eyes widened.
 
“Yes, milady, I do.”
 
Suddenly, the cloud floated rapidly earthward. Once the cloud settled, the neko-youkai grabbed Kagome and her sister and unceremoniously stuffed them into some bushes.
 
“Milady, for you own safety, don't leave this bush until I come to retrieve, try not to speak or move too much and hide your aura and scent if you can.”
 
A few moments later, her mother and grandfather were pushed into some bushes next to her own.
 
“Okaa-san? Ji-chan?”
 
“We're here, Kagome. What's going on?” her mother whispered.
 
“I don't know, I felt a youki from the south but I didn't have to chance to identify it. Kuroyuri-san felt it too and suddenly she looked very frightened.”
 
Sounds of battle drifted from the clearing Kuroyuri and Hanta ran to after they left the group in the bushes. Clangs of metal against metal, dull thwacks and thuds echoed in the surrounding wood. Suddenly, a shriek of pain erupted.
 
“Kuro!!!”
 
Kagome tensed, she froze for a moment and made to get up. Kikyo grabbed her.
 
“No, Kagome you mustn't! You'll be killed if you go out to try and help!”
 
“But I can't sit here and do nothing while they get killed! I've got to do something!”
 
Kagome wrenched her arm out of Kikyo's grasp and stood up.
 
She carefully crept to the clearing. The sight that met her eyes made her retch inwardly. The ground around was splattered with dark puddles of blood. Trunks of trees were ripped and slashed, blood dripping from a few. A dark-haired youkai stood in the middle. Off to the side, Hanta was cradling a fatally wounded Kuroyuri; he seemed to whispering to her.
 
The dark-haired youkai suddenly laughed.
 
“Ha, you honestly she'll survive to see a doctor? I'll make it easier on her passing and SEND YOU BOTH!!”
 
With that last cry, he threw a hailstorm of razor-sharp daggers made of his youki at them. The rain of youki threw up the dust in the clearing and for a moment nothing could be seen. The youkai smiled triumphantly.
 
Suddenly, the smile melted off his face as the cloud cleared and a blue-eyed girl stood between him and the two youkai. The girl's hair whipped around her; having fallen out of the ponytail she put it up in. Her blue-gray eyes burned as she stared him down.
A smirk appeared on his face.
 
“So, you must be the infamous miko I've heard so much about. My orders were for you alone but I couldn't resist having a little fun with those two either. They put up quite a fight.” The youkai said licking the blood off his claws.
 
Without warning, he suddenly appeared behind and grabbed her around the neck and threw her into a tree. Kagome groaned as she slid to the ground, the world around her swirled with black and she could barely see. The youkai sniggered, strode up to her inert figure, bent down and scratched a small spider into her neck.
 
“A present,” he hissed, “From my master.”
 
With that he was gone.
 
&&&&&&&&&&&&& &&
 
Kagome woke up a few hours later and sat up.
 
“Oh, my h-head…”
 
“Milady, please don't try to get up. You are still unwell.”
 
Kagome looked around with watering eyes and saw a figure watching her with usually bright eyes. Night had already fallen when she woke up.
 
“What time is it?”
 
“A little while after sunset, milady.”
 
“You don't have to keep calling me that.”
 
“I must, milady. `Tis a sign of disrespect for me not to. Not only are you a miko but a guest in milord's household. I surely would be punished for not doing so.”
 
“Well, I don't want you punished, so, I guess I'll have to deal with it for the time being.”
 
“Thank you for understanding, milady.”
 
“Wait, where am I?”
 
“You are in the house of the Ruler of the Western Lands, Inutaisho-sama.”
 
“Right.”
 
Kagome's stomach abruptly growled loudly.
 
“Are you hungry, milady? I can fetch you something from the kitchen.”
 
The paper-covered door suddenly opened and a figure appeared in the doorway carrying a tray of food.
 
“That won't be necessary, Chiharu.”
 
“Yes, milord.”
 
The figure stood and bowed out of the room.
 
The figure standing in the door moved into the light. Kagome's face registered shock and then hardened. It was Sesshoumaru.
 
However when she spoke, her voice revealed nothing of her abhorrence of him.
 
“Sesshoumaru-sama, why do you come with food instead of sending a servant?”
 
He simply eyed her mysteriously for a moment, said nothing and set the food down on the low table at the end of where Kagome was sitting in her bed.
 
“Are you well, Higurashi-san?”
 
Kagome grew more puzzled by the moment, not only did he bring her food, he was asking how she was. Definitely not consistent with what he said to me last time we met…still…Kagome stared into his cold face, he said it so impersonally, as though he was asking a soldier how they were.
 
“I am well, thank you.”
 
“Good.”
 
He could sense the coldness of her response. He then stood up and bid her good night before gracefully walking from the room.
 
Kagome stared after him for a moment, slightly unsure of what to think. Two days ago, he showed he wanted nothing more than to do absolutely nothing with her. The small gesture of bringing her a meal brought a little warmth to her heart. Warmth that was much needed.