InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Chained ❯ Baka Youkai ( Chapter 36 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A\N: Hey everyone!

I’m a little concerned because nobody seems to like the last couple of chapters... Again, I know that they were a bit OOC for Sess, but, as I explained, I couldn’t help it.

Anyway, it will, hopefully, get better.

I had a lot of time, so there’s going to be several updates today... Hope everyone enjoys them. ^_^ ~*~   Baka Youkai

‘Amaya?’ The voice was soft and tentative, but Amaya’s eyes immediately snapped over to the source of the voice. Kagome was staring up at her, pure concern etched on her face, and Amaya frowned and glared at the girl.

‘What?’ She demanded, more snappish then she had meant to, but Kagome didn’t seem to mind. The girl was seriously beginning to get on the sorceress’ nerves with her silent unrequited concern and worry and her constant questions and foolish fears-- it made Amaya wonder exactly what the hell happened to the ningen race to make them so weak in the girl’s time.

‘You were falling asleep.’ Kagome said after a moment, and Amaya blinked, then narrowed her eyes again.

‘What would make you think that?’ She said, her voice low and menacing, daring the girl to say the wrong thing. Kagome, of course, was unaffected. She was used to the woman’s strange and sudden mood swings and bouts of anger, her ability to sometimes trail off in the middle of a sentence, looking lost deep in thought, and then turning suddenly and leaving before Kagome could even question what had preoccupied her in the first place.

‘Your eyes were closed and you weren’t paying attention to what I was saying.’ Kagome said, and Amaya raised an eyebrow.

‘You assume much, Kagome, to think that I would simply fall asleep. If you are going to make assumptions, at least make reasonable ones. Perhaps what you were telling me was simply too bland and boring for me to want to listen.’

Kagome sighed and rolled her eyes. ’Alright.’ She said exasperatedly, earning her a glare from the sorceress, who then abruptly turned and left, storming up the stairs with enough wrath to make the guards cringe slightly as she walked past.

How dare that stupid ningen girl accuse her of falling asleep!

But, then again, she was pretty tired. Amaya slowed slightly as this thought occurred to her.

It was true, she was tired. She had not slept and had barely eaten since she had retrieved Mushin, and it was beginning to take it’s toll on her. Silently, she cursed her weak human body as she stormed toward one of the other dungeons-- this one lacking any guards for security reasons.

If anyone came and attempted a rescue, they would automatically go into the dungeons with the guards first, and only later, if they got the chance, explore the ones that had no one guarding them.

Naraku had taken this into account, and had placed some of the more important prisoners who were too weak to escape even without guards into prisons and left them unguarded. This particular one was supposed to hold the boy, Kohaku, that the half-breed had once used so much.

Now he was nothing more than a prisoner, a means of leverage should the slayer ever manage to acquire something he wanted. Amaya snorted slightly at the thought, and touched the keyhole with her finger, sending a small jolt of fiery red light that crackled like electricity into the lock and effectively opened the door for her.

She made a small scoffing sound at the demon-lords cheap attempts at security-- an apprentice sorcerer could have gotten through that!

She went down and stared at the figure kneeling in the cell, his head lowered in a bow, and his eyes devoid of any emotion. She could tell just the stiff way his body held itself that, not only was this creature no longer truly alive, but it had been in this position of eternal kneeling for a very long time.

She frowned and approached slowly. The boy did not move.

She used the charm again and opened the cell door, cautiously kneeling down next to him. Still he remained motionless.

Her hands ran slowly down his back, over the dark slayer uniform, until she could feel the aura of the jewel emanating at it’s strongest. Her hand moved itself under his clothing and she used her nails to gently tear open the poorly healed flesh there, and then close around the jewel.

The boy tensed, and she knew that it was instinct to protect, not his own life, but the jewel from falling into another grasp that was driving him now, and he would attack her.

Tightening her grip on the shard, she twisted and yanked back, wrenching it from the boy’s spine.

His body spasmed slightly, then fell to the ground, limp.

Amaya stared at him for a moment, then, tucking the jewel away in a small pouch in her kimono, she reached down and wrapped her arms around the boy’s limp form, shuddering slightly as the feel of cold dread that surrounded only the dead enveloped her.

Pushing it aside, she wrapped the boy in her cloak, making him appear to be nothing more than a corpse being taken to feed Naraku’s army.

She carried him up the stairs and outside into the large courtyard without much interference.

Naraku had sent most of the demon army off to try and overthrow the entire Neko clan that still thrived in the east. She had serious doubts he would succeed.

The cats were cunning and patient and brutal, not unlike Sesshomaru, and you would not even know that the rolls of the game “cat and mouse” had been reversed until they had their claws imbedded in your neck.

A few demons, however, still remained.

Amaya wrinkled her nose slightly in disgust as she passed a particularly large brown demon with large horns running down his incredibly large nose. There was some sort of smell-- like corpses and rotting garbage-- emanating from the beast, and it was enough to make her gag.

The demon looked over at her, and a low, but incredibly loud, rumbling growl came from him that shook the entire courtyard as he began to move toward her, eyes fixed on Kohaku, clearly mistaking him for food.

Amaya lashed out at the demon, a long black streak of a spell whipping through the air and lashing the demon firmly and violently on the cheek, causing a good deal of dark blood to flow to the ground and nearly severing one of his horns.

The demon shrieked in pain and rage as it reared away from her, doubling it’s already incredibly height as it thrashed it’s claws around. Amaya stood her ground and glared. She was not going to be intimidated by some overgrown whelp of a demon who seemed to win his fights based on pure fear of size alone, judging by the way he reacted to the minor cut he had received.

‘Keep your oversized teeth to yourself, baka youkai. This boy is not for eating.’ She snarled at the demon, and he glared at her menacingly, saliva dripping from his lips and falling to the ground in drops large enough to effectively soak most of the courtyard and her as they exploded on the stone.

However, the demon seemed to decide it was best not to attack, and, after a moment more of glaring, turned and went back to whatever vulgar activity he had been engrossed in before.

Amaya shook her head, and then made her way swiftly out of the courtyard and off up into the cliffs where the two-headed youkai Ah-Un had agreed to wait for her.

She wasn’t entirely sure how Sesshomaru had known she would want to meet today, but it didn’t really matter anymore -- his promptness would serve only to aide her. Plus, it proved that she was working with at least one person of competence who might actually be useful before the end.

She set Kohaku on the beast before mounting behind it, using the reins more as a means of preventing Kohaku from tumbling to his...whatever.

‘You know the way.’ She said to the creature, gently prodding it’s sides, and one head turned to look back at her, while the other was sniffing at the air, before both returned forward and, without warning, the creature took off into the air with such surprising agility that Amaya was momentarily thrown off guard and was forced to clutch to it’s shoulders to stop from plummeting to her own “whatever”.

Glaring at the creature’s back, she pulled Kohaku’s body more tightly against her, and pressed them both close against the youkai’s back to allow it freer movement and less struggle against the winds currently whipping her flesh and stinging her skin.

Talking to the creature was useless since it obviously couldn’t respond, and it probably wouldn’t be able to hear her anyway, so she simply clung to it’s back and angrily waited for the ride to be over.

END ~*~  

Glossary

Baka - Fool, idiot, etc.

Youkai - Demon -- (A couple people have told me that the title should probably be Baka no Youkai, but I just liked doing it this way better...)

Ningen - Human

Neko - Cat