InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Collected Works ❯ Someone to Protect ( Chapter 27 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Someone to Protect
Author: LuxKen27
Genre: General
Universe: Canon (Early-to-mid manga)
Rating: T
Warning: None
Word Count: 300
Summary: Sesshoumaru finds himself staring down the business end of Kagome’s arrow.

Author’s Note: Inspired by scenes from Chapters 110 & 187

Entry for: dokuga_contest [Sess/Kag] Drabble #15, “Arrow” (3rd Place)

Disclaimer: The Inuyasha concept, story, and characters are copyright Rumiko Takahashi and Viz Media.

~*~

He sensed her distress long before he found her.

The panicked sniffles and sobs rang in his ears long before he saw her.

She heard him approach, drawing her weapon in preparation for a confrontation.

“Don’t come any closer,” she called.

Sesshoumaru paid the warning no heed, eyeing her closely as he moved forward. Kagome crouched close to her precious burden, assuming a defensive stance, her arms firm as she pulled the bowstring taut. The point of the arrow sizzled with her miko energy, aimed straight and true for his chest.

“I will not hesitate,” she called out, her voice ragged. “Not even for you, Sesshoumaru.”

He stopped, lifting an eyebrow in slight distaste. “Is he dead?” he asked tonelessly, indicating the lump behind her.

She stared at him for a long moment, sizing him up, before releasing her stance with a shaky breath. “No,” she admitted.

The stench of blood in the air was the same as his and his father’s. “Where is Tessaiga?”

Again, Kagome hesitated. “I don’t know,” she murmured. “Inuyasha threw it aside in frustration and attacked with his claws…” She paused, tears slipping from the corners of her eyelids. “I followed him after he chased the bandits, telling the others to bring the sword when they had a chance.”

Sesshoumaru took a step forward. Kagome pushed back, covering Inuyasha’s body with hers. “I won’t allow you to kill him,” she vowed.

“Hmph.” With the flick of his wrist, he tossed something at her.

Kagome gasped in surprise as Tessaiga landed in the dust. “You had it?” she cried, reaching out, touching the scabbard tentatively.

“He does not deserve your compassion,” Sesshoumaru observed with a sniff, turning on his heel. “Nor mine. Next time the sword is in my possession, I will not be so generous.”