InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Collected Works ❯ Temptation ( Chapter 56 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Temptation
Author: LuxKen27
Universe: Canon
Rating: T
Warnings: None
Word Count (750 max): 750
Summary: The Inu no Taisho meets his forbidden temptation.

Entry for: iy_themes #4, “Silk”

Author’s Note: This was inspired by a scene from Chapter 5 of Youkai Yume’s Sess/Kag doujinshi “Raindrops,” which can be read at her account on deviantArt.

Disclaimer: The Inuyasha concept, story, and characters are copyright Rumiko Takahashi and Viz Media.

~*~

He stood. He waited. He watched.

The human under observation was oblivious to his presence in the shadowy copse of trees, humming to herself as she strolled along the path. Though dressed in a simple enough ensemble, and carrying a large basket half-filled with apples, he could tell she was no mere servant, sent out from the nearby castle to gather food along the forest’s edge. No, she moved far too slowly to be pursuing an order or particular destination; she did not scrabble up the trees to pick the most delectable fruit, nor did she gather what she could reach in a swift or businesslike manner.

No, this was no ordinary girl. And that’s what intrigued him the most.

His dark amber eyes followed her languid movements, one eyebrow arching up as she lowered herself to the ground nearby. She picked through the fallen fruit that surrounded her, examining each one carefully before deciding if it would find a home in her basket. She was close enough to his little hiding place that the breeze picked up her scent, bringing it to his nose within moments. She smelled not of the earth, of dirt and work and fatigue, but somehow resembled a flower instead – light, clean, with a hint of citrus and mint.

Intriguing.

“How long will you linger there, my lord?” she called out, startling him from his thoughts.

He moved forward, stepping out of the shadows. “How long have you been aware of my presence?” he responded.

She glanced up, a slow smile curving her lips. “Long enough,” she replied softly, extending her hand towards him.

His expression didn’t change, in spite of the surprise that coursed through him. Surely she realized he was not of her kind – one glance would confirm that: golden eyes, silver hair, the swath of fur covering his armor. Most humans feared him on sight, but this one seemed content to draw him into conversation instead.

“Might I offer you an apple, my lord?” she asked, allowing her gaze to fall to her lap, as if in deference.

He frowned as he studied her. Her skin was the color of purely-driven snow, framed by sleek chestnut hair pulled back in a modest braid. Her almond-shaped eyes were well complemented by a slightly upturned nose and high, aristocratic cheekbones. His heart began to beat a little faster as his gaze settled on her mouth, her full, pink lips so soft and pliant and tempting. His eyes traveled up the length of her arm to her hand, where she cupped a ruddy red apple. The skin of her hands was clean, unblemished, no doubt never known to the calluses that accompanied manual labor.

He slapped her hand away. “You insult me, hime,” he declared calmly, some feeling of triumph flooding through him when she snapped her head up in response, eyes flashing.

“I merely offered you an apple,” she said tersely, rising from the ground, clutching her basket in front of her. “How is that insulting?”

He was amused at her irritation. “Your very being insults me,” he clarified.

His eyes swept over her again, and for the first time he realized how haphazardly she was dressed. No doubt she is used to only feeling the finest silk against her skin, he mused, his gaze lingering at the tiny opening of her kimono at the neck. Yes, he could very easily envision this creature garbed in the royal silk robes of her kind, a familiar floral pattern – or perhaps a family crest – gracing the sleeves. She’d look best in white, with a blue overlay, something to bring out the hint of rose in her lips…

His breath constricted in his chest as he imagined the possibilities.

“Izayoi-sama!” called a voice from the distance. “Izayoi-sama, are you there?”

The girl glanced back over her shoulder, revealing the smooth expanse of her neck and sending the taiyoukai’s heart aflame with curiosity and lust. She turned back to him, green eyes meeting gold, contention mixing with interest in her gaze.

“If you will excuse me, my lord,” she murmured, falling into a graceful bow before walking away.

“There you are, Izayoi-sama!” the voice cried as she drew nearer. “Oh, it is much too dangerous for you to be out alone like this! And why are you dressed that way? Your father will be most displeased!”

Izayoi, he mused, reaching for the misbegotten apple. I have a feeling this is not the last we’ll see of each other.