InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Chained ❯ Slipping Into Darkness ( Chapter 23 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A\N: Well I’m not gonna say anything right now, cause I already said everything I wanted to say today on the last chapter, so...

Update 3 for today! ^_^

DISCLAIMER - Again, please just look at all my others, I’m too tired to type out another.   ~*~   Slipping Into Darkness

Amaya sighs heavily as she releases the monk’s cold hand.

Amazing how she could burn so hot, yet shiver so intensely at the same time.

She turned toward the door of the cell and her eyes locked with the brown ones of the slayer in the cell across.

‘How is he?’ She asked, and Amaya shook her head. ‘He gets worse everyday.’ She said. ‘His curse is working inside his body, instead of outside, sucking in all his energy and life. I do not think I can fix it.’

The woman called Sango’s eyes filled with tears as she stared at the monk lying on the bed in the cell across from her, the same place he’d lain for nearly three days, unmoving, barely spending any time awake at all.

She realised the sorceress who called herself Amaya was speaking and that she had missed it, so she sniffed and looked up at the woman with tear-filled eyes. ‘What?’ She asked, not much caring how weak and broken her voice sounded.

Amaya looked annoyed. ‘I said “do you know of anyone-- a priest perhaps-- who would know how to repair such a wound as his.’

Sango wracked her uncooperative mind that was trying to focus in only on her despair at Miroku’s state of mind and she began to shake her head, when she suddenly remembered a battle they had had with a demon worm-charmer that had nearly cost Miroku’s and Inuyasha’s lives. It had been the first time Inuyasha had used the Wind Scar.

‘His name is Mushin. He’s a monk who lives in the mountains... he raised Miroku when his father died...’

Amaya cast her an irritated look. ‘Did I ask for his life-story?’ She demanded, then, feeling compassion for the heart-broken human, added ‘I will do what I can to find him-- though if I cannot, I suggest you think of another who can help your friend.’

Sango shook her head. ‘There are none.’ She said, and Amaya frowned. ‘Then your friend could be in very serious danger.’ She said blandly, and then looked at the two figures sleeping in the far corner of her cell (thanks to some strings Amaya had pulled). ‘I must go and see Kagome-- you should try and keep their spirits up, or they will break completely.’ She said, and Sango glanced back at the kitsune and fire-cat curled up in the corner of her cell and sniffed, wiping her eyes on the back of her arm and nodding.

Amaya gave a small nod of her own. ‘You are not alone in your pain, Sango-- Kagome suffers as well.’ She said, try to put a stop to the slayer’s disgusting behaviour and give her a slight bit of comfort as well. ‘She mourns alone for Inuyasha, who struggles to remember her even as we speak, and is in the hands of the woman who sought to kill both of them on more than one occasion.’

Sango’s head jerked up as she stared at the sorceress. ‘You’ve seen Inuyasha?’ She asked, momentarily putting aside her worry for Miroku. Amaya frowned, giving Sango a look as though she had already been told this several times, but was too dense to remember.

‘Hai. I found the temple the priestess sought to hide him away in and I have been working to restore his memeory-- but it has been nearly two days since I last visited, and I am unsure of how well he fares. I have felt no panic or real fear from him yet, but I am far from him, and this connection is weak-- he may be on the brink of insanity and I am unable to perceive it. That is why I plan to go to him when I go searching for your monk.’

She turned toward the stairs, putting her foot on the first one then pausing to look back (a position she often seemed to be finding herself in as of late) at the slayer who was wiping her eyes, looking utterly defeated.

Mentally sighing, she spoke. ‘Your monk will be fine. The curse has reversed itself, and so greatly weakened it’s ability to perform at all. It should not be too hard to break through it and fix it.’

Sango looked up at her, her eyes still red and puffy. ‘I’m so worried about him.’ She said, staring over at the monk who was shivering even more violently than before, his face scrunched up in pain and concentration.

‘Of course you are, you would not be his friend if you were not. Nor, I might add, would you be a very suitable mate.’ Sango’s eyes snapped over to the woman, and she gave her a knowing look before descending the stairs, heading off in the direction of Kagome’s cell, leaving Sango all but alone in a room of despair, death, and unconsciousness.

‘Please’ She begged quietly ‘To whatever God’s may exist-- please, let him get better.’ She thought, as she reached her hand out toward the monk, though the space was far to great for her to reach, in her mind her arm was long enough and she gripped his own tightly.

‘I promise, Houshi, if we ever get out of this, I will never let you go again.’ She thought.

As if in answer, Miroku stirred slightly on the low bed, his uncursed hand clenching slightly around nothing, before twitching and lying still.

END ~*~  

A\N: HA! I told you Miroku and Sango would come in! Bet you all wish I just would have let them die a peaceful death by now! ^_~