InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Chained ❯ Flight to Kashikari ( Chapter 63 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Well, becuase I’m an idiot, I wrote this chapter and forgot to post it. So, this chapter should actually be just after Understand. Sorry for the mix-up everyone!   ~*~   Flight to Kashikari

Amaya mentally narrowed her eyes as she soared along next to Gouka, glancing over at the old priestess riding on his back, before looking at the lands soaring by beneath her.

They were fairly high up now-- high enough that they barely had to swerve to avoid some of the lower mountains, her wingtips brushing against the crowns of clouds that they donned.

The landscape was not entirely entertaining to her, and seemed to be getting slightly more desolate and barren the further into the mountains they went, the trees crumbling and fading away until nothing but the most decayed and twisted of them could be seen to be growing.

Yet it was clear that they were making some progress-- they had left Naraku’s miasma several leagues behind them already, which meant they were in a domain he had yet to reach.

A domain where a very powerful creature lurked, holding him back from entering it’s territory.

And this both pleased and worried her.

Because she knew that, if the plan to rise against Naraku failed, then, if she could convince Kashikari, they would at least have somewhere to flee to and regroup for a while.

However, the further and further she got from Naraku, the weaker her hold over Kana’s mirror and his mind her grasp became.

So far she had been using her strongest and subtlest mind spells to stop him from considering to bother checking on Kagome and the others-- or her for that matter. She had been placing similar spells on Kikyo, though, since the woman was a priestess they had minimal effects, but it had kept the priestess’s train of thoughts going pretty much in circles-- constantly wondering where Inuyasha was, but never actually having enough focus to figure it out.

Yet now that she was so far away, either of them could break free from her grasp easily enough, and then she could only dare to imagine the chaos that would ensue.

Still, it was necessary to go on this trip.

Kashikari was old and wise and incredibly powerful.

He also had very low tolerance for others who disturbed him, and would not hesitate to destroy any he thought to be intruders.

Even sending mind messages to him wouldn’t work, since his mind was so carefully blocked, and sending another with her own mind messages would be suicide for that other, since Kashikari would likely not care who sent them.

In his mind, if it was not important enough for them to come to him themselves, then it wasn’t important enough to be bothered with.

Still, she hoped that he would listen to reason.

It had been many years since she had met with him, and since he had come up with many ways to hide himself from detection.

Which is why she needed Kaede-- only a priestess would be able to detect the barriers whereabouts, let alone break some of them.

And, once broken through, Kashikari’s barriers almost automatically sealed up again, which meant that, while they would be safe from detection within his barriers, it would be quite a fight to make it through.

After that she would need to convince the ancient beast to help them.

She didn’t expect him to join in the battle, but hopefully he would allow them to harbour here if things went amiss in the battle with Naraku, and Sesshomaru’s lands were no longer safe.

That is, assuming she could reason with him.

And, when it came to a creature like Kashikari, there was simply never any guarantee of that.