InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Come Away With Me ❯ Let Life Go... ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~*Come Away With Me*~

Napea

Rumiko Takahashi owns Inuyasha-tachi not me.

~*~

I sighed for about the hundredth time in the last hour. I was really going to meet Sesshoumaru at six. Why? Because he gave me no choice? Yeah, I wish I could use that as an excuse.

Ya know the phrase 'Curiosity killed the cat'? Yeah well in this case it just might be true. But I can't help it. I'm curious. There was something in his eyes that I wanted to see again.

So here I am, standing in front of my mirror feeling strangely self-conscious. He said dress nicely but what was his opinion of nicely? I decided on a simple short black skirt with slits on each side, knee high black boots and a red peasant top that reminded me too much of Inuyasha's usual garbs. Swiping away a tear I finished zipping my boot when I heard the car pull up and honk, rather annoyingly.

I sighed, rolled my eyes and headed out, giving Souta one quick smack on the head. Lovingly, of course. I got two steps out the door when I paused and gaped. Sesshoumaru was leaning against a green jaguar, his arms crossed over his chest, looking off in some direction as if he hadn't heard me coming, but I knew better.

He looked…snazzy…not that just wasn't strong enough. Drop-dead gorgeous was more like it. Now there aren't many men who can pull off a black Armani suit with long silver hair and long slender hands with nails that were a tid bit pointier than they should be. My feet were finally working and I was slowly approaching him. As I got closer I noticed he had a blood red shirt and a black tie. I was suddenly feeling dangerously underdressed.

He finally looked at me, stopping me in my tracks. His eyes started moving from my face to my neck and further down until he got to my boots then his eyes came back up to meet mine just as slowly. I couldn't help but blush, I tried not to, honestly. He smiled suddenly then held a hand out to me. I took a weak step forward and took his offered hand. As I was passing him to get in the car he leaned down and whispered in my ear.

"You look gorgeous as usual." Again I could feel the heat rushing up my face.

"I'm nothing compared to you." I said, trying to gain my indifference back. "You always did have impeccable style, even back in the Sengoku Jidai." He gave a quick nod with a bit of a smirk. It was his way of saying he enjoyed the comment and the effect he was having on me. I tried to convince myself that he wasn't having an effect on me. He wasn't. He wasn't. He wasn't. He-

"Is something on your mind?" He asked as he started the car then we were moving.

"A lot." I replied blandly. A few moments of silence past.

"Would you like to share?" I frowned.

"I have a few questions, Sesshoumaru." A ghost of a smile graced his lips but his eyes stayed glued to the road. Sesshoumaru driving. Somehow that seemed…wrong.

"I thought you might. We're here." I blinked. So soon? Didn't we just get in the car? He turned to me, as I went for the door. Click. My eyes snapped to his. "You're awfully quiet."

"Where are we?" he paused, something passing behind those beautiful golden eyes.

"My place." I looked at the mansion he just dubbed his place.

"Why?" I asked. Paranoid, who me?

"I have my reasons."

"Does it include pain?" He chuckled lightly.

"I hoped you would rather enjoy it." The heat in my face was leaving and so was the color. He frowned. "Are you alright?" I gave a slight nod.

"Just need some air. That's all." Is it weird to be freaked out, being trapped in the car with a known killer? As if sensing my unease he turned worried eyes toward me but his face seemed indifferent.

"Kagome, I'm not going to hurt you. Honestly. You must believe me." I gave another shaky nod.

"I know. At least I think I know. I just…" I sighed and turned to face him. "Can you blame me, Sesshoumaru? I mean until the end you were trying to kill me."

"And that is why I wish to apologize." I blinked at him.

"You? Apologize? Somehow that doesn't seem like you." Another ghost of a smile.

"As I said Kagome, people change."

"But not you."

"Even me." He replied firmly.

"But-" He cut me off.

"No more questions for now. Let us go in." I frowned as he got out of the car and came to my door. He opened the door and offered me a hand again, which I took without hesitating. A tall orangish-red haired teenager came running out of the house with the silliest grin on his face. My senses were screaming 'Youkai Youkai!' but I could tell this youkai meant no harm.

Before I could duck the teenager wrapped his arms around me crying my name. I stared wide-eyed at Sesshoumaru who looked slightly amused.

"Kagome! Gods it's good to see you! How have you been? Where'd you go after we killed Naraku? I was so scared, I thought I'd lost you forever!" Then it dawned on me.

"SHIPPOU!" This time I was the one to hug the hell out of him. Just as quickly I pulled away. "How? Why are you with Sesshoumaru? How…?" He gave a toothy grin.

"Youkai can live a long time Kagome. Sesshoumaru and I have been waiting for you for a while." My eyes shot from one to the other then back.

"I know they live long but THIS long? Crikey if I had known…" I hugged him again as tears streamed down my face. My Shippou. I have my Shippou again.

"I was so scared." His voice was sad and muffled against my neck. "I lost my mom and dad then I found you." He hugged me tighter. "Then I lost you too. You were my family Kagome, my mother." The tears kept streaming down my face and my knees gave out. Shippou followed me down to my knees as I broke down into sobs. I never really allowed myself a good cry when I came back. I always denied the tears and now they were coming out full force. I needed this.

"Shippou…I missed you so much. I thought I'd never see you again!" I managed to choke out over sobs. I grabbed onto him tighter. "Please don't leave me." There was a muffled laugh and we pulled away.

"I'm the one who should say that." He grinned down at me. "Don't worry mom, I'm not going anywhere." I choked out a laugh.

"Don't call me that in public, people will think we're weird." His grin widened.

"Let them. I got my Kagome back, I don't care what they think." Someone cleared his throat. That someone was Sesshoumaru.

"Perhaps we should go inside?" Shippou helped me to my feet and I gave him a nod. We followed Sesshoumaru inside.

"So how old are you now Kagome?" Shippou latched onto my arm and I smiled. I suppose he can't sit on my shoulder anymore.

"I just turned 19 last month." His eyes widened.

"Oh! Happy belated birthday!" He grinned again. He would have looked completely human if he didn't have the fangs but he was just like Sesshoumaru. Most of his youkai traits were gone.

"Thank you." I smiled sweetly. Sesshoumaru stopped suddenly and looked at the kitsune.

"You are welcome to join us Shippou, if you so please." A hint of mischief sparkled in the kitsune's eyes.

"I think I'll leave you two alone tonight." I almost protested but he stopped me. "I promise to dine with you soon but I have business to take care of." I felt an undeniable urge to pout but nodded. With a quick peck on my cheek he was gone. Must be that demon speed.

Sesshoumaru offered me his arm and again I took it without hesitating. We made our way through the huge mansion as we passed people who bowed to us. One person approached Sesshoumaru.

"Nishi-sama dinner is ready when you are." My eyes widened and shot to Sesshoumaru. He nodded to the man and kept walking.

"Nishi-san? From Nishi corp.?" He smirked slightly.

"So you have heard of me."

"Last I heard you were Sesshoumaru-sama Lord of the Western Lands not Nishi-san founder of Nishi corp." I thought about it for a second then shrugged. "I suppose it fits you. Having a position of such power."

A servant opened a door and Sesshoumaru led me through it to a wonderfully large dinning room. My eyes went as wide as they could as he pulled out a chair and motioned for me. He expertly pushed the chair underneath me when I sat then took the seat at the head of the table.

"I had no idea I was so famous." I looked at him as if he were insane.

"Sesshoumaru, you're the most successful person in Tokyo. Well, youkai." Another servant placed a plate in front of me. Filet mignon. Gods, somebody found my weakness. "We're studying you in my Business Admin. Class." His eyes studied me for a moment.

"You take business courses?" He asked, showing interest.

I nodded. "Actually I'm majoring in business." I smiled over at him. "Maybe you can give me some tips?" He smiled back and nodded slightly.

"Have you interned?" I almost sighed. Interning was the furthest thing from my mind and the one thing I wasn't looking forward to. Sure I had put in a few applications, made a few calls but I hadn't heard back from any of them. It was kinda silly if you think about it. A miko who used to live in the past and fought demons wanted to be a businesswoman.

"Not yet." Another hint of something in his eyes. It almost made me nervous but it was gone quicker than it came. His mask of indifference was back and I was almost thankful.

"Are you waiting or just not looking at all." I paused. Is he making small talk?

"Both I guess." He frowned slightly.

"Perhaps you haven't been looking in the right place?" He offered. "Perhaps you should intern for me?" I almost jumped out of my skin.

"Intern for you? Forgive me for asking but…why?" His eyes twinkled with amusement but his face remained calm.

"To fulfill your major requirements and to give me the pleasure of your company." I stared down at the food I'd barely touched then glanced up at him.

"Do you remember the last time you offered to help me?" A small smile played on his lips.

"Perfectly. As I remember you said something along the lines of 'Go fuck yourself you over grown mutt.'" He looked genuinely amused. "Of course at the time I didn't know what 'fuck' meant until a few decades ago and needless to say I was slightly surprised by your…crassness." The heat was rushing toward my face again.

"I was extremely stressed. I'm sorry."

"Don't be. It was…amusing." I fought the urge to glare at him. He made it so obvious that he was making fun of me.

"So what changed Sesshoumaru? Or should I say Nishi-san?"

"Don't. We're way past formalities and you never abided by them before." I blinked. Was that annoyance in his voice? Surely not.

"Sorry." I stared down at my now empty plate. A servant came and cleared the table, and then Sesshoumaru scooted closer to me.

"Do you remember what I said to Inuyasha when he died?" My heart sank and those damn tears were threatening to show again.

"Don't…" I barely whispered but he didn't stop.

"I told him that I'd see to it that you were returned to your home, your time and that I would protect you until then." A single tear streaked down my cheek.

"Please…"

"He told me before the battle that you didn't belong in that time. I tried to tell him that it would be for the best if we sent you home before but Naraku attacked before we could get to you. When Inuyasha-"

"Stop! Please…" His hand grasped onto mine.

"I'm sorry Kagome but you must know." He put a hand on my chin to make me face him. "When Inuyasha was dying he gave me the Tetsusaiga and asked me to make sure you got home alive. I was filled with an overwhelming need to protect you. Not just for Inuyasha's sake but for mine." I blinked away some tears and tried to focus on him.

"You became as important to me as Rin. I wanted to protect that fiery spirit and loyal heart. Every time you glared at me or made some snide remark I fought the urge to smile. You amused and excited me. I felt I had found an equal in you."

"But I'm human." He smiled lightly.

"Yes, that annoyed me for the first few centuries." He stopped suddenly. His face was still calm but there was an emotion in his eyes…confusion, realization? Both? I wasn't sure.

"What?

He shook his head suddenly. "Nothing. Kagome you have to believe me when I tell you that I mean you no harm. Shippou can vouch for me if need be, but I would rather you trust my word." I considered his words then nodded.

"So you're telling me that in the last five hundred years you've gotten over your hatred of humans?" Again he smiled slightly.

"I can stand them more if that is what you are asking. I still do not like to be compared to one." I mouthed an 'oh'. So he really hadn't changed on that one.

"That's what you meant by people change? Somehow I never thought you'd remove that stick from your ass." He frowned for a moment then smiled.

"Yes I suppose I didn't seem to assimilating." He paused again. "I had thought for decades about how you would react when I found you again. Shippou said you might attack me at first. A couple of months ago he changed his opinion." I nodded slightly.

"Yeah I suppose I've changed too." He squeezed my hand lightly and I smiled up at him. "Three months ago if someone told me I'd be here now, having this conversation with you I might have pointed them to the nearest psychiatric center. Hell I might have given them money for the taxi ride there." He chuckled lightly.

"I don't expect you to completely trust me for a while. In fact I would be surprised if you did. However I would like it if you would intern for me. It would give us some time to see if we can get over the past."

"I'd have to get the paperwork from my advisor and you'd have to comply with my class schedule." He gave a slight nod. "Then I suppose I shouldn't refuse an offer this amazing. My classmates will be jealous." I smirked.

"They should be. Maru Nishi doesn't let just anyone intern for him." I smiled wider.

"Wait you forgot to put the 'this' in the sentence. 'This Maru Nishi doesn't let just anyone intern for him.' It sounds more like you when you do it that way." He gave the first full smile I'd seen on him and it took my breath away. Suddenly his face went blank.

"Are you teasing this Sesshoumaru?" He asked with a quirked brow. I feigned innocence.

"Iie, Nishi-san. I'm just reminding you of your past." He scoffed playfully.

"You and Shippou both. I don't know if I'll be able to stand you two being together." He stood and held a hand out to me. "Come, I'll show you to your room." I blinked.

"Huh?" Yeah I know, that was graceful.

"Oh didn't I tell you?" And there it was again that mischievous glint in his eyes. "Interns stay here during their internship. Besides, Shippou needs his mother near him to keep the annoying whelp in order." I stood and took his offered hand.

"But my things…"

"I'll have Matsui send for them." Me live with Sesshoumaru? I opened my mouth to protest but that's not what came out.

"Okay." Damn my mouth has a mind of it's own.

~*~

Okies I'm not sure if I'm happy with this chapter but I'm gonna post it anyway cuz I've been working on it for a while now. Btw: If Sess seems a little out of character try to remember it's been 500 years and he's getting pretty old (Even though he doesn't look it) he's been forced to live with the one thing he hates most and forced to act and look like them too so it's kinda rubbing off on him. Plus he could just be going senile ne? ^_^

Translations:

Nishi: West (Thanks for the suggestion Saiyuna-san! I decided to translate it to Japanese!) Maru I just got from his name.

Iie: No (no brainer)

Did I use anything else? Nah.

Response to reviewers:

FF.net:

Nova S.: Inuyasha might have a reincarnation, I'm considering it so I haven't come to a decision on it. Thanks for reviewing ^_^!

Tsunami-chan: I hope I answered your questions in this chapter ^_^ if not then feel free to email me!

Tornia: hehe I know I just had to put the business card thing in there. And he might be up to something…*innocent grin*

Viciousbeb0p: He died in the final battle with Naraku but I'll elaborate in future chapters.

Angelike Riddle: I know I liked it too ^_^

Me..: thanks for reviewing on both ff and mm ^_^

~*~

Mediaminer:

Eep it won't let me read them o\/o ok I'll do you guys next chapter! Ja na!

~*Napea*~