InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Choice of Destiny ❯ Second Wind ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~ All characters from the Inuyasha anime series are not my creation, but everything is my own original writing so to copy any is plagiarism! ~

Choice of Destiny

By angelwings1

Chapter 4 ~ Second Wind

Miroku swung his staff against Kanna's mirror knocking it aside. A white blur flung by her and Kagome gasped as she was launched upwards. Her head limply fell back and the rain splattered against her face. Her eyelids fluttered open and for a moment she caught a glimpse of lightning flashing.

"Kagome!"

So confuse.

She blacked out again.

___________________________

Her head was pounding. Steadily her hand reached for her forehead.

'Where's the aspirin?'

"KAGOME!"

"Don't talk too loud?" she muttered painfully.

Slowly she opened her eyes and saw the ground several hundred feet below her hanging feet. Kagome swallowed nervously.

Carefully she looked down to see a brown tentacle held her. Following the offensive appendage she realized she was, naturally, the captive of Naraku. His focus momentarily was on the ground. Glancing downwards she saw her family plus a wolf pack fighting Kagura, Kanna, and Kohaku.

Kagome trembled in the demon's grip. Her body was weak from her prior black out. Her focus wavered again. 'Stay awake.'

"Kagome!"

That voice was either Kouga's or Inuyasha's. Either of their concern was welcomed.

"They can't save you," her enemy snarled.

Kagome's energy grew at that comment, "I doubt your fight with them will be so easy."

Naraku turned to her and she glared into his eyes. Surrounded by the pulsing tentacles sprouting from under his cloak it was obvious this monster was nothing by one of his dolls. Naraku's doll smirked, "I don't think you give me enough credit."

Automatically a tentacle shot towards the ground narrowly missing Inuyasha and Kouga. The priestess swallowed as she noticed both were having a difficult time avoiding the attacks. Sango and Kilala were busy trying to fight Kohaku without hurting him, or getting themselves hurt. Kagura was fighting the entire wolf pack and Miroku along with Shippo were trying to keep Kanna away from her mirror.

She saw him below. He was chopping off tentacles in a desperate frenzy to reach her, but it did no good. More limbs appeared and blocked him. His eyes stayed on her nearly the entire time. She could see his fear and concern.

How did they find her?

What had happened while she was unconscious?

Another strike followed this time directed at Sango. The huntress jumped backwards and flung her boomerang at her predator. Naraku's limb was sliced off from the giant weapon, but soon two new appendages grew from the nub.

"Leave them alone!" Kagome shouted desperately. Even if this was only a doll and would be easier to defeat than Naraku, it still held dangers towards the ones she cared for.

"Your fight is with me, Naraku!" she roared trying to gain his attention from her family, "Don't let them be involved."

The dark lord cackled. His laughter sent a chill down the woman's spine, "Oh, but you are wrong! My fight has a greater range than one individual."

"What are you talking about?!" she glowered. Her head hurt and she was in no mood for one of his riddles.

He grinned, revealing fangs, "My fight lies with your time"

Her eyes grew wide as her fears became founded, "No. What could my time offer?!"

Darkness shattered behind him swallowing the rainy atmosphere.

"A world with no protection" he began, "A place where no one can dare oppose me. I see a world with slaves ready to be owned!"

Kagome pushed viciously against the monster's grip. She would not allow him to ever reach her time. Souta, her mother, gramps, all of them would be endangered. She had no bow. She had no arrow.

Her head flung backwards as he squeezed his grip on her. The bones in her body creaked under the stress. Kagome inhaled sharp. She didn't believe he would kill her at the moment. He didn't understand how to get on the other side of the well. He still needed her.

She opened her eyes and watched her friends battle for her life. Kagome saw Inuyasha crash to the ground. Blood was dripping from his right arm. They were running out of energy. Soon Naraku would gain the upper hand.

"Join me, Higurashi."

She grounded her teeth trying to ignore the growing pressure on her fragile skeleton, "Why would you even expect me to join you?!"

The monkey snout brushed against her ear, "The question is how many friends I would have to kill?"

Kagome pushed as hard as she could, "NO!"

Heat bubbled in her chest and she jerked as the turmoil rammed the walls of her heart. The love she felt for her two families surged outwards and raked her body. Waves of emotions fell into a sea. Kagome sunk to the bottom, unsure which way would led her to the surface. She began to panic as she faced the threat of her families' death. Her mind collapsed.

Kagome ripped her head back and her throat widened in a tormented screech. Volcano hit struck her chest. In the same moment a pink aura surrounded the maiden's body freezing the battle. Pressure spiked, but this time it was within her body. Her temples throbbed pounding louder than the surrounding thunder. Warmth swirled down her arm and swelled in her fingertips. Sweat dripped off her nose as her eyes rolled into the back of her head.

Naraku's doll scowled beneath the mask. He didn't understand what she was doing. No one did.

Inuyasha took a step forward as he saw the young woman writher in pain. In a frantic whisper the man reached out for the maiden, "Kagome."

She could see her family back in modern times flashing inside her head. Souta was playing another video game while grandpa swept the shrine. Inuyasha swallowed a mouthful of ramen while Sango hit Miroku for getting fresh. Consumed by the primal instinct to defend her family, or in this case her families, Kagome lost herself in the dilution.

Her arms stretched outwards trying to release the anguish in her bones. Screeching in pain pink light ripped from Kagome's palm and crashed into the monkey face. Abruptly the vice hold on her disappeared along with Naraku's puppet. Immediately she felt gravity grab her legs and tug her downwards. Exhaustion hit the woman and she allowed herself to drop into fatigued sleep. She could no longer fight.

______________________

"Wake up, Kagome!"

The sound was warm coaxing her back. Pain rubbed against her throwing her back to the darkness.

"Please, Kagome, open your eyes!"

The voice was pleading trying to drag the priestess into the light that stung her eyes. She flinched. The torturous sun exploded pain inside her brain.

Kagome gradually regained sensations in her limbs and involuntarily whimpered. Aches began to flare throughout her consciousness, but those were nothing compared to the intense torment burning her hand.

The woman screamed in agony and curled into a fetal position, hand carefully tucked to her chest. She heard several people speaking at once, each bustling about her.

As seconds ticked away into minutes the sounds faded and again Kagome entered empty space. Coldness tingled down her limbs and she was swept under artic waves.

"Wake up, Higurashi Kagome."

The dazed woman reached out trying to pull herself out of the cold pit. Who was that?

"Wake up. You need to return to them."

A clock ticked in the background. Its deep echo bellowed to the far reaches.

"You don't belong here, Kagome."

The woman involuntarily flinched away from this new person. That sentence had hit a sore spot. It reminded her of her time-traveling experience.

"WAKE UP!"

Kagome lost her focus as something slam into her.

______________________

Light hit her. Kagome grimaced at the sudden contrast.

Groaning she rolled away from the sun and opened her eyes to the shadows. Kagome gazed at the wood grains that sat in her view. Gradually her eyesight expanded and she noticed figures' shadows danced over the wall.

'I'm alive.'

Was it a question or a statement? She could not be sure.

'Where am I?'

A better thought to contemplate was one she could answer.

She carefully rolled onto her back. Her entire body felt tender and she knew if she moved too fast she might get a painful surprise.

Kagome smiled as she saw she was in a cabin full of familiar faces. Her face, though tired, broke into a warm glow. Giving a small smile the woman whispered hoarsely a quaint, "Hello."

Inuyasha and Sango were closest to her. Both were hunching over her with different herbs at their feet. Kouga was leaning over the demon huntress's shoulder, probably preferred her to the dog demon. The wolf pack, Miroku, and Shippo sat on the other side of a small fire. All eyes were on her and each pair was filled with concern.

The air was warm and inviting, not to mention the sweet smell of roasted meat made an empty stomach eager. After hearing the woman's soft greeting the room exhaled and immediately relaxed.

Sango brushed a heated, wet rag over the girl's brow, "You had us all a little worried. You have been unconscious for over half a day, Kagome."

"What?!" the priestess lurched into a sitting position, and automatically fell back on her sleeping bag, "Ugh."

She felt his large arms catch her before she hit the pillow. His rough voice spoke softly, "Watch yourself. Your body is still healing."

Kagome looked into his eyes. He looked as if he hadn't gotten any sleep. How long had she been separated from them? How long had she been unconscious? He must have been worried sick about her.

Throbbing startled her and she immediately cradled her bound hand. Kagome stared at the pink bandages surprised. Her memory was a bit fuzzy, but she remembered destroying Naraku's puppet.

Without hesitation she began to undo the wraps. Several of friends pleaded with her to quit. She knew her hand was injured - for god's sake - she could feel it. Kagome pulled away the last bandage and stared in awe at the raw flesh. There was not an inch of her palm that wasn't red. Already her skin was trying to grow back over the giant wound, but it would take a week or so before it would be completely healed over.

The air brushed over her palm and she winced at the sting. She could barely move her fingers without being jolted by torture.

Sango crawled closure to the injured maiden and began to wrap fresh bandages over the hand. Kagome turned to Inuyasha, "What happened while I was out? How did you all find me?"

His eyes were staring at her hand. He looked a bit guilty.

"We stumbled upon you and Naraku some time yesterday evening, just a night short of when we were separated" he replied, "We had been searching since the wind had died. When we arrived you were unconscious and Kanna was doing something with her mirror. You were screaming in your sleep and of course we came to help."

Kagome flinched as Sango tucked in the end of the bandage. The priestess slowly stretched her hand feeling the stiffness. Without her hand she would be unable to use her bow. Crap.

Returning back to her partner she wondered something, "What exactly had Kanna being doing with the mirror?"

"Can't say" Miroku replied in place of the hanyou, "She wasn't try to steal your soul. She was holding the mirror over your chest, but the mirror was faced to her."

Kagome stared at the fire. Had Kanna been trying to look into her thoughts? Kanna was probably searching for the answer to the well.

"After that?" she inquired.

Kouga took a turn speaking, "You woke during the battle, Kagome. Somehow you shot a ray of light and destroyed Naraku's doll. His followers left the moment it was broken."

Did Naraku find out? Did he know how to breach the well?

Kagome began breathing fast. Looks were exchanged in concern.

The young woman jumped to her feet pushing out of the demon's arms. Her knees buckled immediately. Inuyasha and Sango caught her, and now everyone was on their feet.

"Stop wiggling, wench" the dog man growled in her ear, "You are in no condition to be moving about."

Kagome grew dizzy, but she continued to fight their arms, "We have to find Naraku!"

"Don't worry, Kagome" her sister tried to calm her, "We still have our part of the shards. He never took them."

Shadows crept into her eyesight as she felt her strength disappear. Tears sprung to her eyes, as Kagome pleaded, "No Not the shards."

Inuyasha scowled, "What do you mean not the shards?"

Her body went limp in his arms as she whispered, "The well. The well."

______________________

The next time her eyes opened only Sango and Inuyasha were there to greet her. The others had gone to sleep outside the broken shack. The rain had long since passed.

Kagome stared at the two feeling drained and frightened, "How long?"

"Only a few hours" Sango replied while handing her a bowl of stew. The priestess eagerly accepted the meal, but she dropped the entire contents as soon as the wood touched her hand.

"Sorry" Kagome muttered through tears of pain.

"No, I should have remembered your hand" the huntress replied while cleaning up the mess. As another bowl was prepared Inuyasha came to Kagome's side. She looked up at him and saw the hurt lying in his golden orbs. He felt responsible. He had not protected her.

Kagome smiled softly and shook her head. It was the same response when she got hurt. Silently she told him it was not his fault that her side was torn and her arms were scratched. He looked away with a sad face.

"Kagome?" Sango called the woman.

She turned to her sister, "Yes?"

They had been lost in their concern for several hours waiting for their dearest friend to wake. Inuyasha had, as expected, refused to leave her side. The others had waited all the previous night before her first wake and could no longer deny sleep. Regretfully, they succumbed to their mortal need and slept. Sango was use to the lack of sleep from her training and thus stayed by her sister's side.

During those four hours they had been on the edge of their seats. Both were anxious to understand why Kagome had panicked earlier.

"Why did you freak out earlier?" Sango asked innocently, "And why were you talking about the well?"

Kagome immediately went rigid and her eyes swiveled to the door. She needed to get to the well. She needed to stop Naraku.

"Kagome?"

She had to get the shards from him, or better yet kill him.

"Kagome?"

But what could she do? She was injured and exhausted. All he had to do was swat slap her arm and she would crumble.

"Kagome!"

She gasped, "Yes?"

Inuyasha and Sango were both inches from her. The woman had momentarily looked ready to bolt out the door. Sango wrapped an arm over the maiden's battered shoulders, "What is it? What's wrong?"

That did it.

Kagome broke into sobs, shoving her face into her good hand, "Naraku. Naraku knows."

"Don't cry, Kagome" Inuyasha growled softly, growing very uncomfortable with her tears. He could never take her crying. She didn't deserve the heartache.

"Calm down, Kagome. Everything is going to be alright" Sango tried to calm her.

"NO!" the time traveler yelled in a broken sob, "You don't get it! Naraku knows who I am! He knows where I'm from."

Okay, that was new.

Inuyasha scowled, "What are you trying to say?"

The priestess went limp, "He knows I travel through the Bone Eater's Well. He wants to go to my time and take over."

"What?"

Her tears pooled on the floor, "He discovered this by following us and also using Kanna's mirror. He captured me to find out how exactly I travel through the well."

Kagome struggled against her injuries and stood, "I don't know the extent of Kanna's abilities, but if she was able to see into my mind she might understand how the well is used."

Fisting her good hand Kagome wobbled towards the door, "I refuse to let him even go near the well."

In seconds she was falling and in less than a minute she was in his arms. Kagome frowned as she was cradled tenderly, 'Darn, this weak body of mine.'

"You are in no condition to fight, wench" he snarled, lifting her into his strong arms, "Even if you were in top shape you would never stand a chance."

Feebly she pushed aside his arms her eyes locked on the door, "I don't care!"

Her eyes were filled with tears as she zigzagged across the room, "I'm responsible for the well. I was the one who created the portal so I am its protector."

"Kagome, please let us help you" Sango grabbed the girl's arm, "We'll never let you fight by yourself, besides all of us have a score to settle with Naraku. We would never forgive you if you did him in without our help."

Smiling through her weary eyes Kagome dropped a hand on the huntress's shoulder. How was she blessed with such devoted friends?

"Thank you" she whispered trying to hide the shake in her voice, "Why don't you go get the others so we discuss a strategy."

The woman nodded and rushed outside. As soon as the door closed Kagome's knees buckled and Inuyasha caught her once more, "How bad is it?"

She rubbed her brow, "How would you measure a throbbing hand, a burning side, an aching body, and a slamming headache?"

He generously brought her back to the mat, "I think I measure it worthy of a nap."

"No, no! There's no time for naps" she hissed, "I've been unconscious for hours! We've lost too much time as it is. Naraku could already be through the well!"

Again she shot towards the door ignoring the pains electrifying through her nerves. In seconds a force whipped her by the wrist. Her nose brushed his, as his amber eyes glared, "You are not leaving this hut."

The tone was low, slightly intimidating, but she was use to his tactics. His anger was the way of covering up his true emotions. He was worried.

She knew he was. She had learned that, but she was too anxious at that moment. So of course, she blew things out of proportion. Tears swelled in her fire lit eyes, "Don't order me to do that, Inuyasha!"

"You'll get yourself killed," he yelled. Her wrist slipped from his hand.

"I won't let my time suffer just to save me!" she shouted her heart screaming in passion. He stared at her wishing against she did not believe that. Determination reflected in her tears and Inuyasha's jaw locked.

She was holding the same look.

He had vowed to never let her have that expression on her face. He wanted to protect her from it. Behind that look there was an obsession - actually it was more of a suicidal desire - to stop Naraku.

Members of their shard-hunting group had surrendered to the bitter insanity. One by one they were tested and they fell into the monster's pit allowing him to pull the strings. He had herded them into the corners he wanted. Now they were all bound to a destiny to end Naraku's reign. Never would they rest until he was dead.

Kagome Higurashi was not meant for that fate and thus, her second family had sought to keep her virgin of the filthy path. For a while, it had worked. Naraku had no pursuit of breaking a spirit he did not know.

When he became aware she was a friend that was when his attention focused on her. Attacks were placed against her and she was captured a few times. When it was discovered her relationship to the dead miko, Kikyo, everything was thrown into new perspective. To have his full revenge, he needed to break this new woman.

All he needed was to know her history, and then he would realize how to break her.

And now he knew.