InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Closer than before I met you ❯ Chapter 8 ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 8:

InuYasha stared up at the shrine with a mixture of disgust and awe. Disgust for the holy power radiating from it and awe for the great buildings that stood regally against the background of the city. He looked at the ageless steps that climbed up towards the main grounds of the shrine. The buildings, from what he could see, were in excellent repair and well taken care of. The shrubs, trees and flowering plants were groomed and the scent hovered over the area. Kagome stepped on the bottom of the steps and climbed to the top. ‘No wonder she’s in excellent shape.’ he thought to himself as he felt the aura of the buildings come crushing down on him when they reached the top. He felt himself freeze as he couldn’t get past the barrier set up to protect the holy grounds. The aura was powerful and ancient, older than the shrine itself. He watched as Kagome stopped two feet from the entrance arch and turned back. A breeze swept his long black hair from his face and blew it to the side.

“Come on. It’s a shrine. It can’t kill you.” She said as her blue-gray eyes caught the sunlight overhead. Blue tints in her hair moved in her hair as the breeze came back and pulled at her long locks.

‘Yeah it can.’ he spoke to himself, even being half, the power of the shrine was enough to kill him and his human side.

She walked back to him and shook her head. “Are you coming or not?” she asked as she grabbed his arm and tugged him forward. With her contact being willing and not forced he was able to pass the barrier. ‘There’s something about her I can’t quite place.’ he thought to himself as he felt the barrier caress his skin and remind him that it was holy and he wasn‘t. She released his arm as an aging man swept the shrine grounds with an ancient looking broom seemingly the age of the shrine itself.

“Kagome!” a youthful voice shouted from the building. A teenage boy walked out, his hair covered with a black hat swept backwards and a bucket of a gray watery substance. He dumped it out in the bushes to the side and ran to meet Kagome. The thunk of the wooden bucket echoed in the quiet courtyard.

“Souta!” Kagome said as he wrapped his arms around his older sister. Souta was slightly taller than his sister and had the same black hair and round face. His eyes were the muddy brown with gold flakes in them. His hair, from what InuYasha could see was floppy and long enough to cover his ears.

“Kagome?” the aging man asked as he looked at them then at InuYasha with suspicion. His ageless eyes pierced his soul and the man screamed, “Demon!” and ran at him. InuYasha was confused as the man slapped a paper scroll on his forehead.

“Grandpa!” Kagome and Souta yelled as the old man slapped another ofuda scroll on InuYasha’s chest. “I’m so sorry InuYasha. He thinks everybody’s a demon.” Kagome said as she pealed the scrolls off his face and chest. The paper burned slightly as she touched it and left a red mark on his face. Souta pulled their grandfather away as he glared at InuYasha. He sighed and released the breath he didn’t know he was holding.

“He must have put on a stronger glue this time.” Kagome said as she looked at the rectangular shaped burn mark on his face.

“Keh, it’s fine.” he said as he pushed her hand away. “Now what do I do?” he asked gruffly, the purification burn’s pain just about gone.

“You can clean the gutters. Souta’s cleaning the well house and Grandpa is sweeping. I’ll clean the shop and then cook some lunch for us.” she said as she looked down at her clothing, “I’d better change. If you finish with the gutters could you repaint the fence around the God Tree? Souta left a can of the paint there.”

“Yeah, whatever.” he said as he headed for the building she pointed out that needed the gutters cleaned out.

You return to the sight of that which you died? the wind whispered through the leaves of the God Tree. You return to the sight you lost the one you loved? I know you, hanyou. I know the scar you bear, the cross on your back, the weight on your shoulders. Half demon, half human, a mix in the past that brought death and now in these new days, a mix that is all to common as your race dies out. She rests in your heart, the scar from her arrow in mine.

He ignored the ramblings of the holy tree, a tree with an aura that pulsed, wavered and beat as a living heart did. He shook his head as he felt the scar on his chest, a scar, his brother told him, he was born with. He growled to himself, he didn’t know what the tree was talking about, nor did he want to find out at the moment, all he knew was that that the burn on his face was healing already. He felt the stare of somebody on his shoulders and turned to see the aging face of Kagome’s grandfather watching him with a scowl.

“Here.” Kagome’s younger brother Souta said as he thrust out a bucket and a hand trowel. “There’s a ladder on the side of the house.” he said pointing to the ladder leaning against the house.

“Okay.” he said as he walked the distance to the house and picked up the ladder.

***Hours Later***

InuYasha gobbled down his food, starving for the first time in years. He supposed that hard work did that to you. He wasn’t unhappy about it since he got to know his roommate a bit better. From what he could see Kagome lived in a well-loved and tender environment that was a reflection of who she was and what he ideals were. Her grandfather, although a bit eccentric was a nice guy when you got past his rough exterior, all he cared for was his grandchildren’s well-being and his shrine. Her brother Souta, he could see was a bit of a slob, which was fine by him since he too was a slob when he wanted to be. At the moment Souta was a rival for the way InuYasha ate, Kagome’s younger brother was shoveling his food in his mouth in much the same manner as InuYasha himself.

Kagome was at ease in her childhood home, relaxed and calm she didn’t seem worried about anything, except maybe the fact her grandfather was trying to tell her the history of something in his food.

“Did I ever tell you the history of these pickles?” her grandfather wheezed. “They date back to the 1800’s when our country was starting out.”

“I just bought those a couple of days ago grandpa.” Kagome said with a sigh.

“I wasn’t speaking of just these but the whole thought of pickles!” he said with a sly look.

InuYasha snorted. So this was what a loving family did, he thought to himself as Kagome shook her head at her grandfather. He had missed out on much it seemed.

“InuYasha, would you like some more?” She asked him sweetly, her voice soft.

“Yeah sure.” he said in his gruff manner, she smiled and grabbed his bowl as she stood.

“So you’re the one who is living with us now?” Souta asked him.

“Yeah.” He said as he shifted his weight in the chair.

“Did you meet Zurni?” he asked with a sly look nearly the mirror of his grandfather’s.

“Unfortunately yes.” InuYasha said causing Souta to laugh at him.

“Don’t worry he’ll warm up to you eventually.” Souta said as his sister came back carrying a bowl in both hands.

“here you go.” she told him as she placed it in front of him.

InuYasha sniffed the bowl with a delighted grin and proceeded to shovel it in. Kagome, Souta and their grandpa looked on with a bemused smile.

"I didn't know it was that bad." Kagome said with a somber look.

InuYasha looked up at her quickly, then said, his voice muffled by the food, "No, it's good. It just has been awhile since I had something this good."

"I guess you'll just eat us out of all the food." Kagome said with a grin as InuYasha swallowed his last bite. "Gramps we should be heading home now. Souta has school in the morning and I have work."
"I will see you tomorrow then. And watch out for this one." Her grandpa said motioning towards him.

"Oh he's fine. I'm not too worried about it." Kagome said as she placed the dishes in the sink and washed them. "Okay, the leftovers are in the fridge. I'll comeback this weekend. Bye grandpa." she bent down to hug him. "I love you."

InuYasha winced at those words, and once again wondered why this girl bothered him so.