InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Collected Works ❯ Savior ( Chapter 36 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Savior
Author: LuxKen27
Genre: Drama
Universe: Late-canon manga (Chapter 536)
Rating: T
Warning: Suicidal contemplation
Word Count (250 max): 250
Summary: Miroku stares down most certain death in the wake of the kazaana’s expansion.

Entry for: iyissekiwa prompt #69, “Peril” (2nd Place)

Disclaimer: The Inuyasha concept, story, and characters are copyright Rumiko Takahashi and Viz Media.

~*~

Keep…going.

Miroku trudged through the disgusting innards of Naraku’s body, his right arm extended out in front of him. His raised his left hand to his face, covering his nose and mouth with his sleeve in order to withstand another blast of shouki.

Must…keep…going.

The kazaana was growing larger by the second, its winds whistling around his grip on his staff. Poison pulsated up the length of his arm, a keen reminder of his peril.

Sango…

His heart constricted as her final expression, one of abject horror, flashed across his mind.

No…I will not allow you to die.

The prickles of pain drew dangerously closer to his heart. Sweat beaded his brow.

“Take me with you,” echoed an ethereal voice.

“What?” Miroku whispered, unable to see beyond the thick, purplish haze.

“Houshi-sama, we will die together.”

Blood roared in his ears as his panic swelled.

No,” he moaned, stumbling forward, away from the illusion. He landed at an odd angle, his staff rolling just out of reach. “Stay away.”

He felt like he was drowning.

I’m not going to make it.

His right palm whistled menacingly. His left hand slipped from its place over his mouth.

Sango…

“Take this,” a new voice commanded, shoving something cold and hard and metallic against his face. He gazed up, alarmed – shocked – relieved.

“But…why?” he questioned, staring at his savior.

Sango drew her sword, turning to face their mutual enemy. “I won’t let you go, houshi-sama,” she replied with determination. “Not without a fight.”