InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Collected Works ❯ The Last Word ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: The Last Word
Author: LuxKen27
Universe: AU (modern era music industry)
Word length (250 max): 250
Rating: K
Warnings: None
Summary: Whatever happened to the fine art of getting in the last word?

Entry for: iyfic_contest Week 160, “Power” prompt

Author's Note: This is set in my Nihon Idol universe. The only relevant information you need to know is that Koga humiliated Kagome during her televised birthday celebration a few weeks before.

Disclaimer: The Inuyasha concept, story, and characters are copyright Rumiko Takahashi and Viz Media.

~*~

“Right!” the host chirped, gliding over to their spot on the stage. “I’m standing here with our two famous finalists from Nihon Idol!” He grinned. “I’ve been following your feud in the tabloids, ladies, and I hear you’re going to bury the hatchet for us – and for such a great cause – tonight, in song!”

“That’s right,” Kagome piped up, eyeing her archenemy with skepticism. “But Tsubaki has something she’d like to say first.”

Tsubaki’s expression was contrite as the microphone was passed to her. “Right. I’d just like to say – I’m sorry, Kagome.” She took a breath. “I’m sorry you’re a played-out angst cliché who’s destined for one-hit-wonder-dom.” She paused, a Cheshire-cat grin lighting her face. “And I’m really sorry about Koga. I guess he likes his women to be…well…women.”

Rebellious tears welled up behind Kagome’s eyes as she struggled to keep her composure. The host made cat-hissing sounds as he laughed off the cruel words, moving over to the phone banks, taking the spotlight with him.

“What’s your problem?” Kagome muttered.

“My problem is this whiny victim routine you’re always playing,” Tsubaki sneered.

“Whiny victim? You stole my boyfriend on national TV!” Kagome cried. “I am the victim here!”

Tsubaki rolled her eyes. “Oh, please. You dated him for, what, two months? I’ve had longer colds. Get over it already!”

“Get over it?” Kagome repeated incredulously, the tears spilling over. “I loved him!”

The declaration rang out across the hall, bringing everything – and everyone – to a screeching, silent halt.