InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Confessions of Two Hearts ❯ With Patience ( Chapter 21 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha or any of the manga/anime characters. They belong to the wonderful genius Rumiko Takahashi. Any original characters do belong to me.
 
 
This was written for the monthly contest at the Hajimeru club at deviantART. The August prompt was “Empty.”
 
Title: With Patience
Rating: G
Genre: vignette
Type: Canon
Pairing: InuYasha/Kagome (implied)
Word count: 487
Summary: It's been three years since the Shikon no Tama was destroyed. InuYasha ponders the last three years as he waits by the well.
 
 
With Patience
 
InuYasha sighed as he looked over the edge of the well. `Still empty.' He jumped in just to make sure it had not started working again. However, just as every other time he'd visited, he landed at the bottom, still in his own time.
 
He leapt back out and settled on his knees, resting his forearms on the ancient wooden framework and his chin on his hands. The hanyou gazed wistfully into the structure, willing it to reopen. He went through this same routine every three days. Every time he came he wished that there would be a change, and even after three years, he had not given up hope.
 
InuYasha longed to see the miko from the future again. More than anything, he wanted to be reunited with her, for he had come to understand that the well wasn't the only thing that felt empty. His heart and his very soul suffered from a void, too. There was a large hole that only Kagome could fill.
 
He knew it was for the best when he returned her to her era after he had rescued her from the darkness. She had been scared to be trapped all alone in the emptiness of the Shikon no Tama, which wanted her to become ensnared in it forever with Naraku in order to begin a new battle. The hanyou had given her the hope and strength to purify the jewel, and then he'd taken her home. He'd left after seeing her safely in the arms of her mother, grandfather, and little brother. As much as he needed her with him, he understood that they loved her and needed her too.
 
He spent his days helping Miroku eradicate troublesome youkai for a fee or helping out around the village where he was needed. The hanyou even allowed Miroku and Sango's twin girls to play with him, though it was more like torment him if he was honest about it. However, they did not fill the hollowness that he felt without Kagome. If anything, they made him realize what he was missing and that in spite of his friends, he was lonely.
 
Kaede had surmised that Kagome's purpose was probably to vanquish the Shikon no Tama, and once it was gone there was no longer a reason for her to remain. But InuYasha still held hope. When he was trapped in the Meidou and was looking for her, he realized her fate was to meet him, and his to meet her. He knew, if he waited, if he did not give up hope, she would return. The hanyou was certain that Kagome felt like there was something missing just as he did - that there was an emptiness that needed to be filled. He had to believe that her heart felt the same ache that his experienced. If nothing else over the last three years, he had learned patience. And so he would wait.