InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Collected Works ❯ Remembrance ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Remembrance
Author: LuxKen27
Genre: Drama
Universe: Canon
Rating: T
Warnings: Very angsty *sigh*
Word Count: 400
Summary: She told him to never forget her…like that was even possible.

Entry for: dokuga_contest [Sess/Kag] Drabble #4, “Dream”

Disclaimer: The Inuyasha concept, story, and characters are copyright Rumiko Takahashi and Viz Media.
“Dream a Little Dream of Me” © 1968 The Mamas & The Papas

~*~

…stars shining bright above you…

Sesshoumaru gazed up into the heavens, the delicate twinkling of the stars mirroring the unshed tears behind his eyes.

She didn’t deserve this. Neither did he.

They had stood shoulder to shoulder for nigh on fifty years. He was the most powerful youkai in all the land; she was the strongest miko the world had seen in centuries. Together, they were formidable. They could conquer any territory, vanquish any foe.

…night breezes seem to whisper ‘I love you’…

He remembered the day it started – the day her life began to ebb away. He had awakened with a jolt, absolutely, irrationally certain she was dead even as she lay there beside him. Not until he gathered her close and nearly squeezed the startled breath from her lungs did he realize she was, indeed, alive.

“What’s wrong?” she had whispered, and his stomach turned.

He could smell it on her: the sickeningly sweet stench of death.

“Nothing,” he had replied, his embrace tightening ever so slightly around her. She curled against him, slipping readily into sleep once more, but he lay awake silently, the scent drifting in and out of his nostrils, a tacit threat.

…I linger on, still craving your kiss…

It was a long, slow, painful process. She wasted away before his very eyes, gradually losing her strength, her powers. He was helpless to stop it, and that made him angry – frustrated – irritated beyond all reason. She, on the other hand, seemed to understand and accept her fate. She wasn’t happy about it, but, typically, she was more worried about him than herself.

…say ‘nighty-night’ and kiss me…

“It must make you terribly sad,” she said that night as he held her with gentleness generally unknown. “To know you’ll continue to live on, even after I’m gone.”

“Hmph,” he grunted. They were lying outside, in the field where they’d pledged their allegiance to each other so many years before. She came to him as the last living member of his brother’s group, and he had taken her in, never expecting to find such peace, happiness…and contentment in her presence.

“Promise me one thing,” she said, reaching up to touch his face one last time.

…just hold me tight and tell me you’ll miss me…

“What’s that?” he asked, bringing her closer.

She smiled. “Be happy, my darling Sesshoumaru…and one day…dream a little dream of me.”