InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Collected Works ❯ Sweet Sorrow ( Chapter 41 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Sweet Sorrow
Author: LuxKen27
Genre: Romance
Universe: Alternate
Rating: T
Warnings: Slight innuendo
Word Count: 400
Summary: Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Entry for: dokuga_contest [Sess/Kag] Drabble #23, “Missing”

Disclaimer: The Inuyasha concept, story, and characters are copyright Rumiko Takahashi and Viz Media.

~*~

Kagome’s eyes fluttered open as she felt the shift of the mattress beneath her. She burrowed further into the bed, drawing the covers around herself, as the weight beside her lifted away.

“Do you really have to leave?” she sighed.

“Do we really have to go through this every time?” he replied. In spite of his choice of words, his tone was patient. “You knew this is how it would be.”

She drew her knees to her chest as he shuffled towards the bath. What’s that old saying? she thought wryly as she heard the taps running. Only fools rush in?

Yes, she had known what she was getting herself into when she agreed to become his lover. She knew he was a very powerful man, the leader of his field, and that his job required almost nonstop world travel. She knew he had heretofore devoted his life to his business, and that he was hardly the sort to drop everything on a whim.

Yet she also knew that, beneath his icy exterior, lurked the heart of a fiery and passionate man…

He slipped quietly back into the room, moving with understated grace as he dressed and packed a travelling bag. She watched him silently, looking for any reassurance.

Satisfied that he was finished, he turned to her, his lips drawn up in a small, indulgent smile. “I’m sorry you can’t come with me,” he murmured, sinking down on the bed beside her.

“Is this the hardest part?” she asked suddenly, turning to face him. “Leaving?”

“No,” he mused, reaching out, tracing the sweep of her brow with one finger.

She sucked in a breath, her heart beating painfully in her chest. Surely, he didn’t mean…?

He laughed then – the great Ice Lord himself actually deigned to laugh. “Silly girl,” he teased. “I’d have hoped you knew me well enough to realize it by now.”

“What?” she whispered fearfully.

“The hardest part, by far, is missing you,” he replied, inching closer with each word, his lips meeting hers at the end of a breath.

She felt herself melting into his embrace, fear and doubt falling away. Just as her arms curled around his neck, he pulled away.

“I’m sorry,” he apologized again, shuddering. “I have to go.”

“All right,” she relented. “Just promise me, you’ll return.”

He granted her an enigmatic smile. “Only if you promise to wait for me.”