InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Collected Works ❯ A Dream Deferred ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: A Dream Deferred
Author: LuxKen27
Genre: Drama
Universe: Canon (post manga)
Rating: T
Warnings: Death
Word Count (250 max): 250
Summary: After everything he’d been through for her, she wanted nothing more than to grant his untold wish – no matter what the personal cost.

Entry for: iyissekiwa prompt #64, “Lose”

Disclaimer: The Inuyasha concept, story, and characters are copyright Rumiko Takahashi and Viz Media.

~*~

Kagome sighed as she lay on the futon. Slowly, hesitantly, she placed her hands on her belly, smoothing over the once-taut skin.

The conception had been sudden…unexpected…but not unwanted.

How clearly she remembered Inuyasha’s expression when she told him she was sure. The look of unadulterated delight that sparkled in his eyes would forever be burned in her memory. After everything he’d been through for her, she desperately wanted to grant him this wish, make his impossible dream a reality.

For that, she’d gladly endured the extra suffering that accompanied a human carrying a part-demon child.

But…

Even without modern conveniences to accurately calculate her trimesters – she knew. The contractions had started too early, the pain ripping through her, threatening to split her in half. For two solid days she labored, screaming and crying, pushing and panicking.

Those first agonized shrieks brought him to her side, and he steadfastly remained there through it all. Kaede was there as well, to assist, and Kagome could sense the fear behind the old miko’s stoic expression.

She knew, too.

The baby was lost.

Stillborn.

Kagome closed her eyes as exhausted tears trickled down her cheeks. She felt his hand cover hers, fingers twining together over her empty womb.

“I’m sorry,” she whispered.

“Keh,” he muttered, his voice heavy. Gently, he lifted her head onto his lap, his free hand smoothing the hair on her forehead. “Don’t say such things.”

“We can try again,” she murmured.

“Only when you’re ready,” was the soft reply.