InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Change of Heart ❯ The Withered Grass ( Chapter 15 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Change of Heart
Chapter 15
The Withered Grass
 
What do you want with my sister?” the girl blurted surprising the innocent youkai.
“I don't know what you're talking about” Kagura said honestly.
At this the hime burst in anger and shouted, “What do you want with Yura!!”
She suddenly collapsed the sudden rush was to much for her frail body, the guards supported her, she cried in her knees, “She's at peace now…why do you want to revive her?” she sobbed.
 
“Yura? Another one of Naraku's subordinates?” Kagura thought staring at the grieving princess.
 
“Yura was human…” She hushed recalling that tragic memory.
 
~ A black haired girl wearing velvet kimono ran along the corridor, tapping her sandals on the wood planks. The castle was like a maze; grand and vast. Not far from there was a girl playing her erhu in a pagoda enjoying the serenity.
“Suzunooo…” The girl in velvet hollered across the garden, rushing down the cement bridge. She stopped to catch her breath and tighten the sash in her attire.
“Yura, what are you—.”
“I'm getting married!” Yura blurted cutting her sister short.
Both screamed in delight jumping while they hold hands.
Suzuno stopped, “Wait I thought you didn't like arranged marriages?”
Yura smiled as she turned around, “Yeah…but…” She tilted her head towards me. “If it's with Keichi, I don't mind…” She giggled going back to the palace.
“Keichi!” Suzuno mumbled as her surroundings seemed to swirl. “No way…” she whispered in denial.
 
At the day of the wedding all were busy, the lamps are being hanged, wine being stacked, the aroma of the food filled the air as the music set the mood while the geishas dance gracefully. Suzuno sat in the pagoda but the peace wasn't there, she closed her eyes and meditated until she heard-- “Suzuno…” She opened her eyes, as light entered her pupils, it broke her heart. A man stood at the entrance of the pagoda, wearing silk ceremonial clothes, hair wrapped, eyes in torment. Suzuno was shaking…
“Com'on it is your wedding day!” She said when the man rushed down and kissed her.
“Keichi!” Suzuno screamed, the prince hugged her tightly and said, “I love you…”
Suzuno was surprised and gave away, she hugged him back, hoping…hoping that time stops. She hugged him tightly and cried silently in his arms.
 
The altar was lit, the visitors lined and the groom stood reluctantly at the end of the aisle. All waited for the entrance of the bride, we waited. Not long, the visitors started to gossip, gossip turned to whines, whines turned to noise. Everyone was turning restless; as I was about to check-up on her. An arrow flew across barely missing me, bandits started to enter the room slaughtering everyone in there way. Some called to arms and fought back. Swords clashed, you can taste the steel. An oil lamp fell and set fire to the altar, in her kimono Suzuno fought with pride. When it was over, they set off the fire and then it hit Suzuno.
“Yura!!” She shouted in her mind.
She rushed through the maze like corridor, panting. The room was lit; she slid the door. The cabinets were empty, and there was blood on the floor. She was dead… Suzuno collapsed at the sight of Yura's head. She crept slowly towards the body when she saw the letter. She opened it while shaking, tears dropped on the paper as she read it.
 
Suzuno,
 
I'm leaving, running away. I know you love Keichi and I'm sorry it took me awhile to realize it and I'm sorry that I had to be elder. Tell mother and father that I will be fine by myself and I'm sorry to disappoint them, I know that I have a duty as a princess but I also have a duty as your elder sister. Please, don't come searching for me because I don't think you'll recognize me either.
Sister, in this bag is my hair and that scarlet comb that you've always wanted. I'm giving it to you as a wedding present and also a memento that I'll always be there.
 
Yura.
 
Suzuno sobbed in regret as other people entered the room. They grieved for the loss of their princess but her memory will remain. The funeral was solemn, no one quiet accepted her death but they couldn't do anything about it until that day 3 years later… The castle's miko came to bless the entire castle including the grave. When we arrived at the grave, it was empty…
 
“The next thing I knew…she was killed by a hanyo!” Suzuno shouted shaking in anger. “All she wanted was to be human again! She didn't even use the shard to increase her power…” She cried.
 
Kagura suddenly felt something enter her, she hears something in her.
She hears a heartbeat.
 
Back in the forest, both were silent. Sesshoumaru stared at the girl and Kagome was too embarrassed to look straight. Kagome thought that she should clear things out to avoid misunderstanding but she doesn't think he cares. His expression didn't even wrinkle, as if it was a permanent mask of sternness so she changed the subject.
“The Shikon no Tama is a jewel made out of souls. It was created by a powerful miko named Midoriko…I don't know much about her but I know she's powerful, if you ask me she could take down Naraku single-handedly...Since the day she died the Tama was entrusted to…Kikyou…and that's where it all started…” Kagome faded out of breath. “What is this jewel to Naraku?” Sesshoumaru asked quickly.
“Well…It's Naraku's source of power! His—.” Kagome paused, this interrogation wasn't a wild “dog” chase after all; he was telling her something.
“His…weakness…” To be continued…