InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Consequences ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own InuYasha. I do not own Kagome. I do not own the worlds they live in. I will not borrow other people's characters without a disclaimer. I will not eat chalk. I will not mock Mrs. Dumbface. I will not pretend I'm Bart Simpson writing sentences. End of Disclaimer.
 
Genre: Drama
Rating: PG-13
Codes: Inu/Kag, Mir/San (or canon)
Feedback: Is much appreciated. Flames are for candles, though, so please keep them to warm yourself.
 
_____________________________________________________________ _________________________________________

"Consequences"
_____________________________________________________________ _________________________________________

 
Part three
 
Kagome couldn't take it anymore. She was now five months pregnant and she heard the whispers in the halls at school. She didn't want to disappoint her mother any more, but she felt she had run out of options. So she packed her bag in secret and instead of going to school, she hopped down the well. She ended up on the other side, glaring up at the exit. Climbing in this state was horribly uncomfortable, but she knew InuYasha wasn't up there waiting for her. So she reached out and grabbed the vines and began pulling. She had to be careful at the top, so she didn't press on her belly, but she finally managed to maneuver out. She sat, panting and leaning up against the well, for a good several minutes. Then she forced herself up and walked to Kaede's village.
 
“Kagome?” called the familiar old voice as soon as she walked up past the river. Kagome waved at Kaede, tugging at her sweater that hid the visibly protruding tummy better than her school uniform did. She had to order a much larger uniform to cover her growing baby. She smiled at Kaede, who was staring in surprise at her swollen frame.
 
“Have you seen InuYasha?” Kagome asked. Kaede shook her head.
 
“What have ye done child?” Kaede asked. Kagome blushed.
 
“It's InuYasha's. My mother forbade me to return, but…” Kagome looked away in shame. A crack of thunder sounded overhead and a few raindrops began to fall. Kaede tugged on Kagome's arm in concern.
 
“Come, child, ye need to get out of this cold rain. Tis not good for the baby.” Kaede led Kagome to her hut and sat her down in front of the warm fire. Kagome sighed, not realizing how happy she would be to return. It felt like all the things that were wrong in her life were finally becoming right. “I will send out word to any that see InuYasha, to tell him that ye have returned.”
 
“Thank you, Kaede,” Kagome responded gratefully. Now it was just time to play the waiting game. In the meantime, Kagome went over all the lessons she would have been doing that day in class. She read until dinner, then ate with Kaede and resumed reading afterwards. She fell asleep right after finishing her math practice and dreamt that her mother came down the well looking for her. Only a couple hours after she fell asleep, something woke her up. She opened her eyes to see InuYasha, lying next to her. His eyes were closed and his breathing said he was sleeping very soundly. He had one arm draped across her chest. It was heavy and she shrugged it away uncomfortably. He opened his eyes, startled by her movement.
 
“Hey,” he said quietly, smiling.
 
“Hey yourself,” she whispered back.
 
“I missed you,” he confessed, stroking her hair out of her face. She leaned in and kissed him briefly, just happy to see him again.
 
“I missed you, too. I couldn't stay away, even with my mom forbidding me from ever coming back.”
 
“You really went against your mother?” InuYasha asked, surprised. “That's no good.”
 
“I know. I feel terrible. But I couldn't go without seeing you. It felt like there was a dagger in my heart,” she murmured.
 
“Everyone's been real upset that you never came back. I told `em about your mom runnin' me off when I came to get you. They don't get it and neither do I. Why would she want you to do this all alone when I could be helping you?”
 
“She's angry with me. She says I betrayed her trust,” Kagome said.
 
“I have to take you back in the morning,” InuYasha said quietly. Kagome nodded.
 
“Tell everyone that I miss them and I wish I could come back.”
 
“I will. But I'm coming back with you. Even if your mom hits me with a broom again.”
 
“She hit you with a broom?” Kagome asked, incredulously. InuYasha nodded.
 
“She hit me real hard, too. Left a big bruise.” InuYasha rubbed his head, lost in the memory. Kagome was torn between laughing and pitying poor InuYasha, facing her mother's wrath.
 
“Make love to me,” Kagome whispered. “If this is our last chance to be together, please let us be together.” InuYasha smiled and obliged her.
 

 
The morning came, as all mornings do, and they faced the well with trepidation. They knew all hell was going to break loose on the other side. They linked hands and jumped in. InuYasha lifted Kagome and jumped up and out. Her mother was waiting, fury clouding her features. Kagome hopped down and stepped back, afraid.
 
You,” Mrs. Higurashi hissed. “Go back. Now.” InuYasha's ears went back and his head dropped in fear, but he didn't obey.
 
“I can't,” he said. She took a step forward, her hand grabbing the broom she had set on the wall next to her. He closed his eyes and braced himself. Kagome realized that he intended to keep his promise to her, even if it meant letting her mother beat him senseless.
 
“Stop!” Kagome yelled. Mrs. Higurashi turned to her, glaring.
 
“I forbade you to go back there!” she said. “How could you, Kagome? How can I ever trust you again?”
 
“Look, I still don't understand why you don't want Kagome with me, unless it's because I'm a hanyo, but I promised her that I would help her with the baby if she wouldn't kill it. I'm not going to break my promise. If you want me to leave her, you're going to have to kill me.” InuYasha lifted his head defiantly, but there was no cocky smile of challenge on his face. There was no anger or fear. There was only sadness. Mrs. Higurashi saw it and let go of the broom.
 
“How could you?” she asked him. “My little girl…” Tears welled up in her eyes.
 
“Because I love her,” InuYasha said quietly, looking confused. “I want to be with her. Always. I didn't know she didn't want to get pregnant or I would have waited. I just wanted her to know that I love her.”
 
“And you couldn't just say it?” Mrs. Higurashi exclaimed. She was getting a hold of herself very quickly.
 
“Anyone can say it. Words can mean nothing,” InuYasha responded. “I'm sorry that I caused all this trouble. But it's not fair to either of us for you to punish us by not letting me help. That's my baby in Kagome. I have the right to take care of him.”
 
“Her,” Kagome corrected automatically.
 
“What?” InuYasha asked, confused.
 
“I'm carrying a girl.”
 
“A girl,” InuYasha repeated. “How do you know?”
 
“We can tell now. We have machines that see inside the human body,” Kagome answered.
 
“I don't like that you went against my direct wishes,” Mrs. Higurashi interrupted. “But you're right, InuYasha. It's not fair for Kagome to be alone when you're willing to take responsibility for your actions.” InuYasha looked at her like it might be a trick. He still looked ready to be hit again.
 
“Then he can stay?” Kagome asked, hopefully.
 
“You will not have sex under my roof, is that understood?” Mrs. Higurashi demanded. “From this point forward, you are both celibate until you are married.”
 
“Yes, ma'am,” they both answered in unison.
 
“I had better not regret this,” Mrs. Higurashi said.
 
“You won't, Mama,” Kagome promised. But one last thing remained to be asked. “About the feudal era?”
 
“Go ahead. But you must be careful,” she stressed.
 
“Oh, Mama!” Kagome cried happily, running over and hugging her mother impulsively. Her mother hugged her back.
 
“And you,” Mrs. Higurashi growled. InuYasha swallowed audibly, a look of fear returning to his features. “If she gets hurt, it's your fault. I don't want to see a scratch on her when she gets back!” InuYasha nodded vigorously. Mrs. Higurashi smiled weakly. “Have a safe trip.”
 
“I will, Mama, thank you,” Kagome answered. She took InuYasha's hand and smiled. They knew everything would be all right now. They turned back to the well and waved good-bye one last time before they jumped. They had their entire futures ahead of them and a quest to complete.
 

 
Epilogue
 
Kagome had her daughter, a silver-haired hanyo with pointed ears and golden eyes, a month early and in her own time period. InuYasha fulfilled his promise and Kagome was able to go to high school and search for the jewel shards, although she did collapse, three months after their daughter was born, from exhaustion. She was laid up for a month, then resumed her activities, taking it much easier. They located Naraku and Kagome had her mother watch her daughter during the big battle. Naraku eluded them and they tracked him down yet again. This time, the little girl was a year old. Naraku was defeated, finally, and everyone went their separate ways. Miroku and Sango were married and Sango bore him two children very quickly, much to his delight. A son, then a daughter. Shippo went his own way in the world. InuYasha came through the well to live with Kagome and their daughter. Kagome graduated from college with honors and opened her own veterinary clinic on the second year anniversary of her marriage to InuYasha.
 
As long as she kept the shikon no tama, Kagome was able to travel between the two times. She saw Japan transformed and the beginning of the Youkai Wars. She stopped going back then, for fear that InuYasha would be involved. They had a second child, a son, seven years after their first. The same age difference as Kagome and Sota. Kagome and InuYasha kept their promise to her mother and remained chaste until their wedding night. Kagome eventually regained her mother's trust and when she married InuYasha, it was with her mother's full blessing.
 
The End.
 
Notes: Wow, I wrote most of this in an all-night binge. It seems like there should be more than only 6,000 words. Admittedly, time was taken in researching certain concepts (such as common Japanese attitude towards teen sex, pregnancy and abortion, including spiritual repercussions according to the Buddhist faith, and which of Kagome's friends is the odd one out all the time--Ayumi). I have no beta, so all mistakes are mine, as usual.