InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Choice of Destiny ❯ Getting Your Dollar's Worth ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own characters off of the Inuyasha anime series, but all other characters are my own creation. Do not steal anything off of this story or you will be committing plagiarism!

Choice of Destiny

By angelwings

Chapter 2 ~ Get Your Dollar's Worth

"I made this for you while you were away, Kagome."

The small kitsune held up his small hand to his dame revealing a piece of wood. Kagome smiled at the odd gift uncertain of its meaning, "Thank you, Shippo. That was quite thoughtful."

He smiled broadly from upon her shoulder, "I knew you would like it."

Still grinning the lady turned the object over and noticed carved drawings in the chunk of bark, "What are these symbols?"

"There all of us, Kagome" Sango answered for the kit, "Each represents one of us."

Eagerly the fox demon ran down the teen's arm and pointed at the symbols, "This is Inuyasha."

His tiny finger was pointed to a white blob of clay. Staring at it Kagome recognized a set of triangle ears poking out of the design. Yep, that was Inuyasha.

"This" his finger went to a purple boomerang shape with a head, "is Sango."

Next, there was a spiraling black circle, "Miroku."

An orange flame, "Kilala"

A muddy fox tail, "Me."

A red and white smug, "Kaede."

Last, was a curved line and pink oval, "And this is you, Kagome."

The young priestess ran her fingertips over the bow and Shikon jewel pasted to the bark. Tears began to water her eyes, but she quickly blinked them away, "It's beautiful, Shippo. I am so glad you gave me a family portrait."

He scowled, "Family portrait?"

She nodded, "Over in my time it's often custom for a household to have a picture taken of themselves. You remember what a photograph is, don't you?"

"Yep!" he smiled broadly, happy to know something of Kagome's world, "That's those flat squares with the frozen images. They come from what you call a camra."

"Camera" the woman corrected while pulling out her Polaroid. Before the fox knew what happened, the time-traveling girl had snapped a flash in his face.

The small demon staggered on her arm and exclaimed, "What was that?"

A thin piece of white protruded from the black box forming an interest from the small demon and demon hunter. Sango looked over her friend's shoulder curious, "Is this the photograph you were talking about?"

"Yea, I had wanted to take pictures of you all, but was afraid the people that would develop them might get too curious about what they saw" Kagome smiled at the image of the laughing fox demon, "So I waited till I got this camera. This one develops the pictures itself."

Shippo sniffed the photograph and then turned to the camera, "That's amazing. How does it do it?"

The priestess winked at the huntress, "its magic."

His eyes grew wide, "Wow. I didn't know your world also had magic, Kagome."

"Well, in my time we call it science" the woman giggled shamelessly.

Sango smiled as she scratched Kilala's chin. Kagome had already explained to her about science in the future. Shippo was just too young to understand the complexity of his mother's time. Together the two maidens laughed as Shippo carefully held the camera as if it was the Shikon jewel.

Kagome looked up. Miroku was walking ahead of them with Inuyasha and momentarily he was glancing back them, grinning. When the monk turned back around the woman leaned over to her sister-friend, "So has Miroku changed any?"

The demon hunter's shoulders went rigid, "No, and I refuse to be courted until he quits chasing other women."

'Who could blame you?'

Kagome whipped up her hands, "Don't worry I am not defending him. You have ever right to refuse him."

'I would know.'

Immediately the woman from the future got quiet and stared at the back of the dog demon. Sango bowed her head sadly. She had not meant to remind her friend of her own problems.

Kagome stared at the man's stiff back, 'He's doing it again. If he shows me the tiniest bit of affection, he'll be cold to everyone the next day, especially to me.'

She watched her feet walk over the ground, 'I know you chose her. I've accepted that.'

Inuyasha glanced at the treetops his face in stone. Her eyes began to water, 'It's just . . .'

Her hands fisted at her sides, 'I wish you would stop teasing my emotions.'

She brushed her hair back, 'Don't cry. He'll smell your tears.'

Suddenly, Kagome felt a tingling sensation in the back of her head. She frowned as the feeling slowly drilled into her head, piercing her brain, 'One. . . No, two.'

Inuyasha and Kagome both stopped walking in the same instant surprising the rest of the group. Sango turned to her sister, "What is it?"

"Jewel Shards!" the priestess shouted while whipping out her bow.

Inuyasha jumped into the air and landed in front of the two ladies, "its stupid wolf-breath!"

Kagome relaxed her grip on the weapon, "Kouga?"

In seconds, the branches overhead began to sway and the land pounded beneath their feet. Air whirled around them as a small tornado rushed into their line of sight.

Kagome stepped forward past the dog demon as the wind devil slowed and a man stepped out of the cloudy tunnel. The new arrival gave a fanged grin at the sight of the priestess. Automatically his eyes gathered her image, "I thought I smelt you near."

"Hello, Kouga" she welcomed as warmly as ever, "How have you been?"

He glanced at Inuyasha's scowl and intentionally put himself just a few feet away from the lady, "As well as ever, but my spirits rise now that I have been graced with such beauty."

She grinned nervously, 'I should have expected something like that. He enjoys irritating Inuyasha. I wish he would give up his claim on me.'

The rest of the group shuffled behind her obviously uncomfortable with his sudden presence. Kouga always had a way to start a quarrel in the group, mostly with Inuyasha.

"Thank you for the complement" she rubbed her bare arm, "Um, what are you doing away from your pack, Kouga?"

He glanced over his shoulder his tail swooshing behind them, "Oh, they're just down the path."

"Down the path?" she raised an eyebrow.

He gave her a grim expression, "Yea. I've been concerned with what's going on at the mountain. Demons have been piling out like crazy and I was wondering what it's about."

"Why did you bring your pack though?" she said just as the first waves of wolves poured into view, "You think something big is going on?"

The wolf leader nodded, "I have been unable to get much sleep since the dark clouds appeared. Something is wrong."

"Well get to walking wolf breath if your so concern" Inuyasha growled as he walked up beside Kagome.

The young woman exhaled quietly, 'It starts.'

"I'll leave when I am ready, half-breed" Kouga hissed darkly, "Besides I want to know where my woman heads."

'Don't go there' she grumbled inwardly, 'Not now.'

"Kagome is not your woman!" Inuyasha shouted, taking a step forward.

For once Kouga ignored the remark and turn to the woman in mention, "Where are you all headed, Kagome?"

Well, he deserved an answer she supposed, but she hated what he would do when he heard it, "To the mountain where the storm clouds form."

At that moment the rest of the pack appeared from the brush and piled behind their leader. Kouga smiled wickedly, "I shall accompany you then. I must protect my future-mate from any danger she may encounter."

'I am not a damsel in distress.'

Her shoulders dropped heavily, "As I have said before, Kouga, I do not consent to becoming your mate."

"You hear that, wolf turd!" Inuyasha shouted triumphantly, "She'll never become your mate!"

Her heart constricted, 'Nor yours.'

Suddenly, she awakened from her reverence and noticed Kouga was inches away from her, his chest nearly brushing hers. She could feel his body heat pouring over her and saw a lustful look in his eyes. Gasping she tried to step back, but he grabbed her hands stopping her. Inuyasha fumed nearby as the wolf leader mumbled softly, "You shall take my offer sooner or later, my mate-to-be. Soon you will see my worthiness."

Her face grew hot, "It's not that! It's not that you're unworthy, Kouga."

She needed to get him to step back or Inuyasha my kill him, "You are a wonderful guy."

The white-haired demon's scowl grew deeper as he grumbled almost quietly, "Wonderful? Ha!"

Kouga grin grew as he leaned in closer, "See already my advances are weakening you."

Her shoulders fell. He would never learn. Love just couldn't be forced, even though, the wolf leader thought otherwise. Even after years of refusal he still nipped at her heels determined as ever. Now that she had matured to a more a womanly personality (and to him, evidently, a more womanly figure) he had dropped more visits on their band. He had even begun to, as Sango explained, pursue her.

Kagome though he had started that a long time ago, but it was only now he had started to really lay it thick. He came to her speaking of mating rituals and time of seasons. He would express his want for a mate (namely her) and began to already announce her as his fiancé. Her title as "his woman" had been dropped, but "mate-to-be" had become more pronounced, along with Inuyasha's hissy fits.

Whenever Kouga waltzed by Inuyasha went into "ultra-protective" mode, which was fine by Kagome only if there was actual reason to be. Kouga did get a little too affectionate for her to stomach, but other times she was perfectly comfortable with him. It was Inuyasha who never enjoyed the wolf's presence, and that hurt her.

She had long knew Inuyasha's feelings for her, didn't the whole world? Problem was with the fact Kikyo still held the demon's heart. Kagome knew Kikyo and Inuyasha loved each other, but it was hard to watch her beloved deny her all of his love. Kagome and Inuyasha had long ago established between an affection beyond friendship with one another, but it had been silently agreed that their relationship could never go beyond that because of Kikyo. He had committed to the dead priestess first.

So Inuyasha refused Kagome.

But she could not just walk away from him.

She could walk away from Feudal Japan.

She could walk away from her life here.

She could even walk away from Sango, Shippo, and Miroku, . . .

But she could not walk away from him.

Her soul would not let her.

She loved him unconditionally, something she had never meant to do, but did.

She had decided to suffer and watch as he threw himself at another woman. She shouldered the hurt as she saw him love Kikyo, knowing he truly did love her, her previous self. She could never accuse a lack of love between the two, for it was her mirror-self he was devoted to and Kagome knew Inuyasha had fallen in love with her soul. How could he not love Kikyo, herself? The one that belonged in this time?

The one who had been wrongly murdered by their trickster?

She allowed him to love Kikyo because they belong with one another.

Kagome had just accidentally fallen in on their mending love life.

That's what was hardest - knowing she didn't belong in this time period, with him.

"Keep your mangy hands to yourself, you sad excuse for a demon!" Inuyasha ripped Kouga away from her.

Her hands dropped lifelessly, 'Round one.'

"Look who's talking, MUTT!"

Sango and Miroku came up beside Kagome as the two demons raised their fists. The demon killer crossed her arms, "They always use the same insults. Strange how they can't think of something else after four years."

"Yea" the priestess muttered wearily.

Her sister scowled, "Are you alright?"

'No.'

"Of course" she plastered a smile, "I was just wishing they would grow up."

A wicked smile crawled up the huntress's face, "How about if we walk off and see how long it takes them to notice?"

Before the maiden could answer Miroku had already turned them to the road, "Lets."

Giggling together the three humans, a fox demon, and a cat demon started walking towards the mountains with a wolf pack staring after them unable to leave their leader. It wasn't until the small family (minus one member) was well down the path that they heard the awaiting, "Hey!"

__________________________________

Kagome looked up through the branches feeling the warm sun dance on her face. She smiled brightly and lied down on Kilala's furry back. Muscles rippled beneath her back as the giant demon walked with the group. Shippo crawled over his mother's stomach and rolled into a ball. Her hand swept over his soft fur.

A breeze drifted through the trees as the group walked onwards. Inuyasha kept to the lead with Kouga and his pack to the rear. Both acted as if the other had a disease. If either of them stepped out of place they both would start growling like rabid dogs.

Miroku commented about something to Sango and the woman burst into laughter.

It was if the world around had settled quietly into place, fitting like a puzzle. There appeared to be no fear or anticipation from the traveling group even though they were heading towards the unknown. Kagome closed her eyes and thought, 'Why does this feel so right?'

She couldn't help, but wonder why she felt so comfortable in the past and less in the future. Before, her life had not been as exciting. She had been content with her school life and enjoyed being a young girl. However, when she arrived in Feudal Japan her heart grew hollow. She watched the people's lives in the past and realized how empty her life was. She had cared about getting a date for her prom when people were fighting for honor and power. She had always known life was more than cute boys and teenage gossip, but she had never been able to see past how her peers acted. When she had arrived in Feudal Japan her heart had stretched enveloping the life found in that mountain village. The people proved that there were more important things to life.

Like family . . .

Kagome had never enjoyed the way of modern times where her friends were all about boys. She had never been comfortable about letting her grades slack or breaking house rules for her own fun.

It just wasn't right to her.

On the other side of the well where demons ruled, she could see what people were fighting for. She could see people with purpose and maturity. Even the children acted as if they understood what was important in the world. Their steps were meaningful and confident.

In the beginning of her adventures she had been shy and unsure of herself. She was a small girl who did not understand their way of life. She didn't face demons or handle the lack of technology. This was all new to her and extremely intimidating.

Spending her time here had brought a growth into her. She began to let of materialistic objects and began to appreciate the outdoors. Education was still important to her, but it was the past that kept her attention.

Kagome's eyes opened to realize modern times were self-dependent on the luxuries of life. People of the future had lost sight of what was valuable. They had become blind to what there was behind the luxuries.

Here in the past, people knew nothing of luxuries other than what Kagome brought.

Slowly through the years, Kagome had begun to find herself thorn. She had one life in the present/future while there was another in the Feudal Era. The time periods had ripped her lifestyle into two personalities, neither of which she was willing to let go of.

It didn't take a genius to understand that one day she would have to choose. Sooner or later, Naraku would be stopped and the jewel would be completed. Every time that thought crossed her mind Kagome felt her world crash onto her shoulders. She had come from the future, but her heart was both there and in the past.

She had come to believe fate had brought her to the Feudal Era. At first she was unsure why, but then one day when she had another fight with Inuyasha she had understood why she had come.

She had been brought to wake him up from Kikyo's spell.

She had been brought to bring back Kikyo.

She had been brought to give Inuyasha and Kikyo a second chance with each other.

It had been the hardest realization to accept. Her purpose in the Feudal Era had brought much heartache, yet it had been all necessary. The betrayal and anger in the lost lovers' emotions had been too much to overlook and destiny had decided they deserved happiness.

Slowly her eyelids blinked and a tear slipped by. It was too hard to accept. It had taken her nearly a week to believe in the idea and then several more days to accept. When she did she knew her relationship with Inuyasha could never be the same.

She could not allow herself to grow too close to him. When she left it would hurt just that much worse.

Abruptly, her stomach dropped and her perfect world began to fade, 'this is too perfect. It's like the silence before the storm.'

The sensation in her gut began to swell. Her heart began to pound, 'Ok, maybe it's not so perfect.'

Her ears grew deaf and needles prickled her skin. Kagome opened her eyes frowning. What was it? It wasn't a jewel.

Automatically she shot up from Kilala's back. Kouga looked over at the woman startled by her abrupt movement. Kagome concentrated hard on the sensations running through her body. Her chest began to open up and heat flowed through her chest. She locked her jaws together and closed her eyes.

There had to be something out there.

Kouga by this time was growing concern. He had begun to notice sweat beading on his mate's brow.

Her blood strummed and began to turn cold. She clutched her kit's small form as her body shuddered. Almost . . .

Suddenly an icicle pierced her soul.

"Kagome?" the wolf leader called almost too faint for her to hear.

The woman opened her eyes immediately, ignoring how everyone was staring at her, and looked at the now dark sky. Her eyes narrowed on the rolling black clouds above.

'Great. It's an actual storm.'

In seconds a hurricane wind ripped through the forest and branches flapped around wildly. Everyone began shouting at once. Kagome dug her knees into the cat demon's side and kept the kit close. Shippo was already wailing his fears as the wind tried to rip him from her fingers.

"Everyone latch on to a tree!" Inuyasha shout got caught up in the wind. As commanded the party began to scatter to the large trunks and each traveler began to tie ropes around their stomachs. Sango nearly lost the ground when a blast of air hit her, but Miroku and a wolf man grabbed her arms before she was swept away. Inuyasha and Kouga rushed to the young priestess as Kilala hurried to a tree.

"Hurry!" Inuyasha cried, "Give me, Shippo!"

Desperately and carefully, she handed her kit to him and nearly laughed as she saw him shove the fox into the wolf. Kouga growled, he had wanted to help his mate down, but his rival was beating him to it.

Kagome stretched out her hand to her loved partner and felt his hand grip hers. A rushing feeling ripped through her ears and suddenly she was airborne. She never felt herself loose his hand or heard them scream her name. She was in a chaotic whirl raking out of the branches. The trees scratched their hands across her body trying to catch her before she went out of reach. Her lungs compressed and her head jostled.

Before she knew how far she had risen she blacked out.