InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Captive Inu ❯ Chapter 4

[ A - All Readers ]

Dinner had been awfully awkward for Kagome. In Sesshomaru's home, she was technically a servant, which meant she was not supposed to sit at the same table as the lord of the palace himself. Only important members of the house, such as Rin, a select few of Sesshomaru's high ranking soldiers, including Kazu -who Kagome had learned was one of the West's top three generals- were allowed to dine at this table. And of course Sesshomaru himself.

 

She'd chosen a seat at the far end of the table, hoping to be invisible to the others, but that was an epic failure. Everyone save for Rin and Sesshomaru had stared at her the majority of the meal, making Kagome's appetite diminish even though she was near starving. Rin sat next to her, chattering between messy bites. Others attempted at light conversation with Kagome, but again she hadn't been very responsive, only giving little nods here and there.

 

She'd felt Sesshomaru's eyes on her every now and then, but she hadn't looked up, fearing her face would flush in remembrance of her earlier embarrassment. Other servants who passed through bringing food in and out flashed envious glances at Kagome, some even making rude gestures. She ignored them to the best of her ability, though a muscle in her eyebrow continued to tick. She didn't want to cause any trouble here in the Western Palace, but she was by no means a pushover. If push came to shove then she was going to beat the smug out of several of Sesshomaru's servants.

 

She thought about his threat to hand her over to her former captor, and shivered distastefully. Then again, maybe that wouldn't be such a great idea.

 

After the meal was over, Rin asked Kagome to stay with her in her room until she fell asleep, but Kagome gently explained to her that she had to attend a meeting with Sesshomaru. The girl looked to be close to tears, so Kagome had promised to try and join her the following night. Now standing outside Sesshomaru's study, she lightly tapped on the shoji screen door. He bid her enter and she did, closing the door behind herself.

 

Kagome allowed her eyes to wander all about the room. She eyed the shelves neatly filled with scrolls and books and a few other nameless objects. There was one big window on the far wall that overlooked a small garden that was surround by rose bushes. A Sakura tree that was shedding the last of its blossoms towered the garden. It probably would have shaded the place had it been fully blossomed during the spring and summer.

 

Off to the left sat Sesshomaru behind a wide low polished desk that had neat pile of unrolled scrolls covering its surface. Behind it, Sesshomaru looked up from the scroll he'd been reading and placed his cold eyes on her. Grudgingly, Kagome bowed.

 

"You wished to see me, Sesshomaru-sama?" She asked. Sourness clogged her throat at having to address him like so, but she did what was necessary not to anger him. He already disliked her on a great scale. No sense encouraging that dislike, at least not at the moment since he was about to decide her fate.

 

"Hn," Sesshomaru said, sounding amused. It was as if he knew it damn near killed her to address him so properly and took amusement in the knowledge. "I did."

 

Kagome straightened. He indicated one of the two cushions seats that sat before his desk facing him. Kagome quietly padded over and sat down as gracefully as she could. She gave a little wince at the pressure on a leg that was still recovering from being broken. Her ribs were in the same condition, though the plush obi about her waist cushioned her torso, making the pain hardly noticeable.

 

Finding a comfortable position to remain in, Kagome looked up at the icy lord expectantly. He had an annoyed look as if to say, "are you done?" Kagome gave him a sugary smile, knowing it irked his nerves. "Then let's get started, shall we?"

 

He glared. "Hn. Very well then, wench." He smirked when he saw the tick in her eyebrow. "I do not care much for a preamble, so tell me everything from beginning to end. Starting with who you are. And remember: first scent of a lie, your fate is sealed."

 

Kagome ignored the dramatic way he said those words, even if his tone didn't change. She forced herself to relax. She took a deep breath, held it, and let it out, as if meditating. Ha, she needed more than meditation when it came to dealing with her blank past. "It happened what seemed like an eternity ago.

 

"The first thing I remember is sitting in a clearing, one I was familiar with. The year was 1213, I think, and I was waiting on someone, a friend, but I can't remember who he was. Of even what his name was or what he looks like."

 

"You cannot remember anything about this friend, yet you know it was male?" Sesshomaru said, obviously not believing her.

 

Kagome frowned. It did sound suspicious, even to her own ears, but it was the truth. "Hai. I believe we have been friends for a long time, because I was thinking of him fondly at the time."

 

"Would this male have been more than a friend?"

 

His face didn't change, but something about his tone did, just barely. Had he been anyone else Kagome would have thought the tone to be jealousy. "I don't know, honestly." He didn't seem very pleased with her answer, but she didn't ponder it. "Anyways, I was just sitting there, waiting on him. I hadn't expected anyone to creep up on me, so I let my guard down, foolishly. Then they came out of nowhere."

 

"They?"

 

"Dragons. I remember their scents. I didn't sense them until it was too late." She tilted her head to the side, still trying to remember who it was she was supposed to be waiting for.

 

"Dragons are forbidden from leaving the eastern lands. They have not been allowed to leave for years now. That being the case, you had to have been in the east at the time." His tone hardened at the underlying accusation.

 

Kagome rushed to defend herself. "As I said previously, I'm not completely sure how long I've been trapped in the east. What I do know is that I wasn't in the east at the time. I'm positive of that because the eastern portion of Japan feels different. More...I don't know, sinister or something." She shook her head and ignored his muttered, 'convenient'. "I tried to fight the dragons, but there were too many of them." She rubbed her temple, remembering being struck there. "I was hit by something hard, then I blacked out.

 

"The next memory I have was waking up in some kind of hut. There were lots of dragons nearby, too many to have been anywhere but the east. There were two voices nearby. They were talking about me, I knew, but I'd lost too much blood to hear or even see very well. I fell unconscious again. The next time I woke up I was laying on a futon, one that smelled horrible. The only other person in the room with me was a man- a hanyou, actually." Kagome felt her heartbeat speed. This was where the terror truly began.

 

**Flashback**

 

She lay on her back, staring wide-eyed at the male. She couldn't move. Something kept her paralyzed, unable to move anything but her eyes. Her inner demon was as immobile as she was physically, the beast eerily silent. She was panicking, something she didn't think she'd ever done before.

 

"The lady awakens," the male said. His voice was deep and sinister, making her break out in cold sweat. A pale face could be seen from the depth of the shadows. Narrow blood red eyes stared at her hungrily, while the corner of his lips were turned up in a smile that did nothing to ease the danger that seemed to swirl about him. He toyed with a lock of his loose crinkly black hair as he watched her calmly.

 

Her mouth worked, but no words came out. 'What's going on?' She meant to ask.

 

The hanyou strolled towards her. "Do you remember anything, milady?"

 

She struggled hard to remember how she'd ended up there. Her mind came up blank. She couldn't even remember her own name. She didn't know who this hanyou was, but she knew from the ominous feeling that swirled in the air around him he was definitely foe.

 

As if reading her thoughts, the hanyou's smile widened and he kneeled down beside her. She tried to shrink away from him, but couldn't. His hair fell forward as he leaned over her. "Such beauty," he said and stroked a gentle, almost loving finger over her cheek, leaving behind a cold trail.

 

At his touch, images flashed before her eyes. They widened in horror. The images were not her own, but memories belonging to the hanyou. So...much...blood. Hot tears fell down her face as she watched as countless bodies, both ningen and youkai, men, women, even children, fell and lay lifeless on the ground. Many looked to have died in the worst ways possible. So much carnage, so much loss! Screams of pain and fear and sorrow filled her head, making her heart race. No being could have possibly been so malevolently immoral, so...evil to have done this.

 

"Oh, but I am," the hanyou said. He chuckled, the sound making her wince. He moved his face close to hers and inhaled deeply. "The smell of your fear is intoxicating, my dear. I am going to enjoy playing with you."

 

In her mind, she screamed. Outside, she could do nothing but cry. The hanyou laughed again, and began to slide his loose haori top off his broad shoulders. "Do me a favor and keep being afraid," he whispered, and forced his lips on hers.

 

**END FLASHBACK**

 

Kagome stared forward at nothing in particular. That particular memory was the beginning of a never ending nightmare. The remembrance of it all brought on a fresh wave of fear. The hanyou had known that she didn't fear him, but rather all that he'd done. He'd also discovered that her biggest fear above anything else was failure to protect others. He'd used that to his advantage over and over again.

 

Her breathing was labored as images arose to her mind, bringing on a fresh wave of emotions she'd long ago forced herself to forget.

 

...

 

The wench wasn't lying. If she was, she was very good at hiding it then, Sesshomaru thought. He couldn't sense a trace of deception in her scent or aura. There wasn't a creature alive who's ability to sense things was greater than an Inudaiyoukai, nor was there a creature alive who could hide such things from one.

 

He thought over her story, and came to a realization, a couple of them, in fact.

 

Kagome heard Sesshomaru say something, but it was muffled. Her mind was too far away for her to comprehend. She had sworn that she would kill that hanyou who'd done all he had to her. Only after she regained her full strength, however much that was, would she go back and finish that bastard off or die trying. Afterwards she would come back and then try to find out who she really was.

 

That's assuming she succeeded, of course.

 

Something struck her forehead and she blinked. A huge bump formed big enough for her to see if she looked up with her eyes. Her mouth fell wide open. She touched it lightly and gasped. "Ow ow ow ow!"

 

She looked to the side of herself, noted the empty teacup, and then looked up at Sesshomaru. He looked perfectly calm, though humor shone in his eyes. "Now that I have your attention, I must address something."

 

Kagome, surprised that he didn't bother with an apology, only stared, words failing her.

 

"You claimed the year was 1213 the day you were taken," he continued.

 

The bastard still didn't bother apologizing! If she weren't so cautious of his decision of what to do with her right now she would have reached over the desk and choked the baka. Instead, she nodded.

 

The humor left his eyes as they narrowed. "That was three centuries ago."

 

At first, Kagome didn't quite comprehend that, but when she did, the blood drained from her head and she felt as if she were going to faint. Only three centuries?! She'd been trapped in that hellhole for three bloody centuries? It was always dark where she'd been. Always. It had been impossible to tell time. What felt like an eternity had actually been three centuries. She was both shocked that she'd managed to survive so long, and disappointed that it had only been a short time frame. At least, a short time frame for most youkai.

 

"Did you hear me, wench? Must I throw another object at that daft head of yours?" She heard Sesshomaru ask. She would have glared or came back with an angry retort if she weren't so shocked.

 

"Hai," she answered quietly. Her voice sounded distant to her own ears.

 

Sesshomaru's mouth turned down at the corners. "You are telling me that you've been trapped in the east for 300 years, and have lived just as long."

 

Kagome shrugged. "Look, I know my story doesn't make a lot of sense. Hell, had I not lived it myself I would not have even believed me. But I know what I've been through. I may not know who I am, but I do know that I would never make up a story like that, even if I were trying to save myself."

 

Sesshomaru stared coldly at her for a while, as if determining the truth of her words. No doubt most would have cowered under such a look, but not Kagome. She met his gaze head on, refusing to be intimidated.

 

At last, he gave a "Hn" and moved on with his interrogation. "Another thing, this hanyou. He is your master, hai?"

 

"He is NOT my master," she snarled. "Was he the one who's kept me trapped for so long? Hai."

 

Sesshomaru ignored the first part of that. "So you would be able to recognize him if you saw him again?"

 

Kagome rolled her eyes. "Of course I'd recognize that bastard. If not his face, then his scent."

 

"What is he?"

 

Kagome wasn't exactly following his line of questioning, but she answered anyways. "He is a spider hanyou. Mixed with ningen."

 

Sesshomaru's frown deepened. Suddenly, Kagome came to a realization. Cautiously, she asked, "You know him, don't you?"

 

Sesshomaru shrugged, pushing that aside. "I am curious about something. Had it been myself, not that I would ever be foolish enough have allowed someone to kidnap me for three centuries, I would have been bloodthirsty with rage to seek revenge on my captor. I assume most youkai would have been. Ningen are the ones who may run and hide away, their lives forever ruined with madness over the torment. You seem quite calm, yet actually fear the thought of seeing the hanyou again. Which are you?"

 

Kagome clenched her teeth. "In the entire time frame of three centuries, I'm not sure what it was the hanyou gave me, but it's kept me drugged to the point where I could hardly move. Plus with his many types of abuses and failure to feed me on occasion, I've become increasingly weak. I only escaped two days ago. I've been running from the hanyou's men since then. When I ran into you, you attacked me, breaking more of my bones and causing me to lose even more blood than I'd already had. I cannot remember the last time I was ever strong enough to use more than my Inu poison claws." The memory of the mysterious pink light shooting from her body briefly came to mind, but she forced it aside. She hadn't wanted to dwell on that. It only added on to the very long list of her questionable person. "I'm sure in your almighty eyes that is only an excuse to cover up my weakness, but it is why I have been 'quite calm'."

 

Sesshomaru only raised a silver brow at her mocking of him, but Kagome continued on. "And I do not fear that bastard. He holds a certain power over me, hai, but that has nothing to do with why I'm not ready to see him so soon. Trust me, I would gladly walk right up to him and cut him down where he stands, but obviously I'm not in any condition to fight him. Yet. But note this: I will have my revenge on him, Sesshomaru-sama. Though I am tired and need to rest at the moment, once my full strength has returned to me, I will seek the halfbreed out and give him what he deserves. Nothing and no one will stand in my way of that."

 

At that last statement she met his narrowed eyes with a dark glare of her own. It was a promise she had long ago vowed to fulfill, one she would soon carry out.

 

'The wench is strong,' Sesshomaru thought. He didn't know if he could say the same for her fighting skills or not, but at least he knew she had a will that would not be broken. A rather admirable trait, considering he hadn't really liked her since meeting her.

 

She was also not as dimwitted as he'd originally thought. He'd said most, including himself, would have dove head first into a furious rage seeking revenge, but that was only to test her reaction. In truth, he would have waited until he regained his strength before doing so. The initial claim would have been a foolish act on anyone's part. Yet, she was smart enough to wait it out.

 

To have endured all she had for so long and still remain standing with her head held high was a feat even some of the strongest of men probably could not have done. Not included Sesshomaru himself, of course. He now had a slither of respect for her, though he'd never actually tell the wench so.

 

Kagome simply stared in Sesshomaru's beautiful amber eyes, annoyed that she couldn't tell what he was thinking. Maybe she shouldn't have made that last statement in such a threatening manner. She was supposed to be nice to him in order to get him to keep her here, not give off hostile vibes. She forced herself to remain as calm as possible. She'd told him the complete truth of all that she knew, had even told him of the embarrassing moment she'd first met the hanyou. Surely he couldn't be cold hearted as to simply give her back to him?

 

After several moments of awkward silence, Sesshomaru finally spoke out, his deep voice startling her. "I will allow you to stay here."

 

Kagome's head jerked up in surprise. "W-what?"

 

He seemed annoyed, but continued. "I scented no lies coming from your mouth. I assume you were telling the truth in your story. Though there are holes that obviously need to be filled, and in due time I will discover the full truth about you. For now, however, I will allow you to stay here in my home. Your role will be nothing more than Rin's caretaker when I am not available. She seems to have taken a rare liking to you. You will be given the task to stay with her at all times during the day, when she is not at her learning sessions. Other than that, you are free to wander about. It is late, and I sense your need for rest. See to it that you take care of yourself. Soon I will summon you again to finish this discussion. You are dismissed."

 

Kagome rolled her eyes at the simple way he dismissed her, but rose to her feet anyway. She remembered to give a bow before exiting his study and moving to her own room. 'How rude!' She thought. If it was true that she was of nobility, and if Sesshomaru was a model to what she was supposed to be like, then she didn't want anything to do with it!

 

Kagome sighed and thought over all he'd said. Being Rin's caretaker didn't seem so bad. She adored the girl immensely. In truth, she hadn't really expected him to keep her around after their meeting. She'd assumed that if he didn't make the decision to give her back to the hanyou, then he'd tell her to hit the road.

 

She'd never tell the brute, but she was really glad he'd told her to stay. She rather liked her new room and playing with Rin, and didn't yet want to part with them. It was an odd thing to want, considering she'd become acquainted with both just earlier today, but it was the truth.

 

 

Perhaps tomorrow she'd do some exploring and acquaint herself with the rest of Sesshomaru's castle. It was, after all, going to be her new home. For a little while, at least.